ADVERTISEMENT

So long 1A, it's time to move on.

That's probably exactly the truth. Gaither was no Aaron Rodgers. Although back then I think he was a better passing quarterback than schuler. Actually what am I saying Heath was never a good passing quarterback. Or a senator. No matter what Benji says.
Coach Gaither's son wasn't Murphy's QB during Pickens years, that was well after.

Murphy QB play during Pickens years was mediocre. It didn't matter though when you had Pickens at WR and the wealth of skill talent everywhere else in the backfield with Mel Nicely, DJ Cox, Benny Smith, Juice Nicely and Dino Allen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroonsmoke
Coach Gaither's son wasn't Murphy's QB during Pickens years, that was well after.

Murphy QB play during Pickens years was mediocre. It didn't matter though when you had Pickens at WR and the wealth of skill talent everywhere else in the backfield with Mel Nicely, DJ Cox, Benny Smith, Juice Nicely and Dino Allen.
Ni ely and Smith were dudes man. Ryan gaither was the quarterback his junior and senior years in 87 and 88. I know he was in 88 we went and saw Elkin beat them in 88 at Murphy. Pickens had just graduated. They had some giant receiver a number 10 I can't remember his name. Who was the QB in 87 then if it wasn't gaither.

Ni ely and Smith were dudes man. Ryan gaither was the quarterback his junior and senior years in 87 and 88. I know he was in 88 we went and saw Elkin beat them in 88 at Murphy. Pickens had just graduated. They had some giant receiver a number 10 I can't remember his name. Who was the QB in 87 then if it wasn't gaither.
Pretty sure it was Stacy Cornwell.

I got Ryan mixed up with his younger brother, Ryan was the QB in '88 but he was not the QB during Pickens years, that was Stacy Cornwell and Jeff Martin.

Speaking of good coaches how long was gaither the coach.? I'm guessing he stayed with gentry all his career?
Gaither's last year coaching was '03 if I remember correctly, I know for sure it was his last year as assistant principal at Murphy High. Murphy had a couple of down years afterward but started righting the ship when Thomas Nelson came home to take over as d-coordinator a couple of years later.

Just my opinion but Man what I would give to see that Robbinsville 14 or 19 team played MA team this year..Those teams were what this years team wasn't in my opinion..MEAN
Also the 87 Murphy team was at least 3 Tds better than this MA team..
The Shuler led Swain teams were also better than MA..
Those good Plymouth teams would have handled them too.
If what they brought to Robbinsville was a once in a generation team...lol
86 or87 Murphy would have boatraced that team. They couldn’t cover pass. Image what a night pickens and comp would have had on them . Defensive wise their rush defense was lights out. See stats with future NfL back Sam Gash for Hendersonville’s stats

Reactions: Maroonsmoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT