ADVERTISEMENT

WHC Projection (The return of parity)

The 15 Mitchell team didn’t decide tackling was important until they lost to heritage. After that they they were much improved defensively. East Wilkes was one of the best football games I ever watched. The 15 team should’ve thanked heritage for the wake up call because it made them better. I felt like that year Mitchell was better than heritage. The last 3 the better team won.

I hate to crash this party but the only thing this thread is missing is Owen98 a box of fruit loops and a little bit of reality.
Rocketman lol. You’re obviously a youngun. The 86 mountaineer team coach Robinson played on would have hospitalized a lot of these kids. There defense was anchored by johnathan Atkins and had speed and size all over the field. Several college players on that team.
now how do you know that the 86 team would hospitalize our boys ? I played tailback against Mitchell’s 82 team that Had at least 3 Div 1 players at Mitchell in the game that nobody remembers because it was below zero with about 20 MPH winds it was so cold nobody was there it was the last game of the season Mitchell scored and got the 2 point conversion with about a minute left in the game to beat us 8 to 7. One of Mitchell’s players his name was John I think his last name was Phillips anyway he was first team all American at Clemson his brother Hank also played at Clemson plus your tight end on the 82 team went too the Dallas Cowboys training camp and got cut after the 3 preseason game I can’t remember what college he played for. I believe all 3 of those boys were Phillips but I can’t remember. Mitchelll also had some more boy on defense that would lay you out Mitchell went 5 and 5 and us ,Heritage went 4 and 6 in the 82 season. back in them days we both played in 3a conference and if you could put up 20 points you would win most of your games. that 82 Mitchell defense is never talked about but they had as much talent as any I’ve ever seen at Mitchell maybe more but the coaching sucked back then.

Reactions: Mhsneer
There’s not 5 kids on Mitchell or heritage that could’ve made it through a week of Riddle’s practices much less competed. It’s was tougher generation back then. I don’t think they are bigger now and they certainly aren’t faster. Freddie Burleson, Greg Mcmurray(ncsu),Russell Barnett, Steve Nanney. Hank and John Phillips (All Americans at Clemson), ken burnette (all American Ecu), Jonathan Atkins Gardner Webb. I don’t think these kids are stronger or faster. The schools back then were bigger. 3a and 2a. No single or double a classes. Only one team went most years. The games were better the teams were better.
I
There’s not 5 kids on Mitchell or heritage that could’ve made it through a week of Riddle’s practices much less competed. It’s was tougher generation back then. I don’t think they are bigger now and they certainly aren’t faster. Freddie Burleson, Greg Mcmurray(ncsu),Russell Barnett, Steve Nanney. Hank and John Phillips (All Americans at Clemson), ken burnette (all American Ecu), Jonathan Atkins Gardner Webb. I don’t think these kids are stronger or faster. The schools back then were bigger. 3a and 2a. No single or double a classes. Only one team went most years. The games were better the teams were better.
Steve Nanny your joking right. Coach Riddle wasted more talent than any coach I know. The reason practices were so hard back then hardly anyone lifted weights we all played softball all summer and drunk beer and chased women. Mitchell or Heritages teams the last 5 years would destroy any team Mitchell has fielded in the 80s thru the 90sbecause the training is year round and the offenses have evolved to the modern day game. Yes those boys were tough back then but if you look around you will see the boys are bigger and fast now and the coaching is off the charts better.

I hate to crash this party but the only thing this thread is missing is Owen98 a box of fruit loops and a little bit of reality.

now how do you know that the 86 team would hospitalize our boys ? I played tailback against Mitchell’s 82 team that Had at least 3 Div 1 players at Mitchell in the game that nobody remembers because it was below zero with about 20 MPH winds it was so cold nobody was there it was the last game of the season Mitchell scored and got the 2 point conversion with about a minute left in the game to beat us 8 to 7. One of Mitchell’s players his name was John I think his last name was Phillips anyway he was first team all American at Clemson his brother Hank also played at Clemson plus your tight end on the 82 team went too the Dallas Cowboys training camp and got cut after the 3 preseason game I can’t remember what college he played for. I believe all 3 of those boys were Phillips but I can’t remember. Mitchelll also had some more boy on defense that would lay you out Mitchell went 5 and 5 and us ,Heritage went 4 and 6 in the 82 season. back in them days we both played in 3a conference and if you could put up 20 points you would win most of your games. that 82 Mitchell defense is never talked about but they had as much talent as any I’ve ever seen at Mitchell maybe more but the coaching sucked back then.
I was a senior on that team. They were all Phillips John and Hank brothers ( Hank was a sophomore) and the tight end was James Phillips he played college a Wake Forest. I can't remember how many but some others went to small colleges like Mars Hill.

I

Steve Nanny your joking right. Coach Riddle wasted more talent than any coach I know. The reason practices were so hard back then hardly anyone lifted weights we all played softball all summer and drunk beer and chased women. Mitchell or Heritages teams the last 5 years would destroy any team Mitchell has fielded in the 80s thru the 90sbecause the training is year round and the offenses have evolved to the modern day game. Yes those boys were tough back then but if you look around you will see the boys are bigger and fast now and the coaching is off the charts better.
Have to agree here. Leland Riddle football cost Mitchell a championship in 82, 86, 88, 02, 10, and 11. No, Riddle wasn't coaching in 02, 10, and 11, but his legacy was. I'm young, before the Riddle days, but I know that 1950's Harris High football didn't work in the 80's, 90's and certainly not in the 2000's.

rusty coggins was the coach and he certainly wasted what was the most talent we’ve ever had.

As for Riddle I’d say he was a really good coach xs and os. Joey is more of a Riddle protege. Joeys philosophy almost mirrors coach Riddle.

rusty coggins was the coach and he certainly wasted what was the most talent we’ve ever had.

As for Riddle I’d say he was a really good coach xs and os. Joey is more of a Riddle protege. Joeys philosophy almost mirrors coach Riddle.
Except Joey implements conditioning.

Have to agree here. Leland Riddle football cost Mitchell a championship in 82, 86, 88, 02, 10, and 11. No, Riddle wasn't coaching in 02, 10, and 11, but his legacy was. I'm young, before the Riddle days, but I know that 1950's Harris High football didn't work in the 80's, 90's and certainly not in the 2000's.
Leland Riddle wasn't the coach in 1982 it Rusty Coggins. My freshman year was Doug Brooks, sophomore year Dennis Hefner then Jr & Sr year Coggins. I can't remember if Leland came '83 or '84 season after Coggins quit.

Leland’s teams were in better shape than anyone else I promise you that

doesn’t Tarboro run the wishbone? It’s working well for them

doesn’t Tarboro run the wishbone? It’s working well for them
Hard to compare the athletes that Tarboro has compared to what Mitchell has. Pretty sure that Hibriten runs the flexbone, and it works pretty good for them too, again can't really compare.

Leland’s teams were in better shape than anyone else I promise you that
You are letting your misty eyed nostalgia blur reality. Simple fact is, players today are stronger, faster, quicker, train more. Sports science has evolved so much since 1986. Running windsprints until you threw up might've made you tough, but it's down to a science now. Do you think Gentry would still be winning games if he coached the same as in 1986? Not likely. The game has evolved, and the coaches and players have evolved with it.

Do you think players back then didn’t lift weights? Have you ever met the Phillips boys mentioned in this thread? They dwarf the players Mitchell has fielded in the past 19 years. The players back then were bigger. The school was bigger by about 300 students. FYI a guy named pop warner invented the wing t. Teams now are great. Coach pitman is a great coach so is Joey. But back in the day you were thrown into 4 divisions. We played 3a football and then 2a. No big or little a. The teams were better. You were playing a conference champion in the first round if you were lucky enough to make the playoffs. Not taking away from kids today. But don’t assume the 80-90s was a bunch of drunk out of shape weak midgets. There were several d1 players. Remember fridgerator perry played on clemsons team with John Phillips. Carl Pickens played at Murphy. Heath shuler at swain. Name one d1 player at Mitchell or heritage in the 2000s. Name one consensus all American.

football has changed in the whc. Were all lucky to have the program we’ve got today. But if you didn’t see those teams don’t assume they were small or didn’t lift weights. As far as toughness I’d say gentry wins a lot of ballgames on old school toughness.

Where was all that strength and speed against Tarboro? At least when Mitchell met up with a fast team from the east they were able to score...

The 09 team didn’t play a good team till tarboro in the playoffs. They played all their games at home. They also lost 2 games in the regular season to Hendersonville and Erwin
No offense but that 2009 team would have beat Mitchell’s 15 team by 30 or more, how do I know? Because our 2015 wasn’t as good and had you down 33-0 in the first half they also lost to down Hendersonville and Erwin teams that year, Tarboro had several to go on to play D1 the year we played them I can promise they were big as well as fast, are starting running back also had a fractured ankle that he played with from the second quarter on, and you guys say we didn’t play anyone but Lincolnton that year would have beat every team Mitchell played in the playoffs until they met Wallace Rose Hill, they had one kid I know that was in the olympics for sprinting, we were up on them 27-7 at halftime, other than East Wilkes who did you guys beat in 2015, Andrews? Cherokee... because we beat both Robbinsville and Polk by 3 scores a piece and both teams were pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Well with rocketmans philosophy the 85-90 Miami teams wouldn’t stand a chance in today’s college football. I don’t think that’s the case. I watched the tarboro game the difference I saw was the one kid tarboro had on defensive line that went to duke. He shut down the middle. 09 team was very good and fun to watch but I think the 16 heritage team was better.
No they weren’t lol, 17 yes 16 no, The 15’ 16’ teams both had great seasons but the only thing that 16’ team did better than the 09’ team was whoopin’ Erwin’s ass.

Last edited:
Since the Non Conference schedule is done (with the exception of Polk's lone game this week) let's review the conference and throw some predictions out there.

Mitchell (6-0)
The Mountaineers breezed thru their mushy non conference schedule, outscoring their opponents 270-34. No real surprise here, since it was widely speculated around Ledger that this could be Mitchell's beat team to date. They played soft for the first 3 games, but played up to their potential for the last 3 games of the Non Conference.

Polk (5-0)
The Wolverines returned more than anyone else in the conference, and have been a mild, but pleasant surprise. Like Mitchell, they have had little resistance thru their non conference schedule, outscoring their opponents 179-29, and against slightly better competition than the Mountaineers. Polk has played steady, not flashy, pushing along more like a reliable pickup truck, than a Ferrari. Bruce Ollis is a mastermind at picking an opponent apart, and will be a nightmare for anyone in conference this year.

Mountain Heritage (4-1)
The Cougars were looking to be unstoppable again plowing thru their first 4 games with apparent ease, until Pisgah gave them their first shutout defeat in close to a decade. Heritage's schedule has been the toughest out of anyone else in conference, and going 4-1 shows that they are still strong and the team to beat.

Avery (4-2)
The biggest surprise so far this season has hands down been Avery. The Vikings have averaged 40 points a game, and QB Troy Hoilman reached 1000 yards by the 3rd game. While their schedule has been the weakest of the conference, going 4-2 is a huge improvement, and they can score with anyone. A lack of defense will be their downfall when they meet up with the heavy hitters.

Owen (3-2)
The Warhorses haven't had an easy row to hoe, and conference play isn't going to be any easier. They have the size on the o line, and some good skills, but to compete at the top they will need to sure up the defense, especially on pass coverage.

Madison (0-6)
Holding down the basement fort since 1973.

My crazy prediction
Mitchell (4-1) loses to Avery
Polk (4-1) loses to Mitchell
Heritage (3-2) loses to Mitchell and Polk
Avery (3-2) loses to Heritage and Polk
Owen (1-4) beats Madison
Madison (0-5) stays perfect

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopar forever
Mountie that is a crazy prediction. Hope you are right about Avery winning 3 conference games. I think they really only have 1 winnable conference game. Cloudland had more total yards Friday night.That worries me some. Avery had 264 yards of offense Friday night.Hopefully that will be their lowest for the rest of the season.

Since the Non Conference schedule is done (with the exception of Polk's lone game this week) let's review the conference and throw some predictions out there.

Mitchell (6-0)
The Mountaineers breezed thru their mushy non conference schedule, outscoring their opponents 270-34. No real surprise here, since it was widely speculated around Ledger that this could be Mitchell's beat team to date. They played soft for the first 3 games, but played up to their potential for the last 3 games of the Non Conference.

Polk (5-0)
The Wolverines returned more than anyone else in the conference, and have been a mild, but pleasant surprise. Like Mitchell, they have had little resistance thru their non conference schedule, outscoring their opponents 179-29, and against slightly better competition than the Mountaineers. Polk has played steady, not flashy, pushing along more like a reliable pickup truck, than a Ferrari. Bruce Ollis is a mastermind at picking an opponent apart, and will be a nightmare for anyone in conference this year.

Mountain Heritage (4-1)
The Cougars were looking to be unstoppable again plowing thru their first 4 games with apparent ease, until Pisgah gave them their first shutout defeat in close to a decade. Heritage's schedule has been the toughest out of anyone else in conference, and going 4-1 shows that they are still strong and the team to beat.

Avery (4-2)
The biggest surprise so far this season has hands down been Avery. The Vikings have averaged 40 points a game, and QB Troy Hoilman reached 1000 yards by the 3rd game. While their schedule has been the weakest of the conference, going 4-2 is a huge improvement, and they can score with anyone. A lack of defense will be their downfall when they meet up with the heavy hitters.

Owen (3-2)
The Warhorses haven't had an easy row to hoe, and conference play isn't going to be any easier. They have the size on the o line, and some good skills, but to compete at the top they will need to sure up the defense, especially on pass coverage.

Madison (0-6)
Holding down the basement fort since 1973.

My crazy prediction
Mitchell (4-1) loses to Avery
Polk (4-1) loses to Mitchell
Heritage (3-2) loses to Mitchell and Polk
Avery (3-2) loses to Heritage and Polk
Owen (1-4) beats Madison
Madison (0-5) stays perfect
For that to come true, Avery's defense and defensive play calling needs to improve significantly. Avery's offense can play with anyone but the play calling on the offense needs to even out some. Also, if the offense is off. It will be a rough night for the Vikings. Much like the game at Draughn, the defense was horrendous and the offensive play calling was pathetic (Troy threw it over 70 times). Also the red zone offense was awful. We have a kicker that is really good but we are reluctant to use him and I don't know why...

No offense but that 2009 team would have beat Mitchell’s 15 team by 30 or more, how do I know? Because our 2015 wasn’t as good and had you down 33-0 in the first half they also lost to down Hendersonville and Erwin teams that year, Tarboro had several to go on to play D1 the year we played them I can promise they were big as well as fast, are starting running back also had a fractured ankle that he played with from the second quarter on, and you guys say we didn’t play anyone but Lincolnton that year would have beat every team Mitchell played in the playoffs until they met Wallace Rose Hill, they had one kid I know that was in the olympics for sprinting, we were up on them 27-7 at halftime, other than East Wilkes who did you guys beat in 2015, Andrews? Cherokee... because we beat both Robbinsville and Polk by 3 scores a piece and both teams were pretty damn good.

Lay off the weed. That team was good but they weren't that good.

1) This is not Mitchell’s best team. I honestly thought the last 2 years they were better overall as a team. They are very dependent on 2 players and when they face tougher competition that can be neutralized.

2) Mitchell is not coming to Heritage and getting a win this year. I really don’t think any of us knows how good Mitchell actually is to this point. Competition has been so bad it is hard to judge. Definitely Noah and Tyler are great football players but don’t think they will be able to carry them 4 quarters against the MH defense and possibly not against Polk. If the Heritage offense gets back on track I can see us winning by at least 2 scores. Heritage will be the best front 7 and secondary they have faced.

3) Polk is much improved and I was a little shocked that the Hendersonville game was as close, but it is all about matchups I know.

4) Owen is improved for the year but still a year or so away from moving back on top I believe. Could pull off a win at the top 3 if everything fell just right.

5) Avery throwing the ball all over the field against some teams but once they get into the more solid defensive teams, I think the offense will stall with Hoilman having to constantly throw off the run. Still a chance of getting a win against the top 4.

6) Madison, I am sorry this year. Maybe things start to turn around next year.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
15 Mitchell team was better overall than the last 2 years. However if we see Murphy or East Surry they may be a better front seven than heritage. I’m not disagreeing with you because you’re right we don’t know yet. I know our line isn’t bad, our defense is better than last two years. Offense hasn’t been sharp because it’s hard to focus against these teams. Running back is by committee, but they’re tough runners. Hoyle kid will develop into a really good back in conference play.

We’ve got more than two players on offense. I don’t know what we will do against heritage. The big back is the biggest worry. I think it will be close.

y’all Have a great program and you have a great coach (you’re welcome). Your kids are tough and good kids. Our kids are working hard and hopefully we can give you a game.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
1) This is not Mitchell’s best team. I honestly thought the last 2 years they were better overall as a team. They are very dependent on 2 players and when they face tougher competition that can be neutralized.

2) Mitchell is not coming to Heritage and getting a win this year. I really don’t think any of us knows how good Mitchell actually is to this point. Competition has been so bad it is hard to judge. Definitely Noah and Tyler are great football players but don’t think they will be able to carry them 4 quarters against the MH defense and possibly not against Polk. If the Heritage offense gets back on track I can see us winning by at least 2 scores. Heritage will be the best front 7 and secondary they have faced.

3) Polk is much improved and I was a little shocked that the Hendersonville game was as close, but it is all about matchups I know.

4) Owen is improved for the year but still a year or so away from moving back on top I believe. Could pull off a win at the top 3 if everything fell just right.

5) Avery throwing the ball all over the field against some teams but once they get into the more solid defensive teams, I think the offense will stall with Hoilman having to constantly throw off the run. Still a chance of getting a win against the top 4.

6) Madison, I am sorry this year. Maybe things start to turn around next year.
This same group of kids beat the same group of kids at heritage 2 years ago, without Noah and Tyler. You only watched Mitchell play McDowell, and while it WAS the Tyler McKinney show that night, those aren't Mitchell's only 2 weapons. Logan Hudgins and Tanner Duncan are strong runners, Ty Sparks is a good slot back, and Ty Pittman is every bit as good a WR as McKinney. The line is quick and huge, tho likely not as fast as Heritage's, they will hold their own. BUT! we have to worry about Owen first, and Heritage has to contend with Avery.

All good points. Can’t argue any of them but we had just as many on the varsity team 2 years ago as Mitchell did in case you have forgotten. If I remember that was even a close game on your field I believe. This year all of your seniors will be on varsity as will ours. As for the junior class I definitely give Heritage the edge.

Does anyone see this as Mitchell’s best chance to get a win against Heritage for the next few years? Just a question for Mountie or Neers. Not as familiar with as many of the younger players.

I think it’s the best chance we’ve had in last 3 years, I think upcoming classes from jv are better than their record. They’ve lost some to injury and 8th grade class compliments this freshman class. So I think next year heritage definitely like you said has an edge. This freshman class as seniors will be good. Our best class coming up is in 5th and 6th grade.

Reactions: Heritage 84
This same group of kids beat the same group of kids at heritage 2 years ago, without Noah and Tyler. You only watched Mitchell play McDowell, and while it WAS the Tyler McKinney show that night, those aren't Mitchell's only 2 weapons. Logan Hudgins and Tanner Duncan are strong runners, Ty Sparks is a good slot back, and Ty Pittman is every bit as good a WR as McKinney. The line is quick and huge, tho likely not as fast as Heritage's, they will hold their own. BUT! we have to worry about Owen first, and Heritage has to contend with Avery.
I would just add that #11 Phillips is a good WR and Jr #89 Sparks improves every game as a TE and definitely on defense.
And I definitely agree Owen first, I'm sure that's all the coaches are concerned about right now.

15 Mitchell team was better overall than the last 2 years. However if we see Murphy or East Surry they may be a better front seven than heritage. I’m not disagreeing with you because you’re right we don’t know yet. I know our line isn’t bad, our defense is better than last two years. Offense hasn’t been sharp because it’s hard to focus against these teams. Running back is by committee, but they’re tough runners. Hoyle kid will develop into a really good back in conference play.

We’ve got more than two players on offense. I don’t know what we will do against heritage. The big back is the biggest worry. I think it will be close.

y’all Have a great program and you have a great coach (you’re welcome). Your kids are tough and good kids. Our kids are working hard and hopefully we can give you a game.
Definitely not the best defense in the past 2 years. More weapons this year because they’re chooosing to use them. Last year was the best chance due to heritages transition from the trey train but this years team has beat Yancey county in middle school and on jvs so mentally they at least think they can win.

After the heritage game our 15 team ratcheted up the defense. East Wilkes was a slugfest we were better because of the heritage loss. As far as offense I’d have to disagree Mitchell 15 is the best offense I’ve seen us field in the 2000s. As far as heritage goes they’ve beat us at the point of contact on the line of scrimmage. I agree this years team should believe they can win. It will once again come down to line play and linebackers filling the hole on defense. Caius Peterson has been a great addition at linebacker.

After the heritage game our 15 team ratcheted up the defense. East Wilkes was a slugfest we were better because of the heritage loss. As far as offense I’d have to disagree Mitchell 15 is the best offense I’ve seen us field in the 2000s. As far as heritage goes they’ve beat us at the point of contact on the line of scrimmage. I agree this years team should believe they can win. It will once again come down to line play and linebackers filling the hole on defense. Caius Peterson has been a great addition at linebacker.
Hes been unbelievable, it’s hard to believe he hasn’t played in a few yrs.

I would have to think Heritage would have a definite advantage at the linebacker position. A lot of experience and depth at that position.

I would have to think Heritage would have a definite advantage at the linebacker position. A lot of experience and depth at that position.
Mitchell’s young at lb, hard to deny heritage has the advantage there. But secondary is usually susceptible and heritage lost some big time d-lineman. Doesn’t mean anything unless Mitchell can take advantage of that.

my point is that the last three years y’all have moved the line of scrimmage 3 yards down the field at the point of contact. These linebackers are more aggressive. The biggest task on defense is stopping the big back. Ours being better than yours is irrelevant. Ours are better than last year. Yours may be mike Singletary like idk. Y’all are the bama of whc so hopefully we can just make it to the game without the bus breaking down.

my point is that the last three years y’all have moved the line of scrimmage 3 yards down the field at the point of contact. These linebackers are more aggressive. The biggest task on defense is stopping the big back. Ours being better than yours is irrelevant. Ours are better than last year. Yours may be mike Singletary like idk. Y’all are the bama of whc so hopefully we can just make it to the game without the bus breaking down.
Lbs are better this year? Sigh! Unfortunately for Mitchell the competition has even been worse than the last 2 yrs. not their fault , it’s just that all their non conference opponents are just worse. Lbs might be their weakest link. Just young. I thought they were strong at lbs the last 2 yrs. moving the line of scrimmage doesn’t come from the lbs, but d line.

Linebackers that take their first step backwards do move the line of scrimmage. A good linebacker fills the hole. Hoyle and Peterson are more aggressive than last two years. This may be due to coaching but a linebacker that gets blocked by a guard or center sure does move the line of scrimmage. Heritage has been better than us at the point of contact.

Reactions: WHChoops
Linebackers that take their first step backwards do move the line of scrimmage. A good linebacker fills the hole. Hoyle and Peterson are more aggressive than last two years. This may be due to coaching but a linebacker that gets blocked by a guard or center sure does move the line of scrimmage. Heritage has been better than us at the point of contact.
Miller had over 100 tackles last year and Johnson close to 100. The year before Robinson had over 120 and Johnson over 80. Peterson is at 45, sparks at 28, Duncan at 31, and Hoyle at 25. If lbs get blocked it’s on the d line. This could be to defensive coaching, d line play is better, or teams are worse. I’m going with the latter. Either way a good lb reads and tackles.

Well Polk’s win against East Rutherford last night should send a message to the entire conference. They will definitely be a team to reckon with this year. Looks like they must have played some great defense against a team that normally can score some points, even though they allow some.

Reactions: ThePolkNation
Well Polk’s win against East Rutherford last night should send a message to the entire conference. They will definitely be a team to reckon with this year. Looks like they must have played some great defense against a team that normally can score some points, even though they allow some.
They've been sending the message since August 23rd. Polk could very well win conference. They are moving the ball, and are stout on defense. One thing that I have been impressed by, is how strong handed they are. If a defender gets his hands on a runner, he is going down. They don't seem to be missing tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT