ADVERTISEMENT

Hello 2024 1A Football Season ( Lets Hear It )

Oh, I get who you’re referring to now.

I didn’t think Freedom would be the geography Chappell’s looking for so that seemed odd.

do you have any news thats facts set in stone or is this all just rumors. Not sure what to beleive!
At this point still remember but my source I feel pretty good about and he said he was told Adkins. Don't think they're county has a school board meeting until January 29th I would think that would be the announcement. On a firm believer in nothing is ever really final. I believe in the past they've had coaches fall through over school board issues I've been told a lot of politics up there.

At this point still remember but my source I feel pretty good about and he said he was told Adkins. Don't think they're county has a school board meeting until January 29th I would think that would be the announcement. On a firm believer in nothing is ever really final. I believe in the past they've had coaches fall through over school board issues I've been told a lot of politics up there.
They are nuts if he wants it and they turn him down

They are nuts if he wants it and they turn him down

Well school boards have developed(especially recently) a habit of letting crappy politics create chaos. So wouldn't be surprising. School boards are interjecting and interfering way too much in day to day operations in places. Hopefully they'll stay out of the way of a coaching hire. School boards should worry about the Superintendent hire and Superintendent hire only. Not coaches and teachers.

Last edited:
Well school boards have developed(especially recently) a habit of letting crappy politics create chaos. So wouldn't be surprising. School boards are interjecting and interfering way too much in day to day operations in places. Hopefully they'll stay out of the way of a coaching hire. School boards should worry about the Superintendent hire and Superintendent hire only. Not coaches and teachers.
Most places I think that's how it goes. I think it's the high school principal and ad that hire and then their is school board approval but ultimately yeah I guess it is their approval.

I got to figure it's easier to deal with the city school and School board than it is for us County School people. Usually a city has one high school so everybody on the school board for the city is going to be okay with whatever benefits at school whereas us County School people have people elected from all over the county and there may be some people that don't want to see something good happen for one school so they vote against it.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I got to figure it's easier to deal with the city school and School board than it is for us County School people. Usually a city has one high school so everybody on the school board for the city is going to be okay with whatever benefits at school whereas us County School people have people elected from all over the county and there may be some people that don't want to see something good happen for one school so they vote against it.
Surely you jest!! Politics in local education????? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: amaidendevil
Most places I think that's how it goes. I think it's the high school principal and ad that hire and then their is school board approval but ultimately yeah I guess it is their approval.

School board approval usually is and should be a formality. Most of the times they're approving hires in bulk. Especially over summer. Principal and HR do the vetting.

Hiring a Coach this far away from the season I would think wouldn't call for a emergency meeting to vote him in. If nothing is announced by next Wednesday we will know.

Hiring a Coach this far away from the season I would think wouldn't call for a emergency meeting to vote him in. If nothing is announced by next Wednesday we will know.

You'd be surprised what school boards will do. They'll make a classroom go 30 days without a teacher until the board meets to approve a new hire but some will call a special meeting in a heartbeat to approve a coach.

I have said several times that Adkins is still here doing the things that he needs to do. BUT, I know those of us on this Board are not the only ones hearing the rumors. Soooooo,

My question is: what do you think the great people in the Mt Airy Adm are doing? I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the final news. Anybody know or see any activity by them that would add light to the situation?

I have said several times that Adkins is still here doing the things that he needs to do. BUT, I know those of us on this Board are not the only ones hearing the rumors. Soooooo,

My question is: what do you think the great people in the Mt Airy Adm are doing? I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the final news. Anybody know or see any activity by them that would add light to the situation?
I do know neither him or the school can say anything about it until the board passes the vote. Usually a coach can't discuss anything with his current school until its voted on if he has indeed accepted the job and now just waiting to be finalized. I honestly think the MA people are letting it play out and letting him make the decision that's best for him and his family.

I have held out for the longest time and tried to ready the tea leaf's as to action.
I am now pretty convinced that Freedom is going to get one of the very best high school coaches in NC.
Burke County is a wonderful county, great people and if I did not live in Surry County, Burke and Valdese is where I would want to be. Lake Rhodhiss is my kind of Lake.

If it happens, congratulations.

So it looks like Amaidendevil knew exactly what he was talking about, good sources are a wonderful thing to have, and the next question is: where does this leave Mt Airy?

Now everyone knows without a doubt that I have been and still am a big Adkins supporter. So understand my answer to the question is in no way meant to down play HIM.

We are going to be just fine. Especially if our previous 19 year, State Champion winning Head Coach and past 4 or 5 year major assistant Coach retakes the reins. And I believe he will.

Our weight program will not miss a beat, our offensive system will change ever so little, our defensive system will not change as all those coaches should continue with the program.

The sun will come up each morning as in the past and the spirited expectations of the future will remain high.

So it looks like Amaidendevil knew exactly what he was talking about, good sources are a wonderful thing to have, and the next question is: where does this leave Mt Airy?

Now everyone knows without a doubt that I have been and still am a big Adkins supporter. So understand my answer to the question is in no way meant to down play HIM.

We are going to be just fine. Especially if our previous 19 year, State Champion winning Head Coach and past 4 or 5 year major assistant Coach retakes the reins. And I believe he will.

Our weight program will not miss a beat, our offensive system will change ever so little, our defensive system will not change as all those coaches should continue with the program.

The sun will come up each morning as in the past and the spirited expectations of the future will remain high.
Thank you and please know I never meant any ill will towards y'all or ur program. Is was originally a question and then just trying to confirm my info. Wish y'all much future success

Pal, you are a good guy and I have enjoyed getting to exchange post with you. You said something in one of your post about Maiden facing "a murders row in the playoffs". You are absolutely correct. The western part of the state seems to be loaded with really strong programs, no matter the classification.

Tarboro has it much easier in getting to the State Championship games in 1A. Having said that, let me also say I believe they are directly responsible for "forcing" the 1A schools in the West to get serious about their football programs if they want to complete for the "ships".

Look forward to continuing our posting over the next several years. And if you would like it, I would be delighted if you wanted to join me in watching some great Lenoir Rhyne Bears football in a great stadium this coming year. My brother in law and I have 8 reserved stadium seats on the 48 yard line for all home games. They did get to the National Semi finals this year and have most everybody back for the coming season. Let me know.

Pal, you are a good guy and I have enjoyed getting to exchange post with you. You said something in one of your post about Maiden facing "a murders row in the playoffs". You are absolutely correct. The western part of the state seems to be loaded with really strong programs, no matter the classification.

Tarboro has it much easier in getting to the State Championship games in 1A. Having said that, let me also say I believe they are directly responsible for "forcing" the 1A schools in the West to get serious about their football programs if they want to complete for the "ships".

Look forward to continuing our posting over the next several years. And if you would like it, I would be delighted if you wanted to join me in watching some great Lenoir Rhyne Bears football in a great stadium this coming year. My brother in law and I have 8 reserved stadium seats on the 48 yard line for all home games. They did get to the National Semi finals this year and have most everybody back for the coming season. Let me know.
Would be a pleasure we currently have a player there as a freshman Alec hall. And our varsity starting freshman lineman has a brother there playing TE

The last conversations on JK Adkins on the 1A & 3A boards were on Tuesday and the meeting is not until Monday night, so it will not be announced until Tuesday the 30th or maybe it will wait until early February. Who will make the announcement first, Freedom or Mount Airy if he is chosen ? Also, is he still doing his classroom duties at Mount Airy and the weight room?

The last conversations on JK Adkins on the 1A & 3A boards were on Tuesday and the meeting is not until Monday night, so it will not be announced until Tuesday the 30th or maybe it will wait until early February. Who will make the announcement first, Freedom or Mount Airy if he is chosen ? Also, is he still doing his classroom duties at Mount Airy and the weight room?
Is Adkins originally from Morganton? For some reason .I thought he was from Morgantown, WV. I could be wrong and i have been wrong before.

Family is from WVA and they are Mountaineer fans.
Don’t know if it applies in this case, but just like in Thomasville, Morganton and Drexel had a lot of folks from West Virginia recruited to work in the furniture factories. A lot too from the Tabor City area.

I would assume that once it is official, Adkins would want to personally tell the MA team before anyone else said anything. If the decision is made Monday, I would think he would tell the team Tuesday. New travels fast and as he may have requested that no one else says anything publicly, doesn't mean they won't.

Just like any other job, why would someone quit and stop doing their duties just because they applied somewhere else? Until contract is in hand and signed, I'm not quitting. Even then, I wouldn't expect him to just quit. I would think he would finish out the year unless there's an agreement with MA for him to leave early. He still has a classroom he is responsible for.

I would assume that once it is official, Adkins would want to personally tell the MA team before anyone else said anything. If the decision is made Monday, I would think he would tell the team Tuesday. New travels fast and as he may have requested that no one else says anything publicly, doesn't mean they won't.

Thanks for a complete answer. I thought no one read the question.
Just like any other job, why would someone quit and stop doing their duties just because they applied somewhere else? Until contract is in hand and signed, I'm not quitting. Even then, I wouldn't expect him to just quit. I would think he would finish out the year unless there's an agreement with MA for him to leave early. He still has a classroom he is responsible for.
My bet is it may make it to the Freedom thread on the 3A board and I have a good idea by whom and again on the 1A & 3A within minutes of each post.

In the past Freedom has hired coaches that left with soured feelings. Promises were not “fulfilled” after the hire per at least two head coaches. Burke County is recognized in the state as having major issues with the school board, school system, and other elected officials. Seems there may seem head bumping going on. Stay tuned…

Last edited:
I believe one of the promises is a new weight room. I believe School board meets next week hopefully everything can be resolved. And we won't be talking about rumors at that point. But honestly never trust anything that can happen with Burke County School board 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT