ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lets Hear It ! !

QB Ian Holder had 2017 yards passing the ball in 2017 and 1042 rushing the ball. He was great on offense & defense. Donavan Greene had 1138 receiving the ball so Mount Airy depending heavily on the pass then the weather hurt them . Not saying Tarboro would not have won the game just it was not a blow out as TarVikes said and could have been a little closer because as I remember Ian Holder QB hurt his ankle in the 4th Qtr. and Tarboro lead was up less than 2 TDs in the 4th Qtr. Mount Airy gave them a much better game in 2017 than East Surry did in 2018. Also, no one from Mount Airy never posted they would win like a certain East Surry poster that bragged all week how ES was going to walk all over Tarboro. He has not been heard from since that game and it was only him, all other ES posters were quiet and respectful like Mount Airy was in 2017. Now it seems he was back in basketball season bragging about the ES girls basketball team the same way. Anyway, good luck this year and hope we meet again soon.
I remember him getting shaken up in the 4th quarter and my first thought was "here come the points" and thanks goodness I was right! I know that's bad, but he was really a one man wrecking crew on defense.

Last edited:
I hope everyone continues to underestimate our Swain County Maroon Devils this season.
Most people have Swain ranked in the preseason top 10, one even had them top 5. I would have them in the top 10 also. Not sure how that's underestimating them. What were you expecting?

Most people have Swain ranked in the preseason top 10, one even had them top 5. I would have them in the top 10 also. Not sure how that's underestimating them. What were you expecting?

What I have read on this post is we are picked 2nd or 3rd in conference. IMO we have a legit shot at 1st. Preseason ranking we should be in the top five or six at the lowest. Do I feel we are underestimated. Yes. But that’s how we like it. Something to prove this season. Don’t forget this is the same team that swept conference three seasons ago on JV. I would have put that JV team vs any in the state that year. They have gotten bigger and stronger and more experienced sense then. Don’t forget Murphy has to come to Swain this year as well.

Not trying to be rude, but JV ball means very little when it comes to HS in the SMC...been proven time and time again.

Reactions: KW23
Exactly. Something to prove for Swain this season. Also a factor will be if all the boys will decide to play this season. One or two holes makes a difference. Not to mention off season workouts in the weight room.

What I have read on this post is we are picked 2nd or 3rd in conference. IMO we have a legit shot at 1st. Preseason ranking we should be in the top five or six at the lowest.
I don't really see anything wrong with Swain being picked second or third in conference, it would be different if Murphy and Robbinsville were down but both should be top 10 teams as well.

I agree that Swain has a shot at a piece of first in conference. But for me that's more to do with Murphy being (practically) incapable of winning at Swain, than Swain having more talent.

You're right, one or two kids playing or not playing could make a big difference. As good as Murphy was last year they would have been that much better with Vining and Cruse. Murphy needs one or two of their rising junior skill players that didn't play last year (Isra Smith, Mikey Crowder, Degan Smith) to come back out to get the most out of this season.

Plus there is always the possibility of transfers, in or out. This week I learned that Murphy has a transfer coming this summer (one that I no longer thought was going to happen) and he will be a very good addition to the skill group. There may be one or two more transfers before it's all said and done.

We'll see what each team's roster looks like come August and adjust expectations accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MHS-88
I hope everyone continues to underestimate our Swain County Maroon Devils this season.
Didn't you say that exact same thing last year? Correct me if Im wrong. But I will gladly underestimate them again. Unless Swain has changed quarterbacks or unless Lossiah has done a complete 180, I suspect another 3rd place finish. The all world Swain JV team beat Robbinsville 26-24.

Swain needs a lot better line play to be on top. I don't know if they will be able to compete upfront with Murphy or Robbinsville.

Reactions: recycled2
JV ball in the SMC is really middle school ball. The outcome of a season is largely and mostly due to your 9th grade class. That upcoming senior class at Swain is very talented, but varsity ball success has the input of three classes. Murphy and Robbinsville, in my opinion, are more well-rounded through the three classes. The junior class for next season at Murphy is loaded. Senior class isn't as deep, but plenty of talent at the top.

What I have read on this post is we are picked 2nd or 3rd in conference. IMO we have a legit shot at 1st. Preseason ranking we should be in the top five or six at the lowest. Do I feel we are underestimated. Yes. But that’s how we like it. Something to prove this season. Don’t forget this is the same team that swept conference three seasons ago on JV. I would have put that JV team vs any in the state that year. They have gotten bigger and stronger and more experienced sense then. Don’t forget Murphy has to come to Swain this year as well.
I don't think the Knights or Murphy will be afraid of Swain this year. I think your "star" back had about 50 or 60 yards on about 40 carries combined against them last year. No fault of his really, he was running behind a big strong line that just stands straight up on the snap. He was getting hit by the time he was getting the ball. I don't see any reason to believe that this coming season will be any different.

Make updates as you learn more. As I said, just early guesses for fun.
My Update 4/17/19
1. East Surry (tie) MaxPrep shows the Gosnell Brothers returning...
1.Tarboro (tie)
3. Murphy
4. Mitchell
5. Mount Airy
6. Robbinsville
7. TJCA
8. Starmount
9. Pamlico
10. Holmes

Last edited:
1.Tarboro
2.E.Surry
3. Murphy
4. Mitchell
5. Mount Airy
6. Robbinsville
7. Swain
8. Starmount
9. Pamlico
10. Northampton

MICS......should be listed near the top due to overall talent but can they figure out the playoff drought. Overall most individual talent in 1a ball. If they ever figure out the physical side of the game, watch out..

Think TD is close, BUT, until someone/anyone figures out Tarboro they remain on top. I think they will finish on top again this season.

Agree with BK, Swain should be there somewhere.

Early prediction: couple of upsets along the way in the playoffs, ( I may change this due to, injuries, players not coming out, players coming out, transfers....ect)

1AA: Tarboro vs Starmount.

1A. Northampton vs. Murphy

As normal Champs.....Vikings and Dogs

Think in 1a, Mitchell and Robbinsville will both be on Murphys heels but can they overcome?

Go Mountaineers

Not to discredit their regional final appearance in any capacity (you can only play who is front of you) but Starmount got about as good of a draw as you could hope to get last year with Mt Airy and East Surry on the other side of the bracket, North Stanly going east and Murphy going small. The Rams do return a lot though.

As far their preseason ranking, anywhere from like 7th on the high end to 10th on the low end sounds about right.

As weak as the 1AA west was last year overall it looks to be even weaker this year barring Mitchell and/or Murphy going 1AA, both of which are unlikely to do so. I think Starmount will have a really good shot at getting back to the regional finals if East Surry isn't on their side of the bracket.

Last edited:
Starmount???
Starmount was the western runner up last year, losing to East Surry for the right to play Tarboro. They return 14 seniors this year from last years team. I can see them winning or coming in 2nd in their 1A/2A MVC this year and as mbdfan said Starmount will have a really good shot at getting back to the regional finals if East Surry isn't on their side of the bracket. The same goes for Mount Airy if what I am hearing is correct.

Starmount was playing good football at the end of last year. I doubt anyone other than East Surry would have beaten them in the west, regardless of the draw. (Sorry MA fans)

Starmount should probably be favored against the mount airy carport bears to start the season.

Starmount was playing good football at the end of last year. I doubt anyone other than East Surry would have beaten them in the west, regardless of the draw. (Sorry MA fans)

Starmount should probably be favored against the mount airy carport bears to start the season.
I kinda doubt it from what I am hearing and the talent Mount Airy has returning. Also, an undefeated JV team moving up. Can't tell till Fri Aug. 23. It will be a very good game to start the season but a slight advantage for the home team Mount Airy. (Sorry Starmount fans) ;)

The Greene brothers coming back? Without one of them y’all were horrible. Starmount JV won conference as well.

Btw, I wish this game would get moved to the 3rd or 4th game of the season.

MA didn’t play any of the teams Starmount’s jv lost to, did they?

Congrats on having the same results vs common opponents.

I hate to say it. What do JV records really mean in 1A? Tarboro JV's have a hard time just scheduling because there are so few 1A programs with enough kids to field a JV team. I want to think that Tarboro's outstanding record in JV means they will be successful at Varsity, but the truth is you just don't know until they get there. Some kids just aren't stars. Some kids have grade issues. In most cases, you really don't know what kind of team you have until you face adversity.

I hate to say it. What do JV records really mean in 1A? Tarboro JV's have a hard time just scheduling because there are so few 1A programs with enough kids to field a JV team. I want to think that Tarboro's outstanding record in JV means they will be successful at Varsity, but the truth is you just don't know until they get there. Some kids just aren't stars. Some kids have grade issues. In most cases, you really don't know what kind of team you have until you face adversity.
I would not put too much stock in JV records in 1A either. Since many 1A teams do not have JV teams - those that do are left playing schedules that may look very different. Probably varies greatly from conference to conference.

Those that have and invest time and resources in JV teams do have a bit of a competitive advantage in that they provide game competition for kids that otherwise would be standing around watching and playing very little. Not all talented skill players are ready to dominate as a 9th or even a 10th grader. They still get bigger and faster. Very few interior linemen are ready for the varsity as 9th graders. They will get taller, stronger and put on weight during the four years.

The experience players can gain playing 6 or 7 JV games before moving up to varsity helps build quality depth and sometimes provides a path for a player to breakout. You may not always have superstars coming up from JV - but you do have the numbers necessary to compete more in workouts and in practices - which at the 1A level is a definite competitive advantage.

Make updates as you learn more. As I said, just early guesses for fun and can be changed by anyone until the polls come out.
My New Update 4/29/19
1. Tarboro has around 20 seniors returning.
2. East Surry-Jefferson Boaz is now on the roster. East Surry has all of last years team returning.

3. Murphy
4. Mitchell
5. Robbinsville
6. Starmount
7. Mount Airy ? until roster goes up - No roster up for Mount Airy.
8. Swain with a ? as Maxprep only shows 6 or 7 seniors returning.

9. Pamlico
10. Holmes

Last edited:
Lets remember , theres not alot of info on maxpreps at this point. Most teams still have last years rosters posted, the gosnells are still in Carroll County. Till they are seen in the hallways of East Surry or on the field for summer workouts then you have to assume they will remain in Carroll County. As far as the Bears are concerned , the Backfield will be stacked , the line always reloads , qb will be more of mobile , will have a very talanted Sophmore to throw it to, speed wont be a problem. I imagine you will see changes in the offense since they have multiple running backs there are capable. Smith will still be the workhorse but will not be like years past as he will have VERY capable help back there. Wont be no replacing the green brothers but i do expect Josh Penn to step in and in time be a Special Player for the Bears. Extremely Dominate on the JV side of the ball last year. Bears arent hurting as bad as some would hope. I expect them to have a very good 2019 campaign

Lets remember , theres not alot of info on maxpreps at this point. Most teams still have last years rosters posted, the gosnells are still in Carroll County. Till they are seen in the hallways of East Surry or on the field for summer workouts then you have to assume they will remain in Carroll County. As far as the Bears are concerned , the Backfield will be stacked , the line always reloads , qb will be more of mobile , will have a very talanted Sophmore to throw it to, speed wont be a problem. I imagine you will see changes in the offense since they have multiple running backs there are capable. Smith will still be the workhorse but will not be like years past as he will have VERY capable help back there. Wont be no replacing the green brothers but i do expect Josh Penn to step in and in time be a Special Player for the Bears. Extremely Dominate on the JV side of the ball last year. Bears aren't hurting as bad as some would hope. I expect them to have a very good 2019 campaign
Good post gdawg74. These polls are just for fun and some of mine are based on lasts years JVs that are moving up to seniors this year. Post your guesstimation of this year's poll. Like I said it is just something to predict for fun and have something to talk about. No one is held to what they post . More people can give us their thought on their team this year or teams in their conference that they know about similar to what gdawg74 did.

Make updates as you learn more. As I said, just early guesses for fun and can be changed by anyone until the polls come out.
My New Update 4/29/19
1. Tarboro has around 20 seniors returning.
2. East Surry-Jefferson Boaz is now on the roster. East Surry has all of last years team returning.

3. Murphy
4. Mitchell
5. Robbinsville
6. Starmount
7. Mount Airy ? until roster goes up - No roster up for Mount Airy.
8. Swain with a ? as Maxprep only shows 6 or 7 seniors returning.

9. Pamlico
10. Holmes

Swain has anywhere between 14-16 seniors returning. Heard a senior that did not play last year will be 100% be back. He is a starter and will have a huge impact on the defensive side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT