ADVERTISEMENT

Swain vs Murphy

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
well it's finally Swain - Murphy week, thoughts?

for me it all comes down to the battle in the trenches, whoever wins the war up front will win the game. And right now I'd have to give the edge in that department to Swain, especially since 'Dogs are without Stafford.

I think the game will be more competitive than I thought it would be 2 weeks ago. I believe the 'Dogs righted the ship during the bye week, but again not sure Murphy has the goods up front to go in to Swain and get a win.

so early prediction from me, Swain by 7. hope to be wrong though!

Last edited:
I've seen both teams play If Murphy can move the ball down filed consistently and hold off Swains front they'll win I feel like Murphy has to make BIG plays down field to win they aren't going to be able to run much on Swain. Swain wins if they control the ball and don't make dumb mistakes and don't turn the ball over. Right now I would Say Swain by 10.

Seems like all the SMC teams have had their share of injuries this season but none more than the Maroon Devils. Just as it looks like they are getting healed up for a good post season run, the starting QB goes out early with a shoulder injury against Rosman. I don't know the extent of his injuries and certainly hope he can come back this season at some point.

On the bright side, the replacement at QB had an excellent game running the ball. The Devils also have a wealth of RBs with at least five different guys running the ball against the Tigers. Keep an eye out for #28 for I believe he is finally healthy and this could be a breakout game for him.

Expect the normal from the Devils offense......run the ball between the tackles with three yards and a cloud of dust. The defense had a tough time handling Rosman's Gage Orr but what team hasn't. All in all, I believe the battle of the lines will determine the outcome of this game and I think Swain has the advantage there along with the home field advantage as well. I'll take the Devils by 7.

The team that controls the time of possession and limits turnovers wins.
Murphy's offense isn't designed to control time of posession, it's been a quick strike offense since 2008, so if that's the winning formula they've already lost.

To me it will be the battle up front and turnovers, as it is in most football games with close matched teams.

Exactly mbd ;)

Seriously though, if Swain can do what they have the last few weeks and run the veer to perfection, chew up the clock, prevent turnovers, and be physical on defense I like their chances.

If Murphy comes out of the gate quick and forces a turnover and capitalizes with quick strikes, it might snowball quickly.

Reactions: mbdfan
I think if Murphy can get a few stops early and gain some confidence on defense, they could keep theirselves in the game. Im not totally sold on our qb situation. Who exactly does Swain prepare for? A young duel threat qb who can burn you thru the air and on the ground or a veteran qb who has led teams to numerous wins in pressure packed situations?

This thread needs to get to about 6 pages. All of us here in NCPrepsland need you guys to pick up your efforts a little bit. We're just not seeing enough out of you guys! :cool:

The last time Swain and Murphy fans (and players) got in a real tangle (1969), they put up cyclone fences around all the fields in the SMC the next year. :) Hope we never see the likes of that again.

Reactions: WMFootballFanatic
I kinda like Murphy's spot here. This is one of the few cases where Murphy could be called a decided underdog. Most of the time in this situation over the years, Murphy has played well against whoever and either pulled the upset or kept it very close.

Been a loooong time since Murphy has got a coveted win in Bryson City. I always see Swain as a favorite when we have to play over there. Hard to beileve this thread only has 10 comments.

I think the game this friday will be played on a dry field for the most part with the rain getting out of here by Thursday....A dry field helps Murphy and McRae....With that said, the Bulldogs are going to have to slow down the Swain rushing attack, or it's going to be a long night....As mentioned above, Swain has a stable of big RBs who run primarily run between the tackles, so the LBers are going to have to be able to get off blocks to limit the yardage....Rosman was not able to do that consistently enough to slow down the Swain attack that put 2 TDs on the board in each half....

Swain's defense is physical, but there are opportunities to break a big play here and there as the Tigers did last friday....

Turnovers are always big, and most of the time is the deciding factor as mbdfan mentioned above....Rosman had two or three opportunities to recover fumbles, but recovered NONE of them, while Swain recovered 2 Tiger miscues, and made the Tigers pay for it both times...

If I had to pick a winner, I would probably pick Swain in a close one since they seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, and are playing the best football of the season right now....Losing a starting QB right before this game is concerning but as Diablo pointed out above, the starter was injured in the first quarter before any of the scoring occurred, so the backup is more than capable of doing the job IMO....

Good luck to both the Bulldogs and Maroondevils this friday!

Roar Tigers Roar!

This thread needs to get to about 6 pages. All of us here in NCPrepsland need you guys to pick up your efforts a little bit. We're just not seeing enough out of you guys! :cool:

Hey Fanatic, careful what you say "Were just not seeing enough of you guys!" Might just happen sooner than ya think. I really hope the Devils get the chance to come your way again. They are getting well and seem to be peeking at just the right time.

I thought the brawl was in 1968 at the old Swain field with Murphy winning 20-14? Before my time watching games.......

Hey Fanatic, careful what you say "Were just not seeing enough of you guys!" Might just happen sooner than ya think. I really hope the Devils get the chance to come your way again. They are getting well and seem to be peeking at just the right time.

If we get you guys Diablo, I hope it's in 6 weeks and definitely in Wadeville! Be there or be square. Best of luck to you guys between now and then.

I thought the brawl was in 1968 at the old Swain field with Murphy winning 20-14? Before my time watching games.......

No, I think it was '69 (but it might have been '70). The score was 44-22 in favor of Murphy, and I think both teams were tied for the conference lead, so the game was for the championship and the only playoff berth available in those days. There were several thousand people there and both sidelines were packed, and the little low single-strand cable fence that was all that separated the stands from the field was lined two or three deep too. Emotions were running high that night, and late in the game some Swain boys' frustrations boiled over and a fight broke out on the field, and pretty soon people from both sidelines were streaming in to help (one way or another :) ) Several hundred people, maybe a thousand, ended up on the field before it was over. And the next year the conference mandated cyclone fencing to separate the fields from the stands at all members' stadiums. That's how I remember it, anyway. Fans were much more involved in the game in the days before cell phones and other distractions (not to mention that it was pretty much the only entertainment going in Bryson City that night, unless you wanted to stay home and watch TV).

We got all three, ABC. NBC, and CBS! If we changed from one channel to another, someone had to go outside and turn the antenna. I remember because there were six of us kids and we played rock-paper-scissors to see who had to go to the antenna.
LOL.....AND if the wind was blowing, chances were you went back out and adjusted the antenna several times a day!!

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
We got all three, ABC. NBC, and CBS! If we changed from one channel to another, someone had to go outside and turn the antenna. I remember because there were six of us kids and we played rock-paper-scissors to see who had to go to the antenna.

We got two (ABC and NBC), and sometimes we got the Knoxville station on channel 6 (also NBC, but they had some different local programming). And once in a great while one of the UHF stations would be clear enough to actually watch. Sometime in the early 70s I think they moved the translators around, because we lost ABC (out of Asheville) and picked up the CBS station in Spartanburg. Depended on which way your holler was facing, I think, unless you were lucky (as you apparently were) and could see them all!

Lucky us, we got to see both Mr. Bill *and* Monty and Doohickey. We missed out on Captain Kangaroo, though, and only saw Mr. Rogers once in a great while.

And going down to see my grandparents in Forest City was a big treat too... they got lots more stations than we did, and had color TV AND a motorized antenna rotator thingie... all you had to do was turn a big dial on a box on top of the TV, and the motor turned the antenna to get clear reception of whatever station you wanted! Luxury! (And high tech. :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: knine1
Wow all I can say is that the scheduling Gods must have known what they were doing when they changed up the SMC schedule. Swain County @ Robbinsville for the last game of the year to decide the SMC Championship. Good thing they can go ahead and get this game out of the way to make way for the ultimate matchup in the conference this year!!! :D

"all you had to do was turn a big dial on a box on top of the TV, and the motor turned the antenna to get clear reception of whatever station you wanted! Luxury! (And high tech. :) )"

Whaaaaaa? AMAZING!......Where can I find one of those boxes?

Wow all I can say is that the scheduling Gods must have known what they were doing when they changed up the SMC schedule. Swain County @ Robbinsville for the last game of the year to decide the SMC Championship. Good thing they can go ahead and get this game out of the way to make way for the ultimate matchup in the conference this year!!! :D

One game at a time. :) I'd much rather Swain and Rville be going at it head-to-head for the outright title than Swain having to win to scrape into a three-way tie. But... we'll see what shakes out. I like the Devils' chances this week, especially since they're playing at home, which seems to be a big advantage in this series, but high-school football being what it is, they still have to play the game... and I don't have to tell anybody who's been playing in the picks contest this year, it ain't over till it's over. :)

Reactions: Fourth'n'Inches
Didn't the Pup's lose to R-Ville already? ROFLMAO. Hope uns are digging my profile pic.

You girls are being so NICE and SWEET on this thread. Are you all planning on meetin' at Topton for tea and crumpetts?

Next week will be a scorchin' Rville/Swain thread ... BK will come on here and make a couple of posts and it will have you all totally bent out of shape and hatin' on the entire population of Graham County. Wait for it .........

You girls are being so NICE and SWEET on this thread. Are you all planning on meetin' at Topton for tea and crumpetts?

Next week will be a scorchin' Rville/Swain thread ... BK will come on here and make a couple of posts and it will have you all totally bent out of shape and hatin' on the entire population of Graham County. Wait for it .........
Oh I see Zuma has made an appearance ... I retract my last post about Nice and Sweet. LOLOL

Hey, we had our knock-down-drag-out nearly 50 years ago, and been acting civilized towards each other ever since. :) But Swain and Cherokee and Robbinsville bust each other in the head and don't think twice about it. We can be serious rivals with Sylva or Murphy... but your cuz or next-door neighbor? It's all in the family, the good and the bad. :)

But most of us who grew up in WNC have relatives all over the mountains. Besides Swain, I have people in Graham, Jackson, Haywood, Buncombe, Rutherford, and Cleveland counties (that I know of), and married into Cherokee and Transylvania... and I bet most of the rest of the SMC posters could list at least as many local connections, if not more.

Last edited:
Yea OMD I posted on the Cherokee/Rville thread that I think the Braves get up for Rville because of the Native America community here in Graham County ... it's a kinfolk/friend thing.

I'm also a former 3 channel / turn the dang antenna / holler out the door when the picture comes in / smoky mountain kid. I enjoyed everybody's jokes about television in "the good ole days".

Reactions: OldMaroonDevil
Not much to say really. Swain was the better team. Both played sloppy. Overall a good win for the Devils.

Swain made the plays when it counted the most, and kept Murphy out of the endzone in the 2nd half. The penalties that Murphy inflicted on themselves were just salting the ol wound. I will say that game just didnt have the same vibe as years ago murphy/swain games. Not once did I hear MA ROON MA CHINE and just didnt have the "A" typical electric atmosphere

[QUOTE="MHS-88, I will say that game just didnt have the same vibe as years ago murphy/swain games. Not once did I hear MA ROON MA CHINE and just didnt have the "A" typical electric atmosphere[/QUOTE]

Would that be because you know the dogs or devils ain't the best team in the SMC this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT