ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Medlin Steps Down @ Forestview

SPRedRaider

Aug 2, 2004
superraiders.com
There had been rumors this season would be the last for Chris Medlin @ Forestview and the Gaston Gazette reported his departure today online. Don't be surprised to see him on the SP sidelines next year calling the defense.

Reactions: Babyhewey
FV isn't exactly known for their defense over the last....well - ever.
I suppose he knows some defense. That would be an interesting move.

Heard last year was his last but heard the same thing about the move to sp for the dc job. Heard andrews was done after last season as well, guess they talked him into 1 more season to be on the west staff for the east/west game thos year.

I spoke with a coach in Gaston County recently who told me how little coaches are paid in Gaston County. The pay is very poor even by North Carolina standards.

It would be hard for a teacher/coach in the district to live in the area where they work with such low pay.

I spoke with a coach in Gaston County recently who told me how little coaches are paid in Gaston County. The pay is very poor even by North Carolina standards.

It would be hard for a teacher/coach in the district to live in the area where they work with such low pay.
Most don’t do it for the money.

Reactions: DeBoer31
That’s obvious, but it’s also a convenient excuse for school districts justifying the low pay for teachers and coaches. Maybe if the school district leaders cared more about the students, they would pay salaries that would attract and retain the best teachers and coaches.
Regarding teachers....agree.
Regarding coaches......there have been some in NC that have been lights out good for 40-50 years. Obviously there are plenty of examples of guys who aren't/weren't great at the job....but take into account:
NC High Schools are built different than a lot of states around us. Most counties in NC have adequate schooling for the community. We have a lot of schools....maybe it's a philosophy of having less students/teacher ratio - I don't know. That certainly can negatively impact a football program, though.
Whereas in SC and GA (for example) they have more bigger schools in relation. I know GA population is similar to NC, and SC is just over half of NC.....but the resources at these schools and student population make it easier to "coach" football let's say.

So, maybe it's not our NC coaches that aren't great; maybe it's the NC 1-4a HS football system that is in place. I know in Gaston County we have a BUNCH of High Schools....and most are under 1,000 students. Contrast that to upstate SC or even Cleveland County.
So- a different way of looking at this is...if you're not one of 5-6 names in the last 15 years as a HC in SC that has won or been to multiple State Championships..... then maybe all those other coaches aren't the best around.

Regarding teachers....agree.
Regarding coaches......there have been some in NC that have been lights out good for 40-50 years. Obviously there are plenty of examples of guys who aren't/weren't great at the job....but take into account:
NC High Schools are built different than a lot of states around us. Most counties in NC have adequate schooling for the community. We have a lot of schools....maybe it's a philosophy of having less students/teacher ratio - I don't know. That certainly can negatively impact a football program, though.
Whereas in SC and GA (for example) they have more bigger schools in relation. I know GA population is similar to NC, and SC is just over half of NC.....but the resources at these schools and student population make it easier to "coach" football let's say.

So, maybe it's not our NC coaches that aren't great; maybe it's the NC 1-4a HS football system that is in place. I know in Gaston County we have a BUNCH of High Schools....and most are under 1,000 students. Contrast that to upstate SC or even Cleveland County.
So- a different way of looking at this is...if you're not one of 5-6 names in the last 15 years as a HC in SC that has won or been to multiple State Championships..... then maybe all those other coaches aren't the best around.
Regarding quality of coaches, NC also has a rule in place. The only way a non teacher/school employee can have a head coaching position in any sport is if no teacher/school employee wants the job. So in some cases, smaller towns and counties that dont have the draw to the job. You have coaches that basically arent qualified getting a job over more qualified coaches just because they are teachers.

Say no coach that's a teacher puts in for Forestview and they come down to their o-line coach (using him bc i know he's not a staff member) from what has been told to me by an AD is that if they had just a random teacher that wanted the HC job, they had to give it to the teacher even though the non staff coach is more qualified. Now you wont see that in football basketball and baseball in most of the bigger areas. But you do see it in the smaller sports here in gaston county.

The same thing happened to my daught-in-law 3 or 4 years ago she was the head volleyball coach in town at a local hs here and was not a teacher at the time, over the summer a new teacher started never played or coached before and she wanted volleyball and the school had to give it to her bc my daughter-in-law wasnt on staff.

• Wow
Reactions: beamer24
Regarding quality of coaches, NC also has a rule in place. The only way a non teacher/school employee can have a head coaching position in any sport is if no teacher/school employee wants the job. So in some cases, smaller towns and counties that dont have the draw to the job. You have coaches that basically arent qualified getting a job over more qualified coaches just because they are teachers.

Say no coach that's a teacher puts in for Forestview and they come down to their o-line coach (using him bc i know he's not a staff member) from what has been told to me by an AD is that if they had just a random teacher that wanted the HC job, they had to give it to the teacher even though the non staff coach is more qualified. Now you wont see that in football basketball and baseball in most of the bigger areas. But you do see it in the smaller sports here in gaston county.

The same thing happened to my daught-in-law 3 or 4 years ago she was the head volleyball coach in town at a local hs here and was not a teacher at the time, over the summer a new teacher started never played or coached before and she wanted volleyball and the school had to give it to her bc my daughter-in-law wasnt on staff.
that is a retarded rule

Well it should be like that. HS sports isn't a business to anybody EXCEPT the HSs and org. that supports them....although many would like for it to be a business. That's the setup.
I don't agree with all these "expert" coaches in the stands. If you played (at any levels..... Pro down to Pop Warner) it doesn't make you a coach. I've seen some of these community types who b#tch and complain about these HS Football jobs. If the guy wanting to HC a HS football team can't hold a job doing anything else, then he doesn't need to be in charge of that many kids. Thinking and wanting to be able to be an expert coach and actually being one are worlds apart. Everybody thinks they can do the job...few can. If these experts want to try it... York Chester and Berry Academy are always looking for help.

You're kinda contradictory regarding football HC jobs and other sports. In your example of your daughter in law....that's what should happen. The teacher (the one in the halls, making sure the student is a student first, and doing the right things during the day) should get the job. Fantasy football and adult league sports exist for all those unqualified "in the stands" coaches to show their expertise.

Well it should be like that. HS sports isn't a business to anybody EXCEPT the HSs and org. that supports them....although many would like for it to be a business. That's the setup.
I don't agree with all these "expert" coaches in the stands. If you played (at any levels..... Pro down to Pop Warner) it doesn't make you a coach. I've seen some of these community types who b#tch and complain about these HS Football jobs. If the guy wanting to HC a HS football team can't hold a job doing anything else, then he doesn't need to be in charge of that many kids. Thinking and wanting to be able to be an expert coach and actually being one are worlds apart. Everybody thinks they can do the job...few can. If these experts want to try it... York Chester and Berry Academy are always looking for help.

You're kinda contradictory regarding football HC jobs and other sports. In your example of your daughter in law....that's what should happen. The teacher (the one in the halls, making sure the student is a student first, and doing the right things during the day) should get the job. Fantasy football and adult league sports exist for all those unqualified "in the stands" coaches to show their expertise.
I was just using her as an example. I completely agree to a point that hs sports aren't a business and coaches should be teachers first. But at the same time I have a problem with them being able to come in with no experience in the sport at all and taking it over. Idk what the answer is to fix that but in the lesser sports that this happens more regularly in, at some point teaching the sport also needs to come into play. Some of these teachers pick up these sports that needs a coach just to get that extra little bit of cash and dont put effort into learning and teaching the sport they are supposed to be coaching.
But i also believe that on the field results dont always reflect a bad coach. Just because you havent won championship doesn't mean you arent a great coach. How many players finished school under you? how many did you keep out of the street? How many did you help send to college whether it be for the sport or on academics?

Reactions: beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT