ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek vs West Charlotte 9/14

I was definitely impressed by the freshman wideout that caught the td pass. He adjusted to pass, showed great concentration, balance, and athleticism all in one play.
Davion is D1 already. Been a baller since his NC Giants days. They have several freshmen playing on varsity.

Reactions: Champ_24
Mallard Creeks offense isn’t much different than what everyone else runs usually from a spread attack. The difference was then line was bigger with capable quarterback play. In other words they were supremely talented so a complex scheme wasn’t necessary. If the passing game failed they can simply maul you with the run. The 2010 Mallard Creek team was one of the best offenses I had seen on a high school level. The talent level now is closer to the rest of the pack so it’s more of a struggle now. To be fair Chambers and Hough have this issue too from a schematic perspective it’s pretty much read option with tons of bubble screens and the occasional deep shot.

Mallard Creek could be 5-5 if they don’t beat Hough or Chambers but preferably both. They do have some games where they can iron out the offense.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Agree 100%. Said it this summer WC is loaded. They have an EXCELLENT toughness attitude this year. Coach Greiner and the staff have really got them believing. Then add in Coach Williams, Coleman, Mixon with Rose and Sullivan on the sidelines. Not sure of the OLINE coach name but he gets major props also.

When Greiner got suspended last year and the parents rallied around him u knew this team would be special. Crazy thing is they are super young. The 26/27 classes may be the best in the state. Then 28/29 incoming? They could challenge for top program in state in two years. Thats how talented and focused they are.
You called in in a previous thread during the summer.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Mallard Creeks offense isn’t much different than what everyone else runs usually from a spread attack. The difference was then line was bigger with capable quarterback play. In other words they were supremely talented so a complex scheme wasn’t necessary. If the passing game failed they can simply maul you with the run. The 2010 Mallard Creek team was one of the best offenses I had seen on a high school level. The talent level now is closer to the rest of the pack so it’s more of a struggle now. To be fair Chambers and Hough have this issue too from a schematic perspective it’s pretty much read option with tons of bubble screens and the occasional deep shot.

Mallard Creek could be 5-5 if they don’t beat Hough or Chambers but preferably both. They do have some games where they can iron out the offense.
Agree somewhat. With Brand MC was much more multiple and they would run under center much more, and utilized play action. This MC offense is pure spread as evidenced by four straight shotgun runs inside the 5 yard line. Even when WC went to ice the game they went under center. MC should have thrown deep all day and attacked the WC middle of the field. Used more tempo. Not sure if they scouted the Indy game but this area was open because WC commits so much to stop the run and is super stout upfront.

On the last play if you must go shotgun, make sure you block #4. Or use a motion to clear the box some. It was the perfect shotgun to under center QB sneak play area with timing snap. Any push or pileup near the goal line is a MC TD as the play before was VERY Close and they had just got an offsides. Refs would have given them the spot especially at home after an encroachment penalty. Also kick the fg/xp and go up by one and play defense. Its kinda arrogant to even go for it there IMHO.

They could have just kicked a fieldgoal from the inch line and won the game too right? Or do they not have a kicker?
I think they were afraid of another kick being blocked is all I can figure. MC has a good kicker, that's why they tried the field goal on the previous possession.

I think they were afraid of another kick being blocked is all I can figure. MC has a good kicker, that's why they tried the field goal on the previous possession.
Pep, think the tide is changing in CMS. WC looked just as big and strong as MC. The goal line stand really showed the strength gains at WC. MC Under center 3 times wins this game. But with it being that close a kick would have been nice.

Davion is D1 already. Been a baller since his NC Giants days. They have several freshmen playing on varsity.
Coached against him when he was on the Giants. I will say this if they continue to get players from the Giants program into Griener's system. Watch out West Charlotte could easily become a real regional power within 2 years. When I say regional I mean one of the top schools non private in the southeast. The kids he's getting are flat out dawgs and they come from a Nationally recognized youth program, so they are well coached and used to competing for state and national titles.

Last edited:
Coached against him when he was on the Giants. I will say this if they continue to get players from the Giants program into Griener's system. Watch out West Charlotte could easily become a real regional power within 2 years. The kids he's getting out flat out dawgs and they come from a Nationally recognized youth program, so they are well coached and used to competiting for state and national titles.
Exactly. He also got the vast majority of the Ranson and IB school kids. Will say it again. IB middle schools dominate and with CMS crackdown IB schools are the wave of the future. They got almost every top IB middle school guy except for the guy at North. If WC can be a safe school and just avg academics they will soar. With no Knotts, Palmieri, Brand, or Ferbee type coach WC has best staff in city.

Agree somewhat. With Brand MC was much more multiple and they would run under center much more, and utilized play action. This MC offense is pure spread as evidenced by four straight shotgun runs inside the 5 yard line. Even when WC went to ice the game they went under center. MC should have thrown deep all day and attacked the WC middle of the field. Used more tempo. Not sure if they scouted the Indy game but this area was open because WC commits so much to stop the run and is super stout upfront.

On the last play if you must go shotgun, make sure you block #4. Or use a motion to clear the box some. It was the perfect shotgun to under center QB sneak play area with timing snap. Any push or pileup near the goal line is a MC TD as the play before was VERY Close and they had just got an offsides. Refs would have given them the spot especially at home after an encroachment penalty. Also kick the fg/xp and go up by one and play defense. Its kinda arrogant to even go for it there IMHO.
In high school it's far more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than scheme and play calling although this particular group is real bad. Marquis, LJ, Jaylen, North, Moss, Ryan Jones, Moss, Jela....they made geniuses out of some OC's. It's unfathomable that MC hasn't developed a single QB since 2015 and really haven't had an elite RB since the kid from California left.

They have some burners and Black is elite but you gotta get the ball in his hands and outside of bubble screens, go routes and an occasional jet sweep they haven't done that.

First two games were a false flag. Turnovers made them look much better than they were. Through 4 games they are avg 10 pts on offense per game. That's real bad.

One thing that I did notice about these Lions is they are physically stronger this year than the past couple of years. Those guys look like they have embraced their strength training program pretty well. WC has always been fast and athletic but now it’s looks like their athletes are becoming more well rounded as players.
They definitely will have to 2 way a few of the dline to help the oline for future games. One of the d-linemen(#53or58) did a really good job pulling and getting to the linebackers. I still don't know how much that actually helps the offense though because of the offense they run. Maybe this is just what they are building on for a run in the next year or 2. Anyone know the total offensive yardage for each team? I'm curious to see what percentage of the trick double pitch pass for the 1st td was for WC total offense. I'm pretty sure the entire 4th qt was played inside the MC 40 yard line except a play or 2.

Thinking of seeing EL and Hickory today and Dudley in a few weeks to get a semi comparison between different west teams

What is meant by IB schools bigdad11103?

International Baccalaureate. Magnet program. Only certain schools have that program so the team may can get a non district student to the school.​

The IB program was rigorous academically more so at some schools than others. In the old days, and maybe still the same, if a student attended his non home district high school as an IB student but dropped from the magnet program to the standard curriculum they had to sit out 365.

International Baccalaureate. Magnet program. Only certain schools have that program so the team may can get a non district student to the school.​

The IB program was rigorous academically more so at some schools than others. In the old days, and maybe still the same, if a student attended his non home district high school as an IB student but dropped from the magnet program to the standard curriculum they had to sit out 365.
The IB students are at the best middle schools for sports as there are only 4 in CMS. These athletes feed IB schools w/o having to sit out. They dont like it they csn go to home school w/o no 365

For the average coach Jimmys and Joes matter alot. For elite coaches jimmys and Joes matter are part of the formula and they attend to attract great jimmys and joes
I will say this about Brand. Once he found something that worked he ran it until you figured out how to stop it. That 2013 Creek team might have had 6-7 offensive plays but they were elite upfront, Pittman was a beast and Samuels had a unique skill set that AB exploited.

I will say this about Brand. Once he found something that worked he ran it until you figured out how to stop it. That 2013 Creek team might have had 6-7 offensive plays but they were elite upfront, Pittman was a beast and Samuels had a unique skill set that AB exploited.
Folks always talk jimmies and joes, but coaching talent matters. There are levels to coaching. Some are just better than others. Brand was one of the best ever in CMS

The IB students are at the best middle schools for sports as there are only 4 in CMS. These athletes feed IB schools w/o having to sit out. They dont like it they csn go to home school w/o no 365
That is what I wrote regarding districting. No sit out although the student athlete may not live in the school's geographical home district. A student cannot be required to sit out if returning to or entering their home school if they meet academic and residency. CMS learned that through the legal system.

Remember, WC forfeited the 1997 season when it was discovered a rising senior had changed to the standard academic curriculum prioer to his junior year at the recommendation of the academic advisor. Thought was he would have better GPA in the standard courses which would help him with college admittance. WC self reported and returned over $18,000 in playoff gate money. CMS had came out with a new computer system and it did not flag or correlate athletics with change to the general student body just that the person was a student. Player had the option, as you mentioned, to transfer back to his home school and play or sit out the next year but the academic advisor nor the first year principal were aware of the rule and the coaches / AD did not catch due to the new system in place. I totally understand the rule but once the student has been at the school for two years I think they should be allowed to remain eligible for athletics.

Folks always talk jimmies and joes, but coaching talent matters. There are levels to coaching. Some are just better than others. Brand was one of the best ever in CMS
That 2013 Mallard Creek team was undeniable. It’s one of the greatest teams in the state’s history. Brand was/is great but with the amount of talent they had, they needed a coach to not mess it up.

That is what I wrote regarding districting. No sit out although the student athlete may not live in the school's geographical home district. A student cannot be required to sit out if returning to or entering their home school if they meet academic and residency. CMS learned that through the legal system.

Remember, WC forfeited the 1997 season when it was discovered a rising senior had changed to the standard academic curriculum prioer to his junior year at the recommendation of the academic advisor. Thought was he would have better GPA in the standard courses which would help him with college admittance. WC self reported and returned over $18,000 in playoff gate money. CMS had came out with a new computer system and it did not flag or correlate athletics with change to the general student body just that the person was a student. Player had the option, as you mentioned, to transfer back to his home school and play or sit out the next year but the academic advisor nor the first year principal were aware of the rule and the coaches / AD did not catch due to the new system in place. I totally understand the rule but once the student has been at the school for two years I think they should be allowed to remain eligible for athletics.
Agree 100%. Especially for students that have been there from 9th/10th grade. 100%. Some just realize how hard IB is but love the school

Reactions: shutdownD24
Once they figured out all the things they could do with Samuels they were ultra impressive. Think they could have did much more with Simpson a few years ago.

The MC fans screaming to bench the offensive coordinator was kinda funny. I hate when fans scream about taking an individual player iut though. They don't understand that if you don't have the personnel to get the ball down the field in the air, you are limited in what you do. When you run, you are going at WC strength. The receivers were open, that's WC defensive weakness.
Who calls the plays at MC?

Exactly. He also got the vast majority of the Ranson and IB school kids. Will say it again. IB middle schools dominate and with CMS crackdown IB schools are the wave of the future. They got almost every top IB middle school guy except for the guy at North. If WC can be a safe school and just avg academics they will soar. With no Knotts, Palmieri, Brand, or Ferbee type coach WC has best staff in city.
Do not underestimate the coaching staff at Butler. Those guys probably have the most consistent program in Charlotte beyond the privates of course. I also think Butler is a title contender again this season. The Bulldogs are my favorite to emerge from the west.

Do not underestimate the coaching staff at Butler. Those guys probably have the most consistent program in Charlotte beyond the privates of course. I also think Butler is a title contender again this season. The Bulldogs are my favorite to emerge from the west.
They only had three coaches in their history which helps with consistency. The coaching staff they currently have is really good. A down year for Butler is 8-4 when talent is not as elite.

They only had three coaches in their history which helps with consistency. The coaching staff they currently have is really good. A down year for Butler is 8-4 when talent is not as elite.
That’s the sign of great coaching. You win 7-9 games when your talent is down and challenge for a title almost every year when you have the talent in place to make a run.

That’s the sign of great coaching. You win 7-9 games when your talent is down and challenge for a title almost every year when you have the talent in place to make a run.
It helps that they had 6 or 7 D1 quarterbacks since 2006. That is an incredible run of talent at that position. Many teams struggle to get 1 or 2. One of the gripes from some of the MC faithful is they haven’t developed one in several years. So Butler is fortunate

I thought the QB Mallard Creek had in 2019 was good enough to lead them to the title. But they got upset by Chambers in the first round and the coach left. That was a critical pivot point in their program and was magnified by I think 2 consecutive seasons prior to that also getting upset very early in the playoffs. Felt all the air went out in the loss to Chambers in 2019.

It helps that they had 6 or 7 D1 quarterbacks since 2006. That is an incredible run of talent at that position. Many teams struggle to get 1 or 2. One of the gripes from some of the MC faithful is they haven’t developed one in several years. So Butler is fortunate
Key word is “developed” in your post. I think that speaks again to the coaching acumen at Butler.

Reactions: btango
Key word is “developed” in your post. I think that speaks again to the coaching acumen at Butler.
Butler has an excellent coaching staff. #1 IMHO if we dont factor in player intangibles and just coaching purely. But overall player motivation, newness and developing a program WC is tops right now. WC is gonna be a hot destination for athletes. Butler hasnt been a destination school in a while.

Typically theres always been a coach/program that athletes and families flock too. It was WC, then Butler, then, INDY for a long time. Then Butler again, then MC, then Hough, then Chambers/Vance, now it appears to be WC again.

Butler has been super consistent near the top because of great academics, great coaching, and great talent. MC and Butler have been super consistent. MC has dipped some though recently.

Butler has an excellent coaching staff. #1 IMHO if we dont factor in player intangibles and just coaching purely. But overall player motivation, newness and developing a program WC is tops right now. WC is gonna be a hot destination for athletes. Butler hasnt been a destination school in a while.

Typically theres always been a coach/program that athletes and families flock too. It was WC, then Butler, then, INDY for a long time. Then Butler again, then MC, then Hough, then Chambers/Vance, now it appears to be WC again.

Butler has been super consistent near the top because of great academics, great coaching, and great talent. MC and Butler have been super consistent. MC has dipped some though recently.
I hate that they have a group trying to get the WC coach out for the former player to coach. Like the program is making strides, let the man coach. Hopefully their isn't any current team members family apart of that group. If the kids love him and the program is going in a positive direction, let him be.

I had to reread this and i have an idea of what you are saying since WC is on the rise. In regard to West Charlotte being a destination school this is the first I heard about that. Wasn’t everyone trashing Hough a few months ago for being a destination school? Objectively speaking they have been more consistent than West Charlotte the last several years so I would think kids would prefer to go there. Time will tell.

Why would they post. Honestly, it shows they are equally as good as their mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT