ADVERTISEMENT

#9 SW Edgecombe(9-1) @ #1 Tarboro 1A (10-0)

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Alright. Let's talk about it. By the time the new AP rankings come out, SWE will probably be ranked in the top 10 2A, but at the time of this posting, they are in the 11 spot. Meanwhile, Tarboro has been #1 in 1A from the beginning, and with good reason. God, are these guys dominating! You might look at their scores and think that their offense is unstoppable, but the truth is, it's their defense that's the real deal. When your defense gets you the ball a hundred times a game, you can't help but score so many points. We all know the Tarboro T is nearly unstoppable as it is anyway.
Im glad that this game is being made up. It is the biggest game on each team's schedule for sure, but either result does Tarboro no good. Only being allowed to use a ten game record for the playoff, they are already 10-0. Won't change if they win. And if they lose, they will just drop it to remain 10-0. I guess having a playoff atmosphere game prior to the actual playoffs is something, but I wouldn't risk injury if I was them. The gate will be outstanding though. As for SWE, we totally need this game. At 9-1, if we lose, we'll just drop it to remain at 9-1, but if we win, we will be 10-1 and drop that non conference loss to be 10-0 for playoff purposes and a possible #1 seed.
I'm shocked that no one is talking about SWE, even though they are ranked in the top 10 in most of the rankings and polls that we follow, with the exception of Carolina Preps, who has them at 19, and here lol. The adjusted MaxPreps rankings have them at #5, and #4 in their regular rankings. But who knows how they come up with their stuff? I'll admit that SWE's strenth of schedule isnt that great, but still, the only loss came to #5 4A South Central (10-0) by 7, and even then, we had the ball at the SC 15 as time was winding down in that game before a few mysterious calls moved us back and back and back. And SWE just dismantled then 8-1 Beddingfield at their place with the conference championship on the line. Truthfully though, the conference wasn't that strong this year, but it is rated better than Tarboro's conference. And as good as Tarboro's defense is, the defense of SWE is doing pretty well too. The point total for SWE is 423-89 (42.3-8.9). Tarboro's point total is, good lord, 571-25 (57.1-2.5). Those are great numbers by both teams, but neither team has faced the caliber of each other this far. It's going to take a perfect game to beat Tarboro. The edges won't be there because they are quick. The interior holes won't be there because they are strong. I think we have a chance. But I won't take any bets on it. Tarboro could win the 2AA championship.
So let's talk about it. I know the last thing I just said will rile up the 2A board. Lol.
But as for Tarboro and SWE, who ya got?

Last edited:
Should be a good one.....FWIW calpreps.com says Tarboro 31 SWE 21.............good luck to SWE...hope you win...............

Should be a good one.....FWIW calpreps.com says Tarboro 31 SWE 21.............good luck to SWE...hope you win...............
I'll take that. Just as long as we aren't another blowout on their resume.

Should be a good game. But with the NCHSAA using maxpreps adjusted ranking you no longer get to drop a loss. SWE still should be a top 5 seed.

Should be a good game. But with the NCHSAA using maxpreps adjusted ranking you no longer get to drop a loss. SWE still should be a top 5 seed.
REALLY? That's news to me. Oh wow. Then I have no idea why this game is being played, other than for the community. County rivals.

How is this swe team compared to the 2009 team?
Geez, that's a tough one. That team outscored opponents by 25, while this one outscores them by 32. However, the 2009 squad played and defeated the likes of Northeastern, Kinston, Tarboro, Hunt, Rocky Mount, and Northside-Jacksonville. Could this year's version go thru that schedule unscathed? Idk. If we had that schedule this year and won them all like they did in 09, we would have to be #1 lol. The schedule this year was nowhere near as tough. One thing this year's team has over the 09 team is that we actually pass it a bit now. We should eclipse 1,000 passing yards Friday, which may be a game's worth for Reidsville, but it would actually be a school record for SWE. So, by the numbers, the offense and defense are way better this year, but the competition was not.

Officially a Top 10 matchup in Edgecombe County. Can't wait for it.

cougars-join-firebirds-in-ap-state-rankings,149510
http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/cougars-join-firebirds-in-ap-state-rankings,149510

Geez, that's a tough one. That team outscored opponents by 25, while this one outscores them by 32. However, the 2009 squad played and defeated the likes of Northeastern, Kinston, Tarboro, Hunt, Rocky Mount, and Northside-Jacksonville. Could this year's version go thru that schedule unscathed? Idk. If we had that schedule this year and won them all like they did in 09, we would have to be #1 lol. The schedule this year was nowhere near as tough. One thing this year's team has over the 09 team is that we actually pass it a bit now. We should eclipse 1,000 passing yards Friday, which may be a game's worth for Reidsville, but it would actually be a school record for SWE. So, by the numbers, the offense and defense are way better this year, but the competition was not.
The '09 team lost to undefeated state champion Reidsville by 2 points. If this team wants to be considered better than the '09 team, they need to do something no other SWE team has done. Go to the ship.

The '09 team lost to undefeated state champion Reidsville by 2 points. If this team wants to be considered better than the '09 team, they need to do something no other SWE team has done. Go to the ship.
Had we not waited till the the last 3 seconds of a 2 point game against the #1 team on a mud slopped field in the 3rd round of the playoffs to attempt our first field goal of the year, that championship visit may have already taken place. We just cannot get over the hump.

All the 2009 team accomplished was soaking the field before the Reidsville game. If Reidsville had played swe on the field I saw the previous week, Reidsville wins by 20.

A rain delayed game the previous Saturday was played on a field with only 2-3 yards of mud on the edges. After only 1.5 inches of rainfall the entire week before the Reidsville game, the Rams arrived to see a field that was a complete pig sty.

Someone soaked that field. You all know they soaked that field. And you lost anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarVikes
All the 2009 team accomplished was soaking the field before the Reidsville game. If Reidsville had played swe on the field I saw the previous week, Reidsville wins by 20.

A rain delayed game the previous Saturday was played on a field with only 2-3 yards of mud on the edges. After only 1.5 inches of rainfall the entire week before the Reidsville game, the Rams arrived to see a field that was a complete pig sty.

Someone soaked that field. You all know they soaked that field. And you lost anyway.

Sorry you are still bent about that 9 years later, RR90. I am a Tarboro fan that has watched many games on that field and I can assure you there was no foul play there. The field at Southwest is historically terrible. It doesn't seem to have a crown and thus tends to not drain well. It's also at the bottom of the hill, so guess which direction water goes? As dominant as Reidsville has been through the years, I suppose you have to look pretty hard for things to gripe about. If you really think SWE athletic officials created an unsafe playing environment that increased injury risk to their own athletes all for the sake of winning a single game, then reason just eludes you.

Sorry you are still bent about that 9 years later, RR90. I am a Tarboro fan that has watched many games on that field and I can assure you there was no foul play there. The field at Southwest is historically terrible. It doesn't seem to have a crown and thus tends to not drain well. It's also at the bottom of the hill, so guess which direction water goes? As dominant as Reidsville has been through the years, I suppose you have to look pretty hard for things to gripe about. If you really think SWE athletic officials created an unsafe playing environment that increased injury risk to their own athletes all for the sake of winning a single game, then reason just eludes you.

Am I bent? I guess so.

The drainage or lack there of was greatly discussed at the time on these boards. In 2009 the field was basically a bowl created by an elevated track.

I can only state the facts and my own observations. The field I saw the previous Saturday only 24 hours after rain was in great shape. As stated there was only slick areas near the edge of the field. The following Friday night 48 hours after rain that field was a mess.

You can bring up safety all you want. The fact remains, that field was soaked artificially.

And swe lost.

Lol. This guy. I'll give you a pass, since you don't know anything about the area. Had you looked behind you, you probably would have seen the creek that floods every time someone spits in it. You acknowledge the rain the previous week. You acknowledged the rain the week of the game. Now combine that with a patch of land that's in the shape of a bowl on what was made out of swampy area that still has a bankless creek a few yards away. In late November, when it was barely getting over 50 degrees. Whats funny is Reidsville jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Y'all were whooping us.

You can bring up safety all you want. The fact remains, that field was soaked artificially.
That is not a fact. Those teams were #1 and #2 in the state. Both teams had to play in the same conditions and #1 was 2 points better than #2. The fact that you are still bringing it up nine years later makes me wonder. What's your take on Roswell? Kennedy Assassination? The lunar landings?

Reactions: SWE'98
Lol. This guy. I'll give you a pass, since you don't know anything about the area. Had you looked behind you, you probably would have seen the creek that floods every time someone spits in it. You acknowledge the rain the previous week. You acknowledged the rain the week of the game. Now combine that with a patch of land that's in the shape of a bowl on what was made out of swampy area that still has a bankless creek a few yards away. In late November, when it was barely getting over 50 degrees. Whats funny is Reidsville jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Y'all were whooping us.
Let's call it what it is. Southwest plays their football games in a ravine!

I still fail to see your argument. If this is all the fault of the ‘creek’, explain why the footing was solid the week before with more rain.

I wouldn’t say I really dwell on this game. Again, swe lost. But it was effective. The soaking did it’s job. The highest recruited player in 2009 was basically taken out of the game. I don’t recall his name ever being mentioned by the announcer that night.

Thanks to the nchsaa conference committee, no one has scored on the Rams in two months. We have to find something to talk about.

I’m not familiar with Roswell. Kennedy wasn’t pulled off by one man. The moon was well, interesting. But this is coming from the only guy in America who thinks both the OJ jury and Zimmerman jury got it right.

Mr. KW, where do you usually sit?
I'm usually in the middle section about 10-12 rows up to the right of the press box. I normally don't wear a hat, but I'll dust off my retro Orioles cap so I'll stand out in the crowd.

I'm usually in the middle section about 10-12 rows up to the right of the press box. I normally don't wear a hat, but I'll dust off my retro Orioles cap so I'll stand out in the crowd.
I may seek you out during halftime. I planned on sitting somewhere near the edge, in case I have to jump.
Go Orioles!

Saw you with 25 on the pregame clock. Walked over to say hello, but you disappeared. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT