ADVERTISEMENT

SW Edgecombe 42 Whiteville 28

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Maybe it was because we all played on Thursday here in the east last week, but it has been a long wait for round 2 to get here. But here it is, and all the smack talk, compliments, research, and film watching comes to an end, and the games begin!
I will be the first, but not only one, to tell you that I was looking at a SWE/WRH matchup this round. I was nervous to face them, but also excited, because I have never seen the prestigious Bulldogs in person. But Whiteville did indeed shock a good number of us by sending WRH home, and with authority! I'll be honest, friends....I had never heard of Whiteville until this postseason. But boy do they have my attention now! From what I've seen, this match up couldn't be more even. Both have a similar number of passing yards. Both have a fairly similar number of rushing yards. And both have wonderful defenses. The difference lies in WHO will be doing the rushing. SWE has a two headed attack and you have to guess correctly who gets the ball. Whiteville has a dual threat qb who loves to run it himself. That's freaking annoying. Key on him and he can throw it to a voided spot. Drop back in coverage, and he can take off. And don't forget that their actual rb has over 1,000 yards. What a nightmare for the SWE defense to contend with tonight. And it's not like things will be rosey for the offense either. WRH was 4th in the state among all classes in total rushing yards and averaged 8.3 yards per carry. SWE is 18th, and averages 9.7ypc. Whiteville shut WRH completely down. Both WRH and SWE run the wishbone. Ouch. Seems like Whiteville is complete through and through. So I'm picking SWE in this one lol. I still believe that SWE will be able to pull off a couple of long td runs of 40-50 yards. I think both defenses are in for a long night. 34-28

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyHeel
Looking forward to a good game. Both teams should be able to have success with what they do best. Unfortunately, I think Moss is the x-factor still. Can't wait to go up to the junction tonight to see how it shakes out!

Reactions: SWE'98
Maybe it was because we all played on Thursday here in the east last week, but it has been a long wait for round 2 to get here. But here it is, and all the smack talk, compliments, research, and film watching comes to an end, and the games begin!
I will be the first, but not only one, to tell you that I was looking at a SWE/WRH matchup this round. I was nervous to face them, but also excited, because I have never seen the prestigious Bulldogs in person. But Whiteville did indeed shock a good number of us by sending WRH home, and with authority! I'll be honest, friends....I had never heard of Whiteville until this postseason. But boy do they have my attention now! From what I've seen, this match up couldn't be more even. Both have a similar number of passing yards. Both have a fairly similar number of rushing yards. And both have wonderful defenses. The difference lies in WHO will be doing the rushing. SWE has a two headed attack and you have to guess correctly who gets the ball. Whiteville has a dual threat qb who loves to run it himself. That's freaking annoying. Key on him and he can throw it to a voided spot. Drop back in coverage, and he can take off. And don't forget that their actual rb has over 1,000 yards. What a nightmare for the SWE defense to contend with tonight. And it's not like things will be rosey for the offense either. WRH was 4th in the state among all classes in total rushing yards and averaged 8.3 yards per carry. SWE is 18th, and averages 9.7ypc. Whiteville shut WRH completely down. Both WRH and SWE run the wishbone. Ouch. Seems like Whiteville is complete through and through. So I'm picking SWE in this one lol. I still believe that SWE will be able to pull off a couple of long td runs of 40-50 yards. I think both defenses are in for a long night. 34-28
Let me tell you something about Whiteville in general, they ALWAYS have Athletes in every sport.

I remember we (tarboro) played them in 09 with no Lewis at the helm. They brought a decent crowd but nothing more than some of the crowds we see

I remember we (tarboro) played them in 09 with no Lewis at the helm. They brought a decent crowd but nothing more than some of the crowds we see
Whiteville traveled as well as anyone in our hay day ( 1980’s thru mid 1990’s). Heck we brought 200 band members. Long removed from those days, but signs things have turned are evident. 1000 for a second round game may be a little optimistic, but half that would be a very good following for any 2A school in the East IMO’ . Road crowd does get into it though! Home crowd is way too laid back! Less than 20% stand and clap with the fight song when we score and take the field. Not a problem with the road crowd! GO PACK!

Whiteville traveled as well as anyone in our hay day ( 1980’s thru mid 1990’s). Heck we brought 200 band members. Long removed from those days, but signs things have turned are evident. 1000 for a second round game may be a little optimistic, but half that would be a very good following for any 2A school in the East IMO’ . Road crowd does get into it though! Home crowd is way too laid back! Less than 20% stand and clap with the fight song when we score and take the field. Not a problem with the road crowd! GO PACK!
Man I was about to say the same thing about us! We will fill the away stands up and drown the home crowd out. But at home ourselves, it's like ehhh. Touchdowns gets loud cheers, but anything other than that, not so much. First down? Yawn. 3rd down stop? Snore. Announcer asking the crowd to get on their feet? Nope. It bothers me so much. I'm out there yelling and cussing refs out. Seems like we don't want to embarrass ourselves in front of our people. But away, the crowd already knows that those that are there are strong supporters just by being there, so they let loose them. We used to be a rambunctious home crowd. Not so much now. Unless it's a close, close game.

Last edited:
Reactions: buck71 and SWO-#1
The fans create the atmosphere for the players. Nothing they like to hear more than a racket on every first down and big plays. We have a group at SWO that does a "Move Them Chains" chant. You can hear them over the broadcast. Hope they get laryngitis tonight .....

Maybe the folks are still on the road. Cause I sure don't see 1,000 Whiteville folks. 100 is being generous. Not many for us, either.

Swe ball at 30.
Good opening run. 40 yard pass to rb Jones. 5 yard td run.
7-0 .

Last edited:
SWE long pass to Porter. 9 yard td run by Jones. Bud tried to warn them about him.
14-0

4th down conversion at W 28.
Another 4th down play results in a 24 yard td to Porter.
21-0

Davis' long run takes it to the 3. Moss keeps it for the score.
21-7

Personal foul called on SWE.
Drive, td by Moss.
21-14
Hmmm...
Haven't heard anything from Whiteville posters yet. I'm sure somebody will say something now.

Reactions: dogs79
SWE ball at 50. Pass interference as time expired. Free play. First fg attempt of season no good. Knew that though.
Halftime SWE 21. Whiteville 14.
Whiteville gets ball first.

Reactions: dogs79
Whiteville ball at 23.
20 Yard pass.
3rd down incompletion, but helmet to helmet called. New downs. Holding. 3 and 18. Getting to Moss easily on pass attempts. Punt to 8.

False start details drive, 3 and out, bad snap and punt to own 41.

How did Davis get over 1,000? Moss is clearly the workhorse and focal point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT