ADVERTISEMENT

3A Western Finals: #4 Dudley at #2 Hickory

ForsythCo

Sep 23, 2016
Alright guys, I guess I'll get this started. Both teams are coming in undefeated with big wins over previously undefeated teams.

Dudley 46 - Crest 34
Hickory 28 - W. Henderson 16

I personally don't know much about Hickory so I will have to watch some film on them to gauge them, but I've watched Dudley pretty extensively and their most recent win over Crest.

Dudley's offense is so well balanced and disciplined. They're able to score quickly as well. Going against Crest high power offense, you start to see cracks, but they were able to hold them when it counted. Once I watch some Hickory film, I'll give my prediction but I'm rooting for the DBoyz for sure. 336!

What do y'all think?

Looking at Hickory's scheudle they seem to have been able to dominate every team they've played until W. Henderson. Dudley and Hickory do have a common opponent in W. Iredell. but both games were blowouts so it doesn't really tell me much of anything.

Reactions: beamer24
Hickory has the ability to throw it deep, but last night W. Henderson was able to pick off errant passes. The Tornadoes had at least one int in the end zone and one long ball that would have gone for six that was dropped. They played pretty good defense, but gave up some big plays to the Falcons and they can't afford that Friday night. I want Joe Glass to get to a state championship game as he previously took Concord Robinson to the regional finals and lost to Catholic. He's a Freedom grad (just like Mt. Airy coach J.K. Adkins and Bunker Hill coach Albert Reid). Glass applied for our job when we hired Luke Little and I think if we would have hired him instead he would have done great things for our program, but it was not to be. I think Dudley will be more athletic than any team the Tornadoes have seen so far and should win, but my heart is with Hickory in this one.

Hickory is a dangerous team. Love their Qb and offensive scheme. #2 is a Baller!! He impacts the game so much offensively and defensively. Their kicking game and special teams is A+.

Now on to Dudley. I honestly believe they are capable of playing with anyone in the state. Love Coach Davis. He really gets the best out his players. Their coaching staff is easily one of the state. Dudley is always blessed with talented players add that with experienced coaching, they are a FORCE!! Looking forward to this matchup

I have seen both teams play 1 time each …. I think Dudley wins. Not taking anything away from Hickory tho. Both of these the teams that I saw are complete teams with not many weaknesses…. I just think Dudley may a few more weapons. Either way I will be there to see who wins !!! Will be my last football game of the year so I’m hoping for a outstanding game and pulling for any West team to bring home a state title

Hickory is a dangerous team. Love their Qb and offensive scheme. #2 is a Baller!! He impacts the game so much offensively and defensively. Their kicking game and special teams is A+.

Now on to Dudley. I honestly believe they are capable of playing with anyone in the state. Love Coach Davis. He really gets the best out his players. Their coaching staff is easily one of the state. Dudley is always blessed with talented players add that with experienced coaching, they are a FORCE!! Looking forward to this matchup
Thanks Champ_24, Coach Glass has done a marvelous job with this team. He is fortunate to have a group of kids that have great chemistry and like each other as well. Glass won't change much in his plan other than what the Red Tornadoes need to do defensively. He's approached each game this year one at a time ad put the last game behind him quickly. Dudley looks very formidable, but that's why we play the game and that is to decide in on the gridiron. Go Red Tornadoes!

Crest could throw on Dudley's... Receivers just dropped a lot of passes... I think Hickory will hang tough with Dudley
I only seen a few highlights on Hickory and the QB, but looking at one key stat, I don't think Hickory's QB is a quick elusive runner like Huskey at Crest. What made him dangerous was his ability to get out the pocket scrambling when it collapse and avoid tackles and still launch a deep ball down the field to his speedy WRs. Huskey ran for over 600+ yards. Even with that Dudley chased him out the pocket and limited him from picking up big chunks. Dudley didn't allow I don't think any deep balls. Crest did burn them on Hook Patterns, but many of them Dudley's DBs was there to make the play or stop for short gains. However Dudley DBs didn't wrap up and get the WRs to the ground. The Wrs got away and ran for big yards. But Dudley sacked Huskey 3 Times, stopped him on a 4th and 1 at Dudley's 48 yard line and got 3 Ints when he threw that deadly deep ball to his speedy WRs. Dudley's Safeties didn't allow any of WRs to get past them and was near the ball when Crest tried to go deep. If Hickory QB is just a pocket QB {Looking at his rushing stats he only ran for under 80 yards for the season}. I think Dudley Big & Tall Defensive front 4 will clogged up the middle and eliminate the run. Crest had to run a outside QB read option to get any running going. They didn't get any runs up the middle. I know we have to play the game, but I can't see Hickory WRs being more faster than Crest WRs. Yes Crest WRs dropped some early Post Patterns in the 1st half. But I think they was worried about a Dudley DB being near by to tackle. I am curious how Hickory's QB handle that Dudley Defense pressure when his pocket closes in. I don't think Hickory faces a Defensive front 4 this tall and huge and fast. That front 7 is fast. But I not going into this game thinking it will be a cake walk or blowout. But I know Dudley is playing with a Chip on their shoulders for that 1.)4th seed 2.) People reminding them of that 2nd round upset blow out loss to SOUTH POINT last season at Dudley. It's been burning a hole throughout that team and coaches and fans. 3.) Dudley hasn't played anybody and their conference was weak. Honestly it pisst them out.

Last edited:
Looks like some rain in the forecast for Friday and into the weekend if It holds up. Just have to wear rain gear. Also Hickory has really nice turf. Have a friend that went to the game last week and complimented that was one of the nicest turf he seen.
The rain just ruins everything. I wonder if the games are at risk of being moved.

Looks like some rain in the forecast for Friday and into the weekend if It holds up. Just have to wear rain gear. Also Hickory has really nice turf. Have a friend that went to the game last week and complimented that was one of the nicest turf he seen.
How's that rubber grass when its wet?

• Haha
Reactions: Chopper747
Like our old Strength and Condition Coach Mac used to say. It's raining? Looks like football weather to me! Let them play! DBoyz would play in the lightning if they could. Of course I'm joking about the lightning part😆
I'm speaking more so for the fans. For the players it is what it is, but a rainy night definitely makes fans think twice about traveling.

I'm speaking more so for the fans. For the players it is what it is, but a rainy night definitely makes fans think twice about traveling.
Yes, I want to see another huge crowd like was at Boiling Springs Crest. That was a Texas, Florida, South Carolina type High School atmosphere. People from surrounding schools in the area. It's already cold, but add the rain it will chase off many Elders, Students and Women. Only Middle Age Men will show up {Like myself}LOL! I heard today that maybe Dudley's Marching Band may make this trip since they didn't attend last week.

Last edited:
Yes, I want to see another huge crowd like was at Boiling Springs Crest. That was a Texas, Florida, South Carolina type High School atmosphere. People from surrounding schools in the area. It's already cold, but add the rain it will chase off many Elders, Students and Women. Only Middle Age Men will show up {Like myself}LOL! I heard today that maybe Dudley's Marching Band may make this trip since they didn't attend last week.
let us know if you find out if dudley's band is coming... Thanks

Reactions: P.Saunders
With the phone sometimes it hard get clear what the weather forecast is going to be. Especially days ahead. But with Hickory forcast it shows 45% on Friday and 55% on Saturday as of now. But question is When will the rain begin on Friday and how much will it be. Could possibly the rain start late Friday. That is be yet to be seen.

Well according to what I just looked at it’s supposed to rain .05 inches at 11 am … so technically it’s going to rain on Friday but that’s not what we are thinking about when it says “rain”😂

Jokinly I said with the size of of the players that Dudley got. They don’t need to play Hickory. They need to play Lenoir Rhyne. Lol. Anyway safe travels to the Dudley fans and all that is heading to the game. Also having a safe game with no injuries and best of luck.
They are huge!!! No lie … man what teams size and speed they do have . I can’t wait till Friday night. Will be my last football game to watch of the season. I have seen some outstanding football this year Crest , KM, Shelby, Burns, West Hendo, Hickory South point…and more. Seen some killer games this year

Edit … I can’t leave out Dudley and West Charlotte they stand out also as great footbal

They are huge!!! No lie … man what teams size and speed they do have . I can’t wait till Friday night. Will be my last football game to watch of the season. I have seen some outstanding football this year Crest , KM, Shelby, Burns, West Hendo, Hickory South point…and more. Seen some killer games this year

Edit … I can’t leave out Dudley and West Charlotte they stand out also as great footbal
And most of Dudley team is Junior laden!

So I look on my weather app for Hickory and it show flurries at 36 degrees at around 5:20am. lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT