ADVERTISEMENT

AC Reynolds vs New Hanover State Championship

Rockets fan

Nov 29, 2017
Well the time has come. We are down to the two best teams in the state. Both are very good and have earned the right to be here. In my opinion I think that it will be a low scoring game. My prediction is AC 28-NH 17 and Rockets will be State Champions...again! Go Rockets!

Reactions: HitmanT
I have a couple questions for you Reynolds guys.

It's pretty well known around wnc and now Nc that Shane laws is a hell of a coach. Much like former tc Roberson coach Mike Houston, is there a likely possibility that coach laws could be headed to a college coaching position in the near future? There was a comment made on 570 last night in the pre game that kind of hinted at that possibility. I have to imagine he is college coaching material like coach brooks at Franklin was and coach Houston at Roberson was. Has anybody heard that in rocket land? Laws has those guys buying in no doubt.

Also, over this past summer everybody knew Nathan St onge would be Reynolds qb in 2017. Then one day in the summer 5 months ago, WLOS is showing how rising junior Alex Flinn has won a national skills competition for AC Reynolds high school and everybody I know said to each other, "who the hell is Alex flinn? I thought St onge was their qb. Surely to God Reynolds isn't going to have this kid and not start him at qb are they".
Where did flinn come from? Is he new to the school system or something? He just kind of came out of nowhere. Great player

I don’t know what Coach Laws’ plans are for his future. I wouldn’t blame him at all for wanting a college job. Selfishly, I hope he stays at ACR for a long time.

Alex Flinn has always been in the ACR system and has been a very good QB. He comes from a great family and he works his tail off and it it’s showing. I think he has gotten stronger, more accurate and mature over the last couple of seasons. I think the addition of Coach Shoop has helped him as well in the knowledge and maturation as a QB. I’m glad he is a junior and coming back next year.

Reactions: proudACRdad15
I don’t know what Coach Laws’ plans are for his future. I wouldn’t blame him at all for wanting a college job. Selfishly, I hope he stays at ACR for a long time.

Alex Flinn has always been in the ACR system and has been a very good QB. He comes from a great family and he works his tail off and it it’s showing. I think he has gotten stronger, more accurate and mature over the last couple of seasons. I think the addition of Coach Shoop has helped him as well in the knowledge and maturation as a QB. I’m glad he is a junior and coming back next year.

I selfishly wish he leaves after this year for a college coaching position lol.
I'm really surprised flinn wasn't seen until now. What were y'all doing over there? Keeping him a secret or something?

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I selfishly wish he leaves after this year for a college coaching position lol.
I'm really surprised flinn wasn't seen until now. What were y'all doing over there? Keeping him a secret or something?

I also seen that earlier video before the season on WLOS about Flinn, and wondered why he wasn't starting earlier in the year if he had the capability that he was touted to have...Seems that the Rockets' coaching staff found a way to get both those guys on the field at the same time, and it has paid huge dividends since that loss to Shelby...Found it interesting the other night that after that big 2nd half run by Flinn, St. Onge played QB the next 2 plays on the TD and the 2pt conversion that was perfectly executed to tie the game at 25...Saint Onge is a very good possession receiver for the Rockets, and a more than capable backup QB if needed....

I can say without a doubt that Flinn and Howell are two of the best Jr QBs in the state, and both will likely play on Saturdays after next season, and wouldn't at all be surprised to see another head-to-head matchup between those two next season...

One thing is for sure: Both those guys put on a show last friday night, and this High School Football fan really enjoyed it!

Again, Good luck to the Rockets this week in the title game against the New Hanover Wildcats!

Last edited:
He and St. Onge played a lot at QB against Shelby and then the decision was made to go solely with Alex except for some certain situations and personnel groupings. Alex played some last year at QB but played mostly at slot receiver. I really think the added year of maturity and skill development has really got him going. I also think, like I said before, the addition of Coach Shoop has really helped him understand what to look for and his decision making. He has always had arm talent but the experience and knowledge this year is making him a top player in N.C.

Houston hired on at Brevard college under bobby poss when they started their program. after a couple of years there he went to l-r under goldsmith and the rest is history. laws and family are entrenched in the community and I don't see him leaving before retirement.he could stop coaching but I think he would wait until he has his 30 in before leaving.

I don’t see Laws leaving at least until his two oldest girls graduate. They are 8th graders I believe and love soccer and are really good at it. I believe the girls want to stay at ACR and play soccer for the school they grew up loving and play for Coach Gladys and his soccer program.

When you get to the 3rd and 4th rounds most teams have qb's that are really good. Flinn throws a great ball and has showed his wheels the last few games. The one thing that stands out to me, he's a winner! Makes big plays in big situations! Tough kid who has taken some big hits staying in the pocket. Opposing highly recruited QB's when placed in game changing / game winning situations can't get a ball within 10 yds of a receiver. The defensive play of ACR has A LOT to do with opposing QB success. Looking for the ACR success led by Flinn to continue this weekend at Duke.

When you get to the 3rd and 4th rounds most teams have qb's that are really good. Flinn throws a great ball and has showed his wheels the last few games. The one thing that stands out to me, he's a winner! Makes big plays in big situations! Tough kid who has taken some big hits staying in the pocket. Opposing highly recruited QB's when placed in game changing / game winning situations can't get a ball within 10 yds of a receiver. The defensive play of ACR has A LOT to do with opposing QB success. Looking for the ACR success led by Flinn to continue this weekend at Duke.

I agree 100%. All the players are “play makers” and Flynn has certainly made a name for himself. Coach Laws has made great adjustments throughout the year and I expect that to carry over Saturday. We look forward to a good game and glad we get to go. Go Rockets!

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I'm a cougar so you know it pains me to say it, but Reynolds has the best coach in the mountains. Yes I know the Murphy coach has won 849 games the last 47 years, but Reynolds makes the best in game adjustments of any team I've ever seen. When they have a bad half, they keep it close and then in the second half you know they will be better. They don't wow you with speed or size but God are they smart and good tacklers. Aka coaching. The perfect example of that is Nathan st onge. The guy isnt some superior athlete but he's probably the most valuable player on the mountains best team

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I'm a cougar so you know it pains me to say it, but Reynolds has the best coach in the mountains. Yes I know the Murphy coach has won 849 games the last 47 years, but Reynolds makes the best in game adjustments of any team I've ever seen. When they have a bad half, they keep it close and then in the second half you know they will be better. They don't wow you with speed or size but God are they smart and good tacklers. Aka coaching. The perfect example of that is Nathan st onge. The guy isnt some superior athlete but he's probably the most valuable player on the mountains best team

Coach Laws is a great coach, and he has a great coaching staff too. I was lucky enough to play on his first two teams, and you couldn’t ask for a better coach to play for. How he handled the Jave Jones shows you all you need to know on what kind of person he is. He has a pretty amazing record too. If he wins Saturday you could argue he has the best coaching resume in Buncombe County history.

Overall: 112wins and 35 losses
Playoffs: 21 wins 9 losses
Conference Championships: 8
State Championship Apperances: 2
State Championships:1 going for 2

Hello all!

I can give a bit of insight to some of the questions and comments above. Where did Alex Flinn come from? He's always been there. He just hasn't quite fit into the Reynolds running scheme and there is no doubt that Nate St Onge is a great athlete!!

We have had Alex in NFA camps since he was 10 or 11. These are unaffiliated camps that travel all across the country. The camp is lead by Coach Daren Slake and his son. In these camps, the QB's are instructed in throwing technique, reading defenses and, perhaps most importantly, what it takes to become a leader. During each of these camps, QB's are selected that, in the coaches opinion, are performing at least a grade level above their current grade to attend a national competition called the Duel. This is the competition that Alex participated in and won this past summer.

For those that have followed Reynolds, you know that they we have been traditionally a running team. This year, when Coach Shoop arrived, in my opinion, he saw the potential for Alex to throw and use the tremendous athlete that Nate is in other positions.

I think it's a great set up; St Onge is such a tremendous athlete. The 570 guys call him a swiss army knife. He can do it all!! He is so quick and has the extra year of experience. Combine that with the pre snap read ability of Alex and his ability to read the defenses and you have a winning combination.

I haven't seen film, yet, on New Hanover. But, one thing is for sure: Give Alex time and he will pick you apart.

Hello all!

I can give a bit of insight to some of the questions and comments above. Where did Alex Flinn come from? He's always been there. He just hasn't quite fit into the Reynolds running scheme and there is no doubt that Nate St Onge is a great athlete!!

We have had Alex in NFA camps since he was 10 or 11. These are unaffiliated camps that travel all across the country. The camp is lead by Coach Daren Slake and his son. In these camps, the QB's are instructed in throwing technique, reading defenses and, perhaps most importantly, what it takes to become a leader. During each of these camps, QB's are selected that, in the coaches opinion, are performing at least a grade level above their current grade to attend a national competition called the Duel. This is the competition that Alex participated in and won this past summer.

For those that have followed Reynolds, you know that they we have been traditionally a running team. This year, when Coach Shoop arrived, in my opinion, he saw the potential for Alex to throw and use the tremendous athlete that Nate is in other positions.

I think it's a great set up; St Onge is such a tremendous athlete. The 570 guys call him a swiss army knife. He can do it all!! He is so quick and has the extra year of experience. Combine that with the pre snap read ability of Alex and his ability to read the defenses and you have a winning combination.

I haven't seen film, yet, on New Hanover. But, one thing is for sure: Give Alex time and he will pick you apart.
Well Reynolds is very lucky to have him. The best qb in wnc and the best head coach in wnc is why you are playing Saturday and all of us are sitting here waiting on the next Crezdon butler or Johnny white to come through the door.

Well Reynolds is very lucky to have him. The best qb in wnc and the best head coach in wnc is why you are playing Saturday and all of us are sitting here waiting on the next Crezdon butler or Johnny white to come through the door.

Thank you for that. There is no doubt that the Reynolds defense is stout this year and that O line gives Alex time and, dang, Idre Bell and the receivers are great. I think it's the right formula this year... It's going to be a long week waiting... LOL. I think I'm more nervous than Alex is!

Isn't New Hanover the team that played Roberson for the baseball title as well?

Reynolds has to cut down on false starts this week. It has plagued them the past couple, and has probably taken some points off the board. If they can cut those out I think Reynolds should be bringing home another title this year.

It's crazy how things can change so much in high school football so quickly.
In 2014 Asheville was top dog in WNC and Reynolds fans were on here were asking "what has happened to the ac Reynolds football program? Since we have gone to the spread we have gotten so soft. I remember the days when Reynolds used to hit you."
Fast forward 3 years later and Reynolds is in a state championship game, asheville hasn't won a damn playoff game since then and all the Asheville fans are saying "what in the hell has happened to our program? These last 2-3 classes have been terrible"

Houston hired on at Brevard college under bobby poss when they started their program. after a couple of years there he went to l-r under goldsmith and the rest is history. laws and family are entrenched in the community and I don't see him leaving before retirement.he could stop coaching but I think he would wait until he has his 30 in before leaving.

They were only there one year. Started a team of nearly all freshman and won 3 games in BC's first ever year of football and first ever year at D2. Rumor was that Poss demanded the college start taking football seriously if they wanted to jump into this and elevate what they had built. Higher ups got mad and fired him. Proved to be one of the best things for Houston. He got noticed by some of the teams they were playing and L-R hired him as DC the following year. He ended up the HC after Goldsmith moved on.

Funny thing is that Clay Helton was an assistant under Goldsmith at Duke. Goldsmith's coaching tree could prove to be very good.

Anyone seen New Hanover play this season? What do they have? I have read about their QB. Top 3 in passing yards in the state. How's their defense?

Anyone seen New Hanover play this season? What do they have? I have read about their QB. Top 3 in passing yards in the state. How's their defense?

I honestly haven’t seen much on them. The QB seems to be a good passer but doesn’t run much (45 attempts for -2 yards). Hey have 2 receivers with over 1000 yards receiving. They average 290 passing a game and 149 rushing a game. QB is completing .567 percent of his passes (prior to last game, those stats aren’t up yet). Defensively they give up roughly 16 points a game.

Reactions: Blackhawkdown93
QB and WR's are on the same page they know each other well. The offensive line can be taken advantage of.

Defensively they are good against the pass, but well well coached against the run. Defensive line is easily one of the better units on the field.

Good luck Rockets hope it's a fun game.

Coming into this season the main concern was on the defensive side of the ball. I think everyone around the program expected the offense to be able to score.

The D has been a pleasant surprise and, in my opinion, is led by the LBing corps. I think the back end has stepped up and played well too. Even in their loss to Hoggard, I believe they only gave up 250 yards or so.

The Cats are well coached. I am impressed with their ability to adjust at half time. They have been down by 2 scores in each of the last two games at the half.

I was definitely impressed with their two goal lines stands against E Guilford. I think EG ran 6 plays inside the 5 with 4 being inside the 3 yard line. (I know EG posters think they may have gotten in)

The QB likes to share the ball and has about 4-5 receivers he trusts.

Maybe Port City will chime in with his thoughts. He is not a NHHS guy but his posts are fairly accurate.

The Cats are pretty good and well coached. I know nothing about ACR and, even if I did, I usually don’t make predictions.

Looking forward to cheering on the orange and black this weekend.

Maybe we can win our 4th championship.

Reactions: JeffFriday
One has to be impressed with NH road here. After a tough loss to their cross town rival NH had an easy 1st round game but then had Dudley, CF and a red hot EG team. I have read of some good Jr QB on this thread and NH has one as well. Walston is the kind of QB that can make throws that most can't. The stats look similar for both teams on offense. Both love to throw it and can mix in runs as well. NH can put together scores in a hurry but they can give it up in a hurry too. I think they will score points and they can win if their defense can make some stops at crucial times. NH throws it around to 4 diff guys but Wiz is their best player. ACR rec numbers are very similar. ACR defense looks to have better numbers but NH has played a more difficult scd. This game may come down to a defensive stop at the end of a half or the end of the game.As mentioned above, NH only loss was to Hoggard who now looks to be a top 5 team in the state. ACR only loss was to Shelby which is a very good team as well.

its hard making predictions when you know very little about the opposing team. that being said im figuring were the underdog again this week.defense wins championships.last week our defense stood up in the secong half and held s iredell to 6 points.im expecting the rocket defense to do it again saturday. our qb and the rest of the offense has proved themselves week after week in the playoffs. acr 31 n. hanover 17 go green

Reactions: Rockets fan
its hard making predictions when you know very little about the opposing team. that being said im figuring were the underdog again this week.defense wins championships.last week our defense stood up in the secong half and held s Iredell to 6 points.im expecting the rocket defense to do it again saturday. our qb and the rest of the offense has proved themselves week after week in the playoffs. acr 31 n. hanover 17 go green
Sun valley you mean

Thanks Dogs. We are rooting for WRH too. Would love to be able to watch the 2-A games too. I will be at the Rose Hill Restuarant next week and I hope I can celebrate with Donnie.

Last edited:
This is Reynolds 5th appearance in a State Championship game and we have never scored more than 14 points, despite that we are 3-1. Offense wins games, defensive wins championships and we should have the best defense New Hanover will have seen. Despite that we will have to score more than 14 points to win this game. Fortunately I think this may be our best offense to reach the title game. A big factor in this game will be the atmosphere, it is really different playing in a HUGE college stadium compared to a high school stadium. I know it sounds silly but it makes a difference, our coaching staff has been there and knows how to prepare for that atmosphere. The weather will be big too, especially if it is windy passing may be more difficult. I think one of 2 things happens, either Reynolds does have the best defense New Hanover has seen and wins 21-14, or Wiz Vaughn is just too much and New Hanover blows us away. In the last 33 years we have been blown away very seldomly in the playoffs so I go with Reynolds beating a very good New Hanover team 21-14. You know what they say, never pick against your team. Everyone be safe. Go Big Green!!!!

I'm no expert on eastern North Carolina football, but every highlight I see of new Hanover, it looks like they are playing the worst teams in the country. Do any players from new Hanover have big time offers? That qb last week from sun valley was probably the best qb I've ever seen. Will be interesting to see how this kid plays

I'm no expert on eastern North Carolina football, but every highlight I see of new Hanover, it looks like they are playing the worst teams in the country. Do any players from new Hanover have big time offers? That qb last week from sun valley was probably the best qb I've ever seen. Will be interesting to see how this kid plays

Nobody on Hanover has big time offers. QB is going to State to pitch if he doesn't get drafted. MEC is super weak, but Hanover has some impressive wins in the non-conference schedule and playoffs. Only loss to a Hoggard team that went toe-to-toe with Scotland County. Hoggard defense probably just as good as ACR's.

All I know is that if it is close, Reynolds will win. Reynolds wins every single close game it seems like. Last week they won by 3 in a game they led 4 out of 48 mins. Last time they won a state championship they won their third round game, fourth round game and state championship game by a combined 4 points. They just find ways to win close ones

Reactions: proudACRdad15
Yes, the MidEastern conference was very weak this year but NHHS has played 4’games against last years state champions or runners up. A very good non conference schedule.

We do not have any players with big time offers. If Wiz was 2-3 inches taller he would be heavily recruited in my opinion. QB’s brother is a tight end at UNC but he is much heavier.

Appears QB is set on baseball and some folks believe he will never step foot on NC States campus as he will be drafted early. He was thinking about not playing football this year but he said he has gotten the spark back. As Port City has said, he can make throws a lot of QBs can’t. His arm strength will widen the field and make the defense work a little harder.

Coach Smith has been around a long time and I know he will have the Cats prepared for a very good Rockets team. Only one coach left in the playoffs has more wins - Reidsvilles Coach Teague.

Well it’s snowing today in Asheville and school is closed. Good luck Rockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT