ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy’s JK Adkins named 2023 NCPreps.com Coach of the Year

Congrats....would love to see him go to a bigger program. Mount Airy has been great and probably would be stupid to leave, but would love to see what he could do at a bigger program 3A/4A. He has had success at all places he has been. Obviously, MA has been the most, but just curious. Nonetheless, congrats and well deserved.

Congrats....would love to see him go to a bigger program. Mount Airy has been great and probably would be stupid to leave, but would love to see what he could do at a bigger program 3A/4A. He has had success at all places he has been. Obviously, MA has been the most, but just curious. Nonetheless, congrats and well deserved.
Well young fella hang around couple years if you do you may see him coaching 3a mt airy under new alignment just saying

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Is that probably because he's coaching against or did coach against one of your sons? Why would the coach go to a county system? Or a city system that wasn't as good as Mount Airy?. So he can run some offense where he has to throw the ball all the time. And look like the same old crap everybody else is playing. Where he has to worry about parents and boosters telling him what to do? It doesn't have anything like that where he is at now. He has carte Blanche. He would be stupid to leave plus he's well compensated. Probably one of the top paid coaches in the state. Those city systems they can do that. I'm sure you would love to see him go so my area to quit whipping your school's tail.

His first HC job was at South Iredell 2005-06. I am suprised a South Carolina School hasn't contacted him yet.

His first HC job was at South Iredell 2005-06. I am suprised a South Carolina School hasn't contacted him yet.

That's what folks do when they retire. It would be crazy for someone with the years in the system like Adkins to leave and go to another state. They wouldn't get their NC retirement and then would never put in enough years in SC to get their retirement.

That's what folks do when they retire. It would be crazy for someone with the years in the system like Adkins to leave and go to another state. They wouldn't get their NC retirement and then would never put in enough years in SC to get their retirement.
Very good point. I just can't believe the idiot that said he should go to a bigger school. I thought one a and 2A had by far the best football in the state this year. I don't know if those four teams in the state championship would have beat the four from the 3A and 4A however if they had to line up and mash each other for about a half I believe they would have done the most damage. Believe me. I've seen what can happen in a system where the parents make the decision for the coaches. Sure it pays off when you do somebody wrong like you win a state championship. With an ego maniac as your coach. Who goes and tries to get every job every year. Hopefully Greensboro page will do something with him.

• Haha
Reactions: BigRedFan27
Very good point. I just can't believe the idiot that said he should go to a bigger school. I thought one an and 2A had by far the best football in the state this year. I don't know if those four teams in the state championship would have beat the four from the 3A and 4A however if they had to line up and mash each other for about a half I believe they would have done the most damage. Believe me. I've seen what can happen in a system where the parents make the decision for the coaches. Sure it pays off when you do somebody wrong like you win a state championship. With an ego maniac as your coach. Who goes and tries to get every job every year. Hopefully Greensboro page will do something with him.
You sure like to call other people idiots yet you’re the one masquerading as another high schools fan lol. And for what? So you can boast about MA and appear unbiased. Weird thing to do.

You sure like to call other people idiots yet you’re the one masquerading as another high schools fan lol. And for what? So you can boast about MA and appear unbiased. Weird thing to do.
Nope not masquerading. Admiration for sure. But you are the illuminati man so I don't want to upset the balance of the universe.

• Haha
Very good point. I just can't believe the idiot that said he should go to a bigger school. I thought one a and 2A had by far the best football in the state this year. I don't know if those four teams in the state championship would have beat the four from the 3A and 4A however if they had to line up and mash each other for about a half I believe they would have done the most damage.

You made the statement regarding SC and then the “damage” statement. SC schools do not go after NC coaches, NC coaches go after SC jobs.

JK does not need to go anywhere to prove anything, he is winning state titles. Same as scheduling, he is winning state titles so there is nothing to fault.

If they are looking to step out and Ashe County will step aside I feel confident there are some really good teams that would travel to Mt Airy for a gate split. Why schedule Ashe and not Grimsley, Dudley, or another 3A or 4A power?

Wash your mouth out with soap! Adkins, Holder, Taylor and crew need to stay exactly where they are for about 20 more years. Or More.

You made the statement regarding SC and then the “damage” statement. SC schools do not go after NC coaches, NC coaches go after SC jobs.

JK does not need to go anywhere to prove anything, he is winning state titles. Same as scheduling, he is winning state titles so there is nothing to fault.

If they are looking to step out and Ashe County will step aside I feel confident there are some really good teams that would travel to Mt Airy for a gate split. Why schedule Ashe and not Grimsley, Dudley, or another 3A or 4A power?

Would be a tough sell to get a 3A or 4A team that will be in the thick of state championship races to schedule a 1A team that will have an OOWP that will hurt their RPI like Mount Airys will. Ashe helps Mount Airy more than others on their schedule because they are probably going to win 6-8 games and they play in a conference with Watauga and a few other schools are are going to finish .500 or better.

Surry Central is the one that really needs to go.

Reactions: sbbbfan

Because they can beat Ashe.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It would not make any sense for a 1a school to play Grimsley or Dudley. Getting drilled to start the season does not help your team.

Wash your mouth out with soap! Adkins, Holder, Taylor and crew need to stay exactly where they are for about 20 more years. Or More.
The only name on that list that matters is Adkins. Look at the improvements he’s made to your Offense and defense. The other two coachs are very good and HOFers in their own right but since JK got there the Shutouts and points have went way up compared to the last 5 when it was just the other two.

The only name on that list that matters is Adkins. Look at the improvements he’s made to your Offense and defense. The other two coachs are very good and HOFers in their own right but since JK got there the Shutouts and points have went way up compared to the last 5 when it was just the other two.
It's definitely a mentality. But don't discount the 6 guys they have on defense. Especially d line. 30 year vet caching the interior. Guy named Tucker from North coaching the outside guys and older Taylor overseeing it. I'm sure JJ would say the same. They have to lift and condition if they want to play. They show up 45 minutes before school to lift during the season then in the spring they all lift and run in the last period. It's a culture. But you are mistaken if you think they don't have great coaches at each position. Shoot got a 3 time star finalist ex head coach making those receivers block. Two very good dudes coaching the oline coaching a complex scheme that played for him at East Wilkes. Once again you prove it.

Is that probably because he's coaching against or did coach against one of your sons? Why would the coach go to a county system? Or a city system that wasn't as good as Mount Airy?. So he can run some offense where he has to throw the ball all the time. And look like the same old crap everybody else is playing. Where he has to worry about parents and boosters telling him what to do? It doesn't have anything like that where he is at now. He has carte Blanche. He would be stupid to leave plus he's well compensated. Probably one of the top paid coaches in the state. Those city systems they can do that. I'm sure you would love to see him go so my area to quit whipping your school's tail.
Huh? It amazes me how you adults act like kids with the things you say. I don't, nor would I, live remotely close to Mt. Airy; however, I've known JK for a long time and have supported him along the way. It would be nice to see him move up the ranks no matter what level.

Only need 8 years in SC...ask Tom Knotts how that is working out!!

Huh? It amazes me how you adults act like kids with the things you say. I don't, nor would I, live remotely close to Mt. Airy; however, I've known JK for a long time and have supported him along the way. It would be nice to see him move up the ranks no matter what level.
He did move up the ranks when he came to Mount Airy and was able to win Back-To-Back State Championships in his first 6 years there with only 3 losses in 4 of those years and 2 State Championships. He may want to spend more time at Mount Airy since he found a school that can win for him and learned his coaching style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearfan71
Dadof23, what is your issue? Mt Airy is just a great little town with a whole bunch of great people. While I was born in Surry County, I did not grow up here, other than 2 of my children I have no family here. I moved here by choice for work and have not regretted it for one day.

I can not even begin to understand who licked the red off your candy about Mt Airy.

Dadof23, what is your issue? Mt Airy is just a great little town with a whole bunch of great people. While I was born in Surry County, I did not grow up here, other than 2 of my children I have no family here. I moved here by choice for work and have not regretted it for one day.

I can not even begin to understand who licked the red off your candy about Mt Airy.
I don't have an issue with Mt Airy as I'm sure it is a great place to live. I said, personally myself, would never live in that area. I didn't say anything bad, just my personal preference. And I even said JK would be stupid to leave MA, but as someone who has watched over the years, wish he would move up...maybe even get a college job in some capacity. Nothing wrong with that.

Pardon me for asking isn't Dadof 23 a Draughn poster from way back in 22 when Mt airy handed it to them easily that didn't make it this year just curiosity I could swear I've seen him post before

Pardon me for asking isn't Dadof 23 a Draughn poster from way back in 22 when Mt airy handed it to them easily that didn't make it this year just curiosity I could swear I've seen him post before
Oh yeah he is. When you guys ran that high flooring coach and his boys that he couldn't control into the ground. At least he wasn't the one that was on living vicariously through his boy. Good to see his boy is overcome his dad's interference. Think he's going to Lenoir then e isn't he. Good old draughn. I don't guess we'll be hearing from him anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how you guys have got your undies in a wad because someone said they wouldn't live in Mayberry
NO, it was the unnecessary PUT DOWN of Mt Airy.
I am not sure where Dadof23 lives but if it is Valdese (or Rutherford College or Drexel) I would never put that community down. I lived in Valdese for 4 years, built a home there, love the community. But even if I had not, I would not put them down. I believe all these various communities are my neighbors. I would put them down and I just called out someone, perhaps not meaning to, putting down Mount Airy.

I am not sure where Dadof23 lives but if it is Valdese (or Rutherford College or Drexel) I would never put that community down. I lived in Valdese for 4 years, built a home there, love the community. But even if I had not, I would not put them down. I believe all these various communities are my neighbors. I would put them down and I just called out someone, perhaps not meaning to, putting down Mount Airy.

That's pretty soft to think someone saying they wouldn't live close to Mount Airy is a putdown.

I'm sure you have places you wouldn't want to live.

Last edited:
How was that a "PUT DOWN" to any place or anyone? I simply said, if you would have read, that I, meaning ME, would like to see JK, a friend, get a chance to coach at a bigger place to see what he can do. I didn't say better place or school and as a matter of fact I even said he would probably be stupid to move. I only mentioned I would never live in that area after being called a jealous coach, a disgruntled parent, and other things. I've been a supporter of MA mainly because of JK over the years and still would like to see him get a "bigger" job (no matter the $$) and maybe even a college coaching gig in some capacity. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
How was that a "PUT DOWN" to any place or anyone? I simply said, if you would have read, that I, meaning ME, would like to see JK, a friend, get a chance to coach at a bigger place to see what he can do. I didn't say better place or school and as a matter of fact I even said he would probably be stupid to move. I only mentioned I would never live in that area after being called a jealous coach, a disgruntled parent, and other things. I've been a supporter of MA mainly because of JK over the years and still would like to see him get a "bigger" job (no matter the $$) and maybe even a college coaching gig in some capacity. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
It did not hurt my feelings, and since I obviously misread your intentions, I am truly sorry. Thank you for clarifying.

It's definitely a mentality. But don't discount the 6 guys they have on defense. Especially d line. 30 year vet caching the interior. Guy named Tucker from North coaching the outside guys and older Taylor overseeing it. I'm sure JJ would say the same. They have to lift and condition if they want to play. They show up 45 minutes before school to lift during the season then in the spring they all lift and run in the last period. It's a culture. But you are mistaken if you think they don't have great coaches at each position. Shoot got a 3 time star finalist ex head coach making those receivers block. Two very good dudes coaching the oline coaching a complex scheme that played for him at East Wilkes. Once again you prove it.
Idk if you’re misunderstanding me I said they had two hall of famers on staff besides him. I just think you need to realize they weren’t performing to the level they are now before JK and they won’t be after him. They’ve averaged what 7-8 shutouts a year since he got there ? And since he got the two guys from East and changed offenses they’ve avg what 50 a game ? I’m not saying they won’t be really good after him sure they’ll be the same as they were from 2010-2016 which was still really good football and maybe even the best in this area but you won’t win the way you are now when he’s gone. His weight room program is amazing, the mentality that Mount airy has and plays with is JK’s mentality. Idk why you parade around as an East surry fan the fact you know so much about Mount airy id guess you’re a kid who played at Mount airy in the last 3-4 years.

if I’m not mistaken before he left East for Mount Airy he did have several 2A and 3A jobs he interviewed for and got but always turned them down. If he wanted the bigger job where you could win consistently if the program was good then he’d have stayed at South Iredell

Only need 8 years in SC...ask Tom Knotts how that is working out!!
That comment makes zero sense. Get your time in NC and pull the retirement pay while you earn more in SC than you would in NC plus years in your second system.

Would be a tough sell to get a 3A or 4A team that will be in the thick of state championship races to schedule a 1A team that will have an OOWP that will hurt their RPI like Mount Airys will. Ashe helps Mount Airy more than others on their schedule because they are probably going to win 6-8 games and they play in a conference with Watauga and a few other schools are are going to finish .500 or better.
I feel confident the number one rated team in NC, a private school, would have went there and played them this past season.

It would not make any sense for a 1a school to play Grimsley or Dudley. Getting drilled to start the season does not help your team.
As I wrote in my post, they are winning state titles so why change. If they wanted to step their game up to the level their fans think they are those the type of teams you would be playing.

As I wrote in my post, they are winning state titles so why change. If they wanted to step their game up to the level their fans think they are those the type of teams you would be playing.
A school with 600 students and almost no transfers playing Grimsley with 1800 plus and recruits from local schools big mismatch.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I just thought I would let you know that I don't think Adkins will be going anywhere anytime soon,

At tonight 1/4/2024 the City of Mt Airy Commissioners meeting the 2023 NC 1A Football Champions were recognized for their outstanding season & Mayor Jon Cawley made 2 special announcements: 1st that Friday, Jan 5, 2024, has been proclaimed “Coach JK Adkins Day” in the City of Mt Airy (1st Coach in the programs 103-year history to win back 2 back
🏆
) & that Sunday, Jan 7, 2024, has been proclaimed “Granite Bears Football State Champions Day.

That along with being named NCPreps Coach of the Year, why would he want to move on somewhere else at this time in his career? You can say Mount Airy made it happen or he made it happen and you would be correct because they did it together, it took the school, the football players, and JD Adkins as a Team to do it. I say he can do it again. I hope he makes it an annual happening.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT