ADVERTISEMENT

SMC 2023

HHSPA

Aug 5, 2023
We're a full week into practice without a dedicated SMC thread, so I figured I would get the banter started. SMC may have the most parity it has had #2-6 in a long time. Obviously Robbinsville is the overwhelming favorite to win the SMC this year and rightfully so. Other that here is my prediction for the rankings this year.

#1 Robbinsville
#T2 Hayesville
#T2 Murphy
#T2 Swain
#5 Andrews
#6 Cherokee

Feel free to tear my predictions apart but at least give a reason why to keep the conversation going.

Best of luck to each SMC team, hope everyone is staying healthy in camp.

Reactions: RealStihl
Robbinsville maybe
Swain
Murphy
Andrews not many seniors but good line
Hayesville
Cherokee

Swain will have more seniors that the others.
Andrews will have the best line.

I just don't know if the Devils can score. Hard to win games when its four and out. Herd we looked good in an early 7 on 7, but that's not the real deal. Personally if the O could score three TD's a game I think we might win six maybe seven games. But then there's injuries and just getting snake it in a big game that worries me.

Robbinsville
Swain
Murphy
Haynesville
Andrew
Cherokee

Swain offense is the biggest question mark this year, If Swain comes out 4 wide I don't see any improvement from last year offense but if they are in a heavy run set I think they will be a team that will surprise a lot of people. Their Defense will be one of the top Defense this year and will keep swain in every game this year.

Robbinsville
Andrews
Swain
Murphy
Haysville
Cherokee

Robbinsville will have the best skilled players on both sides of the ball. Andrews will have the best line both sides of the ball and a good group of junior skill kids Swains offense is a question mark but should be good defensively. Murphy lost a lot not sure this will be the year they reload. Just not sure haysville and Cherokee will have the boys up front to compete

Robbinsville
Murphy
#T3 Hayesville
#T3 Swain
#T3 Andrews
Cherokee

I can not see Swain beating Robbinsville or murphy with that offence. Murphy always loses a lot but always replaces them. Hayesville returning most of there starters and they beat swain handily last year. Andrews strength will be there line but they not gonna have the same backs. Cherokee could sneak up there in the middle of the pack.

I think Cherokee will be 2-8
I wanted to pick hayesville over Andrews but I went with the line of Andrews.

I think this will be the worst Murphy team in a decade or so. Still good enough for top 3

I think this will be the worst Murphy team in a decade or so. Still good enough for top 3

What am I missing on Murphy? Other than Stalcup what will Murphy have? Serious question, and not trying to knock their kids. I saw on here that they lost Turner and Pinkerton, both of those will hurt immediately and for the next few seasons. Just seems kinda odd you say it will be the worst Murphy team in a decade or so yet they will still be top 3. SMC down that bad this year?

I think that RB will keep them in the top three.
I can't think of the last time they wasn't in the top 3.

I would have said Cherokee wouldn't be last in conference but then BK swooped in LOL and stole Braves star player to be there 3rd string runningback so looks like another long year for the Braves.

I would have said Cherokee wouldn't be last in conference but then BK swooped in LOL and stole Braves star player to be there 3rd string runningback so looks like another long year for the Braves.

Plus a new coach

Murphy may struggle some this year but it’s not like they don’t have good players. They do have good players, they are just a young team overall. Most of the youngsters on the team have played on JV championship teams. Give them a year or two and they will be fine…and Murphy will have a solid JV team this year too that will help down the road as long as it stays healthy and together.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
We all know great backs can do great things and make something out of nothing. But without top notch linemen their production can go down drastically. Then a long season of taking a beating really takes a toll on even the best of backs.

Yeah I'd be surprised if he gets 2,200 again.
1,500 would still be very impressive.

In all honesty with the depth they have Dee can reduce his number of carries and keep him fresher for the playoffs. The flip side is that he should have more opportunities for big plays as teams can not make him their primary focus.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I was talking about Murphy RB.
Adams is getting more than 1,500.
I was too. I’m not taking anything away from the young man because he has speed and great balance while running. BUT they lost so many big senior horses on that line it’s hard to imagine he could have the year he had last year. Not impossible but he had the huge holes to run through. If they run him 29 times a game it could be a tough time for him in my humble opinion

Reactions: BK13T-$
I was talking about Murphy RB.
Adams is getting more than 1,500.
This will be the hardest year for Adams to do it and for 3 reason. Reason 1 They got the new kid from Cherokee and Williams back so probably gonna have to share the ball more. 2 A young Line Robbinsville Line is young but got a lot of potential. 3 strength of schedule. Robbinsville got a tuff Non conference schedule only one i can really see they will win handily the others there gonna have to work for it. Good luck to the young man I hope you hit another 2000 yard season and make it impossible for someone to catch you.

Last edited:
This will be the hardest year for Adams to do it and for 3 reason. Reason 1 They got the new kid from Cherokee and Williams back so probably gonna have to share the ball more. 2 A young Line Robbinsville Line is young but got a lot of potential. 3 strength of schedule. Robbinsville got a tuff Non conference schedule only one i can really see they will win handily the others there gonna have to work for it. Good luck to the young man I hope you hit another 2000 yard season and make it impossible for someone to catch you.
Reason number 1 does nothing but help Adams get more yardage. Yes he will share the load a little more but defenses can’t key on just him now.

It's a little different because you can live in the Swain (or Smoky Mountain) district and the Cherokee district at the same time.

Here's Cherokee's school district rule:

"The geographical boundaries for the Cherokee Central School System shall be the geographical limits of Cherokee trust lands in Jackson County and Swain County including the Qualla Boundary and 3,200-acre tract. Children who live near or adjacent to Cherokee trust lands may also attend the Cherokee Central School."

And here's Swain's rule about EBCI land:

"Any student who resides in Swain County and lives on the Cherokee Indian Reservation may choose to attend Swain County Schools, subject to the following limitations:

1. The board may deny admission to a student who is under suspension or has been expelled from the Cherokee Indian Schools at the time of the admission request. Admission may be denied until the suspension has expired.

2. Students who transfer during the school term from the Cherokee Indian Schools will not be eligible to participate in any interscholastic sport in which they have already competed during that school year."

Cherokee district only says Jackson and Swain, not Graham or Cherokee Counties trust lands. But honestly, you can interpret that "near or adjacent to Cherokee trust lands" part of the Cherokee school district to have it overlap with parts of Robbinsville, Andrews, Murphy and Tuscola district, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT