ADVERTISEMENT

Teams to watch in 3a.

I believe Dudley was mostly juniors last year so I look for them to contend even more this year!
I was able to watch two of their games (via TV and video). I saw lots of talent and speed but not a lot of discipline. Regular season they run over people but in the playoffs, well lot of teams have talent and speed.
Discipline wins close games.

Hickory, Dudley, Crest, AC Reynold, Kings Mountain, South Point. What will West Henderson bring back from last season?

Hickory, Dudley, Crest, AC Reynold, Kings Mountain, South Point. What will West Henderson bring back from last season?
West still has some good athletes coming through this year. Their primary QB was young ( soph). The group last year was exceptional. I expect them to fall off, not off a cliff, but less than they’ve been the past two years.

Truitt Manuel is a special athlete/leader that Mills River won’t duplicate often and there are some other strong seniors leaving with him, Dimsdale (RB) being one of them.

IMO, West competes to win conference this year rather than being the hands down favorite to win it like last year and a 4th round playoff run isn’t likely.

West still has some good athletes coming through this year. Their primary QB was young ( soph). The group last year was exceptional. I expect them to fall off, not off a cliff, but less than they’ve been the past two years.

Truitt Manuel is a special athlete/leader that Mills River won’t duplicate often and there are some other strong seniors leaving with him, Dimsdale (RB) being one of them.

IMO, West competes to win conference this year rather than being the hands down favorite to win it like last year and a 4th round playoff run isn’t likely.
Spot on, West will still be good as they had 4 sophomores starting on Varsity and their JV group was pretty darn good. Also, Truitt is the type of athlete that 99% of communities won't duplicate often, not just West. I can count on one hand the athletes I remember in NC dominating 3 sports the way he has. He's just a different breed.

I was able to watch two of their games (via TV and video). I saw lots of talent and speed but not a lot of discipline. Regular season they run over people but in the playoffs, well lot of teams have talent and speed.

I didnt watch much of Dudley this year aside from 1 game, but they always seemed disciplined to me, unless this is a new development this past season.

Spot on, West will still be good as they had 4 sophomores starting on Varsity and their JV group was pretty darn good. Also, Truitt is the type of athlete that 99% of communities won't duplicate often, not just West. I can count on one hand the athletes I remember in NC dominating 3 sports the way he has. He's just a different breed.
Yes, I didn't mean that as a shot at West. Everyone feels it when an athlete of that caliber leaves.

Bad take all around..

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Havelock more so now that they just added their missing piece, transfer QB from West Carteret. Threw for over 3,200 yards and 35 TD’s this past year.
This acquisition should put them in the Eastern Finals IMO if they have a bunch coming back from last season. They have one of the best coaching staffs in the state, if not the best in terms of experience. I expect it to come down to them vs. Dudley in Havelock. I say all this because if the kid had that many yards at WC, he will be even better at Havelock. Better athletes, football program overall will help him tremendously. Not to knock WC at all, they do great things with lesser athletes than most teams.

I'm sure not all of them will end up as top teams and we'll have a few surprises.
A few of them aren’t top teams to begin with and there won’t be any surprises. You will be able to tell which teams are legit early on. Hickory this past year was no surprise for some of us. They played East Lincoln tough the year before and returned a ton. They were also balanced offensively all year. It’s a 3-4 team race as of right now but we will have to wait and see how the portal shakes out.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
A few of them aren’t top teams to begin with and there won’t be any surprises. You will be able to tell which teams are legit early on. Hickory this past year was no surprise for some of us. They played East Lincoln tough the year before and returned a ton. They were also balanced offensively all year. It’s a 3-4 team race as of right now but we will have to wait and see how the portal shakes out.
Hickory was a dark horse last year they were mentioned as a top 10 team but no one was picking them to win the ship.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Hickory was a dark horse last year they were mentioned as a top 10 team but no one was picking them to win the ship.
I never ruled them out as a team that couldn’t win the title. I figured it would be Dudley and Hickory to meet in the west finals once I saw the brackets and it would be a good game. There were a few other football platforms that had Hickory as one of the teams to win it.

Last edited:
I never ruled them out as a team that couldn’t win the title. I figured it would be Dudley and Hickory to meet in the west finals once I saw the brackets and it would be a good game. There were a few other football platforms that had Hickory as one of the teams to win it.
No platform can measure heart, desire and leadership. That's what put Hickory at the top. They have a lot coming back, but like all teams there are slots that need to be filled from within to make another run. Coaching is also top shelf for the Red Tornadoes.

No platform can measure heart, desire and leadership. That's what put Hickory at the top. They have a lot coming back, but like all teams there are slots that need to be filled from within to make another run. Coaching is also top shelf for the Red Tornadoes.
Glass has done a great job there

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I believe Statesville big QB will graduate. I don‘t know who they will have for the spot for next season.

Don’t go sleeping on North Lincoln. I don’t see them winning it all, taking conference(which Hickory is in it) or even a 4th round appearance but bear in mind they gave Hickory a nice game for 2 quarters in the playoffs before slipping away rest of the game. They return 8 to 9 starters on both sides of ball with what will be one of the best RB duos in the western region both of which were only 9th grade and 10th. Top team in conf in rushing. Don’t expect much AFTER 2024 and any run they may make will have to be this fall. Will be Losing a lot next spring with a JV team that only won a couple games this past season to fill shoes

Not trying to rag on Statesville, but when they barely got by South Point in the first round, I was pretty sure they wernt going far.
South Point played that game without their starting fullback who also played a lot at linebacker, especially on big downs. SP’s qb also came into that game with bad wheels. SP wouldn’t have gotten by Crest in the second round without being full strength and even then it would have been a tough task.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT