ADVERTISEMENT

SP at Hibriten

It's all coming back to me from the scrimmage...Hibriten speedsters streaking past leaden foot Red Raider DB's and a 215 lb fullback pounding us until Mickey begged to put an end to it. Fortunate we survived the onslaught from Pisgah's Alabama preferred walk on "MONSTER" fullback last week. Guess we will be lucky to get out of there with some semblance of pride after the ass whipping we are about to receive...
you said it my friend, you said it.

Oh, I remember a thread like this a couple years ago. The more I read it, the more I smile. Bring on the Concord Panthers! Or is it the Hibriten Spiders?

Patsfball, you're swatting a beehive with a stick while posing for a selfie!

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that many of you SP boosters have apparently bought into the idea that SP not on Hibriten's level somehow.. You keep hearing about how much more speed, this and that that Hibriten has...Let me remind you that this is something we hear EVERY year. Don't you remember? Many said the 09 Hibriten team was IT, We all heard how unbeatable they were, had us ALL believing it. They had already advanced to the 4th round before the game had been played then too. But In the end, they lost to one of the (weak bracket) mountain teams that they thought (and said) were so slow it appeared they had lead weights around their ankles. But they found out what they lacked in speed and athleticism, they made up in heart and physicality that Hibriten just didnt have an answer for. Fast forward to 2010, then again, what, in 2013? Same result. Lost to lesser teams, (in their eyes anyway) Now we come to '16... same story. Now all of this begs the question. Just where do some of you get the idea that this team is better than any of the other Hibriten teams of those years? What are you basing your conclusions on? Especially when SP has won it all before, while Hibriten has not, and ALWAYS losing to what on paper, (and message boards like this) were less talented teams? Who knows, maybe after all the years of crying wolf, this may be the "IT" team for Hibriten, but SP is by no means undermanned, or over matched in any category or at any position if Hibriten's history is any indication.

Last edited:
Preach it, Mule!! We will show them all that the Big T and Pisgah are good football teams!

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that many of you SP boosters have apparently bought into the idea that SP not on Hibriten's level somehow.. You keep hearing about how much more speed, this and that that Hibriten has...Let me remind you that this is something we hear EVERY year. Don't you remember? Many said the 09 Hibriten team was IT, We all heard how unbeatable they were, had us ALL believing it. They had already advanced to the 4th round before the game had been played then too. But In the end, they lost to one of the (weak bracket) mountain teams that they thought (and said) were so slow it appeared they had lead weights around their ankles. But they found out what they lacked in speed and athleticism, they made up in heart and physicality that Hibriten just didnt have an answer for. Fast forward to 2010, then again, what, in 2013? Same result. Lost to lesser teams, (in their eyes anyway) Now we come to '16... same story. Now all of this begs the question. Just where do some of you get the idea that this team is better than any of the other Hibriten teams of those years? What are you basing your conclusions on? Especially when SP has won it all before, while Hibriten has not, and ALWAYS losing to what on paper, (and message boards like this) were less talented teams? Who knows, maybe after all the years of crying wolf, this may be the "IT" team for Hibriten, but SP is by no means undermanned, or over matched in any category or at any position if Hibriten's history is any indication.

"Just where do some of you get the idea that this team is better than any of the other Hibriten teams of those years? What are you basing your conclusions on?"

because Deana said so!

https://ncpreps.rivals.com/news/how-did-the-baker-s-dozen-do--1

Reactions: patsfball
Reactions: seadog28
Kickoff temp will be 28°. 25° by 10pm. Very little wind and clear skies. Not so bad after all.

Mule you said the same thing last week about the West Rowan game. Just be glad there's a thread that has Hibriten in the title so you can find something to talk about. Maybe you can copy and paste the same message next week if we don't get beat 42-6 by South Point.

Did you here about the Panther fan that died at a pie eating contest?

The cow kicked him in the head.

Reactions: HardCorps82
Mule you said the same thing last week about the West Rowan game. Just be glad there's a thread that has Hibriten in the title so you can find something to talk about. Maybe you can copy and paste the same message next week if we don't get beat 42-6 by South Point.
From the HHS vs NR thread. Is THIS the post you are speaking of? Unless you are talking about another year, this is the only one I remember making about last week's game between HHS and NR.
"Should be a good ball game. 2010 was a classic game between the 2. And they should have played in 09."
Hibriten needs to defend the pass and keep the O rolling with no turnovers."
"Except for Tuscola beating Hibriten at their place, they would have. Make no mistake, the better team won that game."

Excuse seadog, it's pregame nerves. kinda like the boy whistling while walking through the graveyard.

And my all time favorite, taught to me by the legendary "crestrulz".

How do you castrate a Patriot fan?

Kick his sister in the mouth.

From the HHS vs NR thread. Is THIS the post you are speaking of? Unless you are talking about another year, this is the only one I remember making about last week's game between HHS and NR.
"Should be a good ball game. 2010 was a classic game between the 2. And they should have played in 09."
Hibriten needs to defend the pass and keep the O rolling with no turnovers."
"Except for Tuscola beating Hibriten at their place, they would have. Make no mistake, the better team won that game."

I believe this is the post I had in mind.
"If I had a choice I would pick Hibriten as my next opponent any day. We have seen unbeaten Hibriten teams before. I believe Tuscola played one of them back in 09. Plenty of talent but lacking in discipline and heart. NO WAY THS should have won that game."

" To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

Ric Flair

I look at Hibriten as the underdog in this, SP is the reigning Western Regional Champ. While in Lenior tomorrow night, we will all find out who is the "man".

Carolina Varsity has SP as a 3 point favorite.

Both of the Gaston Gazette sportswriters have Hibriten as a 4 point favorite (Flagler H 28-24; Walker H 35-31).

Can you say 'barnburner' if any of these predictions are close? Of course, the fans may need a barn to burn to stay warn tomorrow night. Good thing the burn ban has been lifted.

Oh yea of little faith. Starting Saturday morning the conversation will turn to how weak a playoff schedule SP played to get to the finals and how Havelock will stomp us. Just stay tuned and watch. All I know is that it is December and we are making a road trip to eat BBQ and watch some football like it was 1979. All these other "experts" will be sitting on the couch, eating cheese puffs and making their ying yang as orange as a Haloween jack o lantern.

Gates open at 5 according to radio last Friday. If you're late it's a long walk up the hill. Tiny seating area by our standards. Standing room only for sure. Nothing stopping visitors from going to home side. Very civilized home base. They probably won't mind if we have good manners. I felt welcome last week. Met a cool dude whose daughter was cheering.

I believe this is the post I had in mind.
"If I had a choice I would pick Hibriten as my next opponent any day. We have seen unbeaten Hibriten teams before. I believe Tuscola played one of them back in 09. Plenty of talent but lacking in discipline and heart. NO WAY THS should have won that game."
And all is true. Hibriten had the better players. To hear you tell it, they ALWAYS do, but not the better team. Wonder if that is true again this year?

Oh yea of little faith. Starting Saturday morning the conversation will turn to how weak a playoff schedule SP played to get to the finals and how Havelock will stomp us. Just stay tuned and watch. All I know is that it is December and we are making a road trip to eat BBQ and watch some football like it was 1979. All these other "experts" will be sitting on the couch, eating cheese puffs and making their ying yang as orange as a Haloween jack o lantern.

I like our chances, RR73, but I do think it will be a close game unless one team (hopefully, Hibriten) is having a really bad night. I am hoping that I will be in Winston-Salem next Saturday.

Game Day! Glanced at the Gaston Gazette this morning and 1st page of sports section is big article and multiple pictures about Lincoln County based Lincolnton's being in Western finals for 3 of past 4 years. Agree that is a great accomplishment for the Wolves. However, the Gaston County based Raiders who are going to 3rd straight Western Regional finals are mentioned in a small article on last page titled, "South Point and Lincolnton Headed to Regional Finals". What? The world of journalism has surely lost its way. Best use for the Gazette is to line your parakeet cage. If you don't have a parakeet, then cancel your subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT