ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Wins 2A Title

There you go again, name calling…
And your young children run out to join in.
Can’t we just all get along?

Leave a little room at the top of the billboard…
Over the word Football.
Just enough for “BOGUS”.
The last graduating class of the Cleveland High Tigers was in 1967. Beginning in 1967-68, almost all of students from Cleveland High merged with Shelby High (call it transferred, integrated or consolidated if you like).

The great Cleveland High School Hall of Famer Bobby Bell had graduated several years earlier. Bell eventually earned a spot in both the college and professional football hall of fame and won the Outland Trophy in 1962 while playing for the University of Minnesota.

I remember him playing for the Kansas City Chiefs but didn't realize he was from Shelby, NC. He's part of the great tradition of prep football in Shelby.

In Reidsville, Booker T. Washington High School closed with the final graduating class in 1969 and was absorbed into Reidsville High School. There were similar mergers all over the state, Shelby included.

Last edited:
The last graduating class of the Cleveland High Tigers was in 1967. Beginning in 1967-68, almost all of students from Cleveland High merged with Shelby High (call it transferred, integrated or consolidated if you like).

The great Cleveland High School Hall of Famer Bobby Bell had graduated several years earlier. Bell eventually earned a spot in both the college and professional football hall of fame and won the Outland Trophy in 1962 while playing for the University of Minnesota.

I remember him playing for the Kansas City Chiefs but didn't realize he was from Shelby, NC. He's part of the great tradition of prep football in Shelby.

In Reidsville, Booker T. Washington High School closed with the final graduating class in 1969 and was absorbed into Reidsville High School. There were similar mergers all over the state, Shelby included.

Nice try with your investigating efforts, TGT, but you are misleading, if not just mistaken.
By the time of your 1967 final graduating class of Cleveland High School, the majority of black students throughout the county were already in the white schools. That was just the culmination year of a prolonged enrollment over several years.
We know. Unlike you, we were there. We lived it.

Nothing about it at all like the full blown consolidation of Booker T Washington and Reidsville Senior. That was a true full consolidation of two independent high schools. As mentioned, it resulted in name changes, mascot changes, and further mergers in Rockingham County that should have resulted in viewing Reidsville High School as a fully new entity by the NCHSAA. Only the stated proud relationships the Reidsville faithful had with the powers that be in the WNCHSAA allowed you to proceed without a reset.
And we didn’t have to live yours. It is fully stated in the history of Reidsville High School.

Glad you mentioned Bobby Bell.
Simply put, Bell is the most accomplished football player to ever come out of a North Carolina high school. Along with what you mentioned, Bell was 3rd in Heisman Trophy voting, as a lineman, and a Super Bowl winner.
He was all state as a QB at Cleveland High.
He was accomplished at virtuall every position on the field, as Chiefs head coach Hank Steam noted. He also long snapped for every team he ever played for.
We claim him for Shelby, named an uptown pavilion after him and a major city street.
Some of his mementos are in the Shelby High trophy cases. His nephews played for the Golden Lions.
Bell takes in a Shelby game, from the sidelines, at least once a year. Great guy.

Members of golden scoop north(Reidsville) and golden scoop south(Shelby) can carry this thread into double digit pages with the back and forth, or it'll probably keep spreading out over different threads.

Lemme go warm some popcorn

Sadly Times have changed All the top teams got transfers Everybody’s doing it, Get on board or get left behind. Only need 1 or 2 kids to make a difference especially on the 1A and 2A level. It’s not the coaches that’s going out recruiting these kids, the parents want their kids to play for a great program and coach. Between Grimsley and Dudley they pretty much took a lot of best athletes in Greensboro.
What if they start pulling the high profile kids from surrounding counties?

Sadly Times have changed All the top teams got transfers Everybody’s doing it, Get on board or get left behind. Only need 1 or 2 kids to make a difference especially on the 1A and 2A level. It’s not the coaches that’s going out recruiting these kids, the parents want their kids to play for a great program and coach. Between Grimsley and Dudley they pretty much took a lot of best athletes in Greensboro.
Facts! It also helps having generational talent like Harrison and Neal, via basketball and AAU in their case, attracting other elite athletes to a program as well.

Reactions: TheMule
When Flippen ran that RB down is was like WOW … now that’s real speed And 0 😳 come on that’s a grown ass man playing with kids out there 😂.
No lie Reidsville was impressive !!!
Clinton was clearly a good team but scheme for the offense was terrible. You can’t just line up and run the ball every play … that was the down fall for Tarboro also they had zero passing . Now I have seen the guys sayin that Clinton did have a passing ability but just didn’t use it but Tarboro did not and they really need to fix that and Clinton needed to use it.
Yes clinton do. Qb had 1900 yards passing I think give or take a few yards. Some games he had over 200 yards passing. Didn't see it in the championship.

Reactions: Mopar forever
Yes clinton do. Qb had 1900 yards passing I think give or take a few yards. Some games he had over 200 yards passing. Didn't see it in the championship.
I heard it said in Reidsvilke previous 4 games the collected 8 interception. That might would make one hesitant about putting the ball in the air plus again the Horse’s didn’t have their leading receiver, rusher and TD for the last 3 games. That does kind of make a difference and will alter one’s gameplan

Last edited:
OK Reidsville fans, that’s it. I know a guy who does billboards across the state. Starting a go fund me for a billboard to be put up on main drag in Shelby that says:

“Visit Reidsville, the Football Capital of N.C.”
That would be a super troll … you could call the community communicator for the billboard in front of Walmart or a digital that’s in front of the high school 😂 😂😂

If I didn’t respect the vast majority of Shelby fans and their program in general, I would. But these guys……sheesh.
It would only impact one guy and his clones (whatever happened to 98 Champ?) .... most people have never heard of NC Preps anyway ... NC Preps posters are in a very small fraternity of high school football fans.

I really like the football schools that have the town names like Reidsville, Shelby, Tarboro, Mount Airy, Clinton, Robbinsville, Elkin, Thomasville, Lexington, Salisbury, Kinston and many others ..... seems like the small towns have the best support.

Sorry, but I can't identify with the compass point schools, who came up with that? ... seems like North Carolina has more than any. The new school in Alamance County was named Southeast Alamance ... why not Haw River High, the town where the school is located.

Why can't East Duplin be renamed Beulaville? This year, the football schedule included Eastern, South, Southwest and West.

Last edited:
It would only impact one guy and his clones (whatever happened to 98 Champ?) .... most people have never heard of NC Preps anyway ... NC Preps posters are in a very small fraternity of high school football fans.

I really like the football schools that have the town names like Reidsville, Shelby, Tarboro, Mount Airy, Clinton, Robbinsville, Elkin, Thomasville, Lexington, Salisbury, Kinston and many others ..... seems like the small towns have the best support.

Sorry, but I can't identify with the compass point schools, who came up with that? ... seems like North Carolina has more than any. The new school in Alamance County was named Southeast Alamance ... why not Haw River High, the town where the school is located.

Why can't East Duplin be renamed Beulaville? This year, the football schedule included Eastern, South, Southwest and West.
What do you expect in a compass point state? On a compass point continent!!!! In compass point hemisphere!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
If you dont think either has been approached in some way shape or form about transferring you're likely kidding yourself. Private schools are relentless.

I never said they haven’t been. I’m sure other players are talking to them as well. I just don’t think it will happen, but you never know

What do you expect in a compass point state? On a compass point continent!!!! In compass point hemisphere!!!!
Schools, when possible, need to be named after the city they are in.
North Carolina high schools with this compass point in the name:
Central: 5
East/Eastern: 21
North/Northern/Northeast/Northeastern/Northwest/Northside: 33
South/Southern/Southwest/Southwestern: 33
West/Western: 23
Total: 115

Just my opinion ... maybe most people don't care.

Check out this list of South Carolina schools (I didn't count the compass point ones, but not that many).

Reactions: Wizard of the East

Check out this list of South Carolina schools (I didn't count the compass point ones, but not that many).
Well I went to a compass point school, as did all of my children and most of my kin. This school was a combination of several rural elementary schools when it was started. I’m sure that most of these communities would not have taken too kindly to being called Ramseur High…🤷‍♂️
Oh and almost forgot, comparing anything done in our fair state to that one down south is just well ugh…😂

Last edited:
Well I went to a compass point school, as did all of my children and most of my kin. This school was a combination of several rural elementary schools when it was started. I’m sure that most of these communities would not have taken to kindly to being called Ramseur High…🤷‍♂️
Oh and almost forgot, comparing anything done in our fair state to that one down south is just well ugh…😂
I know ... just my silly opinion ... I get confused easily ... sometimes I can't remember which school is which.

Back in the day, there probably was a Ramseur High playing a Franklinville High in a big rivalry.

I'm thinking Eastern Randolph was one of the first schools named after a compass point, beginning around 1964?

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
I know ... just my silly opinion ... I get confused easily ... sometimes I can't remember which school is which.

Back in the day, there probably was a Ramseur High playing a Franklinville High in a big rivalry.

I'm thinking Eastern Randolph was one of the first schools named after a compass point, beginning around 1964?
fall of 1968 is when Eastern Randolph began...Reidsville resident Joe Swaim played on the 1967 Liberty football team...he's same age as me......ER played Reidsville in 1968 with ER winning 3-0.........................

fall of 1968 is when Eastern Randolph began...Reidsville resident Joe Swaim played on the 1967 Liberty football team...he's same age as me......ER played Reidsville in 1968 with ER winning 3-0.........................
I remember that game (I was in it) ... wasn't it played on the old Liberty field?

I agree!

Ramseur, Franklinville, Liberty, Grays Chapel and even little ole Coleridge all had their own High Schools. Each one was a rival to all the others. Of course it was mostly in all sports except football. My daddy played eight man football in 58. Wasn’t played again at my school until my eighth grade year in 76.
Gentlemen I loved the history lesson above. I even played football on that Liberty field as a skinny 13 year old who thought he was Roger Staubach…

Ramseur, Franklinville, Liberty, Grays Chapel and even little ole Coleridge all had their own High Schools. Each one was a rival to all the others. Of course it was mostly in all sports except football. My daddy played eight man football in 58. Wasn’t played again at my school until my eighth grade year in 76.
Gentlemen I loved the history lesson above. I even played football on that Liberty field as a skinny 13 year old who thought he was Roger Staubach…
…but threw like Billy Kilmer!!😂

Ain’t believing you’re a Cowboy.

Nooo…
Was a huge Kilmer fan but Staubach threw a better ball…
Even had a Skins jacket with the old gold emblem on it!!
If you’re interested…Wikipedia…Billy Kilmer… it’s a great read.

Here’s a snippet….the infamous Jim Marshall fumble return going the wrong way….it was Kilmer that fumbled the ball.

Who knew?

Btw….go Rams!😂

• Haha
Dang ER was even in the portal back then

Dang ER was even in the portal back then
I think he means the gentleman in question now currently resides in Reidsville…
Also looks like that gentleman played at Liberty High School NOT Eastern Randolph.
Do you ever have nice things to say about anything?
Bless your heart…

Last edited:
Reactions: rambbq
yep..........2 years later (1970) they played at the same site....had to broadcast the game on radio on top of the gym bldg......................Reidsville won big that time 38-7......................
I know it’s off topic of thread, and I apologize for that but, do you have records for ER/Reidsville all time record against each other? I know they were in same conference for a few years so have played a few not in playoffs.
And as said above
Go Rams 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I know it’s off topic of thread, and I apologize for that but, do you have records for ER/Reidsville all time record against each other? I know they were in same conference for a few years so have played a few not in playoffs.
And as said above
Go Rams 😂
Reidsville and Eastern Randolph have only played each other 9 times

1968....ER 3 Reidsville 0

1969.....Reidsville 31 ER 0

1970.....Reidsville 38 ER 7

1990.....Reidsville 19 ER 12 (playoff game)

1992.....Reidsville 24 ER 8 (playoff game)

2009.....Reidsville 50 ER 7

2010.....ER 50 Reidsville 23

2011.....Reidsville 14 ER 0

2012.....Reidsville 40 ER 13

All but the playoff years the two were in the same conference....Think these 2 need to play each other again...
Reidsville leads series 7-2...............................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT