ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lets Hear It ! !

I do expect Kaulin Smith to have the kind of year for the Bears that we had hoped for last year. Bears had weapons all over the field and he didnt get the chance to touch the ball as much as some had hoped for. I expect him to have a big year for the bears in the slot. The Greene brothers are gone , Their leadership will deff be missed , the key component for the bears will be who steps up to lead. For me aside for the injuries that led to the East Surry debacle in the post season was the in ability for a leader to step up. Donovan wasnt there to lean on when things went wrong. This will be the biggest question mark for the bears , the talent wont be a question , its there

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I do expect Kaulin Smith to have the kind of year for the Bears that we had hoped for last year. Bears had weapons all over the field and he didnt get the chance to touch the ball as much as some had hoped for. I expect him to have a big year for the bears in the slot. The Greene brothers are gone , Their leadership will deff be missed , the key component for the bears will be who steps up to lead. For me aside for the injuries that led to the East Surry debacle in the post season was the in ability for a leader to step up. Donovan wasnt there to lean on when things went wrong. This will be the biggest question mark for the bears , the talent wont be a question , its there

Last years So QB Holden Poindexter pasted for 3125 yards. Has he got the receivers to come close to that this year after losing the D1 Donavon Greene and his brother Greg Greene ? I am hearing good things for the Bears so far. could they all be true ? Where in the top 10 would you put Mount Airy or will they be a baker's dozen team to start the season ?

Last edited:
Spring Football starts1 week from today for Mount Airy High School . When does it start other conference and non-conference schools ?

Last edited:
I’m hearing the Vikings of Tarboro are expected to be very good again this year. Maybe even less of a drop off versus what people thought.

Reactions: gdawg74
Wake up Surry, Yadkin & Wilkes Counties, SMC is talking football and the foothills is dead. Spring practice is gong and no one talking down hear ! Guess I might as well stop too. First football game 93 days away and what is going on at your school ? Is your team going to be a good average or top 20 ? Want to talk football or have no interest yet. Let's liven these boards and talk ! ! ! Or I can give up to ! ..... LOL :confused::confused::confused:

I agree! Swain returns four out of five all conference players and three out of five honorable mention all conference players.
Chase Hughes - All Conference
Jake Langston- All Conference
Bryce Sain - All Conference
Ian Brooks - All Conference
Nick Millsaps- HM All Conference
Damian Lossiah - HM All Conference
Charlie Lambert - HM All Conference

Hearing great things about this 2019 Swain Team. Kids working hard on and off the field and in the weight room. Far ahead of where they were last season. Last year this was a young team and this year we will be senior heavy. Looking forward to see what this team can do.

Is tarboro going to be 1A or 1AA next season?
There's no way to know that until you have determined which teams have qualified for the playoffs and what the ADMs for the coming year are. We will not know either of those things until late in the season. Based on last year's ADMs, Its probably a forgone conclusion that Tarboro is 1AA. If that ADM figure drops significantly, it could be a different story. We won't know until kids show up to school in August.

My opinion also. Last years ADM was 557 and they will have to lose around 45 to 50 students to be 1A. If that happens something stinks. Tarboro has no business being in the small 1A ! !
If it happened, I would hope no one goes all in that we are hiding kids so we can play down.

If it happened, I would hope no one goes all in that we are hiding kids so we can play down.
No dought in my mind Tarboro will be 1AA. Mount Airy has been boarder line small 1A for 10 or 11 years and there ADMs are always like 5 to 15 over being small 1A. So I just can't see Tarboro dropping to small 1A and if they did they should be ashamed to play small 1A with there 2019 roster of 50 players and that is 23 seniors, 24 juniors and only 3 sophomores. Most all schools that I know of only have rosters of the mid to high 20s to mid-30s. How does Tarboro have so many and are they within the district ? Now wonder they can wear out most other teams. NCHSAA should work their magic and make sure Tarboro is in 1AA.

No dought in my mind Tarboro will be 1AA. Mount Airy has been boarder line small 1A for 10 or 11 years and there ADMs are always like 5 to 15 over being small 1A. So I just can't see Tarboro dropping to small 1A and if they did they should be ashamed to play small 1A with there 2019 roster of 50 players and that is 23 seniors, 24 juniors and only 3 sophomores. Most all schools that I know of only have rosters of the mid to high 20s to mid-30s. How does Tarboro have so many and are they within the district ? Now wonder they can wear out most other teams. NCHSAA should work their magic and make sure Tarboro is in 1AA.
Consistently winning creates huge interest among the student body. When Thomasville was winning regularly in 1AA, they had similar numbers. I suspect Albemarle did too. Kids want to be part of a winning tradition, and winning breeds winning.

How does Tarboro have so many and are they within the district ?

Because the school system has no districts, a student can enroll at THS so long as they live in Edgecombe County. That is significant because Edgecombe County even includes the eastern half of Rocky Mount.
NCHSAA should work their magic and make sure Tarboro is in 1AA.

The biggest reason Tarboro is 1A and not 2A is because of a charter school about a mile down the road from THS. If your student isn't interested in football, the charter school is an additional option available to you. If you want to play football in Tarboro though, you know which school you need to attend. There were about 550 students at Tarboro High last year and nearly 100 of them played football either at the JV or Varsity level. You won't find many schools where roughly 40% of the boys enrolled are playing football.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatDad312
Wow. So Tarboro is basically a Charter?
If Tarboro can get out of district kids then thise Championships are tainted.
Im not a Tarboro basher but that changes everything.

I wouldn't say it's basically a Charter. Since I started working here in Raleigh I've talked high school football with one of my colleagues who handles local education funding in my office and he was explaining how Tarboro's situation works because I had no clue. They are simply in a situation that benefits them, not recruiting lol. Blame the Board of Ed.

I view them as a version of Murphy. Both of them benefit from having another school in the county that siphons off students for a variety of academic reasons. Thus allowing them to keep their numbers low. I am sure this happens in many places, it is just more noticeable at Tarboro and Murphy due to their success on the football field.

So any kid in Cherokee County can attend Murphy in 2,015 without a move or without sitting out?

Tarboro district is the entire county and overlaps all other school districts in the county.
Murphy's school district isnt even close to the entire county and only overlaps the early college.

Even if Murphy's district was all of Cherokee County (which it's not) it still wouldn't be close to apples to apples if it's true that Edgecombe County is open enrollment.

Edgecombe County has 52,000 people to Cherokee County's 28,000, that's nearly double the pool. And I'm sure Edgecombe County has an even bigger disparity than that in younger population (school age kids). A sizeable chunk of Cherokee County's population are part timers/retirees.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
For reference you would need to combine the populations of Cherokee, Graham and Swain County (approx 50,000 people) to equal the population of Edgecombe County. That's Murphy, Andrews, Hiwassee Dam, Robbinsville, Swain County and Cherokee high schools, so basically an SMC All Star team.

Some people rag on Murphy because of the early college but if you add every kid that goes to the early college from Murphy's district they would still only be 1AA. Tarboro is playing in 1AA with a drawing area the size of a small 4AA school if it is in fact true that Edgecombe County is open enrollment. If it is true they should dominate this level, it would be beyond embarssing If they didn't.

It is what it is, Im not going to cry about it even if Murphy ends up 1AA again and has to play Tarboro. But people might want to keep all that mind the next time they disparage Murphy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Because the school system has no districts, a student can enroll at THS so long as they live in Edgecombe County. That is significant because Edgecombe County even includes the eastern half of Rocky Mount.

The biggest reason Tarboro is 1A and not 2A is because of a charter school about a mile down the road from THS. If your student isn't interested in football, the charter school is an additional option available to you. If you want to play football in Tarboro though, you know which school you need to attend. There were about 550 students at Tarboro High last year and nearly 100 of them played football either at the JV or Varsity level. You won't find many schools where roughly 40% of the boys enrolled are playing football.
That’s not fair at all, Tarboro should be playing up at least 1 classification

Tarboro district is the entire county and overlaps all other school districts in the county.
Murphy's school district isnt even close to the entire county and only overlaps the early college.

In terms of football Murphy can draw from the entire county except from Andrews. Since the Dam doesn’t have football players can attend Murphy.

Not trying to bash Murphy. I just see where both they and Tarboro both benefit from having a local school that reduces their ADMs. Is that not accurate? As I stated before other schools have the same benefit, they are just not as visible as Murphy or Tarboro.

I think the difference is more that Edgecombe doesn't have an Andrews. And is much bigger. But overall, I think there are plenty of schools throughout the state that have non-FB schools nearby, to where their talent base isn't necessarily reflected by their numbers. I don't know that it is even a reason to knock a school at this point because it is so common. Franklin has about the same situation as Murphy, with an EC in town and other schools nearby that don't play football, but people don't jump up and down for them to go back to 3A. I think this really just highlights how outdated it is to classify on enrollment alone in the "school choice" era.

I think the difference is more that Edgecombe doesn't have an Andrews. And is much bigger. But overall, I think there are plenty of schools throughout the state that have non-FB schools nearby, to where their talent base isn't necessarily reflected by their numbers. I don't know that it is even a reason to knock a school at this point because it is so common. Franklin has about the same situation as Murphy, with an EC in town and other schools nearby that don't play football, but people don't jump up and down for them to go back to 3A. I think this really just highlights how outdated it is to classify on enrollment alone in the "school choice" era.
Best post of the day ...

In terms of football Murphy can draw from the entire county except from Andrews. Since the Dam doesn’t have football players can attend Murphy.

Not trying to bash Murphy. I just see where both they and Tarboro both benefit from having a local school that reduces their ADMs. Is that not accurate? As I stated before other schools have the same benefit, they are just not as visible as Murphy or Tarboro.

HD players can only attend Murphy if they move inside the Murphy district or they transfer to Murphy before ninth grade.

State lets counties set their own rules for in-county transfers. If Edgecombe County wants to, they can allow free movement within their county. Henderson County is the exact opposite, they are super strict about in-county transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT