ADVERTISEMENT

WHC Projection (The return of parity)

No way polk beats heritage, not sure they beat hendo
The western highlands has never seen a dominate defense like heritage has ever.

Look up how many times Mitchell has beat Polk by a point. It’s scary. When ollis was there the last time they laid the whooping on us all. If I remember correctly they put up 80 on heritage one year. I’m not confident that Heritage is firmly in first. Let’s see how Polk does Friday we will know a lot more then.

Rocketman lol. You’re obviously a youngun. The 86 mountaineer team coach Robinson played on would have hospitalized a lot of these kids. There defense was anchored by johnathan Atkins and had speed and size all over the field. Several college players on that team.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Rocketman lol. You’re obviously a youngun. The 86 mountaineer team coach Robinson played on would have hospitalized a lot of these kids. There defense was anchored by johnathan Atkins and had speed and size all over the field. Several college players on that team.
I am 55 been watching games for over 25 years lol

Johnathon sure was fun to watch. Actually enjoyed seeing Mitchell score because he was going to kill someone on the kickoff. Lol

Kids today are lot faster and stronger .2009 heritage had player bench pressing over 420lbs.

There’s not 5 kids on Mitchell or heritage that could’ve made it through a week of Riddle’s practices much less competed. It’s was tougher generation back then. I don’t think they are bigger now and they certainly aren’t faster. Freddie Burleson, Greg Mcmurray(ncsu),Russell Barnett, Steve Nanney. Hank and John Phillips (All Americans at Clemson), ken burnette (all American Ecu), Jonathan Atkins Gardner Webb. I don’t think these kids are stronger or faster. The schools back then were bigger. 3a and 2a. No single or double a classes. Only one team went most years. The games were better the teams were better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketman101
The 09 team didn’t play a good team till tarboro in the playoffs. They played all their games at home. They also lost 2 games in the regular season to Hendersonville and Erwin

Just on the Tarboro game, an inadvertent whistle cost the Cougars a TD and totally changed the flow of the game. Possibly still lost but that score could have gotten us the lead in the game. No way to tell about teams beating each other but definitely the Mitchell team was loaded with D1 talent for sure.

Well with rocketmans philosophy the 85-90 Miami teams wouldn’t stand a chance in today’s college football. I don’t think that’s the case. I watched the tarboro game the difference I saw was the one kid tarboro had on defensive line that went to duke. He shut down the middle. 09 team was very good and fun to watch but I think the 16 heritage team was better.

My point rocketman is that those players were d1 players from 80-90 those players were acc big East players. No one on these teams today go to the acc

My point rocketman is that those players were d1 players from 80-90 those players were acc big East players. No one on these teams today go to the acc
Being division 1 player in high school does not mean you are better, just means you have more potential, perfect size. Went to freedom and kings mtn game few years ago kings myth had d1 linemen ,we got destroy by much smaller player, that kid never even played college . Look at trey Robinson he was not d1 player, but I think he was better then all them guys in high school

Last edited:
O9 Heritage was probably the best team I’ve seen play in the WHC. Tarboro wasn’t the only team they had to beat that year, Lincolnton had a good team that year also. Not to mention Tarboro had a sophomore that if I’m not mistaken plays in the NFL. O9 had a 3000 yds rusher, 1500 yd passer and rusher and and O line and D line that was dominant in the WHC. And no, I’m not a heritage fan. And that was when the conference as a whole was strong. As for the 86 Mitchell team, Atkins would have freshman. In my opinion, his best team and his best yr was 89. I think they went 3rd rd in 2a that year. Joeys teams were good, but always lost to Sylva. Atkins team never beat Owen. As for kids today “couldn’t play back then,” that’s nuts. Coaches might have been a little more sadistical, lol, okay “tougher”. But kids today are far more trained, conditioned, and prepared by high school coaches. They put way more time in than we put in back in the old days. Spring football, summer workouts, weight classes. Kids today are far more prepared to play football than back then.

Just an opinion Neer. Avery’s team with Boone and Griffith would be up there. They dominated the conference for a couple yrs. went 3rd rd. The Phillips brothers were before my time but the Ken Burnette team at Mitchell would be up there. I saw them lose to Bunkerhill at Mitchell in the playoffs his senior year. There’s been a lot of good teams I’ve seen in the WHC but that 09 Heritage team was the best “I” saw.

I saw em all too. One of the best was the 97 I believe Owen team? The 09 heritage team was good. However, it was tougher in the 80-90 time frame to make it to the final 8 or four because of only 4 classification. It made for tougher first and second round games.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Just an opinion Neer. Avery’s team with Boone and Griffith would be up there. They dominated the conference for a couple yrs. went 3rd rd. The Phillips brothers were before my time but the Ken Burnette team at Mitchell would be up there. I saw them lose to Bunkerhill at Mitchell in the playoffs his senior year. There’s been a lot of good teams I’ve seen in the WHC but that 09 Heritage team was the best “I” saw.
That avery team was strong watch them beat statesville that year, also watch them play high point central in newland it was so cold.

Reactions: WHChoops
I saw em all too. One of the best was the 97 I believe Owen team? The 09 heritage team was good. However, it was tougher in the 80-90 time frame to make it to the final 8 or four because of only 4 classification. It made for tougher first and second round games.
It was definitely tougher for sure. If you made it, If!! You were guaranteed a matchup with a Newton-Conover or starmount or a then 2a mooresville first rd. But besides sylva in the 80’s no team out of the WHC has made it to the finals in 2a except that O9 heritage team and no matter what year it is, 89, 09, or 19, that’s no cake-walk

You know the sad thing is we’ve had a lot of really great football teams in whc no state championship? We’ve been there what twice?

They weren’t in the western highlands though. They were in the old ivy conference and the 86 Mitchell team beat em I think 21-17

They were in the whc from 85-87. Then smoky mountain. Mitchell beat them the last three years they were in the conference

So Joey di
They were in the whc from 85-87. Then smoky mountain. Mitchell beat them the last three years they were in the conference
then Joey definitely beat them a few times. I honestly thought Sylva won conference the last yr they were there but old minds......

John Phillips was not even on 86 team he was at clemson. He was on 83 team
Well technically John and myself graduated in 1983 so our last football season was 1982 , we were still 3A little Mac , we were the first Mitchell team to play in the Mitchell stadium up till that point we still played at Harris stadium and we were the first Mitchell team to have a winning season , I believe that one game less we needed to go to the playoffs. Some other guys went to play at small colleges like Mars Hill , John and his brother Hank who was a sophomore Clemson, I believe John made all ACC and second tram all American , James Phillips WR and a senior that year went to Wake Forest and I'm thinking he might have made all ACC there. I stood one day at practice and talked to Danny Ford while he was there visiting John.
1982 scores:
Enka 14 M 6.. McDowell 14 M 0.. M 20 Avery 6..M 20 Hendersonville 18...M 20 Owen 14...
M 27 Madison 21..North Buncombe 24 M 7...M 50 Polk Central 6...West Henderson 26 M 12.. M 8 Mtn Heritage 7...6w 4L

the only way to settle this is to put on the pads. I’ll see if I can get the 86 team back together. You see about the heritage 09 guys and we will let her rip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT