ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley - 4th Round

He has to blame someone for Mallard Creek’s slippage.
you mad GIF
😂 😂 😂

I hope CVS in Cornelius has a good supply of puffs for Hough. Lost by a feild goal. LMAO!!!

Hats off to tough Hough squad. Played our wideouts man up and put 7-8 box to stuff the run. A big pass play to Taylor and 71 yard scamper by Summers. Hough responds with a who wants it more catch for a TD with a minute left. And then three epic OTs. Sad one team had to lose!

Go Whirlies!

I thought if you miss a FG passed the 20 the ball was spotted at the LOS.
Everyone was screaming about this in the stands. The referees where too involved in this game. But that has been every week in the playoffs.

I hope CVS in Cornelius has a good supply of puffs for Hough. Lost by a feild goal. LMAO!!!
They had chances...2 dropped TDs, a missed field goal, a muffed punt that lead to Grimsley's 1st momentum swing.

We are all happy, screw Hough and what we all know they do. GO GRIMSLEY!!
They had chances...2 dropped TDs, a missed field goal, a muffed punt that lead to Grimsley's 1st momentum swing.
It’s going to be a pretty boring and glamor free west final. Weddington won’t be much of a challenge. Will probably be New Bern and Grimsley in the title game.

Grimsley also muffed a punt leading to a score. One of the missed field goals was long even for wonder kicker. Depending on FG's is a deeply flawed game plan in the playoffs.

I believe that certain high schools are still competing that some people believed would fail. According to what I've read, Charlotte has the largest volume of talent. Other than the fact that the competition this season has been stronger than anticipated, is there a specific reason why there isn't a single Charlotte high school left in the fight?

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
I believe that certain high schools are still competing that some people believed would fail. According to what I've read, Charlotte has the largest volume of talent. Other than the fact that the competition this season has been stronger than anticipated, is there a specific reason why there isn't a single Charlotte high school left in the fight?
I think overall Charlotte football was down this season. The Reynolds wins over Chambers and Butler were definitely upsets leading to a lackluster west final with Weddington. Grimsley has made a good run, but even at that, after a 12 point win over Catholic, they had to hold on against Independence and squeaked by Huff in 3ot. For me this year, there were a number of good teams but no dominant team that had that “wow” factor; nothing like the Indy teams with coach Tom Knotts, the Butler teams with the LeMay brothers, Page with James Summers, Mallard Creek with coach Palmieri and QB James Smith and the three-peat Wake Forest teams or the Chambers teams of Aaron Brand. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see a Grimsley and New Bern final with New Bern winning it.

Last edited:
In many ways the Charlotte teams had a one dimensional game plans. Heavy on Run, Heavy on defense, to much dependence on Field Goals. When the plan doesn't work what do you fall back on?

Weddington is still in the area.

Reactions: LC3III
In many ways the Charlotte teams had a one dimensional game plans. Heavy on Run, Heavy on defense, to much dependence on Field Goals. When the plan doesn't work what do you fall back on?

Not a lot of similarities with Charlotte teams with game planning. Hough had arguably the #1 kicker in the Nation. You take what they give you. What program in America wouldn't depend on a guy like that?

Last edited:

Charlotte Catholic popped 30 on Grimsley, Independence 36 and Hough 37 in 3 OT. I don’t think they depended on field goals.

Charlotte Catholic popped 30 on Grimsley, Independence 36 and Hough 37 in 3 OT. I don’t think they depended on field goals.
True. Hough was up 16-15 with 4 mins left to go in regulation. Thats usually right where Hough was comfortable being and could seal it up with another FG and a defense that could lock it down. Then it turned into a shootout and all bets were off then. It felt like we watched 2 football games that night. The 2nd one didnt start until 2-3 mins left in regulation.

True. Hough was up 16-15 with 4 mins left to go in regulation. Thats usually right where Hough was comfortable being and could seal it up with another FG and a defense that could lock it down. Then it turned into a shootout and all bets were off then. It felt like we watched 2 football games that night. The 2nd one didnt start until 2-3 mins left in regulation.
I agree there. Also hopefully the officials who worked that game won't get another playoff game. They were not letting the kids for either team play which is awful, especially at that stage of the playoffs.

That was kind of a disjointed game with both offenses not getting going until late. Was not the most talented Hough offense we've seen, but still talented enough to not look as inept as they did at times imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhonda
Not a lot of similarities with Charlotte teams with game planning. Hough had arguably the #1 kicker in the Nation. You take what they give you. What program in America wouldn't depend on a guy like that?
Any program that can score touchdowns.

Kicker will be back next year too. Punter is gone. They'll lose a lot of production on offense. Line should be better, of course it should've been better this year. Best LB is a junior. Secondary has the potential to be really good.

Reactions: nepsy7
No, I thought you like kicking.
Gotta love a kid who can flip the field and kick 50+ yard field goals. He kicks every kickoff into the end zone. Kid had a 82 yard punt this year. Not a lot of them walking around like him, with Clemson and numerous power 5 offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Any program that can score touchdowns.
I forget which possession it was, but early in that game, Grimsley had the ball, 4th and long, right around the 35. That legit would've been right around FG range for Hough. You don't have to be a Hough fan to appreciate their kicking game as a huge asset. It's not that they set out to kick a bunch of FGs, but when their offense struggles, they can take points there, when it's not really a viable option for a lot of other teams.

I forget which possession it was, but early in that game, Grimsley had the ball, 4th and long, right around the 35. That legit would've been right around FG range for Hough. You don't have to be a Hough fan to appreciate their kicking game as a huge asset. It's not that they set out to kick a bunch of FGs, but when their offense struggles, they can take points there, when it's not really a viable option for a lot of other teams.
Hough scored 1 TD and 6 field goals against us, in 2 games. There kicker was the difference.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Gotta love a kid who can flip the field and kick 50+ yard field goals. He kicks every kickoff into the end zone. Kid had a 82 yard punt this year. Not a lot of them walking around like him, with Clemson and numerous power 5 offers.
He didn't kick every kickoff into the endzone. I watched 4 returns at a minimum. On 4th down Grimsley throws a pass for a touchdown into the corner. My point is being satisfied with 3 points will get your team into trouble in the playoffs. I'm just sick of all the Charlotte centric people here. Outside of Weddington Charlotte is done in the playoffs. DONE! Win or Die no extra points for looking inpressive.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT