ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lets Hear It ! !

Please keep it on football ! That has nothing to do with sports. Getting off the subject is ok to a point but keep it clean. How would a father explain to his 10 or 12-year-old son what that mens..... cycle is in football ? I don't want it locked. ;)

Last edited:
According to MaxPrep I see Tarboro has around 22 or 23 Seniors graduating this year. How will the effect them this year ?
22 Seniors leaving. 20 Juniors rising. In terms of numbers, about average.

Most of the RB's are leaving, but Tarboro never seems to have much of a problem finding ball carriers. I don't think its going to be any big deal anyway because Tarboro usually wins games with defense. I don't see any reason why they aren't as dominant and suffocating as last season. 3 points to East Surry. Shut out North Stanly. Gave 4Q scores to S Stanly and Edenton fielding 2nd string defense under a running clock. Tarboro's defense outscores the opponents entire team most nights. The only difference I see is the clock may not be running quite as much.

Reactions: GreyGod623
Some ACC schools have contacted McTaggert about football.
There is 1 D1 prospect in the SMC..not knocking anyone but if you would watch film on who you think is a D1 prospect, your eyes might be opened. The kid is lost on a football field. Would not even start at any of the big 3 SMC schools.

There is 1 D1 prospect in the SMC..not knocking anyone but if you would watch film on who you think is a D1 prospect, your eyes might be opened. The kid is lost on a football field. Would not even start at any of the big 3 SMC schools.
WOW you are dumb

It doesn’t matter what we see but rather what the colleges see. They must of seen something, they are in contact. It may just be based on size and athletic potential. Of course you may be a better talent scout than coaches that do this for a profession. What do you think?

As for not starting for the big 3 have you consulted their staff or just guessing? As a WR he drew a lot of double coverage in conference games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crimson jacket 1991
1.Tarboro
2.Murphy
3.East Surry
4.Edenton Holmes
5.MT.Airy
6.Pamilco
7.Mitchell
8.Swain
9.North Rowan
10. Robbinsville
10.Starmount Tie

I am seeing some of your "rankings" and frankly, I'm surprised to see Mount Airy anywhere from #5 to unranked. This is a team that has lost 2 games in 2 seasons. In the spirit of Mark Twain, I say the death of Mt Airy has been greatly exaggerated.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I am seeing some of your "rankings" and frankly, I'm surprised to see Mount Airy anywhere from #5 to unranked. This is a team that has lost 2 games in 2 seasons. In the spirit of Mark Twain, I say the death of Mt Airy has been greatly exaggerated.
Mount Airy is in the post just before yours @ # 5

That’s pretty sad to talk about a kid that way! I hope you are not a coach! However, I assume you are since you have access to film. Not knocking anyone??? I agree with pantherpit07.

Reactions: PantherPit07
9. Mount Airy

West Top Ten
Murphy
Mitchell
East Surry
Robbinsville
Swain
Mt Airy
Polk
Mtn Island Charter
TJ
North Rowan

Top Ten 1A:
1: Tarboro (They have to be #1 until someone proves different)
2: Mitchell (The QB and returning WR are going to be special to watch)
3: Robbinsville: (See my comments in earlier post)
4: East Surry
5: Swain County
6: Murphy
7: Pamlico
8: Mountain Island Charter
9: Thomas Jefferson
10: Polk County

7. Mt. Airy

5.MT.Airy

Mount Airy is in the post just before yours @ # 5

OK, so you had Mt Airy at #9.
MHS had them as the #6 team in the West.
KnightyKnight63 didn't have them ranked.
Thunderstruck at #7.
Dobbleganger at #5.

So...
I'm surprised to see Mount Airy anywhere from #5 to unranked.

Not knocking
That’s pretty sad to talk about a kid that way! I hope you are not a coach! However, I assume you are since you have access to film. Not knocking anyone??? I agree with pantherpit07.
Sorry if I sounded like I was knocking the kid..I should have reworded my sentence. Just meant that the kids career most definitely lies in basketball and not football

OK, so you had Mt Airy at #9.
MHS had them as the #6 team in the West.
KnightyKnight63 didn't have them ranked.
Thunderstruck at #7.
Dobbleganger at #5.

So...
Mount Airy should be in the top 10 somewhere IMO. They graduated several good players including twins Donavan Greene and brother Greg Greene. Greg Greene signed with N.C. Wesleyan College to play this fall and Donavan a nationally sought after D1 player was recruited by Tennessee, UNC, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Appalachian State, Duke, Wake Forest and maybe more.Those I had written down. He chose Duke first then signed with Wake Forrest several months later and went on after football season to start at Wake Forest with an early Graduation. Mount Airy on offense has their QB a junior Holden Poindexter who passed for 3135 yards (breaking several school records) last year his sophomore year returning and they have some other players like Johnathon Smith who had 27 TDs last year and Jackson Tumbarello a senior returns who put the ball in the end zone around 50% of the time on kickoffs. So they have the rushing but the need some wide receivers to step up to replace twins Donavan Greene and brother Greg Greene. The coach that had Mount Airy @ Tarboro in 2017 retired and I think last years new coach Jasson Adkins will have them ready and I am hearing good things about this year. Like Tarboro Mount Airy has a winning tradition that goes back many years. So with that said, is it football season yet ? Oh, and Oct.4th will tell us something as they play Reidsville and East Surry plays Reidsville the week before Sept 27th. Maybe someone that is more in the know can add to what I posted.

Last edited:
Why is the East not chiming in? I see Tarboro has around 22 or 23 Seniors graduating this year. Do they deserve a #1 ranking again this year out of a final roster of 49 players, almost half there possible 2019 team as it shows now? I think I will change my assumed preseason poll. They can make their own if they don't agree or anyone can make changes.

1. East Surry
    2. Murphy
    3. Tarboro
    4. ?
    5. Mitchell
    6. Robbinsville
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. Mount Airy
    10. ?
Tarboro at 3 is comical. The 2020 Senior class has never lost a high school football game. The last time this group has lost a football game was the first game of their 7th grade year.

Do I think Tarboro will be as strong as they’ve been the past two years? No

But I also believe they will be a lot stronger than what I’ve seen from Mt. Airy and East surry the past two years.

Not knocking

Sorry if I sounded like I was knocking the kid..I should have reworded my sentence. Just meant that the kids career most definitely lies in basketball and not football
it might seem like that but hes higher recruited in football at TE than he is in basketball which is odd, but give him a QB that can throw and see what numbers he puts up

Tarboro at 3 is comical. The 2020 Senior class has never lost a high school football game. The last time this group has lost a football game was the first game of their 7th grade year.
Not true. The Tarboro JVs lost to Rose last year 28-22. They looked great in the first half but appeared to run out of gas in the 2nd half. Still, for a 1A size school, if your only blemish in 5 years is a 6 point loss to a 3A team that absolutely steamrolled the rest of their schedule, I'd say you are pretty strong.

Not true. The Tarboro JVs lost to Rose last year 28-22. They looked great in the first half but appeared to run out of gas in the 2nd half. Still, for a 1A size school, if your only blemish in 5 years is a 6 point loss to a 3A team that absolutely steamrolled the rest of their schedule, I'd say you are pretty strong.
The seniors were juniors last year. They were on varsity. They weren’t on that JV team that lost.

This years Senior Class record by season:
2018- 15-0 as Juniors on Varsity
2017- 10-0 as Sophmores on JV
2016- 8-0 as Freshmen on JV

The seniors were juniors last year. They were on varsity. They weren’t on that JV team that lost.
OK...We are talking about different things. You are referring to the year they graduate. I was referring to the year they play their senior football season. I'm with you now. I agree.

This years Senior Class record by season:
2018- 15-0 as Juniors on Varsity
2017- 10-0 as Sophmores on JV
2016- 8-0 as Freshmen on JV
You are excluding this years team was lead by last years 22 seniors. Not saying they won't be good but could be vulnerable in some areas. They only played when they came in to replace the 22 seniors after they had worn down the opposing team.

You are excluding this years team was lead by last years 22 seniors. Not saying they won't be good but could be vulnerable in some areas. They only played when they came in to replace the 22 seniors after they had worn down the opposing team.
Losing 22 seniors does not hurt Tarboro nearly as bad as it does other 1A programs.

They’ll have 23 rising Juniors and the roster will have 45+ players on the opening week roster.

I’m not saying they will be as good as last year - I’m just arguing that they didn’t lose enough to justify putting them ranked behind two teams they’ve blown out the past two years.

Losing 22 seniors does not hurt Tarboro nearly as bad as it does other 1A programs.

They’ll have 23 rising Juniors and the roster will have 45+ players on the opening week roster.

I’m not saying they will be as good as last year - I’m just arguing that they didn’t lose enough to justify putting them ranked behind two teams they’ve blown out the past two years.
Did not blow Mount Airy out. Tarboro was only ahead by less than 2 TDs in the 4th Qtr. Like around 18 to 7 and Mount Airy's QB who played great defense hurt his ankle and Tarboro scored their most points in the last half of the 4th Qtr. Final score 32-7. Mount Airy's QB continued to play hurt. Now East Surry was a blowout. That was the closest game yall had in 2017 other than SouthWest Edgecombe who you beat by 28 points and beat Mount Airy by 25.. Look it up on MaxPrep !

Last edited:
Did not blow Mount Airy out. Tarboro was only ahead by less than 2 TDs in the 4th Qtr. Like around 18 to 7 and Mount Airy's QB who played great defense hurt his ankle and Tarboro scored their most points in the last half of the 4th Qtr. Final score 32-7. Mount Airy's QB continued to play hurt. Now East Surry was a blowout. That was the closest game yall had in 2017 other than SouthWest Edgecombe who you beat by 28 points and beat Mount Airy by 25.. Look it up on MaxPrep !
The fact is neither game was ever in doubt.

Reactions: TarVikes
The weather helped mount airy keep it closer vs tarboro than it would have been in ideal weather.
Now that is laughable, they both played under the same weather conditions and on TV it looked like a nice day for football. besides Tarboro should have been able to play under any weather conditions or should not have been on the field. Mount Airy had a great 2017 team more prepared to play Tarboro than the 2018 East Surry team. The weather had nothing to do with the game that would not have affected both teams.

Now that is laughable, they both played under the same weather conditions and on TV it looked like a nice day for football. besides Tarboro should have been able to play under any weather conditions or should not have been on the field. Mount Airy had a great 2017 team more prepared to play Tarboro than the 2018 East Surry team. The weather had nothing to do with the game that would not have affected both teams.

A nice day to play football? It rained the entire day and entire time the game was played. The rain/mud slowed those fast players Tarboro down which played into Mount Airy’s advantage. Do not be ignorant.

A nice day to play football? It rained the entire day and entire time the game was played. The rain/mud slowed those fast players Tarboro down which played into Mount Airy’s advantage. Do not be ignorant.
On TV it hardly looked like rain at all so it must have been light rain. Also, I am sure they get more rain on the east coast then we got in the mountains. No excuse any way you look at it Mount Airy played in the rain too. LOL . Talk like that puts Tarboro down, saying a little rain slowed them down. We had very little rain up here on Friday nights so if it rained then it was as equally as hard on Mount Airy, They both played on the same field and neither had an advantage from field conditions !

On TV it hardly looked like rain at all so it must have been light rain. Also, I am sure they get more rain on the east coast then we got in the mountains. No excuse any way you look at it Mount Airy played in the rain too. LOL . Talk like that puts Tarboro down, saying a little rain slowed them down. We had very little rain up here on Friday nights so if it rained then it was as equally as hard on Mount Airy, They both played on the same field and neither had an advantage from field conditions !
I was there. It was snowing, not raining. I agree with you TD. Weather may keep the scoring down some, but historically precipitation has a greater effect on offenses that throw the ball more than those that primarily run. That game was never really in doubt. Tarboro's defense gave up one big pass, but Mt Airy was well contained the entire game. I just remember Ian Holder may have been the best defensive player I have seen Tarboro play. He may have struggled at QB, but his play at DB was incredible. I remembered hoping every Tarboro play would be away from him, because whatever RB was his assignment didn't get more than 4-5 yards all night.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I was there. It was snowing, not raining. I agree with you TD. Weather may keep the scoring down some, but historically precipitation has a greater effect on offenses that throw the ball more than those that primarily run. That game was never really in doubt. Tarboro's defense gave up one big pass, but Mt Airy was well contained the entire game. I just remember Ian Holder may have been the best defensive player I have seen Tarboro play. He may have struggled at QB, but his play at DB was incredible. I remembered hoping every Tarboro play would be away from him, because whatever RB was his assignment didn't get more than 4-5 yards all night.
QB Ian Holder had 2017 yards passing the ball in 2017 and 1042 rushing the ball. He was great on offense & defense. Donavan Greene had 1138 receiving the ball so Mount Airy depending heavily on the pass then the weather hurt them . Not saying Tarboro would not have won the game just it was not a blow out as TarVikes said and could have been a little closer because as I remember Ian Holder QB hurt his ankle in the 4th Qtr. and Tarboro lead was up less than 2 TDs in the 4th Qtr. Mount Airy gave them a much better game in 2017 than East Surry did in 2018. Also, no one from Mount Airy never posted they would win like a certain East Surry poster that bragged all week how ES was going to walk all over Tarboro. He has not been heard from since that game and it was only him, all other ES posters were quiet and respectful like Mount Airy was in 2017. Now it seems he was back in basketball season bragging about the ES girls basketball team the same way. Anyway, good luck this year and hope we meet again soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT