ADVERTISEMENT

Hello 2024 1A Football Season ( Lets Hear It )

He graduated from Freedom in the mid to late 90s.
I heard a rumor that JK Adkins never played High School or College football. If that rumor is true. Thats amazing he can sure Coach. Most High School HC have a background playing College football.

I heard a rumor that JK Adkins never played High School or College football. If that rumor is true. Thats amazing he can sure Coach. Most High School HC have a background playing College football.
I'm almost certain he played at Freedom, but it's been a minute, and my mind might be fooling me.

You to Morganton News Herald one year ago just before the Draughn at Mt Airy game and ready the story about the two coaches that played for Freedom High School and for the same coach but at slightly different times.

This seems to give his history during and after his 2001 graduate of Appalachian State.

Here is what looks like it may be the press release when Mount Airy hired JK Adkins.
Mount Airy High School has named Jason Adkins as the head coach of the varsity football team. Adkins comes to MAHS with 16 years of teaching experience and 19 years of coaching experience.

MCHS vs Tarboro should be a good one this year. A lot of talent at MCHS and the addition of their new Coach Jenks and return of the QB should make for an interesting matchup.

That’s an understatement. Complete chaos at times in the past there.
Why would JK Adkins go to a school that has a County School board that can get rid of him if he starts winning the conference every year or can that happen in Burke County ? Maybe he needs to ask a lot of questions from people that he may have known in that area from when there years ago.

The point is that if this situation is ever going to be fixed it will happen because we hired someone who we could trust to hang around and put the program in the position we've always wanted it to be in. Adkins fits that to a T. Whatever happened in the past, and I really don't feel like going in to all the particulars where a couple of coaches came in and said they were in it for the long run, only for them to leave for better opportunities*, that's what the fan base and boosters want.
People have seen what coach Powell has done at Draughn and think the same could be done at Freedom.
*Coaches are free to do that if they think it benefits them and I don't blame them. But there are people who seem to think that this is only a problem with the school system when those of us who are a lot closer have heard different sides of all this controversy.

The point is that if this situation is ever going to be fixed it will happen because we hired someone who we could trust to hang around and put the program in the position we've always wanted it to be in. Adkins fits that to a T. Whatever happened in the past, and I really don't feel like going in to all the particulars where a couple of coaches came in and said they were in it for the long run, only for them to leave for better opportunities*, that's what the fan base and boosters want.
People have seen what coach Powell has done at Draughn and think the same could be done at Freedom.
*Coaches are free to do that if they think it benefits them and I don't blame them. But there are people who seem to think that this is only a problem with the school system when those of us who are a lot closer have heard different sides of all this controversy.
In that case, why would he leave Mount Airy after winning 80% of his games in 6 years, 2 State Championships and a great team returning this year? Two things can happen, 1. he does not win a conference championship in 3 or 4 years and decides to move on again to greener pastures, or 2. he decides 1A or 2A are better fits to give him winning seasons and maybe another State Championship which he could do at Mount Airy a lot easier with the kids coming up and what is there for this fall. When did Freedom last win their conference or go deep in the playoffs ? I can't even remember hearing of Freedom until this all came up but I mainly keep up with 1A & 2A and the 1A through 4A playoff teams that make it to the finals. I think he will not come close to what he was allowed to do at Mount Airy in his 1st 6 years at a 3A school like Freedom.

Alot different too when you bring in someone that grew up there, went to school there, has family in the area, and is what 8 years or so from retirement?

In that case, why would he leave Mount Airy after winning 80% of his games in 6 years, 2 State Championships and a great team returning this year? Two things can happen, 1. he does not win a conference championship in 3 or 4 years and decides to move on again to greener pastures, or 2. he decides 1A or 2A are better fits to give him winning seasons and maybe another State Championship which he could do at Mount Airy a lot easier with the kids coming up and what is there for this fall. When did Freedom last win their conference or go deep in the playoffs ? I can't even remember hearing of Freedom until this all came up but I mainly keep up with 1A & 2A and the 1A through 4A playoff teams that make it to the finals. I think he will not come close to what he was allowed to do at Mount Airy in his 1st 6 years at a 3A school like Freedom.

How much did East Wilkes struggle before he got there?

If he indeed leaves he has his reasons, and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone.

He would leave to be close to family TD! More to life than Football! Freedom was a very good program back in the day. To go back to his roots to coach the school he played for. For a different challenge.

Alot different too when you bring in someone that grew up there, went to school there, has family in the area, and is what 8 years or so from retirement?
Yes-I don't know what his plans are, but I do know that he has a son who is just about to be high school age and he will be a lot closer to him if he comes to Morganton. Maybe his son will come to Freedom if his dad is coaching there. His wife is also from here, and who knows what part she is playing in this.

We haven't won a split conference because 4A Watauga has been dominant. I think we have been the top 3A seed a few years ago, but I don't want to wade through MaxPreps to check. We had a string of 10-win seasons from 2011-2015 and went to the regional finals in 2012. There's talent here, we just need someone who knows how to properly develop it.

He's about 4-5 years from his earliest retirement. He started in 98 or 99 so he’s at 25-26 years in. Getting closer to home to retire I feel like is a common thing or atleast it feels reasonable. Also EW had always had the talent to be a 8-10 win team but had underachieved greatly under the previous coach. Adkins will turn freedom around very similar to how he did EW if freedom has talent and has been a underachiever.

He's about 4-5 years from his earliest retirement. He started in 98 or 99 so he’s at 25-26 years in. Getting closer to home to retire I feel like is a common thing or atleast it feels reasonable. Also EW had always had the talent to be a 8-10 win team but had underachieved greatly under the previous coach. Adkins will turn freedom around very similar to how he did EW if freedom has talent and has been a underachiever.

He didn't start teaching until 2001 correct? His coaching only years likely won't count

I think he was class of 97 or 98 at FHS. Unless he worked his way through college at Broughton or the Iverson Riddle Center (or some other state job) he should still be closer to 10 years to retirement.

He didn't start teaching until 2001 correct? His coaching only years likely won't count
I’m probably wrong. Idk why I wanted to think he graduated from app in 98 my bad. If he’s that long till retirement it makes it a little more confusing why he’d entertain the Job. Hes never stayed longer than 6 years anywhere so I’d be shocked if he stayed longer than 6 years at his home lol… that’s a joke I hope where ever he goes he stays for the rest of his career.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
He was driving for sure, from their mountain home here and then very recently, they purchased a home about 1000 to 1500 feet from the football field. I belief is this is a "going home" decision for whatever reason. We do not want him to leave but do understand and will support him from a far.

Tonight is a school board work session. I think the probably iron things out and next Monday is an open board meeting and probably look for official announcement that night or Tuesday morning from my sources. I've been told there has been a bear sighting at freedom over the last week 😉 🤣

Tonight is a school board work session. I think the probably iron things out and next Monday is an open board meeting and probably look for official announcement that night or Tuesday morning from my sources. I've been told there has been a bear sighting at freedom over the last week 😉 🤣
How many legs did this Bear have?

I do have questions being. Maiden guy not a freedom guy lol. For one this took time and time is important when taking over a new program. Let's say it's approved next Monday, Adkins turns in resignation on Tuesday that stats this 30 day window y'all talked about. So he can't start at freedom till mid March ??. Now putting a staff together another week or 2. So we are near April so now u got some spring camps and starting a lifting program. And u gotta teach kids a new offensive and defensive scheme. While figuring in school ends in May.

Then big question is Adkins flexible with his schemes ?? Because freedom isn't built like Mt airy. They have athletes and skill players. But line is a different issue. As my late great coach Tom Brown use to say "like shit through a goose" would describe their line last year it improved a little over the year but not a huge improvement. And the defense some weeks I don't even know if they got on the bus.

I'd be curious if he'd try and install the triple he ran at East Wilkes at Freedom.
It would be a bad choice there. They have a talented QB at Freedom he needs an offense he can pass in. Spreed or air raid. Not an air raid fan unless I can give QB a lot of time. So really a spread or a pass option offense with a heavier lean towards passing

It would be a bad choice there. They have a talented QB at Freedom he needs an offense he can pass in. Spreed or air raid. Not an air raid fan unless I can give QB a lot of time. So really a spread or a pass option offense with a heavier lean towards passing
2018 he ran spread at MA but offense coach was from Burns. Im sure he knows how to run it.

Alot of the concepts overlap. Watauga runs multiple formations but the basic blocking and read keys are still there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT