ADVERTISEMENT

West Henderson at Hickory Round 4

This game is going to be exciting one to watch. If nothing comes up I’m tempting to make the trip to see this game. Anyone know if West Henderson will be bringing a big crowd. I could see this game packed out since other teams are eliminated.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
This game is going to be exciting one to watch. If nothing comes up I’m tempting to make the trip to see this game. Anyone know if West Henderson will be bringing a big crowd. I could see this game packed out since other teams are eliminated.
Everyone that I talked to last night post game in Mills River said they were for sure traveling to Hickory on Friday. I would say that there wont be many that stay home since this game represents the deepest run West Henderson has made in its history in football. 🤩
I hope they pack the visitor side 😁

This is going to be outstanding game … honestly I can see it being a shootout or the complete opposite…. Idk .. my opinion is both teams look just alike … Well coached teams that did not hurt themselves with stupid stuff. My first thought was West would have the slightest edge in a matchup because I think the defense is a little better but Hickory has the slightest edge at QB (maybe)
Honestly I’m truly torn on who wins this game …
I have told my Crest buddies ever since I seen both teams that they both would make deep playoff runs because both are good and to me are kinda mirror images. You can’t ask for a better upcoming game to watch

CalPreps has this game on a neutral field at 38 West Henderson, 35 Hickory. I look for this game to be like the Crest vs. West Charlotte game was last night with an overtime ending and one point decision. So basically you could flip a coin and one team call it in the air to be the winner. But the team from the mountains has my pick. Wishing West Hedo the best of luck.

The NCHSAA handbook lists a start time of 7:00 for playoff games but I'm not so sure if it is a "mandate". There have been quite a few start at 7:30; so if it is a mandate, it is either easy to get around it or they don't enforce it.

Do yourself a favor and watch this full highlight. But first, skip to 0:14 and watch this throw.

Escapes pressure moving to his right, jumps in the air like he’s Derek Jeter, and drops a dime just out of reach of one defender and right in between two others.

Good luck stopping this Hickory offense with a guy slinging it like that. I tip my cap to Mr. Stober. What a player!

He’s pretty incredible. I do think it was a bit of a perfect storm that Reynolds ran into. Just one of those nights where everything was clicking for them and every pass was right on the money. I’m not sure another game between those 2 would end up that way but it did on Friday.
I think about Reynolds holding 8-4 west Forsyth to 8 points in a 1 point loss.
Beating 10-3 (and still playing) Shelby
Giving 10-2 east Forsyth all they want in a 6 point loss
Losing to 12-1 watauga by 1.
Holding kings mountain who was arguably a top 4 team in 3A to 0 points

And then to go to hickory and get 61 scored on them in a blowout was shocking. Not only 61, but 61 in a second half where hickory was chewing clock up 3-4 touchdowns.

However this is high school football and who knows how long you can ride the wave or if you fall off a cliff

He’s pretty incredible. I do think it was a bit of a perfect storm that Reynolds ran into. Just one of those nights where everything was clicking for them and every pass was right on the money. I’m not sure another game between those 2 would end up that way but it did on Friday.

And then to go to hickory and get 61 scored on them in a blowout was shocking. Not only 61, but 61 in a second half where hickory was chewing clock up 3-4 touchdowns.

However this is high school football and who knows how long you can ride the wave or if you fall off a cliff
I can only speak to Shelby and KM because I have watched them play, and to be fair if ACR and Shelby played now it would be a different outcome. They played in week 2 and Shelby looks like a completely different team now than they were at that time. And KM offense was bad this season when they played decent teams that had similar athletes. Especially towards the end, they became totally one dimensional.

You need to bring your offense to play the Red Tornadoes because they are going to score.Coach Glass has given up many late points due to the games being out of hand and him wanting to get the backups some playing time. Your team may have a good offense, but we have shown it's hard to simulate our offense. I'm hoping for a great game.

West Henderson opponents are a combined 65–78

Hickory’s opponents are a combined 69-77
So pretty similar

Both come from a pretty terrible conference and both have played pretty much nobody before last week.

West Henderson an impressive win over oak grove and hickory with a very impressive win over Reynolds.

Hickory scores
47.3 ppg
Hickory gives up
20 ppg

West Henderson scores
44.6 ppg
West Henderson gives up
10.7 ppg

West Henderson opponents are a combined 65–78

Hickory’s opponents are a combined 69-77
So pretty similar

Both come from a pretty terrible conference and both have played pretty much nobody before last week.

West Henderson an impressive win over oak grove and hickory with a very impressive win over Reynolds.

Hickory scores
47.3 ppg
Hickory gives up
20 ppg

West Henderson scores
44.6 ppg
West Henderson gives up
10.7 ppg
I disagree... The Western Foothills was a pretty strong league... JUST SAYING!!!

Im thinking about going to either this game or crest vs Dudley's cant decide which will be the best
with that choice it would be crest/dudley

my choices and time :: ::::
hoggard -- cleveland 1:43
grimsley--weddington 1:36
Indy----Butler 1:26
S alamance---- 71st :54

as of now heading to weddington, saw them once this year
verse porter ridge, ofcourse its 71st if i get held late on friday
before leaving

with that choice it would be crest/dudley

my choices and time :: ::::
hoggard -- cleveland 1:43
grimsley--weddington 1:36
Indy----Butler 1:26
S alamance---- 71st :54

as of now heading to weddington, saw them once this year
verse porter ridge, ofcourse its 71st if i get held late on friday
before leaving
You think west Henderson vs hickory will be blowout?

I agree completely. After watching them vs Reynolds, if they continue to play at that level-I will take Hickory all the way. It’s a special team with talent on both sides, coaches that know how to adjust and a very accurate quarterback. To be fair, I haven’t seen West play this year but Hickory dominated a very good but slightly injured Reynolds. Good luck to both! Well deserved.

I watched the video clip and it is impressive. What is not impressive is the middle school size crowd on the Hickory home side. That looked pathetic, especially for a 3rd round game. You would think a community that size with an excellent team would have some support. Maybe everyone will hop on the bandwagon tomorrow night and show up.

I watched the video clip and it is impressive. What is not impressive is the middle school size crowd on the Hickory home side. That looked pathetic, especially for a 3rd round game. You would think a community that size with an excellent team would have some support. Maybe everyone will hop on the bandwagon tomorrow night and show up.
I figure there would good home side crowd for that game. I’m thinking this week will big turn out to be good crowd especially after Thanksgiving day.

I watched the video clip too and was wondering do the visitors sit on the press box side of the field? I’m still not sure if I’m going to make it or just listen on the radio but I was wondering.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I watched the video clip too and was wondering do the visitors sit on the press box side of the field? I’m still not sure if I’m going to make it or just listen on the radio but I was wondering.
Yes … I didn’t care for it either because the PA was so loud when I went and watched them play East Lincoln

Reactions: beamer24
Yes … I didn’t care for it either because the PA was so loud when I went and watched them play East Lincoln
The crowd was slimmed down due to Hickory having it's Christmas Parade and tree lighting ceremony uptown at 6 pm last Friday night. Our crowd has always been somewhat slim, but the crowd this week should be larger with many family members coming in for the Holiday. The visitors do sit on the Press Box side of Frank Barger Stadium. The rumor as to why was because HHS played at College Field on the campus of Lenoir Rhyne for years for their home games. For 18 years Coach Barger had the chains on his side of the field at LR due to the press box remaining on the visitors side after the 1964 stadium remodel. He got used to it and requested the same set up at the current school on campus stadium. Many new visiting fans walk to the HHS side pregame to find out they are on the wrong side. The PA system needs to be upgraded and/or adjusted.

Last edited:
The crowd was slimmed down due to Hickory having it's Christmas Parade and tree lighting ceremony uptown at 6 pm last Friday night. Our crowd has always been somewhat slim, but the crowd this wee should be larger with many family members coming in for the Holiday. The visitors do sit on the Press Box side of Frank Barger Stadium. The rumor as to why was because HHS played at College Field on the campus of Lenoir Rhyne for years for their home games. For 18 years Coach Barger had the chains on his side of the filed at LR due to the prees box remaining on the visitors side after the 1964 stadium remodel. He got used to it and requested the same set up at the current school on campus stadium. Many new visiting fans walk to the HHS side pregame to find out they are on the wrong side. The PA system needs to be upgraded and/or adjusted.
Does the press box at Hickory still have a rest room inside?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT