ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Black Friday

DeBoer31

Jun 19, 2015
So... South Point has a bye this week because EG dropped the series with them. Looks like EG is taking on the monster known as Corvian Community HS out of Charlotte. They're fielding their first ever football team this year. Meanwhile, SP plays Charlotte Christian next week - a game that was picked up no doubt to fill a spot vacated by EG that has been sharpied-in for about 50 years now. SP may get curb-stomped by Large Private school state runner up from last year, but at least they have the sand to show up for the fight. SP has about 75 more students than EG does. So SP will play two schools that have less enrollment than they do this year. CC doesn't count given the circumstances of how larger class CHLT private schools make up their football team rosters these days.

That is what everything has come to these days I suppose: Re-classifications by players, HS teams unapologetically recruiting and taking 7-8 transfers in PER year and now this - eliminating the chance to play your biggest rival of over 50 years in order to play a first year public charter specialty lottery bohemian school football team. So, now cheating is so pervasive that it's just considered the new normal and it has to be accepted? Boy - the resolve of America is headed in the right direction, huh? If there is a war anytime soon - just send the boys from Belmont to take care of things and all the rest of ya'll waive your single white gloves adoringly from behind the fence with the women.

You don't pencil in 50 plus years. Is SP the only game they play per year? I guess they should drop out of the conference too....because Shelby and Burns ain't no easier.

Regardless of the series lopsidedness, it is absolutely ridiculous to walk away from that gate money alone! These are two schools with very loyal fanbases that support their teams regardless of records. This will be a significant hit on the bottom line for athletic finances at East Gaston this year or next.

I'm still dumbfounded as to this stupid move (gate money alone). Maybe we'll end up in the same conference in the next realignment?

Reactions: DeBoer31
I'm still dumbfounded as to this stupid move (gate money alone). Maybe we'll end up in the same conference in the next realignment?
I am too. Thing is.... SP people really respect EG and their programs. It's a healthy rivalry in a lot of ways. You never know how things will turn out in the future. Could've been Greg Lloyd stayed there, and things went another way a few years back. They should be in the same conf. together.

I am too. Thing is.... SP people really respect EG and their programs. It's a healthy rivalry in a lot of ways. You never know how things will turn out in the future. Could've been Greg Lloyd stayed there, and things went another way a few years back. They should be in the same conf. together.
I like what Coach Postell is doing. We are better, but the reality is we are benefiting from a pretty easy schedule right now.

Last edited:
It all stems from ego's on both sides over SP not scheduling EG in basketball this past season when EG was loaded. In turn, EG declined to schedule SP this Fall in football.
I definitely don't speak for the Basketball coach...and would be fine if he left SP - but it is being said he didn't want to schedule a team that was anticipated to be very good (ended up 25-5) to play EG last year? Previous year to that EG won by 2-3 points, right?
If that's true... sounds stupid to me. If there is another reason - like they chose to go play in some bigger tourney or something that would make more sense.
In reality I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.... especially because 99% of the people in Belmont care what happens in basketball. Besides - football is the bell cow for all programs. That one game's money for EG (if home) probably equaled or surpassed all other combined home football games in a year.

Just wait til Mt. Moravian Charter High upsets them...then they gonna cancel the racquetball series with them.

I definitely don't speak for the Basketball coach...and would be fine if he left SP - but it is being said he didn't want to schedule a team that was anticipated to be very good (ended up 25-5) to play EG last year? Previous year to that EG won by 2-3 points, right?
If that's true... sounds stupid to me. If there is another reason - like they chose to go play in some bigger tourney or something that would make more sense.
In reality I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other.... especially because 99% of the people in Belmont care what happens in basketball. Besides - football is the bell cow for all programs. That one game's money for EG (if home) probably equaled or surpassed all other combined home football games in a year.

Just wait til Mt. Moravian Charter High upsets them...then they gonna cancel the racquetball series with them.
Yep, it's crazy. It's not like either school doesn't need the gate money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT