ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley: 3rd Round

Sorry, hit reply too early. Grimsley had a great showing last season against Hough. Loud student section for sure. Wouldn’t call it full though.

The Transfer Portal Bowl
I remember back during the late 80's through the decade of the 90's, Page was accused of stealing Kids from Dudley and Grimsley. Then during the beginning of Northern Guilford Domination Coach Tommy Pursley told the Greensboro News and Record that Northern has taken his best players from Northeast Guilford. Now Page is crying about kids not wanting to stay at Page. They seem not to be able to keep Basketball or Football Coaches. Now they put together a new field, new scoreboard, new stadium an next a new school to lure kids back into district. They can't stand that they aren't the King of the City anymore like back in the day. Back during the 2010-11-12 years Page had a QB named James Summers, he lead them to a 4A Championship over East Wake. However, he supposed to been attending Dudley High. However, he wanted to play at Page. Dudley never cried about it to the public, but in house everyone talked about how Page took from Dudley all during the 70's, 80's and 90's up into 2012. My Ex Wife grad of 1995 Page, she told me how she could here Dudley Marching Band Practice from her Mother's Front yard, but she had to get bused twice as long distances to Page. She wanted to attend Dudley.

Last edited:
I remember back during the late 80's through the decade of the 90's, Page was accused of stealing Kids from Dudley and Grimsley. Then during the beginning of Northern Guilford Domination Coach Tommy Pursley told the Greensboro News and Record that Northern has taken his best players from Northeast Guilford. Now Page is crying about kids not wanting to stay at Page. They seem not to be able to keep Basketball or Football Coaches. Now they put together a new field, new scoreboard, new stadium an next a new school to lure kids back into district. They can't stand that they aren't the King of the City anymore like back in the day. Back during the 2010-11-12 years Page had a QB named James Summers, he lead them to a 4A Championship over East Wake. However, he supposed to been attending Dudley High. However, he wanted to play at Page. Dudley never cried about it to the public, but in house everyone talked about how Page took from Dudley all during the 70's, 80's and 90's up into 2012. My Ex Wife grad of 1995 Page, she told me how she could here Dudley Marching Band Practice from her Mother's Front yard, but she had to get bused twice as long distances to Page. She wanted to attend Dudley.
Now this is just a question as i dont have a dog in this fight but if she had to be bussed there(and i'm assuming since she was bussed there, others were too) would it be considered Page stealing/recruiting from the other schools or was it a simple matter of bad districts? I ask because I also question some of the district rules currently with me being a resident here. I feel like my child goes to a certain school but in my opinion there's two other schools much closer.

Reactions: btango
Now this is just a question as i dont have a dog in this fight but if she had to be bussed there(and i'm assuming since she was bussed there, others were too) would it be considered Page stealing/recruiting from the other schools or was it a simple matter of bad districts? I ask because I also question some of the district rules currently with me being a resident here. I feel like my child goes to a certain school but in my opinion there's two other schools much closer.
Not out of the ordinary in urban areas even some rural.

Reactions: shutdownD24
I was thinking the same thing, if someone is being bussed to a school that is further away not sure if that is the same as stealing kids away from another school. I was technically closer to Independence but i was bussed to Butler based on how the lines were set. This was back in 2000 lol

Reactions: kingbluedevil
If the LEA districts an address/geographical area to a school even if farther distance or drive time than other schools the school the student is assigned to is their "home" school.

If the LEA districts an address/geographical area to a school even if farther distance or drive time than other schools the school the student is assigned to is their "home" school.
That's what I was thinking and what makes sense so I was just trying to figure out how was that considered stealing players.

This is definitely going to be a good game. I will honestly say that both teams look very explosive. Although both teams can run the ball I have the edge to Hough with the run game. Defensively, I believe Grimsley has the fronts to slow down the run game. I think that when we look at the deal breaker you have to say that the young QB at Grimsley has never been on this stage before. I give that edge to Hough. Receivers are evenly matched in my opinion. This game will come down to special teams and who can flip the field and win on special teams. I will not say who will win this one...LOL! I will say if it is zero to zero you can't lose! Good luck to both teams!

This is definitely going to be a good game. I will honestly say that both teams look very explosive. Although both teams can run the ball I have the edge to Hough with the run game. Defensively, I believe Grimsley has the fronts to slow down the run game. I think that when we look at the deal breaker you have to say that the young QB at Grimsley has never been on this stage before. I give that edge to Hough. Receivers are evenly matched in my opinion. This game will come down to special teams and who can flip the field and win on special teams. I will not say who will win this one...LOL! I will say if it is zero to zero you can't lose! Good luck to both teams!
Seriously doubt Hough has better receivers than Grimsley, what do you base this on?

Seriously doubt Hough has better receivers than Grimsley, what do you base this on?
They might be better than Hough but from watching film Hough receivers are just as effective in their scheme. Let me ask you this question, who do you think had the stronger schedule?

Reactions: onioncfb
They might be better than Hough but from watching film Hough receivers are just as effective in their scheme. Let me ask you this question, who do you think had the stronger schedule?
Hough, had the tougher schedule, that’s actually my worry for Grimsley this game. How do they react in a close game or a game they fall behind in. But they took out the entrie city of Charlotte last year when people had the same questions, and they have a better offense this year. Not to mention beat Tabor and Rolesville by a wide margin this year. I think the winner of this game wins the State Championship

I wasn't alive back in the early 80s, and was too young to know what was going on in the 90s at Page during those times, I can only talk on what I've experienced.

Also, Northern took players from WAYYY more than just Northeast Guilford. Most notably Keenan Allen (NFL) from Grimsley. Christian McCain (NFL) and Gabe King from Page, and many other high profile players from other schools around the area. Page, also, did not get a new stadium. Not sure where you heard that from, I wish we did though. That away side is getting very dated.

The new school has nothing to do with Page trying to "lure" kids into attending. The school was awarded bond money from the county because the school is crumbling from water damage and other infrastructure damages. It was just poorly built in the late 50s.

But, the same can be said for the current district lines.
There are kids that are bussed all the way out to Eastern Guilford, 15 miles away, when they are literally a few blocks away from Page.
Phillips Ave is split in half right down the middle of the street, one side goes to Page and the other goes to Dudley.
It is what it is. In the picture below, the Pink is Page district, Yellow Dudley, and Orange Eastern Guilford. (The Purple is Northeast Guilford)

I'm fine with parents moving into a district for whatever reasons, but when kids are going to a school just for football reasons without a move of address and its any number from 5-10 kids every year, it starts to get a little weird. Even when it benefits Page, I just am not a fan. I've said this many times, and will die on that hill.

You can hear Dudley's Band from miles away, they are brassy and loud just like NCA&TSU.

Last edited:
Grimsley absolutely pummeled Rolesville, I have no idea how they beat Butler
They had starters out it’s debatable how many. Hales said it was three but WR 4 who is their best player was out. Lawrence had three interceptions including a pick six add in a muffed punt which set up a short field for Rolesville. The defense actually played pretty well but the offense let them down.

Reactions: Ukcatz92
Apparently, He needs to look at some stats. They never lie.

Start here

2 kids is a drop in the bucket of what Grimsley has gotten. This doesn't change much...
Yeah but when you add (2) Power 5 D-1 players to an already very good defense it does matter. Girmsley always has a fresh 6'3" 300+ pound A/B gap defender on the field at all times.

I guess that’s my gripe with Grimsley, if they are going field that talented roster, they should be playing some out of state teams. I will give Hough credit for doing that.
Has Grimsley wen't out and got players over the last 4 years. Most likely. The amount that are coming now has nothing to do with the coaches. The biggest recruiters at a very good school are the players and their families.

Has Grimsley wen't out and got players over the last 4 years. Most likely. The amount that are coming now has nothing to do with the coaches. The biggest recruiters at a very good school are the players and their families.
And youth league coaches.

And youth league coaches.
When I was coaching youth football 7 years ago almost 100% of the push was into Dudley. This was from coaches and players.

Although playing for a perennial winner can be a draw for players, that also can bring increased competition for PT. More important, IMO, is the quality of coaching/teaching that enhances player growth and development.

Playing for good ol’ Central High is somewhat of a draw as well. For us old heads, school loyalty was foremost. Todays kids are different.

Hough, had the tougher schedule, that’s actually my worry for Grimsley this game. How do they react in a close game or a game they fall behind in. But they took out the entrie city of Charlotte last year when people had the same questions, and they have a better offense this year. Not to mention beat Tabor and Rolesville by a wide margin this year. I think the winner of this game wins the State Championship
My collogues, just remember that high school games are good but emotions from young adults are something that is a lottery. I believe these teams are a evenly match as we will make them. This game will come down to special teams and OC's. Everyone is not built for the big game and sometimes you have to call plays out of your comfort zone. Grimsley has always been a gap scheme team. Let's see if them run some different variations of them stuff to give Hough something to think about.

If they keep on winning, Butler may have something to say about that.

I think the winner loses to Weddington on the road. Hough/Grimsley is a west finals physical game type game, the winner then has to go on the road to a really good Weddington team. That’s pretty stiff road in my opinion.

Yeah but when you add (2) Power 5 D-1 players to an already very good defense it does matter. Girmsley always has a fresh 6'3" 300+ pound A/B gap defender on the field at all times.
I wasnt talking about it changing what we see on the field. It for sure will and has changed that.
When I said "It doesn't change much," I was referring to peoples perception of what Grimsley brings in every off season, and it "silencing some of the portal transfer talk" or "potty mouths" as RamKant called it. 2 kids in the grand scheme of what probably 30+ kids transferring in the past 4 years is a drop in the bucket.

It's sad, imo, that for any team... be it Page, Dudley, Grimsley, Whoever.. to be successful, they need to have an influx of kids come in to bolster their roster. I will never understand the logic of, "Our program is so great, but I guess not great enough because we need outside help to make us better." This isnt the NFL where you can draft guys or sign free agents, and its not College ball where you can just recruit. This is High School ball, you should be made to go to school where your district tells you. I am a big open enrollment hater too, I think it does more harm to Winston-Salem than good.

Last edited:
I wasnt talking about it changing what we see on the field. It for sure will and has changed that.
When I said "It doesn't change much," I was referring to peoples perception of what Grimsley brings in every off season, and it "silencing some of the portal transfer talk" or "potty mouths" as RamKant called it. 2 kids in the grand scheme of what probably 30+ kids transferring in the past 4 years is a drop in the bucket.

It's sad, imo, that for any team... be it Page, Dudley, Grimsley, Whoever.. to be successful, they need to have an influx of kids come in to bolster their roster. I will never understand the logic of, "Our program is so great, but I guess not great enough because we need outside help to make us better." This isnt the NFL where you can draft guys or sign free agents, and it’s not College ball where you can just recruit. This is High School ball, you should be made to go to school where your district tells you. I am a big open enrollment hater too, I think it does more harm to Winston-Salem than good.
Not a fan of school choice, I take it.

My reference was to the pun ‘portal potty’ mouth as a reference to port-a-potty used at concerts and construction sites.

Have a running total of Grimsley transfers over the years? Why are you so obsessed with the Whirlies? Have you filed a FOIA request with GCS athletics?

Reactions: PagePirates44
Not a fan of school choice, I take it.

My reference was to the pun ‘portal potty’ mouth as a reference to port-a-potty used at concerts and construction sites.

Have a running total of Grimsley transfers over the years? Why are you so obsessed with the Whirlies? Have you filed a FOIA request with GCS athletics?
Many people have lost count, its been A LOT. Obsessed with Grimsley? LOL wow okay, first time I've heard that before. I'm just obsessed with programs (that includes players, fans, parents, etc.) to do things the right way. The new GCS AD, that came over from Charlotte, is supposedly "looking into it." At this point though, I kind of doubt it.

Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand. Quite frankly, I'm sick of talking about the portal potty crap. I want it to go away.

It's sad, imo, that for any team... be it Page, Dudley, Grimsley, Whoever.. to be successful, they need to have an influx of kids come in to bolster their roster. I will never understand the logic of, "Our program is so great, but I guess not great enough because we need outside help to make us better." This isnt the NFL where you can draft guys or sign free agents, and its not College ball where you can just recruit. This is High School ball, you should be made to go to school where your district tells you. I am a big open enrollment hater too, I think it does more harm to Winston-Salem than good.
I agree with you and I am just going to piggy bank off you what you are speaking on now. For example when I was in Guilford county Northern G. had that same effect. I believe that every school has its time or should I say opportunity window. Southeast when through that same tenure. Winston Salem schools is broke. They have hidden agendas when it comes to recruiting and how the demographics are displayed. When I was in Forsyth county coaching there were several kids that are being targeted and it is just unfair for anyone to really build a program. Then when you do get a good group keeping them is nearly impossible due to the temptation. All the district has to do is one transfer or none unless you are moving into the district. but even with that being said schools like East Forsyth is getting transfers like there is not tomorrow. This past season they had 27 transfers,,,LOL and lost in 2nd round. These kids and parents don't understand loyalty. That is what is missing!

I know there are a lot of East Forsyth people on this message board, but that school could not ever win a conference title in the metro 4A when it was play in your district ball in football and basketball. Kernersville, NC is not an athletic hotbed. Open enrollment is the main reason East Forsyth is good (here they come) I’m sure they had a few good seasons and parlayed that into enticing players to come because of the coaching staff. But East side Winston and other Forsyth kids coming in made that program what it is today. Keenan Allen (pro-bowler), DJ reader (top 5 paid NFL DL), Travis Shaw (5 Star), all of the 4 star kids currently playing for Grimsley all were in district kids. Yes they have gotten transfers, but some of the best talent has been in district. Greensboro has put out crazy talent per capita over the years

Reactions: FootballThanos2023
Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand. Quite frankly, I'm sick of talking about the portal potty crap. I want it to go away.
We are all sick of you talking about it every week, seriously. It’s not going to change so it’s pointless to keep complaining about the same thing over and over. This goes for any county in the state.

But I still expect the same post next season every week.

We are all sick of you talking about it every week, seriously. It’s not going to change so it’s pointless to keep complaining about the same thing over and over. This goes for any county in the state.

But I still expect the same post next season every week.
people started talking about it on this thread before I did. Also I felt the need to reply to a certain post, which wouldnt have happened until then. So, its not just me. Also, Its not every week. For most of the season on here I didnt say anything about it. Its mostly in the summer when we find out who is portaling on twitter and during the playoffs when Hough plays Grimsley...... come on now.

people started talking about it on this thread before I did. Also I felt the need to reply to a certain post, which wouldnt have happened until then. So, its not just me. Also, Its not every week. For most of the season on here I didnt say anything about it. Its mostly in the summer when we find out who is portaling on twitter and during the playoffs when Hough plays Grimsley...... come on now.
New Era speaks my mind. Leave it alone, man. Also, you doxxed yourself in the district map.

Reactions: New3ra
Call me crazy, but I think we may see more HS transfer/portal action in the future. May even trickle up to college football. One day parents may even network and transfer jobs to find better opportunities.

I know there are a lot of East Forsyth people on this message board, but that school could not ever win a conference title in the metro 4A when it was play in your district ball in football and basketball. Kernersville, NC is not an athletic hotbed. Open enrollment is the main reason East Forsyth is good (here they come) I’m sure they had a few good seasons and parlayed that into enticing players to come because of the coaching staff. But East side Winston and other Forsyth kids coming in made that program what it is today. Keenan Allen (pro-bowler), DJ reader (top 5 paid NFL DL), Travis Shaw (5 Star), all of the 4 star kids currently playing for Grimsley all were in district kids. Yes they have gotten transfers, but some of the best talent has been in district. Greensboro has put out crazy talent per capita over the years
I might be showing my age here but Keenan Allen did not end his career at Grimsley. He started the Northern Guildford era. He only attended Grimsley his 9th grade year possibly 10th no more than that. I know this because I remember Coach Saunders telling me how he got the kid to Grimsley. Kernersville is not a separate entity of its own so I take everything from what it is. I have seen a lot of changes in the WSFCS school system. Winston has to many high schools. All of them with in a pretty close proximity. What people won't talk about is the NIL deals that some of these players are getting...LOL! I am fair and I am going to be honest about this. The open enrollment is hidden agenda to force kids and to pick up kids that is needed and not needed for which ever school they can or can't go to. I have seen a kid transfer to two different high schools in one semester. There are so many loop holes that we really don't know who coach really coach. I remember time that the talent and everyone had to play every Friday night because you knew it wasn't going to be a cake walk. Now, they're using burner phones calling you after the season and hiring coaches that don't even have a clue, but they have a network to the kids. I understand but the football Gods won't give you a pass for that.....LOL!

I find it fascinating. I am familiar with Charlotte football so to see Page who fielded some really good teams the past 10-13 years fall off and Grimsley (who wasn’t at that level) replace Page out of nowhere is still wild to me. From a ADMs standpoint Grimsley isn’t really that big the last time 4A was subdivided they were small 4A. I wonder what the numbers look like this year

We Just went over 2000 this last ADM cycle after being 1700-1800 for the last couple decades. Page, which was near 2200 has fallen off to the 1700s. Students and parents vote with their feet. Page has fallen off in academics and athletics.

Last edited:
Reactions: btango and ecu424
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT