ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Ref Call Stories!

Ooooner

Apr 12, 2006
Concord, North Carolina
I'll start.... I actually saw an extra point kick that was right down the middle of the goal posts. The ref waved it off because it was too high! This was an actual high school football game around 1970 or 71... WTF?

How about 2011 Reidsville vs Kinston. Kinston throws a Hail mary to send them to the state championship, which no one from Reidsville thinks the dude caught. Rams would have went to states vs West Stokes.

Reactions: ReidsvilleRam90
Yeah, I dont know what it is about Kinston but they seem to get some questionable td calls. Last year first game of the season against Farmville a Kinston receiver got 2 fingers on the ball in the back if the endzone over his head and ref called it a TD. I just sat there jaw dropped. Farmville could have ended their perfect regular season before it started if not for that call which would have been a big win for that horrid program. Lol sometimes I wonder what effect bookies and gamblers have on the officials for Kinston(jk). All I know is it was clearly not a td the receiver barely even slowed the ball down going through the back of the endzone with 2 fingers. Lol

2015 Eastern 2AA Championship game Bunn vs Clinton; at Bunn who was trailing in the game with no timeouts in the game they were attempting to get in field goal range. Time expired on a Bunn rushing play for no gain, and the official put additional time on the clock to allow them to kick the winning field goal. The clock should have never stopped and it did not as time expired. It wasn't even close folks as time expired. The association issued a letter of apology. Do you know how many championships a letter of apology will get you ?????

Yeah, I dont know what it is about Kinston but they seem to get some questionable td calls. Last year first game of the season against Farmville a Kinston receiver got 2 fingers on the ball in the back if the endzone over his head and ref called it a TD. I just sat there jaw dropped. Farmville could have ended their perfect regular season before it started if not for that call which would have been a big win for that horrid program. Lol sometimes I wonder what effect bookies and gamblers have on the officials for Kinston(jk). All I know is it was clearly not a td the receiver barely even slowed the ball down going through the back of the endzone with 2 fingers. Lol

He caught the ball, came down, turned and went to the ground before the ball came out.

He caught the ball, came down, turned and went to the ground before the ball came out.
The ball was passed him by 4 yards before he ever made it to the ground. He was as shocked as anyone the ref called it a td. It was a terrible call in a meaningless game. I've seen incomplete called on a heck of alot better so called catches than that.

Last edited:
Just to piggyback on what Wiz said that 2015 Eastern Championship game at Bunn i was standing on the sideline we are literally watching the clock run down as Bunn offense trys to hurry to the line to spike not only did the clock hit 0:00 before the spike was executed but also not all of the Bunn players were set when they snapped the ball which would of been a procedure penalty anyway......guess lesson from that is dont leave the game in the hands of the zebras Clinton had a chance to punch in a TD on the previous drive and had to settle for 3....sucks it happen we had a great group of seniors that didnt deserve that and of course the NCHSAA and their apology letter was a slap in the face and just further proof the refs F'd up....till this day haven't read a article or watched replay of that game....makes me sick

Yes, the kinston game vs reidsville was by far the worst. The ball bounced off the ground. A recievers just grabbed it in disgust, started to comfort his teammate then refs huddle and say TD while another ref signals incomplete. Cost rams yet another state title no doubt.

Just to piggyback on what Wiz said that 2015 Eastern Championship game at Bunn i was standing on the sideline we are literally watching the clock run down as Bunn offense trys to hurry to the line to spike not only did the clock hit 0:00 before the spike was executed but also not all of the Bunn players were set when they snapped the ball which would of been a procedure penalty anyway......guess lesson from that is dont leave the game in the hands of the zebras Clinton had a chance to punch in a TD on the previous drive and had to settle for 3....sucks it happen we had a great group of seniors that didnt deserve that and of course the NCHSAA and their apology letter was a slap in the face and just further proof the refs F'd up....till this day haven't read a article or watched replay of that game....makes me sick

That was a bad one!

The Conley vs Northeastern game this year, receiver for Conley was credited for a long receiption the ball clearly bounced off the turf right in front of the official. Official calls it a completion only to get embarrassed later on WITN 7 endzone. They had the camera right there! Lol
https://www.witn.com/content/sports/Monday-night-high-school-football-scores-558382861.html
I watched that...the ref was literally right there....terrible call...but at least it was in a opening game, not a regional final as the 2011 game Reidsville versus Kinston game with the no catch on the last play of the game...….

Reactions: bud33345
I watched that...the ref was literally right there....terrible call...but at least it was in a opening game, not a regional final as the 2011 game Reidsville versus Kinston game with the no catch on the last play of the game...….
I was sitting on the opposite field and saw the ball hit the ground. This is just one of countless examples of officiating for Pitt county teams. I also agree, there is nothing worse than getting calls like that in the playoffs. They are all bad calls. Just funny how this particular one has clear video footage of what happened. I know officiating is a thankless job and they don't get paid enough in my opinion. Calls like this one make you wonder if the income is not supplemented. Lol

Pisgah at Robbinsville about 5 years ago.
Refs threw around 45 flags

Wiz, help me out of the year but in like 2000 or so a missed PAT in Double OT vs W. Alamance that everyone swears was good.

easily the 2004 state championship game WRH lost to Thomasville after the officials ruled our RB fumbled the ball when replays that were shown clearly showed he knee down and actually drug before ball came out. The Thomasville kis scooped it up and ran in for game winning TD.

Me too 34, one of the only games ever I thought was taken away from us. That team had played in the state championship game the year before 2014, and this was certainly their year for another try. I will say this on the play before our field goal attempt, our qb ran out of bounds stopping the clock, we had time outs and if he had just gotten down and run the clock down to our field goal it could have been a walk off FG but who knows they may have put some more time on the clock then too. I know this the clock went to 0:00 and there was no way they could have had time for everyone to get set and spike it. It just didn’t happen within the allotted time.. I hate it we even revisited it here.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Wiz, help me out of the year but in like 2000 or so a missed PAT in Double OT vs W. Alamance that everyone swears was good.
Yes you’re correct 04, and then in 1998 at Reidsville they ruled our kicker who had set a record for consecutive extra points, missed a ep. I was helping g with the radio broadcast for that game and afterwards the sportswriter for the Greensboro News andRecord came to the press box to use a telephone line to send his story to his office. He said the ep in question was directly over the right upright. If good the game would have been tied. He said the kick was definitely too close to decide the game and he would have ruled it good. That team with Willie Parker, Brian Peterson and James Faison was #1 in the state, undefeated and defending back to back state champions. If the had won they would have eventually faced Shelby (without Hopper) who they had beaten the year before for the state championship. Now for one of the enjoyable aspects of that game, in the press box Reidsville treated the media to a bbq pork roast (from ShirtSugars #2) and a pig picking cake. It was heavenly!

The ball was passed him by 4 yards before he ever made it to the ground. He was as shocked as anyone the ref called it a td. It was a terrible call in a meaningless game. I've seen incomplete called on a heck of alot better so called catches than that.

The ball came out, but it was after he caught it, came down and went to the ground in the end zone.

The ball came out, but it was after he caught it, came down and went to the ground in the end zone.
Ball came out cuz he never had it and never caught it. He may have got 2 hands on it but that's about all the credit he will get from me and I was a impartial observer.

Ball came out cuz he never had it and never caught it. He may have got 2 hands on it but that's about all the credit he will get from me and I was a impartial observer.

you said he didnt get two fingers on it. The FACT is, because i watched it two minutes ago, that he caught it, came down, turned toward the endzone when he was brought to the ground, After coming to the ground, the ball came out. Whether that "completed the catch" is a matter of perspective. But the idea that it "went straight through his hands" or "was out before he hit the ground" is at best a shotty memory and at worst a downright fabrication.

you said he didnt get two fingers on it. The FACT is, because i watched it two minutes ago, that he caught it, came down, turned toward the endzone when he was brought to the ground, After coming to the ground, the ball came out. Whether that "completed the catch" is a matter of perspective. But the idea that it "went straight through his hands" or "was out before he hit the ground" is at best a shotty memory and at worst a downright fabrication.
The fabrication is counting it as TD to begin with. It's a terrible call period. He never secured the ball, never had the ball, the ball squirted through the endzone which further proves it was a dropped pass by any definition you want to perceive it as.

The fabrication is counting it as TD to begin with. It's a terrible call period. He never secured the ball, never had the ball, the ball squirted through the endzone which further proves it was a dropped pass by any definition you want to perceive it as.

he had the ball in his hands, came back to the ground, then got hit in the endzone, went all the way to the ground and then the ball came out. If they had replay they might overturn in slow motion, but live its a 50/50 call.

in fact watching it on film, slowing it down, he catches the ball, comes down, towards and dives toward endzone, his knee hits, the ball is in his possession, he lands on the ground and when the FC player jumps on him the ball comes out. TD.

easily the 2004 state championship game WRH lost to Thomasville after the officials ruled our RB fumbled the ball when replays that were shown clearly showed he knee down and actually drug before ball came out. The Thomasville kis scooped it up and ran in for game winning TD.
Less than 2 min left when that happened. All we had to do was take a couple knees. I was running to my car in the carter-finley parking lot pumpin my fist when i heard the loud speaker say "td Thomasville" saw the video the next day. Robbery. Cost us another state championship

Reactions: dogs79
in fact watching it on film, slowing it down, he catches the ball, comes down, towards and dives toward endzone, his knee hits, the ball is in his possession, he lands on the ground and when the FC player jumps on him the ball comes out. TD.
Lol nope. But if you want to defend that call than okay. Lol I don’t really care. I will say that terrible call broke the back of a already struggling program. If the call was correct FC would have made the playoffs, would have had some confidence going into this year, probably the coach would have stayed, and the football program as a whole wouldn’t be the complete and utter dumpster fire that it is because of that ridiculous call. If you want to defend that and tell yourself the right call was made you do that. It’s pretty sad, in no football universe is that considered a catch.

Even the way big blue says it, it sounds like an incomplete pass. Kind of like Dez Bryant's non catch. Gota hang on to the ball and hand it to ref.

Even the way big blue says it, it sounds like an incomplete pass. Kind of like Dez Bryant's non catch. Gota hang on to the ball and hand it to ref.
Yeah funny thing is he never made it to the ground he got 2 hands on it and it farted out the back of the end zone nearly the same speed it was thrown. Big blue acts like John Madden was there with a clicker drawing all over the screen. Lol he has been looking at it all day trying to convince himself it was a catch is the sad part.

Lol nope. But if you want to defend that call than okay. Lol I don’t really care. I will say that terrible call broke the back of a already struggling program. If the call was correct FC would have made the playoffs, would have had some confidence going into this year, probably the coach would have stayed, and the football program as a whole wouldn’t be the complete and utter dumpster fire that it is because of that ridiculous call. If you want to defend that and tell yourself the right call was made you do that. It’s pretty sad, in no football universe is that considered a catch.
I wouldn't say that catch broke our backs. I would say losing Everett to injury hurt us. When he got hurt we were up 17-7 in that game. He was our rock on defense and helped our offense move the ball. He played sparingly the rest of the season. When you lose a key piece of both your offense and defense in the opener, that is a back breaker. Honestly, i don't think Gardner stays. And if he would have i think it would have been because his son is still the kicker.

I wouldn't say that catch broke our backs. I would say losing Everett to injury hurt us. When he got hurt we were up 17-7 in that game. He was our rock on defense and helped our offense move the ball. He played sparingly the rest of the season. When you lose a key piece of both your offense and defense in the opener, that is a back breaker. Honestly, i don't think Gardner stays. And if he would have i think it would have been because his son is still the kicker.
Y’all had all the momentum up until that point. When Everett got hurt very early on that offensive play it hurt but not as bad as that call was. It took the sails out of the defense and the offense and put those guys in a funk all season it seemed. I know there was a lot of excitement about that team especially after what the jv did the prior season.

Last edited:
1:11 to be exact when we forced a turnover on downs. they had all 3 timeouts left. I would have loved to see us punt it away with only a few 2nds left. terrible call either way. they actually stopped showing replays after this game for a few years.

Reactions: dogs79
Y’all had all the momentum up until that point. When Everett got hurt very early on that offensive play it hurt but not as bad as that call was. It took the sails out of the defense and the offense and put those guys in a funk all season it seemed. I know there was a lot of excitement about that team especially after what the jv did the prior season.
Everett got hurt in the 2nd quarter if i recall. Handoff underneath and he got rolled up on. Losing him took a key piece out of everyones gameplan leaving a hole in the defense. We had trouble stopping teams the rest of the year but don't necessarily think it hurt our offense that much. Honestly, looking back on it, with the athletes we had Everett shouldn't have been running the ball at all. He was a target for opposing defenses.

You are 100 percent correct that the program is a complete disaster now. Fights in the locker rooms leading to suspensions, and it seems as if the the coach gave up on the team after the first week. Haven't been competitive all year. I knew it was going to be a long year when we let NL come and put 40 points up on us.

Wiz, may need your help again. But didn’t East Bladen in a playoff games years ago either lose or win a game because someone intercepted a pass tried to take it out of the end zone, fumbled and other team recovered and won but the issue was the player showed intentions to leave the end zone but never made it out, therefore many thought it should’ve been a Touchback. Forgive me for being vague I could be wrong about the teams.

Reactions: Wizard of the East

my original comment was in response to your asinine post that he only got two fingers on it and didnt even slow the ball down on the way through the back of the end zone. I even said its a matter of perspective and can be interpreted in different ways, as far as him losing possession on the ground. But the fact is, and it is a fact i literally watched it again right before typing this, is that the ball was in his possession, he came down and turned and dove into the endzone with the ball. It didnt come out until the farmville player landed on him. I can see how referees might call it either way, but the idea that it was a blatant incompletion, that he "got two fingers on" is a complete and total lie.

Everett got hurt in the 2nd quarter if i recall. Handoff underneath and he got rolled up on. Losing him took a key piece out of everyones gameplan leaving a hole in the defense. We had trouble stopping teams the rest of the year but don't necessarily think it hurt our offense that much. Honestly, looking back on it, with the athletes we had Everett shouldn't have been running the ball at all. He was a target for opposing defenses.

You are 100 percent correct that the program is a complete disaster now. Fights in the locker rooms leading to suspensions, and it seems as if the the coach gave up on the team after the first week. Haven't been competitive all year. I knew it was going to be a long year when we let NL come and put 40 points up on us.
I saw alot of red flags after the Ayden game last year that told me this was inevitable. Confirmed even more by some actions in the off season that I don't feel I should discuss here to derail this thread. I thought about starting my own thread about the topics but didn't think anyone around preps would be interested in what I found. Let's just say it goes alot deeper than the coaches and Garner, I came to the conclusion, tried his best to leave the program in good hands

everett was a solid player. Was a nightmare at TE, sealing the edge in that run game.

my original comment was in response to your asinine post that he only got two fingers on it and didnt even slow the ball down on the way through the back of the end zone. I even said its a matter of perspective and can be interpreted in different ways, as far as him losing possession on the ground. But the fact is, and it is a fact i literally watched it again right before typing this, is that the ball was in his possession, he came down and turned and dove into the endzone with the ball. It didnt come out until the farmville player landed on him. I can see how referees might call it either way, but the idea that it was a blatant incompletion, that he "got two fingers on" is a complete and total lie.
Let it go dude. It wasn't a catch. But we appreciate your detective work and your slow mo zoom in camera work to then describe to us, that after all, that it still wasnt a catch. Now go wash your car in the rain and have a nice day.

look at this... "got two fingers on the ball". It was in both hands, not moving, clear on camera. It might have been a bad call, but it wasnt as cut and dry as you made it on here. There have been far worse calls than this.

Wiz, may need your help again. But didn’t East Bladen in a playoff games years ago either lose or win a game because someone intercepted a pass tried to take it out of the end zone, fumbled and other team recovered and won but the issue was the player showed intentions to leave the end zone but never made it out, therefore many thought it should’ve been a Touchback. Forgive me for being vague I could be wrong about the teams.

Think it was 2003...EB players intercepts the pass momentum takes him in the endzone they think its a Touchback and it got ruled as a safety....it was East Bladen vs Southwest Onslow right @ebeagles .......coincidentally 2013 playoff meeting ends with a Farrell Murchison fumble into the endzone resulting in a touchback SWO guys were trolling sayin "East finally got that touchback they were screaming for"

How about 2011 Reidsville vs Kinston. Kinston throws a Hail mary to send them to the state championship, which no one from Reidsville thinks the dude caught. Rams would have went to states vs West Stokes.
Well I guess karma came around because Kinston got totally hosed by the officials in the state title game that year, maybe the most biased and one sided officiating I've ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT