ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Watauga vs # 15 Mallard Creek

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Mallard Creek heads up the mountains to play against Watauga. Any thoughts for this game.

Creek is one of several teams "under seeded" because of an extremely competitive schedule. No Number 2 seed (another issue here) wants to be facing them round 2. Watauga won a track meet against a 3 win Charlotte area team in round 1. It gets real for Watauga this week and they will not score 50+ points against Creek. They have a chance to prove they can play with the big boys but expect Watauga to get exposed as a pretender and one more big fish, small pond undefeated team with a soft schedule. Creek by 2-3 touchdowns.

Creek is one of several teams "under seeded" because of an extremely competitive schedule. No Number 2 seed (another issue here) wants to be facing them round 2. Watauga won a track meet against a 3 win Charlotte area team in round 1. It gets real for Watauga this week and they will not score 50+ points against Creek. They have a chance to prove they can play with the big boys but expect Watauga to get exposed as a pretender and one more big fish, small pond undefeated team with a soft schedule. Creek by 2-3 touchdowns.
More shots at watauga for their schedule. If only we could walk to blocks and find another high school like the Charlotte teams. Individual high schools don't build their conferences. There's nothing the kids at Watauga can do put play the schedule placed before them. No reason to take shots and teenager boys doing their best. As I said before, the better team will win, regardless of seed. That's why they play the game. Mallard Creek is a great program. A proven program, with great upside. Safe travels to all their folks as they make the journey up the mountain.

More shots at watauga for their schedule. If only we could walk to blocks and find another high school like the Charlotte teams. Individual high schools don't build their conferences. There's nothing the kids at Watauga can do put play the schedule placed before them. No reason to take shots and teenager boys doing their best. As I said before, the better team will win, regardless of seed. That's why they play the game. Mallard Creek is a great program. A proven program, with great upside. Safe travels to all their folks as they make the journey up the mountain.
Pride. Probably a bit harsh. No slam on the kids or the coaches. They played their hand and did their job. The slam should be more directed at the athletic and school administration. It is not too hard to schedule challenging early season games. More and more schools are open to it. Rolling into the playoffs undefeated and untested only puts the kids in a position to be shell shocked in the early rounds. If you truly want to be the best, you have to play the best and beat the best. I wish Watauga good luck, and if Watauga beats Creek, I will humbly own it and choke down my big plate of crow.

Watauga is well coached and I have alot of respect for how there program is ran but they will be out gunned Friday night. Just not enough size and speed to compete with the top 4A teams this year. Watauga will compete better in the next realignment as we will as well.

Mallard Creek is a great program. A proven program with another year of insufficient proven potential to reach the final countdown.

Wish Watauga could schedule AC Reynolds, West Forsyth maybe even a West Henderson. Watauga is a good program
They beat Reynolds on September 8th, 36-35. They beat 2nd rounder Roberson 13-12 on August 18th. They beat 2nd rounder Maiden 47-21 on Sept. 1st. They beat 2nd rounder Hibriten 41-21 on Oct. 13th. Who else do you want them to play? Alabama? The Packers?

Watauga is well coached and I have alot of respect for how there program is ran but they will be out gunned Friday night. Just not enough size and speed to compete with the top 4A teams this year. Watauga will compete better in the next realignment as we will as well.
Does Watauga have a good defensive line? If so, they have a chance to win. The receivers will look like gazelles running down the field but the game I saw, MC doesn't have a good passing game to get them the ball and the oline has size but rarely moves to the 2nd level. I have heard Watauga was a very disciplined team and has some trick plays, so if they string the plays to the sideline on defense and can score 21-28, they have a chance. I wouldn't kick it off for them to return either. Kick it out of bounds.

Does Watauga have a good defensive line? If so, they have a chance to win. The receivers will look like gazelles running down the field but the game I saw, MC doesn't have a good passing game to get them the ball and the oline has size but rarely moves to the 2nd level. I have heard Watauga was a very disciplined team and has some trick plays, so if they string the plays to the sideline on defense and can score 21-28, they have a chance. I wouldn't kick it off for them to return either. Kick it out of bounds.
They scored on a double pass against us and I think they used 2 trick plays against ACR. They usually pooch kick the ball. IMO there defense isn't that solid especially against the pass. Freedom scored 48 points against them.

Their defense isn’t anywhere as good as it has been the past few years.. But on the other hand I haven’t seen Watauga get blown out in too many games since I’ve been following HS football.. Habich and staff will come in with a solid game plan and will have the players ready and I’m sure will have a trick or 2 up his sleeve at some point

Creek started believing the hype after going toe to toe against Nationally ranked Buford. started coasting and showing up with no identity and no offense. Last 2 games against Chambers & Marvin Ridge a lot has changed. More aggressive and gang tackling on defensive, while much improved on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully we can stay focused.

Last edited:
I think Watauga been a giant for years just needing to be awake. They’re bottom feeder years in the 90s and some early 2000s they had nasty good athletes but I guess poor coaching and vanilla play calling and motivation.

Helps when all your kids are in one county with a decent population at the right places. Good set up

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I think Watauga been a giant for years just needing to be awake. They’re bottom feeder years in the 90s and some early 2000s they had nasty good athletes but I guess poor coaching and vanilla play calling and motivation.

Helps when all your kids are in one county with a decent population at the right places. Good set up
The problem watauga has always had is size. If you look at Watauga's successful periods, one or two players has changed the entire chemistry. Habich has changed a stagnant culture into maximizing potential. I think that's what separates a great coach from a coach with great talent. Imagine what Watauga could have done in 2007 and 2008 when Eric breitenstein was there. But to continue my original point, there are a lot of family owned farms and businesses in watauga county where some of the larger boys have to go work a family farm after school. They don't get the opportunity to play ball that someone the same size towards Charlotte does.

The problem watauga has always had is size. If you look at Watauga's successful periods, one or two players has changed the entire chemistry. Habich has changed a stagnant culture into maximizing potential. I think that's what separates a great coach from a coach with great talent. Imagine what Watauga could have done in 2007 and 2008 when Eric breitenstein was there. But to continue my original point, there are a lot of family owned farms and businesses in watauga county where some of the larger boys have to go work a family farm after school. They don't get the opportunity to play ball that someone the same size towards Charlotte does.
True

And this may be a biased comment, but Watauga has always run a classy program. I can't ever remember a period where people talked poorly about the character of the pioneers, even when I was going there, and we were unruly lol. I live in TN now and football is a whole different world here. There is no such thing as class about 90% of the programs.

And this may be a biased comment, but Watauga has always run a classy program. I can't ever remember a period where people talked poorly about the character of the pioneers, even when I was going there, and we were unruly lol. I live in TN now and football is a whole different world here. There is no such thing as class about 90% of the programs.
Well I don’t know where you live in TN but I go to a lot games in TN never seen anything about what you are talking about. Went to Elizabethton Greeneville game a few weeks ago and it was awesome atmosphere. Thinking about going to Elizabethton Anderson County game Friday. Anderson County has a great pre game atmosphere that I have wanted to see. I have always wanted to see Mallard Creek play too so I’m torn on where to go.

Last edited:
I think Watauga is catching some of the fallout regarding their seeding in comparison to other teams who played a more difficult schedule. People are upset at the process and one of the examples of the process is to use Watauga as an example by picking apart their schedule. To be fair its not their fault in regards to where they were seeded.

The storyline to this game is fascinating to me. If Watauga wins they silence many of the people who feel they were overseeded. If they lose it gives detractors fuel to confirm what they thought about them. If Mallard Creek loses it would be a disappointing season that started with so much promise. It would put into question the direction of a power under the current coaching staff. If MC wins then it would make for a interesting third round game.

I can’t see MC losing. But Watauga has gotten to we’re they can hang with and play with good teams we’re as years ago this was unheard of. But it’s showed that some Charlotte teams just have the speed strength and tallent that no matter how tricked up and wise coaching calls are for Watuaga it’s just hard to outmuscle and outrun a team that’s full of track stars and power lifters even if that teams play calling is not that fancy.

I seen MC play one time in 2013. It was against Butler. It looked like the same play up the middle running on offense and just good pressure up front on defense that it just made the game look so easy cause they were so athletic and strong that it was almost as if they didn’t even need subs or coaches. 3rd quarter we was gone, it got ugly.

I think Weddington was same way when they played Watauga. Just nothing they could do, those boys were just too big and too athletic. Pretty much a middle of the road private college team level.

Was gonna keep this out of here but since you brought up these teenags boys. I got to witness up and close their behavior in the stands at a playoff volleyball game 3 weeks ago when I made the drive up.
The monkey noises, screaming at HS girls playing there " last games, cat calls.
I'm gonna enjoy this game Friday as much as any I have watched in years.
They were out of control

Reactions: mrhonda and btango
I think Watauga is catching some of the fallout regarding their seeding in comparison to other teams who played a more difficult schedule. People are upset at the process and one of the examples of the process is to use Watauga as an example by picking apart their schedule. To be fair its not their fault in regards to where they were seeded.

The storyline to this game is fascinating to me. If Watauga wins they silence many of the people who feel they were overseeded. If they lose it gives detractors fuel to confirm what they thought about them. If Mallard Creek loses it would be a disappointing season that started with so much promise. It would put into question the direction of a power under the current coaching staff. If MC wins then it would make for a interesting third round game.
Every discourse about Mallard Creek starts with an excessive amount of promises and insufficient concern year in and year out. The preseason kicks off with a ton of hoopla and boasting. Now see where they are at—they are using their words cautiously and slowly confidently creeping back in the chat as they win the first. They are nothing more than a group of bumbling instigators.

Was gonna keep this out of here but since you brought up these teenags boys. I got to witness up and close their behavior in the stands at a playoff volleyball game 3 weeks ago when I made the drive up.
The monkey noises, screaming at HS girls playing there " last games, cat calls.
I'm gonna enjoy this game Friday as much as any I have watched in years.
They were out of control
I don't know about this particular situation but some people will not ever believe anyone affiliated with their program can do anything wrong. Recently I quoted what 2 staff members from a school came and said about another school to a small group of men I had been talking with. It wasn't even anything really bad, but their people got on here saying noone from their school would ever say such things and they are a respectful program that would never trash talk. Heck ,they had other programs saying that the particular school nor their fans would ever talk trash about another school. Lol.. some people are just out of touch with reality and have their blinders on. I hope someone reported that situation you witnessed.

Every discourse about Mallard Creek starts with an excessive amount of promises and insufficient concern year in and year out. The preseason kicks off with a ton of hoopla and boasting. Now see where they are at—they are using their words cautiously and slowly confidently creeping back in the chat as they win the first. They are nothing more than a group of bumbling instigators.
And every conversation with you is Anti Mallard Creek who makes up silly scenario’s that don’t exist. It's really been nothing to talk about when you’re taking 3 L’s in a row. Very disappointing losses and instigating what? There are 2 Mallard Creek Guys on these threads, that’s it. No caution, we call it like we see it. I talk shiggady to uninformed nut jobs like yourself AKA S2V2! It’s going on 7 years, with over 20 different profiles and you always find a way to input your ignorance. Simple post, and you create your same simpleton responses. Yes, i still own you. Nothing has changed. 🤷🏾‍♂️😂 I knew you were a nut when you attempted to have a full fledge conversation during Kickoff at the Mallard Creek vs Scotland County game. That was 2017 and you're still a consistent Babbling moron nut. All 5'5" of you. Still got that little man complex. Did you ever get those shoe lifts i sent you?

Last edited:
In your opinion have you found TN football to be more enjoyable than NC overall or vice versa?

In your opinion have you found TN football to be more enjoyable than NC overall or vice versa?
It’s not a lot different. The good teams in TN are good. There is more depth of good teams in NC. This is Anderson County pregame. Looks pretty cool to me. I like to see it in person.

Alcoa has won 17 state championships since 2000 in 3a and have won 8 in a row. I’ll be interested to see if f Bradley Central wins 6a in TN. They have a player Boo Carter who is electric.

Alcoa has won 17 state championships since 2000 in 3a and have won 8 in a row. I’ll be interested to see if f Bradley Central wins 6a in TN. They have a player Boo Carter who is electric.

You've supplied some excellent information. It seems as though Tennessee is brimming with unadulterated enthusiasm over football. Money must be flowing through the gates. Perhaps you and 704cougardad are close friends?

And every conversation with you is Anti Mallard Creek who makes up silly scenario’s that don’t exist. It's really been nothing to talk about when you’re taking 3 L’s in a row. Very disappointing losses and instigating what? There are 2 Mallard Creek Guys on these threads, that’s it. No caution, we call it like we see it. I talk shiggady to uninformed nut jobs like yourself AKA S2V2! It’s going on 7 years, with over 20 different profiles and you always find a way to input your ignorance. Simple post, and you create your same simpleton responses. Yes, i still own you. Nothing has changed. 🤷🏾‍♂️😂 I knew you were a nut when you attempted to have a full fledge conversation during Kickoff at the Mallard Creek vs Scotland County game. That was 2017 and you're still a consistent Babbling moron nut. All 5'5" of you. Still got that little man complex. Did you ever get those shoe lifts i sent you?
Oh wow I had no idea you two met before.

Breitenstein (Class of 08) was phenomenal! Just curious in '06 they went to the 3rd round. In '07 they went to the 4th round. These 2 years included playoff wins over Page, ACR, and a super athletic Purnell Swett team. What do you consider to be successful?

Reactions: BlueVols and mbdfan
Oh wow I had no idea you two met before.
He introduced himself to Blue and Gold22 and myself right before kickoff, with over 10k probably in attendance. He wouldn’t stop talking. Going on 7 years and he still won’t shut up. He chimes in like clockwork with derogatory statements about Mallard Creek. He’s x military with a 100% disability. I’m clueless to why he’s not using his medical benefits. Mental health is real. 🤷🏾‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT