ADVERTISEMENT

Cutler Adams/Tyler Mason

Not from Robbinsville but Adams has an FCS offer (Yale) and a D2 offer (Catawba) right now. As far as college position I don't see RB personally, I think he'll probably end up playing safety at the next level.
That’s what I think. Andrews Issac Weaver is red shirted at Mars Hill and they have him listed as a LB. I went out Saturday to watch Mars Hill Homecoming and even DII is on a different level of speed than any SMC player in my opinion

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980 and mbdfan
That’s what I think. Andrews Issac Weaver is red shirted at Mars Hill and they have him listed as a LB. I went out Saturday to watch Mars Hill Homecoming and even DII is on a different level of speed than any SMC player in my opinion
My son is playing D3 football and the level there is different too. They have a DE from Alabama that Falcons asked about according to my son. The DE is a junior.

They know more than me but I was a little surprised when Mars Hill asked Weaver to bulk up to transition to LB. He had already started bulking while he was still in high school after football season, he had noticeably lost some speed during track season from the weight gain (which I feel was too fast and not all good weight that he put on).

Weaver was the best ball hawking safety I've personally seen in the SMC and I feel he had enough speed to stick at safety at that level had he not bulked up to that degree.

My son is playing D3 football and the level there is different too. They have a DE from Alabama that Falcons asked about according to my son. The DE is a junior.
I think a lot of folks should go watch a DII & DIII game in person before they make a judgement that very good small school players can get DI offers and actually get on the field or Gym for actual playing time. I’m not saying it doesn’t or can’t happen but it’s rare. Reality hurts when your playing at the next level unless your are the caliber of Heath Schuler or Carl Pickens just reference for SMC

They know more than me but I was surprised when Mars Hill asked Weaver to bulk up to transition to LB. He had already started bulking while he was still in high school after football season, he had noticeably lost some speed during track season from the weight gain (which I feel was too fast and not all good weight that he put on).

Weaver was the best ball hawking safety I've personally seen in the SMC and I feel he had enough speed to stick at safety at that level.
I agree on the bulking up and he did but when I seen him Saturday I thought he had lost some weight but yes I felt all along that Safety would be perfect for him but I’m just a armchair Qb

Reactions: Swo1980 and sbbbfan
All college levels are going to be better than HS even the SMC. Have watched a lot of Lenoir Rhyne he's and it's good college football.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980
I agree on the bulking up and he did but when I seen him Saturday I thought he had lost some weight but yes I felt all along that Safety would be perfect for him but I’m just a armchair Qb
Safety would seem to make the most sense for most who have seen him play. Like mbd fan said, he bulked up and got a step or two slower. He may have accounted for that now but it would seem to me that the best option would be to keep him at safety unless he can bulk up and stay the same speed. If he could do that, then maybe LB is a better option. That’s why they get paid to coach though and not me.

Reactions: Swo1980
Some
They know more than me but I was a little surprised when Mars Hill asked Weaver to bulk up to transition to LB. He had already started bulking while he was still in high school after football season, he had noticeably lost some speed during track season from the weight gain (which I feel was too fast and not all good weight that he put on).

Weaver was the best ball hawking safety I've personally seen in the SMC and I feel he had enough speed to stick at safety at that level had he not bulked up to that degree.
Some of the weight gain came from his knee injury. He has lost that and is now putting on muscle. Mars hill had a few very good senior transfers come in is the main reason he is redshirting this season. I agree that he was one of the best safety's I have seen come through the SMC. I think he can play both at the college level depending on how much muscle they want to put on him. With today's offenses LBS need to have great speed too.

I have been talking about the difference in high school and any level of college play for three years now on NC Preps. Finally it seems to being seen.

One of the things I do when I take players or parents to LR games is to get them to stand with me where the players walk past us with in 1 to 4 feet. After the players walk by I ask the question: what did you just see?

Mostly when they get over the shock, I explain what they saw was "men" , not high schoolers. What they saw is "men" after two to three years of college weight training, controlled diet, and supervision. Very seldom does a freshman come in and "start" over players that are 1 to 4 years older. The rare exceptional talent can do it but it is the exception, not the rule.

And the difference between D1 and upper level D2 is not much. In fact, I believe it is mostly upper level D2 is every position is 2 to 3 deep and D1 is 4 to 5 deep with some, but little difference in skill level. Some just seem to fit the scheme a little better.

Take Jefferson Boaz, QB from East Surry. He went to UNC and sat behind Sam Howell now of the Washington Football team and the kid they have now leading the Tar Heels to an undefeated season so far. Boaz accomplished much, much more than either did in high school.

Boaz has had multi opportunities to portal and be the starting QB at D1 and D2 programs. But he has decided to stay at UNC. But Boaz is the rare talent and has made a conscious decision.

Take both Gooslen kids. Steven went to UNC. Hardly got to play. Portaled to Virginia Tech and is playing big time.
My son went to an NAIA school in Iowa that had 4 people in the NFL. He played behind a transfer kid that averaged 190 yards in college and went to the Steelers.

I believe most really good, outstanding high school athletes would be better off going to a good upper level D2, FCS or lower level D1. Then, if they are the exceptional player at that level, do what Mario Anderson of Newberry did and portal to South Carolina where he is doing just fine this year.

Last edited:
I have been talking about the difference in high school and any level of college play for three years now on NC Preps. Finally it seems to being seen.

One of the things I do when I take players or parents to LR games is to get them to stand with me where the players walk past us with in 1 to 4 feet. After the players walk by I ask the question: what did you just see?

Mostly when they get over the shock, I example what they saw was "men" , not high schoolers. What they saw is "men" after two to three years of college weight training, controlled diet, and supervision. Very seldom does a freshman come in and "start" over players that are 1 to 4 years older. The rare exceptional talent can do it but it is the exception, not the rule.

And the difference between D1 and upper level D2 is not much. In fact, I believe it is mostly upper level D2 is every position is 2 to 3 deep and D1 is 4 to 5 deep with little difference in skill level. Some just seem to fit the scheme a little better.

Take Jefferson Boaz, QB from East Surry. He went to UNC and sat behind Sam Howell now of the Washington Football team and the kid they have now leading the Tar Heels to an undefeated season so far. Boaz accomplished much, much more than either did in high school.

Boaz has had multi opportunities to portal and be the starting QB at D1 and D2 programs. But he has decided to stay at UNC. But Boaz is the rare talent.

Take both Gooslen kids. Steven went to UNC. Hardly got to play. Portaled to Virginia Tech and is playing big time.
My son went to an NAIA school in Iowa that had 4 people in the NFL. He played behind a transfer kid that averaged 190 yards in college and went to the Steelers.

I believe most really good, outstanding high school athletes would be better off going to a good upper level D2, FCS or lower level D1. Then, if they are the exceptional player at that level, do what Mario Anderson of Newberry did and portal to South Carolina where he is doing just fine this year.
The way the transfer portal is you could see these small colleges getting a lot of young talent since it seems most of the bigger ones are mostly transfer players now

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Another thing to take into consideration is a Jackson State type thing. Deion getting that job almost instantly tuned people in to a lower level of college football. Think about the players that were rostered in his tenure there as head coach. Things like that are a rare occasion, but don’t you know those Jackson State corners were in awe learning from one of the best? My point is, things like that happening almost instantly brought more attention to the Lower division football teams/games. With that being said, recruiters are also paying attention to those things as well.

The Catawba and LR level is very good football.
In 2013 former Maryland terps quarterback (East Forsyth high graduate) transfered to Catawba to play final season. I was expecting him to really stand out but had very average year. Lot of talent at this level

Another big difference, I believe, is the level of coaching. Just as at the high school level, their is no debate about what excellent coaching does for or to a high school team. We see it all the time that a really good head coach can turn a high school program around in fairly short order.

The same is true at D3 and D2 level. Take Limestone University for instance. LR beat the crap out of them several years, then a new coach has them looking like world beaters, along with 17 D1 transfers.
Carson Newman was a giant program for nearly 30 years with Ken Sparks. He retires and the program struggles and at times on life support.

LR went from NAIA National Champion and the following year runner up to a long period of 3 or 4 wins was a great year. Fred Goldsmith of Duke and Tulane fame came in and the turn around was accomplished in 3 years.

The main part that is lacking at D2 from D1 is the quality of scouting and recruiting, for most D2 programs. The more limited staff and recruiting budgets do make a difference.

I agree with you it might be. But and this is a rarity for a 1A team. Really any team. And it's not bragging cause I'm jealous we don't have those kind of players right now. Mason three-star borderline four star going to Virginia tech. Dandy three star borderline four star going to Virginia tech. The Baldwin kid 6 7 255 right guard probably getting ready from what I hear to get offered by Virginia tech. Revels number three the fastest kid on the team a solid division two maybe getting an offer from UVA. And the linebacker wide receiver Hunter kicker who is receiving serious interest from Duke and others. Not to mention Caleb Reid who will go to a division two school on a scholarship. Not to mention the sophomore at 6'1 3:45 running a five 1 40 I'm not sure Raven Gap does have a better defense. Say what you want they're probably deeper and I don't know much about them but I would be hard pressed to see any kids coming off that or any team that have that kind of talent. Now it doesn't mean a hill of beans if they don't turn it into winds on the field. But I believe they've allowed less than a thousand yards so far total. That's pretty impressive. Just playing devil's advocate here but I hear you saying that twice..
No dog in this fight, but let me take your not sure and put your wonders away. They do, again that’s not a knock on MA it’s just RG is that good. As they should be just like I said prior to RG and Robinsville match up. MA is public and stacked really stacked for 1A so is Robinsville. It’s just a whole different beast when you play stacked and well recruited Private schools. You just named off 5-6 guys going to play at the next level and that’s unheard of for a 1A school. Problem is that RG has 25-30 guys doing that it’s a Junior College basically. Times have changed bc recruiting changed. These aren’t the private schools of the 70s, 80s and 90s where all the kids are there for academic reasons.

Several years ago, and I do mean several, the AD at Statesville said and stood by it that they would not play private schools that could and did regularly recruit. At that time it mostly concerned Basketball.

Today it is all sports. Look at whom has regular won smaller school state championships in tennis, soccer, golf, etc. I think Bishop McGinnis won something like 9 straight 1A Ladies Basketball. Now it is the Basketball factories that are disguised as high schools.

It is not fair. Full Stop. Period.

Well the good thing about it is is they'll never play public sports. Not recruiting like that. Yeah the charter schools they recruit but they have some guidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT