ADVERTISEMENT

#3 Hoggard @ #2 Cleveland- Rd 4 playoffs

FB fan 92

Sep 26, 2022
The Vikings travel to JoCo to face the Rams in a rematch of a week 1 game. The first meeting at Hoggard was an exciting back-and-forth game that saw Cleveland win 28-20. What are you expecting out of this win or go home round 4 game?

Week 1 was a fun game. Byrd was very impressive throwing the ball. Hoggard played soft as they were starting a CB that is #6 on the depth chart. Cleveland took advantage of that with 2 long TD passes. Cleveland had 1 nice drive for a score and a pic 6. Cleveland defense was strong enough to withstand Hoggards comeback and won 28-20. I felt Cleveland played better than Hoggard and deserved the win but I also thought Hoggard can beat this team. Now 13 weeks later which team has improved the most and which team has stayed the healthiest?
Hoggards starting defense has given up 59 points this year, thats it and the Rams have 21 of those points. Hoggards starters have played all 4 quarters in only 3 game.. Their offense is averaging 42 ppg. The offensive line is anchored by two D1 players in Jason Smith and Michael Gibbs. Qb Hudson Wilharm leads the offense and has been the best QB in SE NC.
I expect this game to be close. Penalties and turnovers may be the difference.

Week 1 was a fun game. Byrd was very impressive throwing the ball. Hoggard played soft as they were starting a CB that is #6 on the depth chart. Cleveland took advantage of that with 2 long TD passes. Cleveland had 1 nice drive for a score and a pic 6. Cleveland defense was strong enough to withstand Hoggards comeback and won 28-20. I felt Cleveland played better than Hoggard and deserved the win but I also thought Hoggard can beat this team. Now 13 weeks later which team has improved the most and which team has stayed the healthiest?
Hoggards starting defense has given up 59 points this year, thats it and the Rams have 21 of those points. Hoggards starters have played all 4 quarters in only 3 game.. Their offense is averaging 42 ppg. The offensive line is anchored by two D1 players in Jason Smith and Michael Gibbs. Qb Hudson Wilharm leads the offense and has been the best QB in SE NC.
I expect this game to be close. Penalties and turnovers may be the difference.
One thing I would note about that first game was that Byrd did not play a significant amount in the second half. He went out early in the third quarter with leg cramps. Then the back up quarterback got hurt and the third string quarterback came in for one round of downs. Eventually, the second string quarterback came back in to finish out the game. I was hoping to look back at the video from that game, but I did not find it in our video library.

I am expecting a close game. And I’m sure both teams have greatly improved over the course of the year. I think there were a lot of penalties in that first game if I’m not mistaken. Let’s hope that’s not the case this game.

Reactions: portcity FB
I don't know much about Cleveland but I have read some really good things about them. They have a shot representing the East.

In the first game Cleveland ran 18 times for 36 yards. Hoggard ran 32 times for 88 yards. That is not great for either team. I think Hoggard will try to establish the run game and control the clock. Hoggards run defense has been very good. They held Jordan to 150 yards and probably 40 of those were on backups in the 4th qrt, and I am not sure how many teams in the East could do that. They will try to make the Rams 1 dimensional and let their ball hawk safeties make plays. Malakahi West is a force at OLB and will need to be the best player on that side of the ball for Hoggard. The Elon commit had 10.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss entering the playoffs. His numbers are down from last year but he is doubled almost every play. Hoggard has 19 int on the year and will need a few more this week.
Byrd can throw the ball and his WRs flat out make plays. Hard to play press coverage on them, as NB found out. I look for Hoggard to play soft and make them execute and drive the field.

Reactions: FB fan 92
Congratulations portcity on a convincing win. You guys earned that W. Good luck to you the rest of the way.

Congratulations portcity on a convincing win. You guys earned that W. Good luck to you the rest of the way.
What a great game and a great playoff atmosphere. Cleveland took away Hoggards run game and Hoggard slowed Clevelands pass game. Cleveland held Hoggard to only 62 rushing yards and did a great job all night by bringing an extra guy in the box. Hoggard played a little deeper and West brought pressure all night and held Byrd to 14-34 and had 3 int and 1 pick 6. Stokes was great with 191 yards rushing but Hoggards WIlharm was even better throwing for 385 and 6 TD. I also thought Goings was awesome with 193 yards receiving. He made plays all night. Hoggards WRs Nas Sessions was just as impressive with 167 yards rec and 4 TDs and Blake Edwards had 15 rec for 170 yards a TD. Cleveland has a lot of talent and a lot of young talent and will be very good next year. If these teams played 10 times they would probably be 5-5. Go Vikes!

No animosity. Cleveland is always good and very good in a bad conference.
The only conference that got six teams in from the east this year. The only conference that had three teams in the round of 16. The only team that had played Hoggard and beat them earlier this year.

And who is your team?

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
The only conference that got six teams in from the east this year. The only conference that had three teams in the round of 16. The only team that had played Hoggard and beat them earlier this year.

And who is your team?
I hear the same thing about our conf. The MEC had Hoggard, NH, Laney, Ashley and N. Brunswick win 1st round games. The MEC now has a 10-4 record this year in the playoffs. I have seen as much football as anyone and Cleveland can play with anyone.

Last year I picked Grimsley to beat NB but I thought NB would play with them and I was not shocked they won. I was shocked they did not throw 1 pass. I do not recall 1 single poster from the West that gave NB a shot. I do not think there is any team left that cant be beaten.

Reactions: ncjeff
Based on what. Why the animosity?
I do not think this post was posted with animosity. Cleveland is a very good football team. They are still adjusting from 3A to 4A. I also think what the poster meant by posting is JOCO is not Raleigh or Charlotte or even Winston Salem/Greensboro.

I do not think this post was posted with animosity. Cleveland is a very good football team. They are still adjusting from 3A to 4A. I also think what the poster meant by posting is JOCO is not Raleigh or Charlotte or even Winston Salem/Greensboro.
I hear what you’re saying. However, I’m the only Cleveland poster on this website that I have seen. I tried to show some graciousness in defeat by giving a shout out to Hoggard. This post came from nowhere and was disrespectful and showed that this poster has no knowledge of the Cleveland program and what they have done.

To your point, Cleveland has had a varsity football program for 13 years. In that time they have been to one state championship game (3AA), three regional finals, and every year of it’s existence has been to the playoffs and won at least their first round game. 80% win percentage all time. They are 35–11 against Raleigh teams and if you want to expand it to Durham and Chapel Hill (triangle teams) teams then it’s 42–14. Many of those victories came when CvHS was 3A playing against 4A teams.

The only Raleigh team that has a winning record against us is Cardinal Gibbons. 1-2 against them all time. Rolesville seems to be the standard lately and we are 2-1 against them all time.

So your argument was that the Raleigh teams are the standard and that Cleveland is trying to get used to playing them. That argument doesn’t hold water. Give me your next argument.

Cleveland has had its ups and downs but are undeterred in chasing a championship. Just don’t insult or belittle the work that our players have put in because you are not familiar with our team. And that’s what the original poster did when he said we were a medium fish in a small pond. We play whoever is put in front of us.

Cleveland hasn’t won that championship yet but we have lost to some good teams in close games to close out our seasons i.e. ‘20 Mt. Tabor (state championship) ‘21 Cardinal Gibbons (state champion), ‘22 Rolesville, and ‘23 Hoggard.

Tell me how your teams started out their first 13 years.

My team????? I have no team. But again I don’t think there is any disrespect so you can calm down a little. Again they are a good team

I think his comment was a jab. Cleveland can not control its conference opponents. What they have done the last 5-6 seasons is as good as just about anyone in the East. They are trying to get over the hump. Reminds me of WF as they fell short many years before getting over the hump. WF had some great teams before they won it all. Just because the West has a better team or even 2-3 better teams doesnt mean the East rep is not good. The Charlott/Greensboro/WS areas should have some very good football teams. There are close to 4 million people that live in those areas. The Raleigh area has half of that.

Ok no one said Cleveland bad. Having experience in the East and the west I have a view on what region has better football year in and out and why. Now I will say this NC football is very good and has a ton of talent so that’s that. But when you added up all the population you added Charlotte Winston/Greensboro against Raleigh. What about Fayetteville , Durham and Wilmington. I bet the population plus Raleigh of those three areas are pretty close to Charlotte Winston/greensboro. We can play the this team is better than this team but when you got teams like East Forsyth being bounced 2nd round that says something To me Raleigh the city is where Charlotte was in 2005. An area about to explode explode but Charlotte cares about football a little bit more than Raleigh. Maybe that’s due to the makeup of the cities the proximity to South Carolina the panthers being there who knows. Now on 10 years who knows how things will be I will be long gone by then.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT