ADVERTISEMENT

South Point playing Smoky Mountain

I guess I'm a little bias too, since I grew up 30 mins away from WCU and played there. But, I've never for the life of me have been able to figure out why WCU doesn't recruit more local and NC kids. Not only is the talent comparable to what we have coming to Cullowhee from other states, but it would also boost attendance and revenue which in turn would help better establish the program. That model worked out pretty well for App...
WCU is just happy to be right at .500 in football. I have always said there is no reason the program should not be more successful than it is given the great geographical location. For the life of me I do not understand why they dont recruit the Asheville area or foothills around charlotte more. They didnt even offer the Walker kid from Pisgah did they?

WCU is just happy to be right at .500 in football. I have always said there is no reason the program should not be more successful than it is given the great geographical location. For the life of me I do not understand why they dont recruit the Asheville area or foothills around charlotte more. They didnt even offer the Walker kid from Pisgah did they?
They only showed interest after NC State did. Kam and his younger brother Neyland ( a jr. offensive tackle this year) went to a WCU football camp the summer before Kam’s senior year. The WCU coaches never paid any attention to them. They were too enamored with the kids from the big cities like Atlanta & DC.

I'm not sure if they did or not. 9975 might be able to shed light on that question. He's friends with his parents.

I agree. It’s the same for all sports too. Best coach at Western was the track & field team coach. He won year after year. He “retired” (not!) 3 years ago. Went to Lenoir-Rhyne, and now he is at UNC-A.

I guess I'm a little bias too, since I grew up 30 mins away from WCU and played there. But, I've never for the life of me have been able to figure out why WCU doesn't recruit more local and NC kids. Not only is the talent comparable to what we have coming to Cullowhee from other states, but it would also boost attendance and revenue which in turn would help better establish the program. That model worked out pretty well for App...
I don't understand it. You would think between programs like Shelby, Reidsville, Wake Forest, Dudley, Mallard Creek, Catholic, Crest, NE, Tarboro, WRH they could find some athletes that could help their program. I'll use Reidsville as an example. Right now we have 2 kids at UNC and App. All 4 were PWOs and 3 of the 4 have earned scholarships. WCU never sniffed them... I don't understand it. Breon Pass has been offered by nearly every program in the state... WCU? Nope.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Love our bracket! A successful season this year will be playing Shelby again. Road Warriors we must be.

Coach Brindley and Pressley know the Raiders. Don’t expect SM to just lay down. In fact, they may still have some red arse over 2016.

LD and Mopar, the rumor of our death has been greatly exaggerated!

Reactions: Mopar forever
I don't understand it. You would think between programs like Shelby, Reidsville, Wake Forest, Dudley, Mallard Creek, Catholic, Crest, NE, Tarboro, WRH they could find some athletes that could help their program. I'll use Reidsville as an example. Right now we have 2 kids at UNC and App. All 4 were PWOs and 3 of the 4 have earned scholarships. WCU never sniffed them... I don't understand it. Breon Pass has been offered by nearly every program in the state... WCU? Nope.
I think some don't offer if they don't think they have a chance. I have a daughter that went to a small colleges prospect camp after 7th grade was the youngest player there going against juniors and seniors and really put the older players to shame. After the camp, they did a campus tour and she fell in love with the school. She was hoping to get an offer or some kind of personal contact about future visits from the coach but never did. Several months later, I talked with one of the coaches assistants and was told that the colleges head coach would take her on a heartbeat but felt that his school didn't have a chance in getting because she would be going to a big school. My point is, colleges have to realise that not every athlete is going for the bigger or more storied program. They could be missing out on some good players because they fear they may not be in the running.

I think some don't offer if they don't think they have a chance. I have a daughter that went to a small colleges prospect camp after 7th grade was the youngest player there going against juniors and seniors and really put the older players to shame. After the camp, they did a campus tour and she fell in love with the school. She was hoping to get an offer or some kind of personal contact about future visits from the coach but never did. Several months later, I talked with one of the coaches assistants and was told that the colleges head coach would take her on a heartbeat but felt that his school didn't have a chance in getting because she would be going to a big school. My point is, colleges have to realise that not every athlete is going for the bigger or more storied program. They could be missing out on some good players because they fear they may not be in the running.
One of the kids at UNC wasn't on WCU radar until late. Didn't think they could get him. I think it's a problem throughout UNC System. The best in-state backs head for UGA. VA Tech has the Triad on lockdown. I know Georgia and Florida are hotbeds for talent, but Western should take the Mack Brown approach. Get to know coaches and take a chance on in state players. Western has really struggled the last 2 years. I feel very confident that all four D1 players from Reidsville would be competing for starting players at WCU. They need to ask. Never know who might say yes

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
It was 87 and 93 .Both times I try to forget.
Ha ha, I know what you mean. I am pretty sure I was there both times. Tough losses are hard to forget. I remember rolling into Statesville with an undefeated Red Raider team that was favored and got our butt handed to us that night in the playoffs. You never know.

I know Will Frady (#44) is a load, but Dustin Stephens impressed me so much against Pisgah. He ran for more yards than Frady (145 vs 139), ran back kickoffs and punts, had 35 yds receiving, played defense (had an INT), heck, he may have even been the punter. I thought HE should have been the POG. Didn't even look tired at the end of the game. Yes, their running game IS their game, and their line on both sides is huge. Didn't like that we lost, but I wouldn't mind seeing them beat SP. Even if they don't I do not believe it will be a blowout.

Hope
I know Will Frady (#44) is a load, but Dustin Stephens impressed me so much against Pisgah. He ran for more yards than Frady (145 vs 139), ran back kickoffs and punts, had 35 yds receiving, played defense (had an INT), heck, he may have even been the punter. I thought HE should have been the POG. Didn't even look tired at the end of the game. Yes, their running game IS their game, and their line on both sides is huge. Didn't like that we lost, but I wouldn't mind seeing them beat SP. Even if they don't I do not believe it will be a blowout.
hopefully it is a blowout..for s.p.

Hope
hopefully it is a blowout..for s.p.
So, you're hoping that another team from a completely different conference from a different part of the state which has beat Pisgah's ass before beats Smoky now which is coached by a former Pisgah alum and has one of the best former Pisgah coaches on staff as well? Geez. Sour grapes much. I'm guessing you must've thought your little Johnny was the tits and DP and Ricky didn't quite think so! Lol. Oh well. I'll always pull for conference and local mountain teams against the rest of the state.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
So, you're hoping that another team from a completely different conference from a different part of the state which has beat Pisgah's ass before beats Smoky now which is coached by a former Pisgah alum and has one of the best former Pisgah coaches on staff as well? Geez. Sour grapes much. I'm guessing you must've thought your little Johnny was the tits and DP and Ricky didn't quite think so! Lol. Oh well. I'll always pull for conference and local mountain teams against the rest of the state.
Way off cateemount on most of that..but spot on that I want them to get beat

Way off cateemount on most of that..but spot on that I want them to get beat
Okay, well I concede the point because I just don't understand your possible rationale behind thinking like that. Nor will I ever. But, anyways... Agree to disagree, I guess. Go Bears and Go Mountain Six!

Reactions: Pisgah Bears

Does sound like some sour grapes going on, I’m pulling for SM also but I can’t tell you how much I have a feeling this was maybe the worst prize for a high seed i could think of. I’m sure this SP team isn’t anything like the one Pisgah played a couple years ago, however, that scheme is something we don’t see here and it would be hard to prepare for even if you had a warm up with another team that ran it. SP ran it without flaw all night. I also said after our game with SM that although they are solid only having that one dimension would plague them. I don’t think SM goes down without a fight but I would predict the upset if I had to put my paycheck on it. Good luck Mustangs

Found this in a local paper, "Red Raiders gave up nearly 200 rushing yards in last week's loss to Shelby, which could mean a long night against Smoky Mountain's running backs."
Personally, I want another shot at SM and don't mind a bit that it would be Sylva.

Found this in a local paper, "Red Raiders gave up nearly 200 rushing yards in last week's loss to Shelby, which could mean a long night against Smoky Mountain's running backs."
Personally, I want another shot at SM and don't mind a bit that it would be Sylva.
That would only happen in the Regional final

It will be an interesting game! I have seen it all this year with the Red Raiders. Like a Clint Eastwood movie. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. SP by 7. GO BIG RED!!

If SP defense can muster a little backbone and pride, the offense will get some scores. Hard to imagine SP losing to a mountain team. But then again, they did lose to Chase. Toss up.

Okay, well I concede the point because I just don't understand your possible rationale behind thinking like that. Nor will I ever. But, anyways... Agree to disagree, I guess. Go Bears and Go Mountain Six!

I would like to see Smoky win . Would say a lot for the conference and the Bears for that matter.I hope only one of the Mountain six teams loses tonight.

No it won't. The only reason people give up that many rushing yards to Shelby is because you have to try and stop their passing attack. The field spreads out and opens up the running game. If the only thing SM can do is run, and SP won't have to defend the pass, then it will be a completely different story.

No it won't. The only reason people give up that many rushing yards to Shelby is because you have to try and stop their passing attack. The field spreads out and opens up the running game. If the only thing SM can do is run, and SP won't have to defend the pass, then it will be a completely different story.
Exactly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT