ADVERTISEMENT

Teams to watch in 3a.

It absolutely was not. It wasn't a top 20 team in SP history. The 2015 and 2016 kids were gone.
Name 20 12 and 0 number 1 ranked South Point teams.The 2016 team lost 4 games including getting shutout by Shelby.

Name 20 12 and 0 number 1 ranked South Point teams.The 2016 team lost 4 games including getting shutout by Shelby.
What does that have to do with anything when you consider that every year's competition ain't the same, hype exists every year and certain teams have it more than others, sometimes teams ride the coattails of previous and different teams' success, etc. etc.
Just because you may consider that edition one of Shelby's best teams does not mean it was anywhere close to one of SP's best.
Our typical very tough non conf. schedule happened to be down that year....and the rest of the year was a normal 2a schedule with which an above avg. SP team rolled through. Of course Shelby had a very good team and we split with them.
But....non conf - Crest was 8-5. Lincolnton was 6-7. FV was 4-8. Clover was 3-7. Ashbrook was 4-8. I don't think any of these teams' backers would argue those teams were world beaters. Stuart Cramer was St. Cramer although I think it may have been their best team ever still it was basically playing against Mary Poppins with cleats on.

What does that have to do with anything when you consider that every year's competition ain't the same, hype exists every year and certain teams have it more than others, sometimes teams ride the coattails of previous and different teams' success, etc. etc.
Just because you may consider that edition one of Shelby's best teams does not mean it was anywhere close to one of SP's best.
Our typical very tough non conf. schedule happened to be down that year....and the rest of the year was a normal 2a schedule with which an above avg. SP team rolled through. Of course Shelby had a very good team and we split with them.
But....non conf - Crest was 8-5. Lincolnton was 6-7. FV was 4-8. Clover was 3-7. Ashbrook was 4-8. I don't think any of these teams' backers would argue those teams were world beaters. Stuart Cramer was St. Cramer although I think it may have been their best team ever still it was basically playing against Mary Poppins with cleats on.
That's a pretty strong argument. From 10,000 foot view an undefeated regular season team should be an all-timer, unless it was a product of the schedule.

Despite my trash talk to irritate a couple of their fans, South Point should be very good this upcoming season. If the Red Raiders can get to the playoffs with Blee and Ford relatively healthy they will be a serious problem for anyone who has limited practice days to get ready for that offense. (1) I believe a healthy SP would have beaten Statesville in playoffs last season and (2) SP may want to do everything they can to manage Blee and Ford’s carries through the regular season to keep them healthy. Those kids are strong physical runners who also took a pounding last season.

Despite my trash talk to irritate a couple of their fans, South Point should be very good this upcoming season. If the Red Raiders can get to the playoffs with Blee and Ford relatively healthy they will be a serious problem for anyone who has limited practice days to get ready for that offense. (1) I believe a healthy SP would have beaten Statesville in playoffs last season and (2) SP may want to do everything they can to manage Blee and Ford’s carries through the regular season to keep them healthy. Those kids are strong physical runners who also took a pounding last season.
They are welcome to rest in our non conference game lol

I believe South Point has a good future ahead. They should better this season. And even better next year.
I agree. I think they are about to have a nice little run the next two-three years. I also expect them to have an upswing in talent transferring into their district the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Not to argue but Shelby has played in 11 State Championship games in the last 20 years winning 9 of them.In the other 9 years I believe Shelby played in 5 Western Championships. Not bad.
Shelby couldn't compete outside of 2A. Dudley could compete in any classification and dominate. Shelby is great program but the comp level at 2A is like women's basketball.

Shelby couldn't compete outside of 2A. Dudley could compete in any classification and dominate. Shelby is great program but the comp level at 2A is like women's basketball.
You said Dudley was easily the top program of any CLASS. I begged to differ.

My top 10 3A teams are
(1) Hickory
(2) Dudley
(3) 71st
(4) West Charlotte
(5) Havelock
(6) South Point
(7) Crest
(8) Scotland
(9) AC Reynolds
10) there are about 5-7 teams that could occupy this spot

I agree. I think they are about to have a nice little run the next two years. I also expect them to have an upswing in talent transferring into their district the next couple of years.
When and how are they gonna start coming around? You have to about be a d#mn millionaire to live within the city limits unfortunately. That eliminates a lot of tough kids that we used to have an abundance of hanging around. SP doesn't get transfers from other places for BS reasons either. I think we are either the only one, or one of two in GACO that does not have some specialty program that a kid can claim he wants to be involved in just to transfer. We have a lot of stuff stacked against us in Belmont. We had one surprising and really good transfer come to the program- the little 150 pound FB from 2 years ago. That's about it as far as good football players just randomly showing up out of nowhere.

When and how are they gonna start coming around? You have to about be a d#mn millionaire to live within the city limits unfortunately. That eliminates a lot of tough kids that we used to have an abundance of hanging around. SP doesn't get transfers from other places for BS reasons either. I think we are either the only one, or one of two in GACO that does not have some specialty program that a kid can claim he wants to be involved in just to transfer. We have a lot of stuff stacked against us in Belmont. We had one surprising and really good transfer come to the program- the little 150 pound FB from 2 years ago. That's about it as far as good football players just randomly showing up out of nowhere.
It is getting pricey around Belmont for sure but parents will still relocate for their children to be where they feel like they need to be. The are still apartments and other rental properties in Belmont. SP will benefit from the addition of one of their newest coaches. He is a great guy, SP alum, with extensive connections in the region through his travel ball organization which is considered one of the best in the southeast. You guys hit a goldmine but the regular SP fans don’t know it yet because your fans aren’t as familiar with the area talent landscape outside of Belmont. I fully expect SP to go up to another level talent wise next year.

No argument about '16. I think those 2 teams were similar ('16 and '17) and I see them in similar lights even though one won a state champ. As everyone knows - It ain't always the best team that wins a state championship. An extremely tough non conf. schedule in 16 balanced out with a nice, fairly easy road during the playoffs.
To answer your request: 1970 through 74, 79, 84, 92-93, 99-00, 02-04, 07-13, 15, 21-22. There's 25 for you. I could make an argument for a couple more too that are left off.
Your record is only as relevant as your competition. SP has played where they should have played the entire program's history. Shelby has 7k more people in (just) Shelby than Belmont but we have two 3A HSs in the town. Yall cheat the system with 22k and one 2a program. Slow Golf clap. I know BS takes some kids...but they have 11k population and get some from the outskirts. So yall have 33k people with a 2a and a 3a HS.
If SP played in Charlotte's top 4a league the last 50 years, the overall record wouldn't look nearly as good. However, if we played in the leagues Shelby has played in the last 25 years we could tack on an extra 3-4 wins per year over that same term on average.

No argument about '16. I think those 2 teams were similar ('16 and '17) and I see them in similar lights even though one won a state champ. As everyone knows - It ain't always the best team that wins a state championship. An extremely tough non conf. schedule in 16 balanced out with a nice, fairly easy road during the playoffs.
To answer your request: 1970 through 74, 79, 84, 92-93, 99-00, 02-04, 07-13, 15, 21-22. There's 25 for you. I could make an argument for a couple more too that are left off.
Your record is only as relevant as your competition. SP has played where they should have played the entire program's history. Shelby has 7k more people in (just) Shelby than Belmont but we have two 3A HSs in the town. Yall cheat the system with 22k and one 2a program. Slow Golf clap. I know BS takes some kids...but they have 11k population and get some from the outskirts. So yall have 33k people with a 2a and a 3a HS.
If SP played in Charlotte's top 4a league the last 50 years, the overall record wouldn't look nearly as good. However, if we played in the leagues Shelby has played in the last 25 years we could tack on an extra 3-4 wins per year over that same term on average.
You have to add in Crest, Burns, and Pinnacle and the EC and to a lesser extent, Thomas Jefferson. If all Shelby athletes actually went to Shelby, there numbers in sports championship wouldn't be close to any other school. Literally neighbors in walking distance didn't even go to the school. Shelby also has an older population when you look at total population.

Reactions: shutdownD24
And let's not go turning the Big South into some juggernaut of a conference. Best two teams in the league along with South Point are Crest and KM, with both playing Shelby every year.

Admittedly the conference Shelby currently resides in is an abomination.

And let's not go turning the Big South into some juggernaut of a conference. Best two teams in the league along with South Point are Crest and KM, with both playing Shelby every year.

Admittedly the conference Shelby currently resides in is an abomination.
Well....with SP, Crest, KM as your top three....it ain't too bad. That is 3 out of 8 teams that are capable of making a run as deep as you can go in the playoffs. Not many conferences out there like that. I can only imagine being these other teams at the beginning of the season and thinking "well - there's 3 automatic losses".
It's definitely stronger than the old Big South (Gaston County) conference we played in for 10-12 years. The old SWC 3a was a buzzsaw every year.

Well....with SP, Crest, KM as your top three....it ain't too bad. That is 3 out of 8 teams that are capable of making a run as deep as you can go in the playoffs. Not many conferences out there like that. I can only imagine being these other teams at the beginning of the season and thinking "well - there's 3 automatic losses".
It's definitely stronger than the old Big South (Gaston County) conference we played in for 10-12 years. The old SWC 3a was a buzzsaw every year.
Also with teams like Huss and Ashbrook in the middle of the Big South, the Big South teams below the big three would be a handful for over 90% of 2A most years.

Also with teams like Huss and Ashbrook in the middle of the Big South, the Big South teams below the big three would be a handful for over 90% of 2A most years.
Lol. Your conference was overall horrible last year. None of those middle teams would win anything in 2a.

Reactions: Champ_24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT