ADVERTISEMENT

West Henderson at Hickory Round 4

You win and advance and that's what Hickory did tonight. The Red Tornado defense played lights out, limiting any run yardage between the ends, but again gave up a couple of touchdowns late they shouldn't have. Congratulations to West Henderson on a fine season. Manuel carried your team tonight. He will sleep well for sure. The WH defense kept the Red Tornadoes off balance with some timely blitzes and overall good run defense between the ends as well. On to next week and HHS will be able to host another round as Dudley knocked off Crest 46-34 this evening.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Hickory for the win! What a game. Tough and physical. Also congratulations to West Henderson for making the run like they did. They didn’t give up after being down 28-3. On to next rd against a tough Dudley team. Also good to meet CHEERDUCK.

Congratulations to Hickory for the win! What a game. Tough and physical. Also congratulations to West Henderson for making the run like they did. They didn’t give up after being down 28-3. On to next rd against a tough Dudley team. Also good to meet CHEERDUCK.
It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win! It was good to meet you Vik-Val 86, Come back anytime.

Congratulations Hickory but You better put your big-boy pants on next week. Dudley is big, fast and smart. Ah and did I say big. 6’2” defensive backs and jumbo O & D linemen. I haven’t seen Hickory this year and you guys might have the key to lock them up, but I doubt it. I didn’t expect Dudley to get past Crest. The second half was all Dudley, starting with the kickoff. Ah and did I say fast. Dudley played a turnover free game with very few mistakes on defense. Ah and did I say smart.
Dudley by 21+. And I have nothing at all against Hickory. I don’t have a dog in the fight.

Congratulations Hickory but You better put your big-boy pants on next week. Dudley is big, fast and smart. Ah and did I say big. 6’2” defensive backs and jumbo O & D linemen. I haven’t seen Hickory this year and you guys might have the key to lock them up, but I doubt it. I didn’t expect Dudley to get past Crest. The second half was all Dudley, starting with the kickoff. Ah and did I say fast. Dudley played a turnover free game with very few mistakes on defense. Ah and did I say smart.
Dudley by 21+. And I have nothing at all against Hickory. I don’t have a dog in the fight.
Seems like I’ve heard this for 3 weeks in a row now…

Seems like WH probably came out a little flat as I expected but then again this was by far the best competition WH has seen all year. A weaker schedule usually won’t show in first couple rounds of playoffs but it eventually will.

Reactions: daletec
There are some mental mistakes that Hickory needs to correct before they play Dudley.

For example, the Red Tornadoes got off a good punt late in the game and it was rolling inside the five. The player covering the kick could have touched it down at any point, but he let it roll inside the one before he downed it. The problem was that he was standing in the end zone when he did and it was ruled a touchback, bringing the ball back out to the 20. I can't blame the kid for wanting to make a big play, and it is easy to get confused between what is the high school, college or pro rule about these things, but they would have been better off taking a "good enough" play of him downing it at the two- or three-yard line.

Then later Hickory had the ball and just needed to run it to eat up some clock. Instead, they tried a read-option handoff and fumbled. At that point in the game there was no need to do anything complicated just hand it off up the middle or run the keeper-all you want to do is run down the clock. There are other mistakes, and no one expects kids to play a perfect game, but those are the kinds of things that could make the difference against a team like Dudley.

There are some mental mistakes that Hickory needs to correct before they play Dudley.

For example, the Red Tornadoes got off a good punt late in the game and it was rolling inside the five. The player covering the kick could have touched it down at any point, but he let it roll inside the one before he downed it. The problem was that he was standing in the end zone when he did and it was ruled a touchback, bringing the ball back out to the 20. I can't blame the kid for wanting to make a big play, and it is easy to get confused between what is the high school, college or pro rule about these things, but they would have been better off taking a "good enough" play of him downing it at the two- or three-yard line.

Then later Hickory had the ball and just needed to run it to eat up some clock. Instead, they tried a read-option handoff and fumbled. At that point in the game there was no need to do anything complicated just hand it off up the middle or run the keeper-all you want to do is run down the clock. There are other mistakes, and no one expects kids to play a perfect game, but those are the kinds of things that could make the difference against a team like Dudley.
Joe's team makes mistakes, but their attention to detail is far greater than these two examples of mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT