ADVERTISEMENT

3A Western Finals: #4 Dudley at #2 Hickory

Dudley also didn’t commit to the run game earliest enough in this contest. Hickory absolutely could not stop the run in the first half. Not sure why it took Dudley so long to recognize that. Sometimes you have to keep it simple.
I was scratching my head at that all first half.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
HELLOOOOO 📣 Calling all DBoys fans. We expect to see you on here first thing in the morning ‘splaying why your coaches don’t teach defense. Or at least after the liquor store opens.

Sounds like hickory might have adjusted to the weather a little better too.
Nah. I just think they have an offense that's really hard to stop and Dudley defense isn't as good as I thought they were. It became apparent early to me that this would be a chess match with how both teams were scoring. Slow and steady won the race tonight.

What an outstanding game !!! Everything a football fan could dream of .. that running back for hickory is an absolute beast!! He’s not fast but near impossible to stop. Such a fun game
He was a man among boys out there tonight. He wasn't fast, but he picked his gaps carefully and he was able to gain a lot of yards are the initial hit.

I’ve always heard about the 96 tornadoes…. Perhaps this team is better?
I think so especially offensively. The 96 team was good no doubt but I wasn’t as sold on that team as being what some people thought they were. Also the qb on this Hickory team is a special talent. Every game he has played he has been the best player on the field.

• Love
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I think so especially offensively. The 96 team was good no doubt but I wasn’t as sold on that team as being what some people thought they were. Also the qb on this Hickory team is a special talent. Every game he has played he has been the best player on the field.
Wasnt this qb a linebacker the last few seasons? Is that right Duck? (Seems like thats what he told me)

Impressive player, what a game Im watching it again soon because it wass that darn good LOL

Wasnt this qb a linebacker the last few seasons? Is that right Duck? (Seems like thats what he told me)

Impressive player, what a game Im watching it again soon because it wass that darn good LOL
That LB, Turner Wood, is 4th all time in TD passes and 5th all time in passing yardage for the Red Tornadoes. He lost his QB job to Stober at the start of last season and retooled into an amazing Linebacker for HHS. BY the way, his father is the City Manager of Hickory. No favoritism at HHS.

Last edited:
What a night of HS football. 1st of all. Congratulations to the Hickory Red Tornadoes for the win to advance to the 3A State Finals. And hats off to Dudley for a great season they had. Both teams played their tails off. And you couldn’t ask for these kids to play any better. They played their hearts out. This game could if went the other way. But it turned out like it did. Fans definitely got their moneys worth. This was definitely the best game in the State tonight.

Congratulations to our Hickory Red Tornadoes. Not many had the faith as you all did in yourselves and you proved you are a worth State Championship contender. You fellows over came much adversity in tonight's game and our coaching staff did a marvelous job in putting you all in the right position to win. All of the newcomers can have their say, but they have no idea what a tough and smart group you Red Tornadoes are. Go and win another one so you can claim the State Championship banner for the Red Tornado Nation!

It will be late tomorrow morning, but I'll do my best to let you know.
Isaiah Lackey had 37 rushes for 184 yards, 2 receptions for 53 yards, 1 rushing td and 1 passing td. Brady Stober was 20-27 for 271 yards and 3 touchdowns. HHS had 243 yards rushing and 276 yards passing for 519 total yards of offense on the game.

Last edited:
That LB, Turner Wood, is 4th all time in TD passes and 5th all time in passing yardage for the Red Tornadoes. He lost his QB job to Stober at the start of last season and retooled into an amazing Linebacker for HHS. BY the way, his father is the City Manager of Hickory. No favoritism at HHS.
His dad is a good person, his mother is a wonderfully sweet lady, I went to school with her from middle school through high school. And all sports I participated in in the 1980's at Hickory High, you had to EARN YOUR SPOT! I believe it's still that way!

Yea you’re right. Kings mountain would have held them to 25 points and lost 25-0.
KM definitely would have been able to run the ball on this Hickory defense lol. It’s been a minute since KM didn’t score in a game. Football is all about matchups. Hickory would have been a favorable matchup for KM’s offense while Dudley would not have been a favorable matchup for the KM offense. KM defense would have kept them in it either way. No standing back in pocket and surveying field. Both qb’s would have to get it out quick against that KM defense. This defense held every team it faced to their season lows in yards gained per game.

Not sure thats accurate. If my memory is correct. Crest had 300 rushing yds. AgaInSt THE SUpeR DeFenSe

Not sure thats accurate. If my memory is correct. Crest had 300 rushing yds. AgaInSt THE SUpeR DeFenSe
No Crest did not. Some of your fans were screaming it to everyone but it didn’t make it true. Crest had 316 yards total for the game. Most of those yards came on about four or five big plays. Crest qb led his team in rushing with 101 yards for game. Running back got 56yds of of his 70 on one play. He gained 14 total yards the rest of the way. Crest finished with 48yds passing and 268yds rushing for the game. I am sure that more than half those rushing yards came in the 4th qtr. Crest came in averaging over 510 yards of offense a game. The three interceptions, fumble, and the Crest kickoff return td off that bogus KM td celebration penalty made the game look worse for KM then what it really is. Also Crest ran reverses, qb keepers, and counters because the Crest coaches knew his team couldn’t run it straight at the KM defense and really couldn’t pass it like they were use to passing the ball against teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freshmanposter01
29 rushes for 213 yards, 12-27 passing for 240 yards
Averaged over 7 yards a carry but still attempted all those passes in wet conditions. If they would have ran the ball more they would have won. Number 22 didn't get enough touches.

It took me until now to get on here, because I was so numb from the game. First of all I want to say that the Hickory Folks was Classy and Friendly. I arrived at 5:15p and got in line at 5:20pm. The first Dudley Fan on the Visitor's side. Soon the crowd came and we filled up that side. I heard a gentleman say on Carolina Varsity that he didn't think Greensboro People didn't travel far away for games for their teams, I guess he hasn't followed Dudley when they have traveled to Charlotte Catholic, T.C Robeson, Crest, Statesville and Watauga over the years. Well anyway to the game, Congrats to Hickory for a hard fought game, neither team gave up and wanted to give in. That QB for Hickory is really good and the WRs are quick and dependable. And that running back #34, he reminds me of the Great Elijah Hood of Charlotte Catholic or a Young Earl Campbell of the Houston Oilers. I never seen Dudley's Front Four have a hard time tackling a RB, especially up the middle. Somebody would pop him high {mistake}, but not go low and grab a leg while someone else could finished him off. He would just bounce around and pick up 5 or 6 yards a run. Then Hats off to the game plan on Offense by Hickory. They called all their plays on how Dudley Safeties lined up. No huddle, just waited. If Dudley lined up 2 deep, Hickory handed the ball to #34. If the Defense played Man, Hickory ran double slants on the wide side of the field. When Dudley took the lead at 41-36 I was hoping we could play 2 deep to prevent the slants of deep ball, but I was praying and hoping the front 4 DL and 2 LBs could contain the run. So many 2nd or 3rd and 15-25 yards we allowed Hickory to get out of. Dudley Offense on the other hand had open WRs a few times, balls just missing the finger tips. Failing to get 3pts or 7pts before the half hurt. On that last drive the Dudley QB threw long ball from the 50 to the Running Back racing to the 10 yard line, he was 5 yards ahead of the Hickory DB. It just missed the RB back hands by 2 or 3 yards. But like everyone said before Dudley in hindsight should have ran the ball more and placed in the Back Up QB/WR that is used for the Wildcat when we was down near the 10 or when we need 5 yards on a 3rd or 4th down. I haven't felt this hurt since Dudley loss the 2009 3A Western Regionals in Greensboro to A.C Reynolds 9-8 and the Spring 2021 Western Regionals to W-S Mt Tabor 24-21 . Congrats Hickory!!!

Last edited:
It took me until now to get on here, because I was so numb from the game. First of all I want to say that the Hickory Folks was Classy and Friendly. I arrived at 5:15p and got in line at 5:20pm. The first Dudley Fan on the Visitor's side. Soon the crowd came and we filled up that side. I heard a gentleman say on Carolina Varsity that he didn't think Greensboro People didn't travel far away for games for their teams, I guess he hasn't followed Dudley when they have traveled to Charlotte Catholic, T.C Robeson, Crest, Statesville and Watauga over the years. Well anyway to the game, Congrats to Hickory for a high fought game, neither team gave up and wanted to give in. That QB for Hickory is really good and the WRs are quick and dependable. And that running back #34, he reminds me of the Great Elijah Hood of Charlotte Catholic or a Young Earl Campbell of the Houston Oilers. I never seen Dudley's Front Four have a hard time tackling a RB, especially up the middle. Somebody would pop him high {mistake}, but not go low and grab a leg while someone else could finished him off. He would just bounce around and pick up 5 or 6 yards a run. Then Hats off to the game plan on Offense by Hickory. They called all their plays on how Dudley Safeties lined up. No huddle, just waited. If Dudley lined up 2 deep, Hickory handed the ball to #34. If the Defense played Man, Hickory ran double slants on the wide side of the field. When Dudley took the lead at 41-36 I was hoping we could play 2 deep to prevent the slants of deep ball, but I was praying and hoping the front 4 DL and 2 LBs could contain the run. So many 2nd or 3rd and 15-25 yards we allowed Hickory to get out of. Dudley Offense on the other hand had open WRs a few times, balls just missing the finger tips. Failing to get 3pts or 7pts before the half hurt. On that last drive the Dudley QB threw long ball from the 50 to the Running Back racing to the 10 yard line, he was 5 yards ahead of the Hickory DB. It just missed the RB back hands by 2 or 3 yards. But like everyone said before Dudley in hindsight should have ran the ball more and placed in the Back Up QB/WR that is used for the Wildcat when we was down near the 10 or when we need 5 yards on a 3rd or 4th down. I haven't felt this hurt since Dudley lossed the 2009 3A Western Regionals in Greensboro to A.C Reynolds 9-8 and the Spring 2021 Western Regionals to W-S Mt Tabor 24-21 . Congrats Hickory!!!
Class post. It was agreat atmosphere and a great game to watch. I thought the game would turn when the Dudley band marched in at halftime. Did they have bus issues or just wait on the rain to let up? It was classy as could be that they came to Hickory sideline post game and played 3-4 selections for our band and fans. Losing hurts big time, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger for sure.

Class post. It was agreat atmosphere and a great game to watch. I thought the game would turn when the Dudley band marched in at halftime. Did they have bus issues or just wait on the rain to let up? It was classy as could be that they came to Hickory sideline post game and played 3-4 selections for our band and fans. Losing hurts big time, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger for sure.
I really don't know why the Band came so late at Halftime. A Buddy that rode the Fans Bus {I drove} said they pulled out from the school before they did at 5pm. I heard the Hickory announcer say that both bands was going to show a sign of unity and perform together at the half. I want to know myself what happen.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
While we are congratulating Hickory I also will like to take a moment and shout out the the college football team located in Hickory. Lenoir-Rhyne. Those guys are 12-1 and having a great year also. They are currently playing in the D2 playoffs.
With the LRU Bear victory yesterday at Valdosta State they now are in the final four and will travel to Arkansas to take on Harding University next Saturday.

I'm sure they'll be here. You just make sure you can get up after that Meth binge tonight. ;)
Still waiting on all those mouthy Dudley fans to come back and admit their team was overrated, like Crest. Guess their Guilford County probation officer heard they left the county and rounded them up. #OperationOverHyped

Reactions: daletec
Still waiting on all those mouthy Dudley fans to come back and admit their team was overrated, like Crest. Guess their Guilford County probation officer heard they left the county and rounded them up. #OperationOverHyped
What Dudley fans ran their mouths before the game? Because I spoke up a few days after that game and said Hickory had a great offensive game plan. Hickory was the #2 Seed, Dudley was the #4 Seed, you won by 1 pt. Dudley QB missed a wide open WR on a post route right before the Halftime, throwing the ball 90 mph. And the QB over threw a RB 5 YARDS ahead of the LB at the 10 with less than a min left, in what would have been a walked in TD. The kicker missed the extra point at 36-35. Hickory re took the lead with less than 1:40 left. You at like you blew Dudley out. Instead of stereotyping that School and Players with the Guilford County Probation Officers comments. Newsflash the major majority of those Players, Cheerleaders, Band Members have a 3.0-4.0+ or higher GPA. Many of those Coaches and Parents of those Students or Grads of North Carolina A&T State University, Winston Salem St University, UNC-Greensboro, Elon University, Guilford Tech, Greensboro College, Guilford College, North Carolina Central and Many Other Universities of Colleges. The Former Police Chief Brian James that left to take the job as Police Chief at UNC-CH recently was a Dudley Grad. And the current Guilford County Sheriff Danny Rogers was at NCAT and Dudley's Homecoming Parade. Matter of fact their are many Dudley and NCAT Grads on the Greensboro Police Dept and Guilford County Sheriff Depts. Oh and some became Guilford County Superior Court Judges. Since you want to stereotype a High School Team, School, Community. No one put your players down or talked bad about your City. Matter of fact many of the Hickory folks was warm and friendly. They was saying this was the best game they had in their stadium in a while. A Classic!!! Everyone from Charlotte News Papers to the News Stations. Maybe you should go back and read the comments your Head Coach of Hickory said about Dudley like
Joe Glass, the coach of the Red Tornadoes, thinks his Hickory team is “definitely the underdog.”

I think the biggest thing is that our kids just have to not lose the game before it starts,” said Glass, who led Eastern Guilford to a 10-3 record in 2018. “If I’m going to be honest with you, that is going to be our biggest challenge; when you see them rolling off the bus and you’ve got these big men that are walking down the hill and have kids with Power Five offers here and Power-Five offers there and things like that.”

Last time Hickory was in this West Regional Championship Game was 1996, and that is the last time the Tornadoes won a State Title in football…The Dudley Panthers have won Five State Titles over that time span…..

Go back on your Hickory Newspaper the day before the game and read what the Head Coach said about Dudley's Program and School History and the Community. Maybe do some homework on all the famous African Americans that Grad from Dudley. Then you wouldn't make that dumb comment trying to label those Students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT