ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback Reminder: Reidsville 34 Clinton 33 2A East Regionals 1998

TheMule

Feb 5, 2003
Lenox Castle, NC
Just so the DarkHorses and their fans don't keep on counting those titles before they hatch:

Clinton came to Community Stadium as the two time defending 2-A State Champions on a 20 game winning streak and featuring a loaded team highlighted by super stars RB Willie Parker ( UNC and Pittsburg) and QB Bryan Peterson (NC State).

After the game, Slim L. (Mule) Pigskin IV wrote in his Reidsville Review column: 'And there was the distinguished and esteemed Clark Mason Holt, barrister deluxe, desperately calling "Fumble Play, Fumble Play". And here was a normally reserved and all quite proper lady whose name shall be mercifully withheld constantly shrieking "Stop them, Stop them." And Joe McKinney was turning a little pale. And the Mule was his normal calm, cool, and collected self. Meanwhile the powerful Clinton Dark Horses were marching steadily through the Rams defense like Sherman marched through Georgia. Egads!'

'But, Georgia survived and prospered. And so too have the Reidsville Rams survived and conquered. And there is no joy in Clinnonville ( as oldtimers pronounce it). Hee, hee. For the mighty Dark Ponies have fumbled and (failed) kicked themselves back home. How glorious it was!"

The Reidsville passing combo of QB Josh Duncan to WR Isaiah Robinson was so prolific that Robinson earned an offer to play for the Tar Heels after several Carolina coaches were on hand at the game because of Parker. Now, Grayson Robinson, Isaiah's son, plays for the Rams and caught a TD pass at N. Forsyth this year.

The following week an overconfident Reidsville team went down to Tarboro and was thoroughly demolished.

Two favored teams put games in the win column before the games were played and got to watch the state championship game in 1998 from their homes.

Just a little history lesson for those who want to order the rings before the season is even half over.

Just so the DarkHorses and their fans don't keep on counting those titles before they hatch:

Clinton came to Community Stadium as the two time defending 2-A State Champions on a 20 game winning streak and featuring a loaded team highlighted by super stars RB Willie Parker ( UNC and Pittsburg) and QB Bryan Peterson (NC State).

After the game, Slim L. (Mule) Pigskin IV wrote in his Reidsville Review column: 'And there was the distinguished and esteemed Clark Mason Holt, barrister deluxe, desperately calling "Fumble Play, Fumble Play". And here was a normally reserved and all quite proper lady whose name shall be mercifully withheld constantly shrieking "Stop them, Stop them." And Joe McKinney was turning a little pale. And the Mule was his normal calm, cool, and collected self. Meanwhile the powerful Clinton Dark Horses were marching steadily through the Rams defense like Sherman marched through Georgia. Egads!'

'But, Georgia survived and prospered. And so too have the Reidsville Rams survived and conquered. And there is no joy in Clinnonville ( as oldtimers pronounce it). Hee, hee. For the mighty Dark Ponies have fumbled and (failed) kicked themselves back home. How glorious it was!"

The Reidsville passing combo of QB Josh Duncan to WR Isaiah Robinson was so prolific that Robinson earned an offer to play for the Tar Heels after several Carolina coaches were on hand at the game because of Parker. Now, Grayson Robinson, Isaiah's son, plays for the Rams and caught a TD pass at N. Forsyth this year.

The following week an overconfident Reidsville team went down to Tarboro and was thoroughly demolished.

Two favored teams put games in the win column before the games were played and got to watch the state championship game in 1998 from their homes.

Just a little history lesson for those who want to order the rings before the season is even half over.
I haven't seen a poster from clinton fan saying we was gonna win it all just stating how good the team is.

Remember that game very well. The DarkHorses defeated themselves, The Greensboro News and Record reporter said in the press box that the missed extra point ( had kicked 56 straight) was too close to call no good, but that being said the Horses fumbling I think 3 times in the scoring zone was the reason for the loss. Willie Parker in that game had his largest rushing game, I think it was 256 yards.After Reidsvilke loss to SWE , SWE lost to Shelby in the state title game. Clinton had beaten Shelby the year prior for the state title.
Yes you should never count your chickens before they hatc, question, has Reidsvilke fans ever anticipated a championship; did they think the Rams would win last year or is it just Clinton fans that should get lectured to for anticipating; it’s a problem and when they lose the opposing fans get all giddy. Hey I’m not going to apologize predicting a championship. DarkHorse fans that are old enough remember 1998 very well

Remember that game very well. The DarkHorses defeated themselves, The Greensboro News and Record reporter said in the press box that the missed extra point ( had kicked 56 straight) was too close to call no good, but that being said the Horses fumbling I think 3 times in the scoring zone was the reason for the loss. Willie Parker in that game had his largest rushing game, I think it was 256 yards.After Reidsvilke loss to SWE , SWE lost to Shelby in the state title game. Clinton had beaten Shelby the year prior for the state title.
Yes you should never count your chickens before they hatc, question, has Reidsvilke fans ever anticipated a championship; did they think the Rams would win last year or is it just Clinton fans that should get lectured to for anticipating; it’s a problem and when they lose the opposing fans get all giddy. Hey I’m not going to apologize predicting a championship. DarkHorse fans that are old enough remember 1998 very well
I’m not even a Clinton fan but there’s nothing wrong Wiz or any of the Darkhorse faithful predicting a championship. I can assure you that not one poster from Reidsville ever would’ve thought they’d lose to East Duplin last season. Wiz you shouldn’t apologize to anyone. Those Darkhorses are for real and are the clear favorite to win it all. Heck yall don’t even care about that N’oreaster that’s headed to Sampson County 😃

I love you wiz, you have much more knowledge than I’ll ever have but Tarboro went on to beat the rams, then lost to Shelby

Reidsville has played SWE in the playoffs in 2009 and Rams won...the only time the two have played....Reidsville and Clinton have only played each in that 1998 season...Reidsville has only played Tarboro twice...1998 East Regional Finals with Tarboro winning and in 2000, first round of playoffs and Reidsville won at Tarboro...............

Wait grayson is Isiah robinsons son?

Reidsville has played SWE in the playoffs in 2009 and Rams won...the only time the two have played....Reidsville and Clinton have only played each in that 1998 season...Reidsville has only played Tarboro twice...1998 East Regional Finals with Tarboro winning and in 2000, first round of playoffs and Reidsville won at Tarboro...............
I don’t know why I said SWE but I knew it was somebody down East the next week. The other thing we Clinton fans couldn’t understand was why were we playing Reidsvilke in Reidsville? Back to back state champions, ranked #1 in the state and as Mule said had won 20 in a row, why were the Horses on the road in an eastern semi-final? Maybe that was in the predetermined seeding days, I don’t know. Oh well gave me the chance to spend the night at my Mother’s in Burlington after the game. Another thing I remember about that game I was helping on the radio broadcast cast and the had one fine hospitality spread up there.in the press box I thinkthere was a Short Sugars pork loin up there 😃

Wiz...yo answer your question...that was the time when a team would inherit a higher seeded teams seed if they beat them.....pretty sure South Columbus was #1 seed in the East that year and Reidsville beat them rather handily the week before the Rams played Clinton in Reidsville..................

The 1998 game saw me coin a new phrase. We have all heard the phrase “who wanted it the most.” After the many mistakes by both teams , it came down to “who didn’t want it the least.”

My ‘heart’ wants it to be Rams/Horses in December. My doctor will tell you my blood pumper doesn’t need that to happen.

Wiz, how are the 50/50 sales going? I have four tickets in it.

The 1998 game saw me coin a new phrase. We have all heard the phrase “who wanted it the most.” After the many mistakes by both teams , it came down to “who didn’t want it the least.”

My ‘heart’ wants it to be Rams/Horses in December. My doctor will tell you my blood pumper doesn’t need that to happen.

Wiz, how are the 50/50 sales going? I have four tickets in it.
I’ve heard they’re going pretty good. Somebody’s going to win a nice pre-ChristmS present!

Only thing worse than the “assume the seed” was when the nchsaa had that bogus top line/bottom line mess had the Rams undefeated at West Brunswick.
The association at one time had the crazy rule of if you beat a higher seeded team you inherited the seed. Sounded good but so unfair to teams that spent the entire season earning their seed

I don’t know why I said SWE but I knew it was somebody down East the next week. The other thing we Clinton fans couldn’t understand was why were we playing Reidsvilke in Reidsville? Back to back state champions, ranked #1 in the state and as Mule said had won 20 in a row, why were the Horses on the road in an eastern semi-final? Maybe that was in the predetermined seeding days, I don’t know. Oh well gave me the chance to spend the night at my Mother’s in Burlington after the game. Another thing I remember about that game I was helping on the radio broadcast cast and the had one fine hospitality spread up there.in the press box I thinkthere was a Short Sugars pork loin up there 😃
Probably the mean ole NCHSAA conspiring against the mighty Horses again.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC1980Swo
Maybe one day the rubber match can happen. I'd love to see it

Only thing worse than the “assume the seed” was when the nchsaa had that bogus top line/bottom line mess had the Rams undefeated at West Brunswick.

That game was doomed no matter the location. Wild player stories. Coaches not exchanging film. Bad lighting. That stinking Wing T. Stagnant Rams offense.

That game was doomed no matter the location. Wild player stories. Coaches not exchanging film. Bad lighting. That stinking Wing T. Stagnant Rams offense.
One of my friends lost a shoe in the mud at SW Edgecomb on the way out and we had to go back and find it. Could be a couple of players never made it out of that swamp.

The 2009 Watering was more like a flooded field that was underwater for several days.

• Haha
One of my friends lost a shoe in the mud at SW Edgecomb on the way out and we had to go back and find it. Could be a couple of players never made it out of that swamp.

The 2009 Watering was more like a flooded field that was underwater for several days.

That was one game I didn't get to see unfortunately.

I was actually talking about that playoff loss to West Brunswick back in 1993.

In all seriousness It looks like your program is doing a lot better so I know your happy. They will be a tough out for anyone come playoffs
It's great to have something to cheer about again. 7-3 regular season looks obtainable. I think we win out with the exception of West Craven. They may be 3-3, but those three losses come from two defending state champions in E. Duplin and New Bern, and Havelock. Anybody would come out of that with three losses. That's 15-1 combined. Our 2 losses come at the hands of Nash Central and Tarboro (9-1 combined), but I still don't think we're ready for West Craven. It's a good story, but we're not a threat in the east just yet. Out of 101 2A teams, we've scored the 14th most points in the state, but conversely, we've allowed the 30th most. That's not gonna get us anywhere. The east belongs to Clinton, Northeastern, or East Duplin. I have no idea why people are just giving it to Clinton and forgetting about the defending champs. I actually think a darkhorse (no pun intended Clinton) is Farmville Central. I gave them a hard time before, but their offense can light it up fast! I think you'll have to score over 40 to beat them.

It's great to have something to cheer about again. 7-3 regular season looks obtainable. I think we win out with the exception of West Craven. They may be 3-3, but those three losses come from two defending state champions in E. Duplin and New Bern, and Havelock. Anybody would come out of that with three losses. That's 15-1 combined. Our 2 losses come at the hands of Nash Central and Tarboro (9-1 combined), but I still don't think we're ready for West Craven. It's a good story, but we're not a threat in the east just yet. Out of 101 2A teams, we've scored the 14th most points in the state, but conversely, we've allowed the 30th most. That's not gonna get us anywhere. The east belongs to Clinton, Northeastern, or East Duplin. I have no idea why people are just giving it to Clinton and forgetting about the defending champs. I actually think a darkhorse (no pun intended Clinton) is Farmville Central. I gave them a hard time before, but their offense can light it up fast! I think you'll have to score over 40 to beat them.
It’s set up good for you. We play you the last game at SWE eerrr I mean “The Swamp”. I’ll be sure to wear my boots! Lol

Because that is what I wanted to talk about.

You didn't miss much at the West Brunswick game. Na Brown was hurt and he was about all we had. We missed an early field goal but that was about the limit of our offense.

You should eat more blueberries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT