ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle vs Concord

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sway1532 I wouldn't say the single wing was a success. We caught Thomasville off guard for one series and didn't get another first down the rest of the game. I am a fan of a qb under center or in gun. The direct snap to the rb is a gimic. Any good team will sniff that out, as Thomasville did. We can't throw the ball. We can't kick/punt which is going to be a nightmare. We have no Oline. We have no Dline. I'm not buying it until we play WS. That will be a good test. Unfortunately the real test will be against Chathem Central.

@sway1532 I wouldn't say the single wing was a success. We caught Thomasville off guard for one series and didn't get another first down the rest of the game. I am a fan of a qb under center or in gun. The direct snap to the rb is a gimic. Any good team will sniff that out, as Thomasville did. We can't throw the ball. We can't kick/punt which is going to be a nightmare. We have no Oline. We have no Dline. I'm not buying it until we play WS. That will be a good test. Unfortunately the real test will be against Chathem Central.

Susan, you were right a few days ago when you said that Thomasville showed Albemarle too much respect on that series. After that, Albemarle looked like they were trying to claw themselves out of a wet paper bag. There was no rhythm on offense, and that was in the backfield and the offensive line. Thomasville could simply dominate the line of scrimmage. As some self-proclaimed expert on this site would say, even Stevie Wonder could see that.

This will be a long season for Albemarle. Not all of these freshman will stay at Albemarle. The really good ones will end up migrating to other high schools. Others will simply go to different sports. The program will be in disarray for several seasons. One Albemarle assistant coach that will remain nameless called me up and said that some of the parents were appalled that their kids were being used as tackling dummies. This is a lethal situation in Bulldog land.

I have said this time and time again. We have to some how survive the first 4 games. I don't envy coach mason and the task he has in front of him. Will these kids stick it out the first 4 games. I don't see anything coach mason can do . We will be outmaned in the next 3 games. I don't see anything he can do to change that. Big question is will the kids tough it out through this stretch..That is the question?????

I have said this time and time again. We have to some how survive the first 4 games. I don't envy coach mason and the task he has in front of him. Will these kids stick it out the first 4 games. I don't see anything coach mason can do . We will be outmaned in the next 3 games. I don't see anything he can do to change that. Big question is will the kids tough it out through this stretch..That is the question?????

That's the only way to measure success in the first 4 games. Thomasville brutalized them, and so will Concord, West Stanly, and East Montgomery. How many kids will leave because of what happens on the field? If all stays...and it could happen, Albemarle will probably have some success come 2018. Otherwise, this quality of play could stick in Albemarle for the next several seasons.

Albermarle is done. Graystone Academy saw to that. I was there last month to test drive a motorcycle. Nice campus surrounding the White Castle. Locating it directly behind the college was a huge strategic move. Very well thought out decision.

Albermarle is done. Graystone Academy saw to that. I was there last month to test drive a motorcycle. Nice campus surrounding the White Castle. Locating it directly behind the college was a huge strategic move. Very well thought out decision.

Nice school too. I like it when kids say "Yes Ma'am", "No Ma'am", "Yes Sir", and "No Sir". Nice to hear a "Thank You!" too.

Albemarle has seen it's glory days...nice ten year run. Put the Bulldogs down and out of their misery. Keeping that place open only delays the inevitable. If I had a son playing on that team the first thing I would be concerned about would be his well being. The Concord game will hopefully not get anyone hurt. Like I stated earlier, Karma is dealing Albemarle just what it deserves.

Did anyone see the Albemarle stands this past Friday? I don't want to hear the excuses like "this was before schools started", "it was raining", "we were going to be spanked" or "it was too far". I saw no more than 75 fans in the Albemarle stands.

If you are going to build a program, your fan base needs to come out and support the team.

Susan, you were right a few days ago when you said that Thomasville showed Albemarle too much respect on that series. After that, Albemarle looked like they were trying to claw themselves out of a wet paper bag. There was no rhythm on offense, and that was in the backfield and the offensive line. Thomasville could simply dominate the line of scrimmage. As some self-proclaimed expert on this site would say, even Stevie Wonder could see that.

This will be a long season for Albemarle. Not all of these freshman will stay at Albemarle. The really good ones will end up migrating to other high schools. Others will simply go to different sports. The program will be in disarray for several seasons. One Albemarle assistant coach that will remain nameless called me up and said that some of the parents were appalled that their kids were being used as tackling dummies. This is a lethal situation in Bulldog land.
@Earnhardt Forever very good post. I unfortunately couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Football question. Think the point spred for a running clock is 42. But I thought the running clock could not start till the start of the 3rd quarter. Anybody.....

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Football question. Think the point spred for a running clock is 42. But I thought the running clock could not start till the start of the 3rd quarter. Anybody.....

It can start in the first half once the 42 pt difference is there per both coaches agree.

Albemarle will be fine this year. Get through this game Friday and get back to work. WS is improved but to act like they are on the level of Tville is crazy same with EM give the kids a chance. See what they can do and learn through these two games. Remember folks they are young.

What if the point spred drops below 42 in the second. Does that affect the running clock?

What if the point spred drops below 42 in the second. Does that affect the running clock?

Yes once the point spread drops below the 42pt the clock stops again.

I have to say y'all I'm disappointed in the bulldog supporters here. I am all for being realistic but to sit there and talk doomsday on this team and school is just shameful. Support your dogs or don't fellas. The fact that you are discounting these kids before they play a 1a team amazes me. They are young of course when the rain starts coming down Tville is going to dominate them they simply don't have the strength yet to compete. But don't discount that drive in the first quarter TVille was coming after them and those boys executed great. Additionally watch that game again in the first quarter when Tville scored. We had them at 4th and 10 Tville through it out guy was in position Tvilles wr pushed off as our guys was in the air. Our kids played great the first quarter and just need to improve on that.

At the end of the day fellas it's not where you start but where you finish. These kids need our support and putting in the work whether we struggle or not they deserve our support as fans. They will get there. And before you start discounting them out against some of these 1a teams and even WS let them play that level of comp first and see how they do. You can make a lot of improvements in a couple of weeks especially with a young group.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Question bulldognation. Someone told me they just put the single wing in last Monday. If that is true they had less than a week to work on it......

Question bulldognation. Someone told me they just put the single wing in last Monday. If that is true they had less than a week to work on it......

I'm not sure Buddy. I can tell you that the first quarter these boys were doing great and executing well. I imagine fatigue played a part in it as well. Anytime you have a young team you have a long checklist that you need to accomplish before your first game. So it is very possible. Watching these guys I would say we are going to see a completely different team than we saw week 1 than we will week 3 or 4. The exciting part with a young team especially one with some talent is that when that ramp up hits, it's fun to watch. These boys just have to stay focused on working playing hard and continuing to get better.

Not sure of the specifics on this regarding the "mercy rule" currently but when the rule was first implemented a few years ago there were complaints from coaches that once the score dropped below 42 point differential the running clock continued. Was this changed?

Not sure of the specifics on this regarding the "mercy rule" currently but when the rule was first implemented a few years ago there were complaints from coaches that once the score dropped below 42 point differential the running clock continued. Was this changed?

No. Once the lead is 42 or more points, the running clock is mandatory and will remain until the end of the game. It doesn't matter if the losing team gets within 41 points....the running clock is still on.

I'm not sure but I know I have been a part of games where we were above the mercy rules and once we got below the mercy rules after I subbed the clock would stop again. I looked at the official mercy rule and it doesn't specify I will post that below.

I question if some of you actually "Watch" football or attended some of the middle school games...or even seen the D1 and D2 kids for Albemarle? If you can't can't raise your hand to all three; then please hush. As far as Graystone goes, how many of those kids actually played football? moving on.

I myself will admit that I did not like the last regime at Albemarle, and yes Albemarle has had it's issues...just like every other "Public" school has. West Montgomery is no Harvard and Albemarle is not Afghanistan. I refuse to kick my own "Dog" while its down. These fair-weather fans in Albemarle makes me sick to my stomach. Every-time we touch the field, the expectation is "Total Domination" well you know what...it's not gonna happen on your time. When these kids are well matured in their high-school career they will be good.

I totally understand on why the parents are appalled, hell, I would be too. But I would also understand what they are dealing with. Makes me wonder if that "Parent" went to Albemarle and actually graduated from there... I have a friend who's son is on the team who's a freshman. The kid is "Babied Faced" and has never played a down in his life, his father was an great athlete and graduated from Albemarle, you think he's worried about something like this? True fans understand the circumstance. That means...get your arse in the weight room and come out next year to deliver the "Butt Hurt".

Funny
I question if some of you actually "Watch" football or attended some of the middle school games...or even seen the D1 and D2 kids for Albemarle? If you can't can't raise your hand to all three; then please hush. As far as Graystone goes, how many of those kids actually played football? moving on.

I myself will admit that I did not like the last regime at Albemarle, and yes Albemarle has had it's issues...just like every other "Public" school has. West Montgomery is no Harvard and Albemarle is not Afghanistan. I refuse to kick my own "Dog" while its down. These fair-weather fans in Albemarle makes me sick to my stomach. Every-time we touch the field, the expectation is "Total Domination" well you know what...it's not gonna happen on your time. When these kids are well matured in their high-school career they will be good.

I totally understand on why the parents are appalled, hell, I would be too. But I would also understand what they are dealing with. Makes me wonder if that "Parent" went to Albemarle and actually graduated from there... I have a friend who's son is on the team who's a freshman. The kid is "Babied Faced" and has never played a down in his life, his father was an great athlete and graduated from Albemarle, you think he's worried about something like this? True fans understand the circumstance. That means...get your arse in the weight room and come out next year to deliver the "Butt Hurt".

Funny part sway when they start delivering the beatings again and people start complaining about it, we can just refer them here. LOL

Like I said before I am interested to see them on the field with WS and EM because as good as I think they are they won't have the physical presence as a Tville or Concord IMO.

Reactions: sway1532
By the way they are talking, West Stanly should win a state title this year...along with East Mont. Heck, by the way they are talking, we may loose to South Davidson.... 0-11 sounds about right this year.

The other end of the mercy rule is for the losing team to do their part to run the clock prior to the automatic decision. Going in to a Concord game...even in the good years, Albemarle would be wanting to limit possessions for Concord. Milk the play clock as low as you can prior to every snap...BEFORE the score gets out of hand. Three deep passes and a punt eat no clock. (I know you guys on here already know this...)
As for preaching gloom and doom.... You know that the YVC is top heavy with Montgomery county schools, but by the time AHS plays the rest of the league, injuries and other issues plaque the entire YVC. The outlook might be a little better in October than it is vs. Concord this week. Hang in ....support your local team.

By the way they are talking, West Stanly should win a state title this year...along with East Mont. Heck, by the way they are talking, we may loose to South Davidson.... 0-11 sounds about right this year.

EM impressed me last year, I don't think they will be close to a state title, WS won't win their conference let alone a state title. If they do I will be the first to step up and congratulate them. TVille and concord both 3rd rd or beyond level teams. Very strong. That's a huge difference.

I want to see how the west Mont and Tville turns out. Last year was a huge battle between the two.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Thomasville and Concord will be the 2 best teams we play this year. WM will probably come in third. I for one know what the coaches stragedy is at this point but can't spill the beans. Sorry folks. I believe you will see a hugh difference in this team after the Concord game. Remember you heard it here.
Now I am going to take the Albemarle Fans to task. During our championship run in the playoffs I saw promiment people at the games because it was the social thing to do. Haven't seen any of them since..lol Bandwagon fans. We have got plenty of them.. They make me SICK. I have supported the dogs win or lose for many, many years and will continue to do so as soon as this cancer lets up on me.
I think btango alluted to this. Freshman on varsity even if out of necessity is a great chance for these kids. Take advantage of it guys. Lot of kids would love to be in your shoes. I believe this will be an exciting year for the dogs even with the losses, as we build for the future..........

Last edited:
Tango also said that Mason was the best X's and O's guy in the county, for people to say that Albemarle looked distraught when playing against T-Ville is crazy. New offense and new coach, there will be some missteps. Talking about T-Ville showed us respect??? How Sway? 51-6 is definitely showing r-e-s-p-e-c-t lmao! I just can't with some people lol. No rival is going to show their arch enemy any respect. When you get on that field, it's business. You show respect after the game when you shake hands! GTFOH!

@Buddy Rich Mason ain't crazy. He has a bad rap because of his temper from what I heard. And when he was at North Stanly, they didn't have those type of athletes they do now....a lot of kids from Albemarle moved in NS district that's all... I can probably name 10 kids parents you when to Albemarle and now are playing for North Stanly.. I can't wait to see how they do against West. Even though I think they will lose, I wouldn't be shocked if Albemarle walked in there "Babied Faced" and all; and whoop that you know what!

Just a thought regarding the single wing. Mason coached at East Carteret under Donnie Kiefer. Donnie Kiefer has worked with former South Stanly and Princeton coach Harvey Brooks, likely one of the top two living 'gurus' of the single wing in the state (Dr. H.T. 'Toby' Webb being the other). I know Kiefer used the SW at both Roanoke and East Carteret, where he had highly successful programs. The SW is not a 'gimmick' offense as one poster stated, and I believe that if a team were to install it as its base system, it would experience some success, if for no other reason than many current coaches and players have never seen it.

I for one LOVE the single wing. Watched Toby Webb run it my 5 yrs in hs and watched Statavich {spelling} run it 4 yrs at Lenoir Rhyne. It's in my genes. You never see it run anymore and I'm not sure why. We may or may not run it the entire season, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. It kinda makes an old man feel young again. Thank you coach Mason.

Last edited:
I for one LOVE the single wing. Watched Toby Webb run it my 5 yrs in hs and watched Statavich {spelling} run it 4 yrs at Lenoir Rhyne. It's in my genes. You never see it run anymore and I'm not sure why. We may or may not run it the entire season, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. It kinda makes an old man feel young again. Thank you coach Mason.

Agree 100% Buddy. I grew up watching it run at South Stanly during the Harvey Brooks days. When it's run well, it's a thing of beauty!

If we can stay pretty much injury free I think we have 4 winnable games this season. CC, SD, UA and SS. We could win all 4, lose all 4 or somewhere in the middle. jmo
As for tomorrow night I just hope Concord goes easy on us. I fully expect their kids to play hard weither they are on first, second or third string. That's what you're suppose to do. I think our kids will compete as best they can. I fully expect an early running clock. Best of luck to the dogs......

LOL. Almost a page of the specifics of the mercy rule even days before Albemarle takes the field?

Albemarle is about to enter into once again a major beatdown. Concord, which had little offense against Brown, is about to take out their frustrations on a weak Bulldog team. West Stanly will smack them around....no need kidding ourselves. East Montgomery will also destroy Albemarle. As such, understanding the running clock will be important.

Albemarle is about to enter into once again a major beatdown. Concord, which had little offense against Brown, is about to take out their frustrations on a weak Bulldog team. West Stanly will smack them around....no need kidding ourselves. East Montgomery will also destroy Albemarle. As such, understanding the running clock will be important.
Now that is just too funny EF. That must be depressing to fans from Midland to Sleepy Richfield. Once a proud program reduced to clarity on the mercy rule. I read above that 75 fans attended their game last week. I'm guessing that was more or less parents of players. Another indicator of a lost program.

Reactions: atucker2

Sad, but true.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT