ADVERTISEMENT

Rushing Numbers Don’t Lie in the SMC

Swaindad40

Jul 22, 2018
Numbers clearly show the difficulty in running the ball in the SMC and we have a perfect example with a D1 level player. The preseason number one back in NC may even agree with this based on his experience.
Against the big three (Swain, Murphy and Robbinsville) in the SMC he has 40 carries for 285 yards and 2TD’s in 3 career games. That’s 7.12 yards per carry and 94 yards per game. Including a 4th playoff game and his teams only win vs Andrews he has a total of 51 carries for 436 yards and 3TD’s. (8.55 yards per carry) Keep in mind those are still respectable numbers!
BUT when you compare these averages vs other teams he has played against it’s not even close.
In those non SMC games he averages 12.03 yards per carry.
Head to head Rylie Anderson, Bryce Sain, Tanner Creelman, Slade Mctaggart, and Kadrian Mcrae out rushed him in three playoff games. Not saying they are better backs or just as talented but they are used to the physical play it takes to run the ball in the SMC.
As a reminder to colleges, recruiting does not stop in Asheville. We have loads of talent in these mountains. Keep underestimating our boys and their abilities. We have beat many teams with FBS, FCS, D2 or D3 players. That’s why we have those state championship banners hanging in our stadiums.
Our SMC is loaded with Running Backs and don’t forget you can’t run the ball without those big boys up front too so obviously there is talent there that needs to be looked as well! Can’t wait for this season to get started.

Give us a break down , his numbers against each team. I think this all goes back to great fundamentals being taught early. “ everybody get to the football “ if these super backs break that first tackle there better be 10 more gettin to the ball to hit him in the mouth !!!! Go Knights

Reactions: BK13T-$
Three things to note.

1. I think the difference is possibly in the line play more than specifically the running back.

2. Think the SMC teams were able to grind the ball on offense and limit his touches a bit which is less chances to break one.

3. MIC’s s schedule is pretty weak even for a 1A team. A couple of good out of conference teams and one good conference opponent.

Reactions: bud33345
Numbers clearly show the difficulty in running the ball in the SMC and we have a perfect example with a D1 level player. The preseason number one back in NC may even agree with this based on his experience.
Against the big three (Swain, Murphy and Robbinsville) in the SMC he has 40 carries for 285 yards and 2TD’s in 3 career games. That’s 7.12 yards per carry and 94 yards per game. Including a 4th playoff game and his teams only win vs Andrews he has a total of 51 carries for 436 yards and 3TD’s. (8.55 yards per carry) Keep in mind those are still respectable numbers!
BUT when you compare these averages vs other teams he has played against it’s not even close.
Head to head Rylie Anderson, Bryce Sain, Tanner Creelman, Slade Mctaggart, and Kadrian Mcrae out rushed him in three playoff games. Not saying they are better backs or just as talented but they are used to the physical play it takes to run the ball in the SMC.
As a reminder to colleges, recruiting does not stop in Asheville. We have loads of talent in these mountains. Keep underestimating our boys and their abilities. We have beat many teams with FBS, FCS, D2 or D3 players. That’s why we have those state championship banners hanging in our stadiums.
Our SMC is loaded with Running Backs and don’t forget you can’t run the ball without those big boys up front too so obviously there is talent there that needs to be looked as well! Can’t wait for this season to get started.

I take it we're talking about college recruiting not who's better? For the sake of personal opinions, I will stick with the college recruiting

Those backs you mention need to go to college camps and impress the coaches. Hanging your hat on HS production and championships alone will not get you recruited. You also have to go out and show out at these camps. That RB in addition to his HS production has blazed the camp circuit up since he's been in 9th grade.

These SMC boys will be better off than most of those MIC boys in 5 or 10 years.

I think some are being taught bad habits. Sooner or later stacking the deck will catch up to you.

I take it we're talking about college recruiting not who's better? For the sake of personal opinions, I will stick with the college recruiting

Those backs you mention need to go to college camps and impress the coaches. Hanging your hat on HS production and championships alone will not get you recruited. You also have to go out and show out at these camps. That RB in addition to his HS production has blazed the camp circuit up since he's been in 9th grade.
160 lb. backs in the SMC have virtually zero chance of succeeding at the college level.
I know of 2 SMC skill players that have had successful college careers (Pickens/Shuler)
Take our last 2 stud backs,Matheson and Galavez. They were never even given the chance to succeed in college, yet they ran through the state like hot butter. I can promise you, the best backs don't always make it at the college level.
Most of our backs are not even interested in college football..Its fine with me if they want to do their showing out in high school.
Even the larger backs that have gone on to college from the SMC were never given the chance to succeed.
99.9 % of football players will be remembered for what they done on Friday nights ,not Saturdays. The bond formed in High School and in State and Conference Championships will last our boys forever. You can have your college fraternities, we will stick to our hometown celebration parades.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
I know of 2 SMC skill players that have had successful college careers (Pickens/Shuler)
Maybe at the FBS level but there's plenty that had success at lower levels. I mean Luke Charles was a D2 All American at UNC Pembroke not that long ago. Thinking of recent Robbinsville guys, Kurt Odom had a fairly solid career as a back at Campbell.

Last edited:
160 lb. backs in the SMC have virtually zero chance of succeeding at the college level.
Take our last 2 stud backs,Matheson and Galavez. They were never even given the chance to succeed in college, yet they ran through the state like hot butter. I can promise you, the best backs don't always make it at the college level.
Most of our backs are not even interested in college football..Its fine with me if they want to do their showing out in high school.
Even the larger backs that have gone on to college from the SMC were never given the chance to succeed.
99.9 % of football players will be remembered for what they done on Friday nights ,not Saturdays. The bond formed in High School and in State and Conference Championships will last our boys forever. You can have your college fraternities, we will stick to our hometown celebration parades.
That use to be 100 percent true. Not so much anymore. In Murphys case there have been several kids going to college almost every year and playing. It's my understanding that coach Nelson has done an incredible job since hes been coaching at Murphy by helping the kids know what it takes and getting them prepared for the next level if they are capable. From what I have been told he has helped many kids get a look and helped them find a school, not just FB kids either. My point is that today it's very different than in the past when it comes to kids going on to college and playing their sport. lots of smaller schools now with sports programs that did not exist in the past. The opportunity is there now more than in the past for those kids with the grades and the ability to play in college. Finding the right person that knows the process and how to achieve all that goes into it is a huge help. Some kids just never have anyone that can help them.

What I will say is a lot of SMC guys seem to have trouble adjusting to the college life and end up back home, whether its from being homesick or not cutting it academically.

As far as skill players in recent times Gaige Cox was actually a 3 star recruit on ESPN before he tore his knee up and Kenton Braswell was a 2 star on Rivals, neither one had their academics in order though. Gaige signed with a fairly prominent JUCO program but never ended up there.

Last edited:
There are way too many variables at play when evaluating talent. Statistics only give you so much. Tarboro has several thousand yard RBs every single year, yet very few get a look from major colleges. How many games did you face a solid defense? How good is the supporting cast? How committed are you to the run in play calling? These are all questions recruiters you ask themselves when looking at an athlete. The biggest issue you face in 1A is quality opponents. Most major college recruiters can't be bothered to evaluate players in small schools because they just don't believe the competition they have faced translates to the college game. If college coaches had more time and an unlimited budget, I'm sure a lot more guys could get a look. Being within a 90 minute drive of Raleigh means that Tarboro doesn't go entirely ignored, but SMC schools don't have that kind of luxury. Those HS coaches and players have to work harder than most to get noticed because of all the factors I just mentioned. Talent is talent and it shouldn't matter who you play, how close you are to the nearest major airport or media outlets, how a player is used by his coaches, who he plays with or against. I wish all these kids luck in landing a scholarship that will hopefully lead to future success.

Maybe at the FBS level but there's plenty that had success at lower levels. I mean Luke Charles was a D2 All American at UNC Pembroke not that long ago. Thinking of recent Robbinsville guys, Kurt Odom had a fairly solid career as a back at Campbell.
Kurt was one of a kind. He was big and fast. Fastest man in conference and holds the all time rushing record ..but like I said,very few will get college offers. By comparison, Rylee Anderson of Robbinsville will probably break all time rushing record. Very small and nowhere near the fastest in the conference.
He ,like some of the others mentioned in the conference in the 160lb range will never have a college career. Tye Mintz who was All SMC All World has already transferred because of lack of playing time and because they changed his position

Last edited:
Rosman has had some success with running backs in college. Back in the day Jay Sheridan played at Carson Newman has a ring from there. Brett Chappell played at Western and was just a cut away from making it in NFL. Just because you are from SMC doesn't mean you can't. You have to work even harder. Murphy guys said it best a lot of times kid comes home due to homesickness or something else. Maybe heart not in it. Maybe those Robbinsville kids don't have the heart for college ball.

Rosman has had some success with running backs in college. Back in the day Jay Sheridan played at Carson Newman has a ring from there. Brett Chappell played at Western and was just a cut away from making it in NFL. Just because you are from SMC doesn't mean you can't. You have to work even harder. Murphy guys said it best a lot of times kid comes home due to homesickness or something else. Maybe heart not in it. Maybe those Robbinsville kids don't have the heart for college ball.
You just lost all credibility.
Why don't you ask the greatest back in Rosmans pitiful program how much heart Robbinsville backs have. Ask Brett what happened when he met Travis Mccracken on the football field and ask him how many yards and TDs he had? Robbinsville kids may be alot of things but I can promise you the great ones from Rville had as much heart as anyone you will find. Ask their opponents..
Robbinsville has the top 3 backs in rushing in SMC history and probably 6 out of the top 10.Thats not from lack of heart.

One variable that is overlooked is the relationship between the high school coach and college coaches. Since MICS was name dropped I'll go ahead and say that Coach Washington and his staff take the time during the offseason to travel to different campuses to build a relationship with college coaches. If the coach develops a trust with the other then they are more likely to look at their kid a little harder.

Reactions: TigerDen2
Heart on Friday night paying in front of you community and life long buddies is different then at college when you don't know anyone. Maybe its better said a lot of Robbinsville players don't have the desire to play college football.

I dont think Robbinsville has the top 3 smc running backs. Kurt is 1.
I think 2 is the Cherokee kid.
3 might be from Hayesville.
Mccracken at 4.
I'm not sure who our next leading rusher is.
I wish somebody could post these stats.

I dont think Robbinsville has the top 3 smc running backs. Kurt is 1.
I think 2 is the Cherokee kid.
3 might be from Hayesville.
Mccracken at 4.
I'm not sure who our next leading rusher is.
I wish somebody could post these stats.
I was assuming Anderson breaks the record
and McCracken 3rd.
There doesn't seem to be accurate records through the NCHSAA as Kurt is not even on the list

There is a cherokee player 2nd? U talking bout Mintz who left?

There is a cherokee player 2nd? U talking bout Mintz who left?
No, he's talking about Langston Wood. Stud player for Cherokee '05 to '07. Langston was an awesome athlete and had good size, 6'0 190 lbs. I'm surprised it didn't work out for him at Western.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Kurt had 5,600.
If Anderson matches his total from the last 2 seasons he will break the 6,000yd mark. Ofcourse he will have 1 less game to do it in because of CS dropping us.
I think Mccracken had 5,100-5,200. Ive always heard Mccracken had 900 yds as a freshman that wasn't in his total. That doesnt make sense to me but who knows.

SMC and Murphy and Robbinsville in particular have been blessed beyond measure with talented running backs dating back to at least the 1960's......it's a hell of a argument to even make the top 10 backs list all time at mhs. I can throw 25-30 names out that could make a legitimate argument for the top 10 list at Murphy......start with Willie Brown and work from there......fans at The Hill have been blessed for decades watching tremendous running backs do thier thing

I think B. Sain will be Swains all time leader after next year. He will probably end up with 5,000 plus yds. Thats 1,500 this year and 1,500 next year.

Reactions: Swaindad40
D1 talent is rare on any team much less on a 1A team. The difference in every sport from 1A to 4A is huge but probably the largest in football. Honestly a 1500 yard rusher in 1A is not the same as one in 4A. A good example for me was seeing my son compete at state in the shot put. The 1A kids competed and they were some big talented kids but after they left the shot put area and the 4A kids came in the size difference was unbelievable. I believe this is also the case between a good 1A back and a higher classification. The kid from Robbinsville wouldn't have his yardage outside of 1A.

Alot of the time when a SMC recruit arrives on campus, the first thing a coach does is change their position that they have played all their life.

That happens to a lot of players either planned before they arrive or it becomes evident fairly quick when the competition starts up. One of the best high school running backs I have seen was a 1A player and when he became qualified for D1 football the schools were on him but until then they gave cursory looks only.

Last edited:
D1 talent is rare on any team much less on a 1A team. The difference in every sport from 1A to 4A is huge but probably the largest in football. Honestly a 1500 yard rusher in 1A is not the same as one in 4A. A good example for me was seeing my son compete at state in the shot put. The 1A kids competed and they were some big talented kids but after they left the shot put area and the 4A kids came in the size difference was unbelievable. I believe this is also the case between a good 1A back and a higher classification. The kid from Robbinsville wouldn't have his yardage outside of 1A.

You just lost all credibility.
Why don't you ask the greatest back in Rosmans pitiful program how much heart Robbinsville backs have. Ask Brett what happened when he met Travis Mccracken on the football field and ask him how many yards and TDs he had? Robbinsville kids may be alot of things but I can promise you the great ones from Rville had as much heart as anyone you will find. Ask their opponents..
Robbinsville has the top 3 backs in rushing in SMC history and probably 6 out of the top 10.Thats not from lack of heart.
First of all I stated that maybe they are lacking heart to play college ball because you guys from Robbinsville are the ones crying, why don't are backs make it in college we have the greatest program ever. I know it's probably Murphys fault I mean you seem to blame them for everything and anything. Murphy guys are you guys getting in touch with these college programs? Has to be a conspiracy. Fyi I never once said you didn't have great backs. I think you got the best running back in SMC at this time. But you guys from Robbinsville get on my last nerve with all this crap. There is a lot more talent once you get off the mtn.

Reactions: GreyGod623
This post had three main points.
First it is difficult for non SMC backs to run against SMC teams due to the physical demands and running style that is needed. Nothing towards the Raptors and their stud back.
Second point is that SMC running backs and linemen are drastically underrated. We don’t leave out the big boys up front. Yes we are 1A but our backs are a different breed to take a beating every week.
Recruiting should not stop in Asheville. But I get it. They can see and recruit 15 players in a 30 min radius in Charlotte or a highly populated area. Here they have to drive a few hours and may see 1 or 2 players. Camps are the answer for our players and they have to be seen first hand. Film and social media helps a lot. For sixth - eighth grade, youth camps are great for development. FBU, USA Football, Diamond Youth Football, etc. They even have college youth camps. Once a player hits ninth grade then they can attend most college Prospect camps. I recommend starting these early and plan to attend several every summer. It’s ultimately the players and the parents responsibility to get these players recruited. Coaches are there as a resource and to help facilitate.

I was assuming Anderson breaks the record
and McCracken 3rd.
There doesn't seem to be accurate records through the NCHSAA as Kurt is not even on the list

It is the school's responsibility to provide the information to update the list.

First of all I stated that maybe they are lacking heart to play college ball because you guys from Robbinsville are the ones crying, why don't are backs make it in college we have the greatest program ever. I know it's probably Murphys fault I mean you seem to blame them for everything and anything. Murphy guys are you guys getting in touch with these college programs? Has to be a conspiracy. Fyi I never once said you didn't have great backs. I think you got the best running back in SMC at this time. But you guys from Robbinsville get on my last nerve with all this crap. There is a lot more talent once you get off the mtn.
You are a nut. NOBODY was complaining because Robbinsville backs don't go to college..we were saying that 1A backs don't stand much of a chance in college ball.
Enjoy your 3-7 season...Again

And what type of crying is this? 165 lb. Back from SMC don't make it at college level. And my favorite they were never given a chance to succeed. That is hilarous. But I wish you the best this year you guys will do great in SMC, you most likely will be great in playoffs. Remember there is a world outside of 1A. That is why your backs struggle at college level. Different talent pool. You have to work harder than you do at the high school level period.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT