ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lets Hear It ! !

HD students typically can play football for Murphy or Andrews even if they attend HD. This is because HD does not offer football, and so they have to be given the opportunity to play as all other county students. This is not the case for other sports as they already have those. Not saying it happens much, because it doesn't, but they can if they choose to from what I understand. Unless the BOE has changed that rule recently, which I would assume they would have difficulty doing.

HD students would have to transfer to Murphy or Andrews in order to play football. And even then it has to be bona fide move or they run the risk of sitting a year. They did change the rule recently and it's pretty strict.

State tightened the rules a few years ago (I always heard was because of Swain getting kids from Cherokee), then they relaxed the rule a bit, and Cherokee County chose to stick with the stricter rules that the state previously had.

HD players can only attend Murphy if they move inside the Murphy district or they transfer to Murphy before ninth grade.

HD students would have to transfer to Murphy or Andrews in order to play football. And even then it has to be bona fide move or they run the risk of sitting a year. They did change the rule recently and it's pretty strict.

State tightened the rules a few years ago (I always heard was because of Swain getting kids from Cherokee), then they relaxed the rule a bit, and Cherokee County chose to stick with the stricter rules that the state previously had.

Not true.
HD can play for the others without moving.
Some of the other stuff u said is wrong also. Im going to the 2nd falls on Big Snowbird right now. Others will help you with your knowledge or lack of.

Not true.
HD can play for the others without moving.
Some of the other stuff u said is wrong also. Im going to the 2nd falls on Big Snowbird right now. Others will help you with your knowledge or lack of.

It is true. If you have proof then let's have it.

No, you are wrong. And I don't think you understand the point I made earlier, or the difference in certain rules/criteria. I believe you are mistaking transfer criteria with equal opportunity. There is a difference. For football an HD student CAN PLAY FOOTBALL for Murphy or Andrews BECAUSE HD DOES NOT OFFER FOOTBALL. They wouldn't be able to for most other sports because HD offers them. This is the case in every county, even yours. For instance, if Swain did not field a football team one year, every kid they have could come play for Cherokee while attending Swain if they wanted to. Anyway, not worth worrying over.

I am not wrong. Here are the only ways HD kids can play football for Murphy or Andrews. If you are saying the state would overrule Cherokee County, then I'd love to see that rule. Otherwise, the state says counties can make their own rules for themselves. And because of that, here are the only ways an HD kid can play football for Murphy or Andrews:

1. They move out of the HD district to the Murphy or Andrews district
2. They transfer to Andrews or Murphy before entering the 9th grade
3. They transfer anyway and take their chances with the HD prinicipal signing off that the transfer is not for sports and letting them play at Murphy or Andrews

I'm not saying that I agree with this, but it is what the rule is. That's a fact.

In county, are you aware that if a school does not offer a particular sport then a student can participate at a school that does offer that sport? This IS the rule (at least here) because kids HAVE to be given an equal opportunity to participate. I am almost certain it is also a state regulation as well, and could go as far as including out of county participation under this rare situation. We're apparently on two different wave lengths here. I'll see if I can dig something up to clear the misunderstanding up.

I'm pretty sure "equal opportunity" applies to academics and not athletics. Us sports guys tend to forget this, but athletic participation is a privilege and not a right. I looked and I can't find anything on the NCHSAA that says that transfers are allowed if one sport doesn't offer a certain sport. At the federal level, I do not think Title IX rules apply here. I think the Title IX rules around sports are mainly around discrimination.

If you can show me something that says I'm wrong, I'll gladly accept that because I don't think it's right to say a kid has to stay where he at if they don't offer football.

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/NCHSAA_2018-19-Section1.pdf

1.1.1 A Local Education Agency (LEA), Non-Boarding Parochial or Charter School may have policies in any of these areas or others that are more restrictive than the state requirement, but the LEA may not have a policy for eligibility that is less restrictive

Cherokee County and other counties can be more restrictive than the state

1.2.4 Attendance: A student-athlete must meet the LEA attendance policy during the previous semester at an approved high school. (a) A student must, at the time of any practice and/or game in which he or she participates, be a regularly enrolled member of the school’s student body, according to local policy. If there is no local policy, “regularly enrolled” is defined as enrolled for at least one half of the “minimum load.”

Students can't play sports at any school other than the one they go to school at.

1.2.10 Transfer Policy: After initial entry into the ninth grade, and absent a bona fide move as provided in the Residence section of this Handbook (See 1.2.9): (a) A student transferring from one member school to another member school within the same LEA must sit out 365 days for athletic participation. The LEA can create criteria for immediate athletic eligibility for transfers (assignments) within the LEA. (b) A student transferring from one member school in one LEA to another member school in a different LEA must sit out two consecutive semesters, or 365 days, whichever is less, for athletic participation. NOTE: A student’s participation in cheerleading is not subject to the NCHSAA Transfer Policy. (1) By mutual agreement that the transfer is not for athletic purposes, a student’s first transfer from LEA to LEA, and absent a bona fide move, is not subject to the NCHSAA Transfer Policy

County to county transfers are allowed one time. Within county transfers require a 1 year sit-out unless the LEA has rules to allow immediate eligibility. Cherokee County chose to not allow immediate eligibility.

I can't find anything in there that says if a school doesn't have a sport then you have to let them transfer to a school that has the sport...

I can't find anything in there that says if a school doesn't have a sport then you have to let them transfer to a school that has the sport...
I think is there somewhere and if not it should be. If a school doesn't offer football then anyone that wants to play football, then they should be able to go to the closest football school and play his or her favorite sport, be it football or any sport his or her school does not offer.

Last edited:
I think is there somewhere and if not it should be. If a school doesn't offer football then anyone that wants to play football, then they should be able to go to the closest football school and play his or her favorite sport, be it football or any sport his or her school does not offer.

They don't have to. Kids go to school to get an education. If your school doesn't offer football then transfer.

Swimming? Lacrosse? Women’s golf?
So if my football team is terrible, I should be able to transfer so that I can take part in my neighboring school’s great swimming program. And oh, I might just play football too.
Go to school to get an education, play the sports you choose in the season they’re played, and strive to be well rounded. Almost everything else is more about the parents than the kid. Are there exceptions? Sure. But not nearly as many as many of us seem to believe.

Having anyone over East Surry in the west is stupid and biased Tarboro should be 1 in the state until proven otherwise but the same should go for East Surry in the west with it without Gosnell’s they meet in the state final again. However without the speed of the Gosnell’s they could get outmatches in that final game.

Having anyone over East Surry in the west is stupid and biased Tarboro should be 1 in the state until proven otherwise but the same should go for East Surry in the west with it without Gosnell’s they meet in the state final again. However without the speed of the Gosnell’s they could get outmatches in that final game.

Why is it stupid and biased? East Surry should be the favorite but to downright say it's stupid and biased that anyone would have someone else making it to the championship is asinine. They've been to one state championship. Tarboro is on another level, they won't have trouble in the east. East Surry is really really good but they're are some teams in the west that will be right in the thick of things with them come playoff time.

Swimming? Lacrosse? Women’s golf?
So if my football team is terrible, I should be able to transfer so that I can take part in my neighboring school’s great swimming program. And oh, I might just play football too.
Go to school to get an education, play the sports you choose in the season they’re played, and strive to be well rounded. Almost everything else is more about the parents than the kid. Are there exceptions? Sure. But not nearly as many as many of us seem to believe.

Exactly. And if this was the case, kids could flop back and forth between regular public for football and the charters that we all love for baseball and basketball.

Just to play football and get to stay at the home school? I don't agree with that. I do agree that kids should be allowed to transfer to schools that have football, but not play a sport at a school they don't go to. Any sport.

So HD kids can play football at Andrews or Murphy correct? Do the schools have to count all the HD kids in their ADMs like schools that use early college kids have to?

HD kids get to.

Lol. I'll say this one more time:

HD STUDENTS CANNOT PLAY FOOTBALL FOR MURPHY OR ANDREWS

I have provided the info from the state policy that proves that this is not possible. If you have a name of a kid who has done this, let's hear it. I won't hold my breath.

So HD kids can play football at Andrews or Murphy correct? Do the schools have to count all the HD kids in their ADMs like schools that use early college kids have to?

No, HD kids cannot and do not play football for Murphy or Andrews. But you are right, I believe if they did then Murphy or Andrews (whichever one) would have to add the HD ADM to their own. No big deal for Andrews, because the combined ADM would put them around the same size as the rest of the SMC (except Murphy and Swain, who would still be around 100 kids bigger). No way Murphy would ever add the HD ADM to theirs, and go to 1AA/2A just for the prospect of about 75 or so extra players.

But I'm not sure this is even possible. According to NCHSAA, you cannot play sports at a school other than the one you attend.

Both of my sons lived in HD district. My oldest went straight into Murphy when we moved there in 2012. My youngest son who just graduated started at Ranger and then went to Murphy middle before starting high school, that is the path most take for football. It seems to me like there might have been an option to go to HD and play for Murphy football. We felt like it would have been hard practice wise and his older brother was already a means of getting into Murphy each day. I don't know if going to HD and playing at Murphy is a real option but I remember with my boys it seeming to be an option.

Reactions: BK13T-$

Esod, not saying your wrong. But this does look a lot like your predictions for the 1A girls Championship last year. We all know how that turned out and you disappeared until now. Your credibility has taken a good sized hit.

I would say most HD kids going to play football would transfer into Murphy High. Would have to be easy for practice, travel, and games.

Cherokeekid how are the Braves looking like for this upcoming season?

Ok guys I've heard about Cherokee being bad but how good is Mt Airy going to be that's what matters I'm a Bear and I think we are going to better than what most in Surry county even though we've lost some kids to graduation think

I can tell you that you cannot attend one high school and play a NCHSAA sport for another high school, even if the school you attend doesn't offer a sport. When North Stokes had to fold their Varsity football program, the Seniors from North tried to be able to play for another county team and the NCHSAA said "NO"

Reactions: CherokeeKid
I can tell you that you cannot attend one high school and play a NCHSAA sport for another high school, even if the school you attend doesn't offer a sport. When North Stokes had to fold their Varsity football program, the Seniors from North tried to be able to play for another county team and the NCHSAA said "NO"
Didn’t that happen during the season and not before the season actually started? I can’t remember if they started with a varsity team, then stopped playing varsity or if they folded the varsity before the season actually began and only played jv.

Hey Watchdog,

Is Millennium fielding football this year. Someone showed me schedule for S. Stokes football and they were on schedule. I asked are you sure this is football. I thought it might be soccer, but he said it was football.

Didn’t that happen during the season and not before the season actually started? I can’t remember if they started with a varsity team, then stopped playing varsity or if they folded the varsity before the season actually began and only played jv.

It did, but regardless the rule is still there. You 100% can't be enrolled at one school and play for another.

Hey Watchdog,

Is Millennium fielding football this year. Someone showed me schedule for S. Stokes football and they were on schedule. I asked are you sure this is football. I thought it might be soccer, but he said it was football.

For some reason on maxpreps Millenium is showing up on everybodys schedule the same week as Mt. Airy.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Murphy fans have said they could but rarely did. Yunz have been spreading false rumors on yourselfs. Lol.

Murphy fans have said they could but rarely did. Yunz have been spreading false rumors on yourselfs. Lol.
That must have been me. I actually don't know. When my boys played initially it was mentioned about the possibility of going to HD and playing. I don't know if it's possible or if anyone ever has. My sons never went there except for my oldest spending a lot of time courting Haylie Shopes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT