ADVERTISEMENT

AC Reynolds vs New Hanover State Championship

Great ball game! NH answers but misses the PAT! 20-17 NH 3Q. That Vaughn kid for NH is a stud.

[QUOTE="BiltmoreCANE, That Vaughn kid for NH is a stud.[/QUOTE]

You sir are correct.

Time becoming an issue for Reynolds! NH forces a 3 & out and scores the TD. 27-17 NH 6 minutes in the 4Q.

That qb and wiz Vaughn were amazing. I can't believe I'm saying this but new hanovers coaches found out they could run on Reynolds and I didn't think it could be done. To win by double digits over Reynolds with over 100 yards in penalties and do it running the ball is something I never thought would happen.

I have to say as a neutral observer of this game. The refs took 7 from ACR, gave NH 7 on a clear goal line stand and then should have called PI on NH alot more especially at the end of the game. Piss poor officiating in this game. Congrats NH that #7 kid is a stud and congrats on a great year ACR.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Congrats NH. Knew they were a team to keep an eye on when I heard they put it on Heritage in a scrimmage.

I have to say as a neutral observer of this game. The refs took 7 from ACR, gave NH 7 on a clear goal line stand and then should have called PI on NH alot more especially at the end of the game. Piss poor officiating in this game. Congrats NH that #7 kid is a stud and congrats on a great year ACR.
The call of "incomplete pass" on that first possible td was certainly controversial, but this was the second game in a row I've seen the Reynolds opponent have over 100 yards in penalties

I have no skin in the game. That was the most poorly officiated State Championship game I have ever seen, especially relating to the biggest plays in the game. How do you totally miss 3 of the 4 biggest play calls in the game.

That said, Reynolds got outcoached and NH ran it down their throats. The coach for NH can make some serious adjustments between series. The Rockets have nothing to be ashamed of, they were there, and had a great season.

Last edited:
i agree it was horrible officiating. but the difference in the game was their number 7 late in the game. we knew he was geting the ball and we couldnt stop him. congrats to n hanover. that set of refs shud be disbarred in my opinion.lol the snow and state championship games dont seem to agree with us. we lost in the 89 state championship game after a huge snowfall and the game getting moved to sunday afternoon. were still sooooo proud of our rockets. we had a great year so dont hang your heads. GO GREEN

Rockets had a good year.Last week against Sun Valley they couldn't stop Reynolds in the fourth quarter..This week it was just the opposite.

I have no skin in the game. That was the most poorly officiated State Championship game I have ever seen, especially relating to the biggest plays in the game.
It would be the second worst for me. The 2011 West Stokes - Kinston game is by far the worst I've ever seen. Kinston got absolutely hosed in that one, and I say that as a westerner.

Reactions: Lion Attack
I was absolutely shocked at how little pressure ac Reynolds got on the new Hanover qb. I don't think he touched the ground the entire night. Even coach laws said at halftime "we have to get some pressure on him".

You can't let a 6 foot 4 d1 qb sit back there with that arm with no pressure. It really surprised me they couldn't get to him after they got to Sam Howell so often last week. That throw on the 75 yard td pass across the middle was a missile.

When I watched Wiz (#7) on film he didn't really impress me that much. Nothing about him really stood out that much. But to do what he did to Reynolds in that second half with their front 7 was gutsy. He was everywhere offensively and the new Hanover coach put them in the right spots.

Last edited:
I was absolutely shocked at how little pressure ac Reynolds got on the new Hanover qb. I don't think he touched the ground the entire night. Even coach laws said at halftime "we have to get some pressure on him".

You can't let a 6 foot 4 d1 qb sit back there with that arm with no pressure. It really surprised me they couldn't get to him after they got to Sam Howell so often last week. That throw on the 60 yard td pass across the middle was a missile.

When I watched Wiz (#7) on film he didn't really impress me that much. Nothing about him really stood out that much. But to do what he did to Reynolds in that second half with their front 7 was gutsy. He was everywhere offensively and the new Hanover coach put them in the right spots.
Earlier in the week I mentioned that very thing about Walston. If you get him moving and feeling the pressure you can slow them, if not he will make throws that most defensive players haven't seen. Many times the defense knows where their guy is but they don't think the QB can get the ball there but Walston can make just about any throw when he is comfortable. If Wiz was 6"2 he would have dozens of D1 offers. He is a player. Great season to both schools.

I thought both teams were very evenly matched....With that said, I thought the catch by the Rockets' WR Williams in the first half was a TD, and the great catch by the Wildcats' WR on 4th down deep in Rockets' territory in the 2nd half should have been ruled incomplete because he was out of bounds when he caught the ball....Also didn't see a holding call on the Rockets at the Wildcats 2yd line....And NO, I'm not a Rockets' fan or part of their alumni base, but I was rooting for the Rockets...It was most definitely a poorly officiated championship game IMO, and those two plays where the Rockets TD was ruled incomplete, and the 4th down catch by the Wildcats' WR that was ruled complete which led to an eventual TD, were two plays that had a definite impact on the outcome of the game.....When two teams are evenly matched as the Wildcats and Rockets were, a couple of bad or questionable calls by the officials can make all the difference in the outcome of the game...New Hanover may have still won the game in spite of those blunders by the officials, but I think the game would have been much closer, and could have been a memorable overtime championship thriller instead of a 10 point win for the Wildcats?...

Still have to give New Hanover credit because they did make some big plays in the game like that long pass/run for a TD after the Rockets had taken a brief lead....It was a perfectly thrown pass...The Wildcats' running back also put on a show in the 2nd half, and was the difference in the outcome in the end because the Rockets' defense could not seemingly make a stop when they needed too, so I guess that credit should also be given to the Wildcats' offensive line which did a great job in helping the Wildcats secure their first state football championship...

Congrats to the Wildcats!

Congratulations to New Hanover on winning the state championship .... Wiz Vaughn has been one of the best football players I've seen this year play and he didn't disappoint last night

Congratulations New Hanover, you played a great game. The bad call that cost Reynolds a td in the first half changed the complexity of the game for sure. If we are up 14-7 at half time and go up 17-7 with the the second half drive it may be us celebrating. The bottom line is we gave up 20 points in the second half and the last 2 tds were long drives where everyone knew they were going to run up the middle and we just couldn't stop them. Reynolds turned it over twice and New Hanover was great in the red zone.
I said we would win, unless we couldn't stop Wiz Vaughn, well we couldn't stop Wiz Vaughn so we lost. The kid is good, but make no mistake his O-line did a great job as well. Enjoy it New Hanover, they are hard to come by and are to be cherished. As for my Rockets, I am proud of you and I love you. We will be back giving it our all next year.

JMO-

I thought the TD by 17? in the endzone, but other then that I thought the game was pretty fairly officiated.

I thought both teams were very evenly matched....With that said, I thought the catch by the Rockets' WR Williams in the first half was a TD, and the great catch by the Wildcats' WR on 4th down deep in Rockets' territory in the 2nd half should have been ruled incomplete because he was out of bounds when he caught the ball....Also didn't see a holding call on the Rockets at the Wildcats 2yd line....And NO, I'm not a Rockets' fan or part of their alumni base, but I was rooting for the Rockets...It was most definitely a poorly officiated championship game IMO, and those two plays where the Rockets TD was ruled incomplete, and the 4th down catch by the Wildcats' WR that was ruled complete which led to an eventual TD, were two plays that had a definite impact on the outcome of the game.....When two teams are evenly matched as the Wildcats and Rockets were, a couple of bad or questionable calls by the officials can make all the difference in the outcome of the game...New Hanover may have still won the game in spite of those blunders by the officials, but I think the game would have been much closer, and could have been a memorable overtime championship thriller instead of a 10 point win for the Wildcats?...

Still have to give New Hanover credit because they did make some big plays in the game like that long pass/run for a TD after the Rockets had taken a brief lead....It was a perfectly thrown pass...The Wildcats' running back also put on a show in the 2nd half, and was the difference in the outcome in the end because the Rockets' defense could not seemingly make a stop when they needed too, so I guess that credit should also be given to the Wildcats' offensive line which did a great job in helping the Wildcats secure their first state football championship...

NH has won 4 state championships, 27,28,51,17

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick

I feel a big issue with officiating, especially in the State Championship games, is the use of 7 officials instead of the normal 5 used leading up to these games. Why? I've seen the line judges not make calls appearing to wait on the official, added in the defensive backfield, to make the call. A few years ago while attending the Shelby/Clinton playoff game in Winston-Salem, a Clinton runner ran a sweep around the left side of play and was clearly 2 feet out of bounds. Neither official made the call, appearing to expect the other to make the call, and the play went for 20+ yards farther than it should be.Unfortunately for the NCHSAA the camera crew was right on it and it was shown on the play review board and was too obvious. It's my opinion that the 7 man crews confuse the officials more than helps them.

I'm probably old school, but when basketball changed to 3 officials, I saw then and still do, especially at the high school level, officials deferring their call to another official and sometimes even acting as if it's not their call as an excuse for an obvious call not made. Sometimes too many is too much!

Why use 7 instead of 5? Is it to reward 2 more officials in the games, that would mean 16 total for the Championship games alone, or to officiate the game better. If that's the case why not use 7 for every high school game from the onset of the season?

After looking at the other forums, this thread has been by far the most civil. Not sure why, but most of the known NHHS posters did not post and the thread was carried by AHS and ACR posters.

PortCity has knowledge about Wilmington football but he is Hoggard guy.

Would have loved to have had more input from the NHHS family but we are really limited in what we knew about the Rockets. What we know now is that we were fortunate to win and there is probably not a dimes difference in the two teams.

It has been a long wait since 1951 (I wasn't born then). We had a major officiating snafu at the end of the eastern championship on 1991(I think) and we made it to the eastern championship two more times without success.

Some older fans may recognize the names of some of our alumni.
Sonny Jurgensen
Roman Gabriel
Clyde Simmons
Trot Nixon
Alge Crumpler

If you are ever in Wilmington, Brogden Hall is a great venue to watch basketball. The Cats’ basketball teams have a rich history and if you like defense then you will love the Cats.

We are losing a lot of seniors but we will also have some good players back. Maybe we can schedule another December date with the Rockets.

Thanks for keeping the posts positive.

I was at that game in 91 and that was the worse call I have ever witnessed, or should I saw no call. There were some questionable calls in this years game and many went NH way. Maybe they were due those calls.

I agree there were some questionable calls during the game - the non touchdown being clearly missed.

As a NHHS fan I usually look for calls that go against my Cats. There were a few but none that directly took points off the board. The non pass interference on the first series (on the stop and go route) could have been a TD but we didnt get to see the finish of the play which would take a throw and catch.

I will give the officials credit, they were in the right position to make most of the calls, even the ones they missed. (Tough to be a highschool official with the big screen replays)

Speaking of the 1991 call - it still haunts me. I think every official on the field could have thrown a flag on the last play of the game. Players running every which way when the ball was snapped.

Talked to someone that knew the dad of the southview center. He said that he snapped the ball before the clock went to 0. He didnt wait on the QB to call for it.

Yes and there were at least 3 guys still in the end zone from the previous play when the ball was snapped. Not to mention others that were running to get back but were not back in time or set. Just awful! I know most of these tough calls are bang bang but this was plain awful!

Reactions: Trench Fighter
I have never been in or seen such a stunned crowd. We stood there speechless for what seemed like 10 minutes, hoping someone would step up and wave it off

Okay my curiosity is up, I have to see that 1991 play you guys suffered through. Sounds horrible! Post a link or give me a play by play on what happened! Oh and congratulations on the win this year, it was a tough loss for us but it’s over and we move on.

Okay, hopefully Port will fill in the missing info.

The 91 Cats were led by QB Trot Nixon, RB Antwan Patrick (michigan st) and a very tough defense.

Southview was led by head coach Bobby Poss.

We were coming off a win against Richmond County that ended their 52 game win streak.

As I recall, the Cats had the ball late in the game trailing by 2. Nixon threw a designed skip pass behind the line if scrimmage and the D pulled up thinking it was an incomplete pass. WR took it inside the 5. I looked at the scoreboard and said, I hope we don’t score too soon and give them too much time to counter. I believe we scored the next play. NHHS up by 5.

There were about 1.5 mins left or less. SV moved the ball down the field aided by penalties and good plays. We moved RB Patrick in as a DB and he knocked down a ball that would have ended the game but he was called for interference.

With less than 10 seconds SV ran a play and were stopped short of the goal line as the clock was winding down. The fans were celebrating and some of the NHHS players on the field were too - less than 4 secs left

SV players were scrambling to get back onside and there was movement everywhere - hardly anyone was set. The ball was snapped and thrown to an uncovered receiver in the endzone. No flags. SV 37 NHHS 36

I believe SV went on the win the championship the next week.

Help me out Port

Southview got championship rings. We got an apology letter from the North Carolina high school athletic association.

Last edited:
Wow!!! That is amazing. I talk to Coach Poss often during the football seasons and I haven’t known to ask him about this one. I’ll be sure to chat him up about it next time I see him!

On another note, and I’m not going to say what game, but we lost a playoff game on a bad call and also received a letter from the NCHSAA after we sent video in to them. It was a double pass which the officials said the first pass was forward, the video clearly showed it was two yards backwards to a receiver. Tough loss, but a letter is all we got!

SV beat W. Charlotte 10-7 to win the state championship.
The kid who caught the winning TD was in the end zone from the previous play and never left the end zone and then caught the pass. Let that one sink in for 26 years. That NH team was one of the best if not the best team to come out of Wilmington. They were nationally ranked. The late coach, Joe Miller never won it all but probably would have in 91.

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
It still stings Port.

ReynoldsRocks - ask Coach Poss about it. Would like to know his side.

Gotta love the center for SV. Got on the ball, found the clock and snapped it before all 0’s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT