ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek vs Gaffney

Not sure if Gaffney is the #2 team in SC. Teams like Byrnes, Dorman, even Hanna... have to see. Wish DF could have played uninterrupted against MC. That starting and stopping kills the pace of Knotts' coached team, especially when the opposing team has key athletes playing both ways. Hanna last season was a perfect example. Star athletes going both ways were gassed by the 4th and DF put the hammer down. I suspect MC either wins state or goes very very deep in the playoffs. Good luck Mavericks. Gaffney is a good team. Well done.
Who played both ways against DF? Trenton Simpson, the star linebacker, only took snaps at RB that game with the starting RB out.

The starting and stopping kills Knotts' offense momentum. He builds his attack on pace. Playing what amounted to short scrimmages with long delays hurts the rhythm. Olenchuk is a pace QB...not sure if MC will face a better one. That being said, this edition of DF is not the same as the 2018 version. Even Knotts admitted that team was his best...which speaks volumes considering the juggernaut he had at Independence. I suspect MC beats Vance, but it should be a fun game to watch. Ought to be on regional ESPN.

I usually travel to see the game I think will be the best west of Charlotte and finally got to see Mallard Creek. Great atmosphere and great hitting. Both team were very physical. The MC center and right guard combo blocks were done to perfection. #22 on defense was def a leader that set the tone. Gaffney has Byrnes in a couple of weeks and I say Byrnes win that by 3 or 4 tds. May try to check the MC and Vance game out if I don't do the Shelby/ KM game. Glad to see there didn't seem to be any major injuries.

• Not sure if Gaffney is the #2 team in SC. Teams like Byrnes, Dorman, even Hanna... have to see. Wish DF could have played uninterrupted against MC. That starting and stopping kills the pace of Knotts' coached team, especially when the opposing team has key athletes playing both ways. Hanna last season was a perfect example. Star athletes going both ways were gassed by the 4th and DF put the hammer down. I suspect MC either wins state or goes very very deep in the playoffs. Good luck Mavericks. Gaffney is a good team. Well done.
Not a single player went both ways for MC that night and they rotated a ton of kids. 12 in the front seven. The delays may have hurt TKs offense but it was a gift for his undersized defense. They were in trouble late and anybody could see it.

Now, Olenchuk and Hyatt with the ball late in the game?? Would never count those two out but...I believe they would have needed to score to tie because Creek was gonna punch that in.

Reactions: nepsy7
The starting and stopping kills Knotts' offense momentum. He builds his attack on pace. Playing what amounted to short scrimmages with long delays hurts the rhythm. Olenchuk is a pace QB...not sure if MC will face a better one. That being said, this edition of DF is not the same as the 2018 version. Even Knotts admitted that team was his best...which speaks volumes considering the juggernaut he had at Independence. I suspect MC beats Vance, but it should be a fun game to watch. Ought to be on regional ESPN.
U would think the success we've had the last 5 yrs that we would get a ESPN look but were not the sexy pick. They rather see Creek, MP, Providence Day, Christian but it doesnt matter. Yeah the creek game is usually a wake up call win or lose for us 2 get ready for the late season run. Our kids will b hyped for it so yes it should b a good 1. I wish we could play at UNCC again it was a great atmosphere last yr.

As I said last night. Just an awesome atmosphere. Twice now they have played very good competition on the road in tough environments and came from behind to tie and win. Coaching staff is dynamite at making 2nd half adjustments. Their scoring differential in 3rd quarters has got to be about +120 this year. Gaffney not the most impressive team physically but they had athletes, were super charged in that environment and I thought their DC called a great game especially in the first half.

Creek not without mistakes ( special teams cost them 14 pts) but the defense play very well and Noller continues to WOW. Through the ball 35 times I think and maybe had 3 or 4 throws that were not perfect. Great pocket awareness and makes money throws on the run. I have heard all about Hood and Maye but if there is a better kid playing QB right now in this state I would love to see it. Hellams has full confidence in the kid because I cant tell you in 10 years of watching MC football seeing them in a tight game never run the ball in the red zone. Kid was throwing bullets.

These are the kind of games that prepare you for the playoffs and I still think the toughest test is coming in two weeks.
I haven’t seen a better QB.

Not a single player went both ways for MC that night and they rotated a ton of kids. 12 in the front seven. The delays may have hurt TKs offense but it was a gift for his undersized defense. They were in trouble late and anybody could see it.

Now, Olenchuk and Hyatt with the ball late in the game?? Would never count those two out but...I believe they would have needed to score to tie because Creek was gonna punch that in.
You are missing the point. If it had been uninterrupted...it would not have been tied. Knotts would have kept the foot on the gas. Arrogance and overconfidence is the biggest enemy for DF. All the best to MC. I believe they have all they need to win state.

U would think the success we've had the last 5 yrs that we would get a ESPN look but were not the sexy pick. They rather see Creek, MP, Providence Day, Christian but it doesnt matter. Yeah the creek game is usually a wake up call win or lose for us 2 get ready for the late season run. Our kids will b hyped for it so yes it should b a good 1. I wish we could play at UNCC again it was a great atmosphere last yr.

It may not have the history of Shelby- Crest or Scotland- Richmond but a promise you there will not be a harder hitting game with better athletes than this game next Friday night.

Good win for Creek. That should not have been a one score game. Creek continues with the penalty parade in the first half. Holding and personal fouls hurt. Went from having a TD on a great pass and catch (!!) to getting stopped on fourth and one.

Three personal fouls. Needs to stop. I understand on interception return that is an agressive penalty but they are going to call that every time and good way to hurt the opponent or yourself bad.

Creek missed their kicker bad. Injury, will be back. His ability to put the ball in the end zone or get a deep high kick is a game changed especially against this opponent. Punting game and coverage must be a priority. I think Creek should go for it on fourth downs. Not sure why they opted to do the QB punt out of the shotgun on third down when he is lighting up the D in the air? It was third and 23 (?) but with Noller I am going for it on third and may be on fourth depending on the third down yardage. First down marker was about the 21. Note back, on a punt you cannot take a step(s) back.

OL had issues with the speed of the smaller defenders especially the LBers shooting and stunting at angles.

Simpson the best player on the field. His combo of size, speed, agressiveness, and good football iq put him on another level. The two running backs are very good and a nice mix but I think Simpson's ability to deliver blows wears teams down more. Just have to pick the spots.

Noller the MVP and player they can least afford to lose. With 2016-2018 QBs they have two L's. People can say no but that is my take. The QB we watched last night would have led MC to state titles last season and may be in 2017. Difference maker! Patient and smart. Checks down before he takes off only running when it is his last option. Can thread the needle. Thought he could have taken a little heat off the ball a few times.

Couple of dropped passes, some really nice catches, and two that would have been highlights with the catch.

MC did not play their best in my opinion and they won in a hostile atmosphere against a very good team. State title or bust.

You are missing the point. If it had been uninterrupted...it would not have been tied. Knotts would have kept the foot on the gas. Arrogance and overconfidence is the biggest enemy for DF. All the best to MC. I believe they have all they need to win state.

MC had just stopped them the series before. What gas? DF was getting worn down by the minute. The Creek plays Vance in 2 weeks. That game is History.

As I said last night. Just an awesome atmosphere. Twice now they have played very good competition on the road in tough environments and came from behind to tie and win. Coaching staff is dynamite at making 2nd half adjustments. Their scoring differential in 3rd quarters has got to be about +120 this year. Gaffney not the most impressive team physically but they had athletes, were super charged in that environment and I thought their DC called a great game especially in the first half.

Creek not without mistakes ( special teams cost them 14 pts) but the defense play very well and Noller continues to WOW. Through the ball 35 times I think and maybe had 3 or 4 throws that were not perfect. Great pocket awareness and makes money throws on the run. I have heard all about Hood and Maye but if there is a better kid playing QB right now in this state I would love to see it. Hellams has full confidence in the kid because I cant tell you in 10 years of watching MC football seeing them in a tight game never run the ball in the red zone. Kid was throwing bullets.

These are the kind of games that prepare you for the playoffs and I still think the toughest test is coming in two weeks.
Noller vs Echols will b a excellent chess match

I was thinking"why wasn't Noller the QB the last couple of years?" Then I look at the roster and see he is a new recruit.

Good win for Creek. That should not have been a one score game. Creek continues with the penalty parade in the first half. Holding and personal fouls hurt. Went from having a TD on a great pass and catch (!!) to getting stopped on fourth and one.

Three personal fouls. Needs to stop. I understand on interception return that is an agressive penalty but they are going to call that every time and good way to hurt the opponent or yourself bad.

Creek missed their kicker bad. Injury, will be back. His ability to put the ball in the end zone or get a deep high kick is a game changed especially against this opponent. Punting game and coverage must be a priority. I think Creek should go for it on fourth downs. Not sure why they opted to do the QB punt out of the shotgun on third down when he is lighting up the D in the air? It was third and 23 (?) but with Noller I am going for it on third and may be on fourth depending on the third down yardage. First down marker was about the 21. Note back, on a punt you cannot take a step(s) back.

OL had issues with the speed of the smaller defenders especially the LBers shooting and stunting at angles.

Simpson the best player on the field. His combo of size, speed, agressiveness, and good football iq put him on another level. The two running backs are very good and a nice mix but I think Simpson's ability to deliver blows wears teams down more. Just have to pick the spots.

Noller the MVP and player they can least afford to lose. With 2016-2018 QBs they have two L's. People can say no but that is my take. The QB we watched last night would have led MC to state titles last season and may be in 2017. Difference maker! Patient and smart. Checks down before he takes off only running when it is his last option. Can thread the needle. Thought he could have taken a little heat off the ball a few times.

Couple of dropped passes, some really nice catches, and two that would have been highlights with the catch.

MC did not play their best in my opinion and they won in a hostile atmosphere against a very good team. State title or bust.

Penalties didnt bother me as much last night. PF on the kickoff was bad call. Holding is always a tough one as it is inconsistent from ref to ref...The constant uniform violation and spotting of the ball looked a little suspicious to me.....

Blocked punt and kick off return accounted for 14 pts for Gaffney. Throw in the early int and Gaffney only scores when getting the ball inside the 35.

Agree on Noller. He makes them more explosive and also bails them out when they get behind the chains. That was always an issue the last two years.

I liked the quick kick....would have been better if he would have gotten some roll. Either way the got Gaffney to go 3 and out. I think Mike was terrified of punting at that point.

If they can clean up special teams I think it will win #4.

In the 2nd quarter, which was after the 1st delay, the Creek offensive line was starting to dominate DF’s Dline. If Knotts didn’t like delays or the need for another break then why did we have an unnecessary long halftime on top of the delays. Knotts was trying to regroup because he knew his defense was in trouble.

The QB punt was actually on 4th down. The down marker wasn’t correct as the play before where the receiver was flagged for catching the ball after being out of bounds was a loss of down.

Reactions: btango and ggman
The QB punt was actually on 4th down. The down marker wasn’t correct as the play before where the receiver was flagged for catching the ball after being out of bounds was a loss of down.

Thanks. Did not realize loss of down.

The officiating all year in many HS games including College today has become to visible. I think at some level these Refs are not adjusting to the speed and power of the game. Let the kids play unless it’s egregious. The DF game had very few penalties. Now I really think that’s because it benefited DF because it was a physical mismatch and they needed a few grabs LOL .

I'm not a big believer in ref conspiracy because I generally think they are grown men with integrity and take pride in performing their profession. However I have been to 2 Mallard Creek games played in South Carolina and it sure seems that both times now the refs definitely called both games in the South Carolina teams favor. But I admit I dont see a ton of Mallard Creek games and from what I'm told Mallard Creek despite being a great team has a tendency to get quite a few penalties.

Not missing point. Just think you wrong. The physical battle was all MC and DF was really struggling to tackle late in that game.

I'm not a big believer in ref conspiracy because I generally think they are grown men with integrity and take pride in performing their profession. However I have been to 2 Mallard Creek games played in South Carolina and it sure seems that both times now the refs definitely called both games in the South Carolina teams favor. But I admit I dont see a ton of Mallard Creek games and from what I'm told Mallard Creek despite being a great team has a tendency to get quite a few penalties.

I am not a conspiracy guy either but the 2nd Dillon game was terrible
The refs were clearly trying to slow game down for Dillon

I am not a conspiracy guy either but the 2nd Dillon game was terrible
The refs were clearly trying to slow game down for Dillon
I am a Dillon fan and I was at both games. I don’t think that the refs were intentionally trying to slow the game down. I really think that it was so hot and muggy that game that they were completely gassed! They were even calling water breaks for themselves. They were tons of penalties and it could have went either way. Remember, Dillon had a long touchdown called back. Those were some of the most physical games I’ve seen. I was impressed Dillon competed the way they did for a 2A team.

Yes the second Dillon game was one of 2 games I've seen live with Mallard Creek playing in South Carolina with the game at Gaffney being the other.

The thing I remember about the second Dillon matchup was often the referee would stand upright with the ball for the spot and look at the Dillon side watching their D slowly get in position while MC was on the line ready to snap the ball. MC's staff was telling the QB (new to the team) to get in position and call the count. The crew may have been tired and sucking wind but it was not a real fast paced game (Myers Park, Dutch Fork, 2019 MC, Shelby, Byrnes).

It’s not a conspiracy when it’s consistent throughout the game. You could throw a flag every play if you wanted to as these kids make physical mistakes on every play. I saw flags after explosive plays by MC consistently thrown after the play was gone 2-3 seconds those are the ones that consistent stink. If you see it call it don’t wait for the outcome.

Reactions: onebadtiger29
Gaffney will beat both Dorman and Byrnes this year. Gaffney's starting safety was out , starting LB and RB.

Gaffney will beat both Dorman and Byrnes this year. Gaffney's starting safety was out , starting LB and RB.

I always expect the unexpected when Byrnes and Gaffney line up. Been to a couple of those matchups including the TV game at the old Gaffney stadium. Great atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT