ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Watauga vs # 15 Mallard Creek

Any great places to dine in near Watauga HS?
Any great places to dine in near Watauga HS?
I like Peppers

Mikes inland seafood is near the high school if you like seafood

If you like Mexican

Last edited:
I like Peppers

If you like Mexican

Peppers is a great spot. The Mexican you discussed, is it down the hill on the side road from Peppers. Has an Italian in the same strip mall. The Italian is good also.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I like Peppers

If you like Mexican

Seafood sounds great.

And this may be a biased comment, but Watauga has always run a classy program. I can't ever remember a period where people talked poorly about the character of the pioneers, even when I was going there, and we were unruly lol. I live in TN now and football is a whole different world here. There is no such thing as class about 90% of the programs.
My friends from Marvin Ridge are still reeling from how the Creek rolled in there last Friday. They brought their own huge speakers and loud music dancing and carrying on . Before they knew it they were down 2-3 tds. Be ready I’m guessing y’all haven’t seen that kind of road show in Boone this year. Oh and they’re big and fast and pretty good football team

My friends from Marvin Ridge are still reeling from how the Creek rolled in there last Friday. They brought their own huge speakers and loud music dancing and carrying on . Before they knew it they were down 2-3 tds. Be ready I’m guessing y’all haven’t seen that kind of road show in Boone this year. Oh and they’re big and fast and pretty good football team

Jordan Davis Alumni who plays for the Eagles purchased it for the team. It has blue tooth capability that connects tablets and video Camera's for play back on the big screen, with a built in speaker System. Coaches took over the music play list recently. I have no clue WTH these kids are listening to these days. LOL!

Was gonna keep this out of here but since you brought up these teenags boys. I got to witness up and close their behavior in the stands at a playoff volleyball game 3 weeks ago when I made the drive up.
The monkey noises, screaming at HS girls playing there " last games, cat calls.
I'm gonna enjoy this game Friday as much as any I have watched in years.
They were out of control
I'm not sure what you are referring to, I know I was strictly talking about the football athletes. What the student section does is solely on poor parenting and lack of administrative attention. I know when I was a student, long long time ago, there was an administrator for each section of the stands and never tolerated disrespect of any kind.

Alcoa has won 17 state championships since 2000 in 3a and have won 8 in a row. I’ll be interested to see if f Bradley Central wins 6a in TN. They have a player Boo Carter who is electric.

I agree for the most part, but I disagree that nc has more depth of good teams. You've got a select few in the farther eastern parts of TN that dominate (Alcoa, Anderson County, Elizabethton, Greeneville, Hampton and cloudland both as smaller schools), but then Knoxville and all towards the west, there are some monster programs. I do feel like the "any given Friday" factor is more prevalent in TN, being that you see more upsets or close games. Greeneville and Alcoa went 8 OTs and the game ended 3-0. Appvol is right though, Bo Carter is a freak athlete, you'll see him on Sundays for sure. Last year alone, Carter county was one game away from seeing three out of four of their teams in the state championship, so the talent just depends. I do see coaches getting more buy in from a holistic team perspective in TN vs just pure talent teams winning on skill alone. If you find the talent and buy in together, well then you get Alcoa who has dominated for years. They're basically the Shelby of TN. Ive strongly considered watching the Anderson County @ Elizabethton game Friday in the house built by Witten. For those of y'all who don't know, Jason Wittens brother is the coach at Elizabethton high, and he's a great dude. Super friendly, hosts off season programs for ALL youth in the tri cities, and has a pretty successful travel ball team. We beat their travel ball team in a tournament up in VA last year. His son is a really really talented runner. May be the next big thing to come out of this area in roughly six or seven years.

I agree for the most part, but I disagree that nc has more depth of good teams. You've got a select few in the farther eastern parts of TN that dominate (Alcoa, Anderson County, Elizabethton, Greeneville, Hampton and cloudland both as smaller schools), but then Knoxville and all towards the west, there are some monster programs. I do feel like the "any given Friday" factor is more prevalent in TN, being that you see more upsets or close games. Greeneville and Alcoa went 8 OTs and the game ended 3-0. Appvol is right though, Bo Carter is a freak athlete, you'll see him on Sundays for sure. Last year alone, Carter county was one game away from seeing three out of four of their teams in the state championship, so the talent just depends. I do see coaches getting more buy in from a holistic team perspective in TN vs just pure talent teams winning on skill alone. If you find the talent and buy in together, well then you get Alcoa who has dominated for years. They're basically the Shelby of TN. Ive strongly considered watching the Anderson County @ Elizabethton game Friday in the house built by Witten. For those of y'all who don't know, Jason Wittens brother is the coach at Elizabethton high, and he's a great dude. Super friendly, hosts off season programs for ALL youth in the tri cities, and has a pretty successful travel ball team. We beat their travel ball team in a tournament up in VA last year. His son is a really really talented runner. May be the next big thing to come out of this area in roughly six or seven years.
Any of your kids involved in football

My son trained with Ryan Witten for years and still does. Bryson Rollins is the QB at Maryville College and already broke their school record for passing yards as a sophomore. Has over 5,000 in 2 years. Shawn Witten has done a great job at Elizabethton. I still think more depth of good teams in NC because there is more schools in NC. So we can disagree on that. Murphy last year played South Pittsburg who are a 1a powerhouse and beat them. South Pittsburg went out and got a couple of 3 star transfers for this year one who is from Georgia committed to Auburn. SP has been rolling this year.

Last edited:
My son trained with Ryan Witten for years and still does. Bryson Rollins is the QB at Maryville College and already broke their school record for passing yards as a sophomore. Has over 5,000 in 2 years. Shawn Witten has done a great job at Elizabethton. I still think more depth of good teams in NC because there is more schools in NC. So we can disagree on that. Murphy last year played South Pittsburg who are a 1a powerhouse and beat them. South Pittsburg went out and a couple of 3 star transfers for this year one who is from Georgia committed to Auburn. SP has been rolling this year.
We had a tournament at South Pittsburgh the day of their state championship parade a few years back. Smaller program and it's a one horse town. I can understand why they're a powerhouse for sure. Someone asked if I had a son playing football, I do, my oldest plays for a team out of Hawkins county and we play travel ball for the East TN Villains, but he's only 9. My youngest has no desire to play football right now, his intelligence is off the charts so he would rather build something with his 3D printer, he's 6 lol. Smarter than I'll ever be.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, I know I was strictly talking about the football athletes. What the student section does is solely on poor parenting and lack of administrative attention. I know when I was a student, long long time ago, there was an administrator for each section of the stands and never tolerated disrespect of any kind.
Mostly football players dominating the student section at the home Vball playoff game. Happens at lots of high schools but in this case the behavior was abhorrent. Administrator standing right there which made it far worse. Multiple complaints filed with the school, school board and NCHSAA.

• Wow
Reactions: ohio tarheels
Mostly football players dominating the student section at the home Vball playoff game. Happens at lots of high schools but in this case the behavior was abhorrent. Administrator standing right there which made it far worse. Multiple complaints filed with the school, school board and NCHSAA.
Good. Those folks need to be held accountable. Unfortunately I don't live there anymore, and I'm just a fan so I wouldn't have any say-so anyhow.

I think Pisgah rolled over the Mtns and beat a Hampton team this year, how are they? I like seeing NC teams play schools from Tenn and SC.

I think Pisgah rolled over the Mtns and beat a Hampton team this year, how are they? I like seeing NC teams play schools from Tenn and SC.
Actually Hampton went to Pisgah. Hampton was in it. If Hampton could of scored before the half it might of been a interesting 2nd half. Pisgah pulled away in the 2nd half. This Hampton isn’t has good as some their past teams. Asheville played Dobyns Bennett this year. Brevard played Knoxville Catholic this year.

Actually Hampton went to Pisgah. Hampton was in it. If Hampton could of scored before the half it might of been a interesting 2nd half. Pisgah pulled away in the 2nd half. This Hampton isn’t has good as some their past teams. Asheville played Dobyns Bennett this year. Brevard played Knoxville Catholic this year.
Not as good and no depth. Hampton won championship in basketball this season as well, so there's an influx or would be football players switching sports. One of our travel ball coaches is really involved with Hampton football, said their numbers were down this year and being that small, they didn't have the numbers to lose to begin with.

Not as good and no depth. Hampton won championship in basketball this season as well, so there's an influx or would be football players switching sports. One of our travel ball coaches is really involved with Hampton football, said their numbers were down this year and being that small, they didn't have the numbers to lose to begin with.
Correct plus some injuries. Makes it hard with less than 400 kids. Hampton has a good looking Freshman OL. Probably 6’5 close to 300lbs. Not a fat kid either. He looks like he has great potential if he puts the work in.

Reactions: heelzfor2

Jordan Davis Alumni who plays for the Eagles purchased it for the team. It has blue tooth capability that connects tablets and video Camera's for play back on the big screen, with a built in speaker System. Coaches took over the music play list recently. I have no clue WTH these kids are listening to these days. LOL!
Wow, always wanted to see a program of Mallard Creek play and had thought about making short trip up mountain… Seen 2 players committed to D1 schools but figured they would have more, is it not a talented a team as they have had in the past??

Wow, always wanted to see a program of Mallard Creek play and had thought about making short trip up mountain… Seen 2 players committed to D1 schools but figured they would have more, is it not a talented a team as they have had in the past??
The portal is killing recruiting. Not as big, as previous teams on the OL. We averaged at one time. 6'5" to 6'6" 320lbs on the OL. Probably the fastest team in School History. The 4x100 & 4x200 State Champs are all on the football team. Will have some late commits. Knock on wood. I believe coach has finally figured out how to use the track guys

Last edited:
This is a case of me probably stereotyping Tenn football as a whole and probably against the absolute best in NC state history but Indy in 2001 beat Tenn state champion that year Knoxville Austin east like 77 to 6 or something ridiculous like that. If they were state Champs that year that is a ridiculous lopsided score to lose by as a state championship.

This is a case of me probably stereotyping Tenn football as a whole and probably against the absolute best in NC state history but Indy in 2001 beat Tenn state champion that year Knoxville Austin east like 77 to 6 or something ridiculous like that. If they were state Champs that year that is a ridiculous lopsided score to lose by as a state championship.
You are definitely stereotyping. Austin East was 3a in TN which would be small 2a in NC then. In 2000 they were in 2a in TN 2001 was AE 1st year in 3a. You are talking about what might be the greatest high school team ever from NC that won how many games in a row.

Reactions: nepsy7
Not close which way? Watauga has an undersized defense with a lot of discipline. Acr had a few key injuries. The argument could be made for both teams, but wataugas weakness is size.
Either way. Watauga’s defense historically speaking has a strong DNA.

You are definitely stereotyping. Austin East was 3a in TN which would be small 2a in NC then. In 2000 they were in 2a in TN 2001 was AE 1st year in 3a. You are talking about what might be the greatest high school team ever from NC that won how many games in a row.
If I remember correctly (i was in high school) Indy was supposed to play another high school champion but if fell through so they were able to get Austin East. I do remember they were in a smaller classification. To be fair most teams weren’t running such a precise passing attack like Indy back in those days. Leak finished top three nationally in passing yards in a career which lets you know how well oiled that machine was.

Reactions: beamer24
If I remember correctly (i was in high school) Indy was supposed to play another high school champion but if fell through so they were able to get Austin East. I do remember they were in a smaller classification. To be fair most teams weren’t running such a precise passing attack like Indy back in those days. Leak finished top three nationally in passing yards in a career which lets you know how well oiled that machine was.
Plus the 2 WRs that made it to the NFL. The year before AE got beat in the 3rd round by Alcoa in the 2a playoffs 31-6

Another factor is the power shifts within Mecklenburg county. I moved here in 97
so West Charlotte was the king, then it shifted to Indy, Butler, Mallard Creek then Chambers. WC, Indy and Butler had lean years afterwards but in Butler’s case they remained pretty competitive but didn’t have the struggles of Indy and WC. MC is going through that right now. They have talent but not at the level of a 13-18 time period.

Appvol,

I cant argue specifically with you. Clearly you have more insight into Tennessee HS football than I. But Indy beating a state champ team THAT year so badly looks bad in general. I also seem to remember Byrnes from SC crushing a Tennessee team in similar fashion although I can't quite remember the exact year or the specific Tennessee opponent. I would like to see more NC teams take on Tennessee teams. Can you speak specifically on what NC teams play Tennessee teams each year if any? And how these matches go? I seem to recall Asheville Erwin won against a Tennessee team this year. In your opinion where is the best football played in Tennessee, in the east, central, or west? I lived in Memphis for a year but that is clearly a HS hoops city.

Appvol,

I cant argue specifically with you. Clearly you have more insight into Tennessee HS football than I. But Indy beating a state champ team THAT year so badly looks bad in general. I also seem to remember Byrnes from SC crushing a Tennessee team in similar fashion although I can't quite remember the exact year or the specific Tennessee opponent. I would like to see more NC teams take on Tennessee teams. Can you speak specifically on what NC teams play Tennessee teams each year if any? And how these matches go? I seem to recall Asheville Erwin won against a Tennessee team this year. In your opinion where is the best football played in Tennessee, in the east, central, or west? I lived in Memphis for a year but that is clearly a HS hoops city.
Knoxville area West are your best teams. Greeneville,TN and Elizabethton,TN are your teams East that are good. Hampton and Cloudland in the smaller classes are good a lot of years after that it’s not great in Northeast TN.

Byrnes played Montgomery Bell a private school out Nashville in 2005 and won 62-14. MBA has played several out of state games. This website is good for historical stuff.

I’m like rain man when it comes to this. I love the recruiting part of high school football and when there are out of state games. Hopefully my daughter and I are going to this game Friday.

Last edited:
Several years ago they did a battle of the border at Gardner Webb where NC teams played SC teams. Seems like maybe Rock Hill or Gaffney was one of the big teams from down there came up and played Crest I believe from NC. Pisgah also played in it but cannot remember their opponent.

Reactions: 704cougardad
Appvol,

At least Austin East lost to a state champion Independence. Indy did lose to a average Cincinnati team who broke the streak years later. That made NC look alot worse than Tennessee.

Reactions: 704cougardad
Several years ago they did a battle of the border at Gardner Webb where NC teams played SC teams. Seems like maybe Rock Hill or Gaffney was one of the big teams from down there came up and played Crest I believe from NC. Pisgah also played in it but cannot remember their opponent.
I wish they would do a border battle at App St one year and the next year do it at ETSU between NC and TN.

I agree the loss by Indy in Ohio, fairly or unfairly, did alot of damage to NC football reputation. I was extremely disappointed myself and wasn't even an Indy fan.

I agree the loss by Indy in Ohio, fairly or unfairly, did alot of damage to NC football reputation. I was extremely disappointed myself and wasn't even an Indy fan.
Yeah the talk on the boards at that time was Indy winning by at least two touchdowns because they weren’t playing one of the elite teams in that state. When they lost it was definitely damaging to the reputation of NC football

I remember that when Indy lost to the team in Ohio ( Elder High) . My brother was living up in Kentucky at the time talked about that game. He was basically saying Indy isn’t the team people thinks they are in so many words. I told him that Indy team wasn’t nothing like the ones before when they were winning Championship games.

Reactions: btango
I remember that when Indy lost to the team in Ohio ( Elder High) . My brother was living up in Kentucky at the time talked about that game. He was basically saying Indy isn’t the team people thinks they are in so many words. I told him that Indy team wasn’t nothing like the ones before when they were winning Championship games.

Indy peaked at 2004 after that year games were much tighter. Providence should have ended that streak in 2005 when they were up four touchdowns.

At least Austin East lost to a state champion Independence. Indy did lose to a average Cincinnati team who broke the streak years later. That made NC look alot worse than Tennessee.
That was the perfect storm. Indy was screwed logistically before the game and did not get any favors on the field.

Elder's QB was injured the next week and missed several games which slowed them down. He was solid and had future Notre Dame and long time NFL TE Kyle Rudolph as his primary target.

2007 Indy was probably the worst of the 2000-2009 other than possibly 2000 and 2009. Did not win the state title and really should have lost in the semifinal to West Charlotte. Season was doomed when future NC State TE blew out his knee in the Catholic scrimmage.

Another factor is the power shifts within Mecklenburg county. I moved here in 97
so West Charlotte was the king, then it shifted to Indy, Butler, Mallard Creek then Chambers. WC, Indy and Butler had lean years afterwards but in Butler’s case they remained pretty competitive but didn’t have the struggles of Indy and WC. MC is going through that right now. They have talent but not at the level of a 13-18 time period.
It's a very solid team with as Nepsy mentioned some electric speed. But your right..2010-19 featured 3 or 4 future NFLers and dozens of elite Power 5 kids.

Does Wautaga throw it around or do they run it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT