ADVERTISEMENT

So long 1A, it's time to move on.

Let's hope 1A is non football playing schools. 1A in Texas is 8 man football schools.

Eight is a logistical nightmare. Seven with non football playing schools as 1A would have possibly worked.

Reactions: ColeridgeNC
I think 1A and 2A will end up combined in football. Lots of non-football charters in the 2A group, too, where it will still end up less than 64 combined. Then as long as you can still have split conferences, we get a 1A/2A SMC. If no split conferences, I'd imagine Murphy, Cherokee and Swain all go 2A along with Mitchell and Thomas Jefferson (and leave Hayesville, Andrews, and Robbinsville down in 1A with Rosman). But then I'm sure TJCA would rather be with Cherryville and Bessemer City instead of all the long bus trips west. Hope the legislature figures out how to chew what they bit off with this stuff.

But also, Swain will probably be flirting with 3A...

Last edited:
SC just changed their classifications regarding the number of teams in each class. There will now be more schools in 5A which they will subdivide for all team playoffs. Probably should have did that but went back to 4A which somewhat the prior setup.

They are doing a multiplier for any student that does not live in the district will now count as three students. This is designed for use with the charters and parochials but will also work with "traditional" schools. I am sure there will be loopholes but at least they are showing some fortitude to do something. CanNOT believe the 1A and 2A schools in NC are not pushing for something to curb the advantages of those schools.

Dutch Fork (former NC coach Tom Knotts) team has been exteremely dominant in 5A and subdivided 4A. This will probably make them even more so. We will see many more consecutive and multi time state champions.

Most likely, there will be eight classes of schools in the NCHSAA, but football playing schools will compete for seven titles in football. 1A will mostly become non-football playing charter schools. The dozen or so, football playing charter schools can play in conferences with traditional high schools for football only and join these charter school conferences for other sports. Did the NCHSAA think this through? Of course, not!

Most likely, there will be eight classes of schools in the NCHSAA, but football playing schools will compete for seven titles in football. 1A will mostly become non-football playing charter schools. The dozen or so, football playing charter schools can play in conferences with traditional high schools for football only and join these charter school conferences for other sports. Did the NCHSAA think this through? Of course, not!
Whats the point of having 8 classifications if it doesn't work. Should have kept the sub divisions come playoff times.

Whats the point of having 8 classifications if it doesn't work. Should have kept the sub divisions come playoff times.
One of the main issue is that 65 non football schools then go to 1A when they did the alignment with football only schools.

There is no simple way without dealing with the non football schools which almost all charter schools. If they would make a stand about the charters it would be much more fair.

Once again, every 1A coach and AD should be pushing this!

One of the main issue is that 65 non football schools then go to 1A when they did the alignment with football only schools.

There is no simple way without dealing with the non football schools which almost all charter schools. If they would make a stand about the charters it would be much more fair.

Once again, every 1A coach and AD should be pushing this!
@btango I don’t believe your windmill tilting will ever be fruitful…
I do, however, profoundly respect your attempts…

I personally would not want to see Robbinsville winning a state football title playing against any of those schools. But I will take living rent free in Swain fans heads anyday 😂

Reactions: Maroonsmoke
I think 1A and 2A will end up combined in football. Lots of non-football charters in the 2A group, too, where it will still end up less than 64 combined. Then as long as you can still have split conferences, we get a 1A/2A SMC. If no split conferences, I'd imagine Murphy, Cherokee and Swain all go 2A along with Mitchell and Thomas Jefferson (and leave Hayesville, Andrews, and Robbinsville down in 1A with Rosman). But then I'm sure TJCA would rather be with Cherryville and Bessemer City instead of all the long bus trips west. Hope the legislature figures out how to chew what they bit off with this stuff.

But also, Swain will probably be flirting with 3A...
Just have a three team Conference. Play each other twice a year for conference games. We did this in the past so why not again!

Just have a three team Conference. Play each other twice a year for conference games. We did this in the past so why not again!
Prove me wrong!
You talk as if this year’s team is one of if not the best ever to play at Mt Airy so I’ll say this, there’s been several Robbinsville teams in the last 30 years that would have handled them fairly easily, not to mention Murphy teams and a even a couple Swain teams! You constantly belittle the accomplishments of our kids on this page which shows the true character you have as a human being. We play who they put in front of us! Matter of fact we struggle to actually, you know, to even find games! We showed we’ll play anyone! And it might do you some good to research some of the little championship teams we’ve had out here, you might think a little differently….nah, you wouldn’t!

You talk as if this year’s team is one of if not the best ever to play at Mt Airy so I’ll say this, there’s been several Robbinsville teams in the last 30 years that would have handled them fairly easily, not to mention Murphy teams and a even a couple Swain teams! You constantly belittle the accomplishments of our kids on this page which shows the true character you have as a human being. We play who they put in front of us! Matter of fact we struggle to actually, you know, to even find games! We showed we’ll play anyone! And it might do you some good to research some of the little championship teams we’ve had out here, you might think a little differently….nah, you wouldn’t!
Just like y'all put MA down all year for weak schedule. Robb won most Ships in 70s when 1A was not many teams and a joke. Not belittling just facts. If you judging a person from a message board then you showing how stupid you are!!!

Just like y'all put MA down all year for weak schedule. Robb won most Ships in 70s when 1A was not many teams and a joke. Not belittling just facts. If you judging a person from a message board then you showing how stupid you are!!!
I don’t care how many teams there was. Like I said, do a little research if you want the facts! Ask the old Sylva Webster fans from the Streeter days how good little old Robbinsville was! Our 99 team would have dominated this bunch, and the 14 and 19 teams would’ve won as well! There’s you some facts

• Haha
Reactions: Jmappfan5
I don’t care how many teams there was. Like I said, do a little research if you want the facts! Ask the old Sylva Webster fans from the Streeter days how good little old Robbinsville was! Our 99 team would have dominated this bunch, and the 14 and 19 teams would’ve won as well! There’s you some facts
I seen the 19 team of Robb and no way they would won!

MA 2-0 vs Robb. Beat them in the Big Oaks. MA owns the SMC period enough said!
MOUNT AIRY vs SMC 2004 to 2023 As far as MaxPreps goes back to 2004. I got the 1996 & 1997 from a post by DaddyDoug on Nov. 12 2023 Mount Airy is 7 & 3 vs the SMC since 1996.
Correct me if I am wrong
DaddyDoug.
2023– Mount Airy 27 Robbinsville 16 *
2018--
Mount Airy 50 Swain 20
2017--
Mount Airy 49 Murphy 35
2014--
Swain 14 Mount Airy 00
2009-
-Mount Airy 27 Robbinsville 26 *
2008--
Mount Airy 46 Cherokee 00
2007-
-Mount Airy 30 Swain 00
2005--
Murphy 27 Mount Airy 14
1997--
Mount Airy 20 Murphy 14
1996--
Murphy 19 Mount Airy 00

Last edited:
When you say it was a joke, not belittling, just a fact. As always your wrong, that is an opinion. When you post you show your lack of comprehension of most things(especially English), sadly you are like a bad apple, you contaminate people's view of Mt Airy fans.

Last edited:
When you say it was a joke, not belittling, just a fact. As always your wrong, that is an opinion. When you post you show your lack of comprehension of most things(especially English), sadly you are like a bad apple, you containment people's view of Mt Airy fans.
Just like yall saying those teams would have beat MA this year. Opinions!!!!!!!!!

2023 STATE CHAMPS ENOUGH SAID! Now keep living in the past about all the SMC has done!
Again English is a problem. What lies have been told by anyone but you? People are stating opinions, you are the one that states "facts" when really it is your opinion. Earlier you said someone was showing how stupid they are. I think you have mastered that skill.

Again English is a problem. What lies have been told by anyone but you? People are stating opinions, you are the one that states "facts" when really it is your opinion. Earlier you said someone was showing how stupid they are. I think you have mastered that skill.
Britney Spears What GIF

Just my opinion but Man what I would give to see that Robbinsville 14 or 19 team played MA team this year..Those teams were what this years team wasn't in my opinion..MEAN
Also the 87 Murphy team was at least 3 Tds better than this MA team..
The Shuler led Swain teams were also better than MA..
Those good Plymouth teams would have handled them too.
If what they brought to Robbinsville was a once in a generation team...lol

Just my opinion but Man what I would give to see that Robbinsville 14 or 19 team played MA team this year..Those teams were what this years team wasn't in my opinion..MEAN
Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jmappfan5
The difference in the 1987 high school game and the 2023 version are significant although I think less in 1A football than with the larger metro schools. Hard to compare those eras. Would be interesting to have a Time Machine.

1987 4A state title game, Harding had nine players that weighed over 200 pounds. Garner maybe a few more. I think Mallard Creek had a title team that started nine on offense that weighed over 200.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think that marroon smoke is good man. Give me some of that. Ryan gaither was a pretty good QB but that team had Pickens. Maybe one of the best one a teams. As far as those swain teams they were awesome as well but they had shuler didn't they? I'm not so sure the game is the same. Those teams were a lot smaller. I'd say your current robbinsville team beats those teams or plays with them. I'm glad you think it's a laugh about the generational talent. Because that's what you had then. Although you had a pretty good team coming back next year.you haven't had a Pickens since. Have you? Generational talent. Or a shuler. Generational talent. I haven't heard anybody say this Mount Airy team was a generational talent. Maybe they'll say it about their sophomore class there's not as many of them but what I hear they got four comparable division one players in that class. At least three. My personal would have liked to see that robbinsville team play this year's team as well. This year's team was damn good. Ask Coach Walsh what he thinks. I'll say this though I think you got the sleeper in your backyard to win it all next year. That Swain county team is gonna be good good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT