ADVERTISEMENT

South Point Red Raiders vs Shelby Golden Lions

Through 10 games SP has outscored opponents 469-54. That is phenomenal. In 9 games (throw out South Pointay) Shelby has outscored opponents 325-66. Both teams have great defenses. This one will be won in the trenches. SP will need a couple of big plays from Alexander or Grier as Shelby will make it tough to drive the ball with those great LB's. Hanlon may be the difference maker. These are the two top teams in 2A. Only one will be conference champions. 6 days to a real slobberknocker.

@ work, I will keep this short and sweet, but we apparently watched two different games. We had over 400 yards of total offense. Malik was 16 of 20 for 285 yards, Brooks had over 160 in total yards. How do you get that type of production behind poor line play? I’m not saying they resembled the Dallas Cowboys’ line, but in my opinion, they were solid, far from porous. Yes, Brooks did indeed have a lot of good individual effort. I’m with you on that , but in my opinion, the D didn’t play up to its usual standards. East’s quarterback and runningback made plays.
But couldn't put the points on the board. You will see a stingy defense
With my last post I inspired myself. Been doing some more thinking:

So yeah, 100% sure Shelby will be the best team SP has played this year.
Also 100% sure that we have already played better teams than SP. SP might be the second best team we play, but they could be the third or fourth best team we play. That's not an insult, AC Reynolds and Kings Mountain have only lost to us.

So what else do we know? We know Shelby can come from behind and win.
We know Shelby can win close games
We know Shelby can beat very good teams.

Again SP. If you only play the second best you've played all year, you will lose Friday night. Only your very best game gives you a chance.
With my last post I inspired myself. Been doing some more thinking:

So yeah, 100% sure Shelby will be the best team SP has played this year.
Also 100% sure that we have already played better teams than SP. SP might be the second best team we play, but they could be the third or fourth best team we play. That's not an insult, AC Reynolds and Kings Mountain have only lost to us.

So what else do we know? We know Shelby can come from behind and win.
We know Shelby can win close games
We know Shelby can beat very good teams.

Again SP. If you only play the second best you've played all year, you will lose Friday night. Only your very best game gives you a chance.

What so many of you don't realize is you are trying to predict how good SP is with out even knowing. What Shelby can guarantee is they are coming on to our turf to face the most well coached and well prepared team they have faced all season. No disrespect to AC Reynolds or Kings Mtn but South Point is a totally different animal. They know what it's going to take and has the horses to do it. In 2013 an 2014 Shelby brought home championship rings and both years SP spanked that a$$. They can't match SP's cerebral approach to the game. There's a mental toughness SP will bring that will leave you strolling out of Lineberger Stadium scratching your head trying to figure out how you lost the game.

Reactions: seadog28
Getting ready for the big game this Friday. Here is a comparison of the results of their common opponents this year. There were 5 common opponents and this is the scores:

Crest SP won 22-14 away Shelby won 21-14 home
Chase SP won 69-0 away Shelby won 63-0 away
RS Central SP won 62-0 away Shelby won 51-0 home
East Gaston SP won 56-0 home Shelby won 51-6 away
E Rutherford SP won 55-7 home Shelby won 28-7 home

In every game SP won by a larger margin but not by a lot for the most part.

Looks to be a close game but SP should be a slight favorite considering the 5 common opponents and home field advantage.

It will probably come down to turnovers and who makes the mistakes.

I don't think Shelby or South Point could beat AC Reynolds or KM if they played them at this point in the season. Those are good wins but you can't look at them under the same lens at this point in time.

Dude you just lost all credibility as not just a poster but a football fan. Shelby beats Reynolds 29-8. The eight came on a 1 yard run after a 50 yard INCOMPLETE pass verified by replay. So the play should have been negated. Essentially Shelby shutout Reynolds. But now Shelby would lose to Reynolds? You sir are an idiot.

Reactions: Raidersway
WMD, this one is going to be a prize fight. Both are going to take big punches. The team that keeps their cool, adjusts to the speed and physicality, stays disciplined and answers the bell will win it.

It's gonna be rocking in Belmont! Can't wait!

May change through the week but Shelby by 10+.

You have no clue this defense you’re about to see. We had a 7 and a half minute 65 yard drive on the number 5 team in the nation. We also rushed for 199 yards on them while holding them to 79. They were averaging 270 a game. There is no way South Point’s offense is better than South Pointe’s.

The only team that is beating Shelby the rest of the year is Shelby. Most tds that have come on Shelby’s 1st team D are a result of a big play. I take that back....every play scored on Shelby is the result of a big play.
Freedom - pick 6
Reynolds - after 50 yard incomplete pass
Burns - long pass play about 40 yards
Crest - 50 yard run after defense stopped because the runner appeared to be down
KM - 45 yard pass setup a 3 yard run and a 50 yard qb sneak
SPe - three big pass plays of about 60 yards each, 20 yards rush after 50 yard pass
ER - 78 yard run

Point being, you’re not gonna be able to drive the ball on us. DaDa will rush for over 100. Yeah Shelby by 10+.

Reactions: marsgreen
Getting ready for the big game this Friday. Here is a comparison of the results of their common opponents this year. There were 5 common opponents and this is the scores:

Crest SP won 22-14 away Shelby won 21-14 home
Chase SP won 69-0 away Shelby won 63-0 away
RS Central SP won 62-0 away Shelby won 51-0 home
East Gaston SP won 56-0 home Shelby won 51-6 away
E Rutherford SP won 55-7 home Shelby won 28-7 home

In every game SP won by a larger margin but not by a lot for the most part.

Looks to be a close game but SP should be a slight favorite considering the 5 common opponents and home field advantage.

It will probably come down to turnovers and who makes the mistakes.

You really took the time to do this? Do you realize the factors involved?
Running clock?
When were starters pulled?
Did coach still have his foot on the gas?

Can’t compare these at all.

But couldn't put the points on the board. You will see a stingy defense

What so many of you don't realize is you are trying to predict how good SP is with out even knowing. What Shelby can guarantee is they are coming on to our turf to face the most well coached and well prepared team they have faced all season. No disrespect to AC Reynolds or Kings Mtn but South Point is a totally different animal. They know what it's going to take and has the horses to do it. In 2013 an 2014 Shelby brought home championship rings and both years SP spanked that a$$. They can't match SP's cerebral approach to the game. There's a mental toughness SP will bring that will leave you strolling out of Lineberger Stadium scratching your head trying to figure out how you lost the game.

Yeah and Shelby spanked your A$$ in 2015 and 2016 and won state titles those years too. So your point is?

Dude you just lost all credibility as not just a poster but a football fan. Shelby beats Reynolds 29-8. The eight came on a 1 yard run after a 50 yard INCOMPLETE pass verified by replay. So the play should have been negated. Essentially Shelby shutout Reynolds. But now Shelby would lose to Reynolds? You sir are an idiot.
foghorn_henery.jpg

May change through the week but Shelby by 10+.

You have no clue this defense you’re about to see. We had a 7 and a half minute 65 yard drive on the number 5 team in the nation. We also rushed for 199 yards on them while holding them to 79. They were averaging 270 a game. There is no way South Point’s offense is better than South Pointe’s.

The only team that is beating Shelby the rest of the year is Shelby. Most tds that have come on Shelby’s 1st team D are a result of a big play. I take that back....every play scored on Shelby is the result of a big play.
Freedom - pick 6
Reynolds - after 50 yard incomplete pass
Burns - long pass play about 40 yards
Crest - 50 yard run after defense stopped because the runner appeared to be down
KM - 45 yard pass setup a 3 yard run and a 50 yard qb sneak
SPe - three big pass plays of about 60 yards each, 20 yards rush after 50 yard pass
ER - 78 yard run

Point being, you’re not gonna be able to drive the ball on us. DaDa will rush for over 100. Yeah Shelby by 10+.

72, You know that we play defense too, right?

Everyone appreciates the quality of Shelby's defense, but SP defense has also been impressive. Since 72 does not recognize points scored by long pass, against a high quality opponent, following a turnover, etc. then instead of giving up 54 points, SP is actually un-scored on having given up no points via a long drive. Expect the final to be 4-2.

I talked with a East coach Friday after the game and I asked his opinion on this coming Friday.Bottom line he said was Shelby has a better defense and SP has a better offfense.It will come down to turnovers and special teams.I tend to agree.

FWIW..and you can take it with however many grains of salt you wish....calpreps.com says South Point 21 Shelby 14..........................

^^^^^ These guys will be pulling hard for South Point. In the event Shelby is placed in 2A, their cupcake playing selves won’t have to travel to Shelby, if we were to lose. They’re always assured to be their conference’s champion.

Last edited:
hey..i would love to travel to shelby some day...might as well be this year....just trying to join in the convo between the 2 schools but if y'all don't want any outsiders commenting on your game..let me know and I'll not post or read on your thread....but before I go....would like to know how far apart the 2 schools are mileage wise.................................................

^^^^^ These guys will be pulling hard for South Point. In the event Shelby is placed in 2A, their cupcake playing selves won’t have to travel to Shelby, if we were to lose. They’re always assured to be their conference’s champion.

If your line blocked like last year I might give you a decent chance to get a W, but since they're softer than wet cleanex, the drive for five will turn into strive to stay alive. You're the Miami Hurricanes of 2A. Stellar defense, and a clumsy offense.
Same type of receivers with the one who is your local Braxton Berrios, while everybody else you hold your breath.

hey..i would love to travel to shelby some day...might as well be this year....just trying to join in the convo between the 2 schools but if y'all don't want any outsiders commenting on your game..let me know and I'll not post or read on your thread....but before I go....would like to know how far apart the 2 schools are mileage wise.................................................

Like Reidsville going to Burlington or Greensboro, something in that ballpark. Might be off a bit. South Point is about a stones throw from the Charlotte-Meck border.

Your welcome to join and give your input.30 miles apart.

Just the mention of the two big Rs - Rams and Raiders - makes Lion fans wet themselves! I vote rambbq stays!!! :)

Even though we're playing Ledford for the conference title this week, I am supremely confident we win that game... I just may make a trip down to Belmont instead. Would love to meet some of ya.

If you travel to Shelby this year you will not be seeing any football because the game is in Belmont Friday night.

FWIW..and you can take it with however many grains of salt you wish....calpreps.com says South Point 21 Shelby 14..........................
And Sunday today calpreps has both Shelby and South Point winning over Reidsville , it changes all the time .

I talked with a East coach Friday after the game and I asked his opinion on this coming Friday.Bottom line he said was Shelby has a better defense and SP has a better offfense.It will come down to turnovers and special teams.I tend to agree.

I agree with the coach..My opinion for what its worth Shelby will win this game.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
Has anybody mentioned the kicking game ... in a game projected to be this close, it might come down to kickers. Which team has the edge in that department that is often ignored?

2-3 years ago Shelby had a great kicker who also played golf. Forgot his name, but I think he was going to kick in college. Is that happening?

Has anybody mentioned the kicking game ... in a game projected to be this close, it might come down to kickers. Which team has the edge in that department that is often ignored?

2-3 years ago Shelby had a great kicker who also played golf. Forgot his name, but I think he was going to kick in college. Is that happening?
I don't know how the guy does during the game but shelbys kicker was killing feild goals from the 40 during half time at RS. But south point's kicker puts the ball in the end zone every time on kickoff so I'm sure he can kick field goals very good also. I would say close to even on kickers.

I don't know about Shelby but SP has two excellent kickers. I only remember one missed XP other than a couple of bad snaps and 80% of kickoffs in the endzone. We have kicked 3 FG's not have only attempted 4-5.

Yeah and Shelby spanked your A$$ in 2015 and 2016 and won state titles those years too. So your point is?
That's the point. Shelby was better in 1911
Shelby tends to prefer you stay out if you aren't predicting a Lion victory. On the other hand SP welcomes you regardless who you favor. Sportsmanship is a serious matter to Raider fans.

Reactions: rambbq
That's the point. Shelby was better in 1911

Shelby tends to prefer you stay out if you aren't predicting a Lion victory. On the other hand SP welcomes you regardless who you favor. Sportsmanship is a serious matter to Raider fans.
Seriously, what is wrong w/ you? You’re mentioning 1911, as if you’re suffering from amnesia, and refusing to acknowledge that “beat down” we put on , 24/-0, redbone offense held scoreless. We beat the brakes of y’all. And, yeah, you guys are good sportsmen after beating cupcakes, it’s easy in that scenario, but when teams like Shelby, West Rowan, and Statesville kicked your ass, those teams were called thugs and insulted to no end.

Last edited:
@Chopper747 Had to work all weekend, but I saw your lil posts. Will you let me be damn happy, man? I remember my dad giving me my first daisy BB gun, and how I showed it off to my friends in the neighborhood, shooting empty cans and cardboard boxes, you were the one kid who told me it was weak, then suddenly, I could see the BB, once I pulled the trigger, and it traveling to the ground, after about 20 yards, robbing me of my joy.

Last edited:
You guys have a ways to go to top last Dec. TWENTY THREE pages and 882 posts that were made leading up to and after the Reidsville/Lincolnton game.............so get going if you want to top it.....lol...................

You guys have a ways to go to top last Dec. TWENTY THREE pages and 882 posts that were made leading up to and after the Reidsville/Lincolnton game.............so get going if you want to top it.....lol...................

If someone started a thread titled "Define how many ways the Lions love themselves", it would never end and 72 would have carpal tunnel!

If someone started a thread titled "Define how many ways the Lions love themselves", it would never end and 72 would have carpal tunnel!
I don't think you ever take in consideration that Shelby fans have feelings especially 72.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT