ADVERTISEMENT

SP at Hibriten

I've wondered the same. Matt was a good QB no doubt. Originally from Morganton, played middle school ball at Liberty. For whatever reason they kept him away from athletic schools.... St Stephens, Foard. Even the middle school selection kept him from pairing up with Table Rock talent.

poor ole Forestview, I think you guys have won your conference like 2 times over the last 20 years,,,, lol my friend

35-34 when you had arguably the best player in the state. Get over that love to hate Forestview.

Hibriten has never had so much exposure. Congratulations on a fine season ! ! ! The Panthers are legit and worthy to be playing Friday. It will be a good test for each team.

Reactions: seadog28
Patsfball, I know I am off topic, subject matter here. I always wonder and have spoke with others about this if Matthew Williams would have been over at the school playing ball there. Helms, then Coach Hardin. Without getting into detail I know about the differences, certain people not getting along couldn't stand another person. But just what if?

Helms' son was the main reason. His own family was the second reason.

Beamer,

Has Hibriten made reservations for hotel rooms in Winston-Salem yet? Don't lie!

When you play the Raiders you get exposure that you wouldn't normally get. I thought I was giving you a compliment Beamer. I don't think you want to get into a bragging contest with a Raider fan do you? If you have a weakness it will be exposed Friday night

We have not seen a team with speed, power and agility like Hibriten in awhile. It will take a little time to adjust to on Friday night, but we will. Don't panic if we are down early.
You did back in '14 & '15..... they wore green/gold:eek:

Reactions: CrestMan7
When you play the Raiders you get exposure that you wouldn't normally get. I thought I was giving you a compliment Beamer. I don't think you want to get into a bragging contest with a Raider fan do you? If you have a weakness it will be exposed Friday night
Yeah ESPN stopped by today. Thanks for the exposure!

Last time you guys was pounding your chest with a Big South team coming up there we had your fans leaving in the 3rd quarter. Be careful what you wish for.

I think the only big play you guys gave up was like the first play on the QB keep on the option. Other than that you guys scheme and players, (speed) matched up and contained Hibriten that night. On most plays 10 guys were in the box. Great on coaching staff and execution by the players.

Thanks for posting that article from the gazette CHEERDUCK. Now , if Hibriten kicks our tail it'll be easier to cheer them on. I didn't remember it being 8 degrees in the 1979 game .

Here is how I think it is going down.

Hibriten's speed surprises us and they jump out to a 7-0 lead. The Hibriten defense shuts us down and their O threatens again, but we hold. 1st quarter, Hibriten 7-0.

2nd quarter, Hibriten gets a short field and busts a semi-long TD, 14-0. A few back and forths, but SP scores before the half, 14-7.

3rd quarter, adjustments are made and the SP defense gets hot as the temperature gets colder. A Hibriten turnover leads to an SP score. 14-14.

4th quarter, the SP defense stones the Hibriten offense and SP puts together a long drive to go ahead 21-14. After the score, Hibriten comes back, but gets stopped on 4th down allowing SP to make a couple of 1st downs and ice the game.

SP 21-14....Bank on it! I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Thanks for posting that article from the gazette CHEERDUCK. Now , if Hibriten kicks our tail it'll be easier to cheer them on. I didn't remember it being 8 degrees in the 1979 game .

I thought it was 18, not 8. Either way, it was colder than a witch's... :eek:

Here is how I think it is going down.

Hibriten's speed surprises us and they jump out to a 7-0 lead. The Hibriten defense shuts us down and their O threatens again, but we hold. 1st quarter, Hibriten 7-0.

2nd quarter, Hibriten gets a short field and busts a semi-long TD, 14-0. A few back and forths, but SP scores before the half, 14-7.

3rd quarter, adjustments are made and the SP defense gets hot as the temperature gets colder. A Hibriten turnover leads to an SP score. 14-14.

4th quarter, the SP defense stones the Hibriten offense and SP puts together a long drive to go ahead 21-14. After the score, Hibriten comes back, but gets stopped on 4th down allowing SP to make a couple of 1st downs and ice the game.

SP 21-14....Bank on it! I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

LMAO- I think this is pretty much right; that's how I see the game going anyway. I think our defense and S/T will give us some points....I just don't know who will win. I think it may be a 1-2 point game.

Here is my input for what is worth. I saw the Tuscola and Pisgah (vs. SP games) and neither team has anywhere near the overall team speed and athleticism as Hibriten. I have not seen Hibriten play this year, but East Gaston played them in the 1st round last year and they have virtually everyone back this year. Both teams are physical on defense, but I would give Hibriten a slight edge on offense. This game is truly a toss up to me.

A lot of people are feeling the same that I feel about this game. SP cannot let Hibriten's explosiveness get them out to a big lead. If the game is within a TD either way by the 3rd qtr, then the Raiders will win.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Here's a crucial aspect: Fast teams get a good bit slower in cold weather. Slow teams don't get much slower in cold weather....they play about the same. So, I think the weather may take away Hibriten's biggest advantage. Another big advantage they hold is home field, and if pressed I'd guess the game is 1-2 points.....right now I'm thinking Hibriten winning primarily because our best athletes don't touch the ball on offense. If #25, 9 and 14...maybe 5 are all of sudden totaling 23 carries between them on offense - I think SP could definitely win. I don't think that will happen.
I think SP will use 33 to throw those high point balls when in trouble, and him only. Hard to believe we have not seen ONE DB this year that can lay the wood and prevent those catches. Does Hibriten have any head hunters or really tough DBs that make a mark? These things I don't know about HHS, and makes it hard to figure how close it may be when the chips are all laid out.

Got to tell you...went to the SP versus Hibriten scrimmage and did not note this supposed speed deficit. Guess maybe all the Hibriten speed burners were still on summer vacation. For those in the know, SP was down several DB's in that scrimmage. In fact our kicker was playing corner for us. If they have guys who can outrun 5, 14, and 25 when they are playing within our disciplined scheme then they will most definitely win. Don't see it happening. South Point's speed is on the defensive side of the ball. In the backfield 9 may not be a burner, but he takes great angles and is an aggressive decisive tackler. All of the LB's really can cover ground, and 19 and 41 on the edge can both run. Predict you will find 4 to 5 hungry Red Raiders in on every tackle. Let's hope for a strip or two.

West Rowan looked very quick and athletic during warm ups last Friday, but was contained pretty much all night. Hibriten is a different beast, the 3 fastest kids on that field will be wearing a Panthers jersey,,, then when you think you have a plan for the speed, a 215 lb fullback comes at you.

Good luck Red Raiders! If the normal Hibriten team from 2016 shows up - lights out.

some may think I'm crazy but..... after watching both Shelby and Hibriten play, I would pick Hibriten over Shelby by a TD.

It's all coming back to me from the scrimmage...Hibriten speedsters streaking past leaden foot Red Raider DB's and a 215 lb fullback pounding us until Mickey begged to put an end to it. Fortunate we survived the onslaught from Pisgah's Alabama preferred walk on "MONSTER" fullback last week. Guess we will be lucky to get out of there with some semblance of pride after the ass whipping we are about to receive...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT