ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Hayesville

Usdi Watali

Aug 23, 2022
Should be a competitive matchup

Last night Swain handled Andrews in all facets of the game.

Unfortunately they still put the ball on the ground and had a multitude of drive stalling penalties. The good news though is none of the flags were for unsportsmanlike conduct or personal fouls. Swain had success on the ground but threw the ball more this game than they had all year; despite scoring through the air and having more air yds than ground yds near halftime there was still 2 or so balls that should’ve/could’ve been intercepted. If Swain wants to actually incorporate the pass game they need to really tighten things up and work on the pass blocking.

Murphy fans, how did Hayesville look? The score suggests a real close game but was that really the case? Thank you in advance.

I personally think Swain should keep rolling if they are legit challengers for the SMC, but the penalties/constant turnovers concern me against a much improved, battle tested Hayesville at home.

I guess we will see Friday

Swain: 21
Hayesville: 14

Last edited:
Murphy fans, how did Hayesville look? The score suggests a real close game but was that really the case?
Hayesville looks like an SMC team again for the first time in a long time, both stylistically and physically. McClure is a great player on defense, probably the best defensive player in the conference. Hayesville has a pretty good defense overall but they're fairly limited offensively in my opinion. They have the same issue that Murphy has in that they offer very little threat in the passing game against good opposition.

As far as the game itself, even though it was the same margin of victory as last year's game, I thought Hayesville played Murphy much closer this year (last year's game wasn't as close as the score). I thought the better team won last night but there wasn't a lot separating them truthfully, both teams committed way too many penalties and that's been a pretty consistent theme for Murphy this season. Stalcup uncharacteristically had two fumbles for Murphy as well.

I think both Murphy and Hayesville will be competitive in the conference and in the playoffs but both are too one dimensional offensively to seriously challenge the Mount Airy's and Robbinsville's at the top of 1A.

As far as Hayesville and Swain goes, it should be a pretty good game, I wouldn't expect a ton of scoring. My early prediction would be something like 21 - 7 in favor of Swain. I'd be pretty surprised if Swain scores the 35 on Hayesville that you predicted given Swain hasn't scored that much on worse defenses than Hayesville's thus far.

Last edited:
Swain has played 6 games vs teams that have a combined record of 13-24. Andrews was their only opponent who had more than 2 wins. I wonder if that means anything in their 6-0 start to their season.
Just for comparison, Hayesville's opponents are 16-19 and Hayesville has 1 win over a team with a winning record. If you take out Pisgah (6-0) and Murphy (5-1) then Hayesville's opponents are 5-18.

Reactions: Usdi Watali
Swain has played 6 games vs teams that have a combined record of 13-24. Andrews was their only opponent who had more than 2 wins. I wonder if that means anything in their 6-0 start to their season.
Definitely could be, at the beginning of the year that slate definitely held more weight.

I am very critical of Swain. They have to be in double digits fumble/turnover wise this year already, have a ton of penalties both procedurally and personally every game and several interceptions on the year as well. They have played far better as the year has progressed and last night was a small glimpse of what could be. That said, after reading a bit about the game last night between y’all I’m expecting more of a close fought battle that could go south for either team if they can’t play a clean game. Thank you for the input.

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
Just for comparison, Hayesville's opponents are 16-19 and Hayesville has 1 win over a team with a winning record. If you take out Pisgah (6-0) and Murphy (5-1) then Hayesville's opponents are 5-18.
Thanks for the insight, fortunately records tend to go out the window in conference unless the gap is really wide talent wise, I think Hayesville vs Swain couldn’t have came at a better time of the season for both teams.

Hayesville looks like an SMC team again for the first time in a long time, both stylistically and physically. McClure is a great player on defense, probably the best defensive player in the conference. Hayesville has a pretty good defense overall but they're fairly limited offensively in my opinion. They have the same issue that Murphy has in that they offer very little threat in the passing game against good opposition.

As far as the game itself, even though it was the same margin of victory as last year's game, I thought Hayesville played Murphy much closer this year (last year's game wasn't as close as the score). I thought the better team won last night but there wasn't a lot separating them truthfully, both teams committed way too many penalties and that's been a pretty consistent theme for Murphy this season. Stalcup uncharacteristically had two fumbles for Murphy as well.

I think both Murphy and Hayesville will be competitive in the conference and in the playoffs but both are too one dimensional offensively to seriously challenge the Mount Airy's and Robbinsville's at the top of 1A.

As far as Hayesville and Swain goes, it should be a pretty good game, I wouldn't expect a ton of scoring. My early prediction would be something like 21 - 7 in favor of Swain. I'd be pretty surprised if Swain scores the 35 on Hayesville that you predicted given Swain hasn't scored that much on worse defenses than Hayesville's thus far.

That is wonderful news to hear about Hayesville seeing a return to form. I figured that was the case from what I have been gleaning so it’s quiet nice to have it confirmed. I’ve updated my prediction accordingly.

Reactions: mbdfan
Also for comparison, those four Andrews wins are against teams that are 1-23.

LoL thank you for updating the score prediction because I only responded when I saw you say Swain would put up 35!
I’m going Hayesville 24 Swain 21

Reactions: BK13T-$
Should be interesting game. Although Swain dominated in all aspects of the game against Andrews it wasn’t a pretty game to watch. If you are only winning 14 to 0 with 4 minutes left in the game against a team who were down to their 4th QB who hasn’t played football since youth league along with other key injuries on a roster of 20 players at Swain on Homecoming Night. Swains defense is the real deal and solid as can be. It’s hard to tell about their offense because they seemed to be using this game to try a lot of different things and a lot of passes. With all that being said I just can’t say how they will matchup against Hayesville. The biggest question is can Hayesville score on Swain. Hayesville held Murphy’s high potent offense to 21 points so this might be a really good game to see

Last edited:
LoL. I love how you just casually leave out 2 upper tier teams on Hayesville’s schedule in Pisgah and Murphy. Do you agree that Hayesville will be Swain’s toughest opponent yet?
Actually nope. I think Smoky and Tuscola are better than Hayesville.

And if you put Pisgah and Murphy back into the equation, Hayesville's opponents are 16-19. Has that factored into Hayesville having a winning record so far?

Murphy could have beat Smoky by 40 with a couple things going differently, going to have to strongly disagree that they're better than Hayesville.

Smoky was a little bit better offensively than Hayesville but Hayesville was a lot better defensively than Smoky, based on watching both teams against Murphy anyway.

Last edited:

And if you put Pisgah and Murphy back into the equation, Hayesville's opponents are 16-19. Has that factored into Hayesville having a winning record so far?
LoL. Dude come on. Tuscola is bad (2-4) this year and Smoky is 2-5 so you’re clearly mistaken. Murphy put up 50 on Smoky. LoL

16-19 is a tougher schedule than 13-24. Of course not by a whole bunch but Hayesville has played tougher opponents than Swain is all I’m saying. You coming to the game Friday in Hayesville?

Smoky isn’t much at all. Trust me. They have issues up there. My brother plays up there and they don’t have their best players on the field. Lots of politics.

• Wow
Reactions: MACS2618
LoL. Dude come on. Tuscola is bad (2-4) this year and Smoky is 2-5 so you’re clearly mistaken. Murphy put up 50 on Smoky. LoL

16-19 is a tougher schedule than 13-24. Of course not by a whole bunch but Hayesville has played tougher opponents than Swain is all I’m saying. You coming to the game Friday in Hayesville?
Exactly not by much.

Nope not planning on going. Why?

If Hayesville is good defensively they have a good shot at winning this game. I believe swains defense is better than Murphy's but they are not as good on offense. I've not got to see Hayesville play yet but swain and Murphy are probably about the same caliber of teams.

Reactions: MACS2618
If Hayesville is good defensively they have a good shot at winning this game. I believe swains defense is better than Murphy's but they are not as good on offense. I've not got to see Hayesville play yet but swain and Murphy are probably about the same caliber of teams.
I agree with this. I will say if Swain can get rolling it might be a rout, but if they get frustrated all hell might break loose. These teams traditionally get rather testy with each other so whoever can keep a cool head will have a clear advantage.

I agree with this. I will say if Swain can get rolling it might be a rout, but if they get frustrated all hell might break loose. These teams traditionally get rather testy with each other so whoever can keep a cool head will have a clear advantage.
Hayesville only scoring 14 on Murphy does t give me confidence they can put that or more up against Swain. Somebody may win this 8-7

This game will come to down to swain offense excusing, if they can maintain drives and hold onto the ball Swain win, if not it can go either way. Swain D hasn't given up a 100 yards of rush in a game this year and with Haysville a have run team I don't see them score more then TD or so.

Swain 14
Haysville 7

I think you could not be more wrong….as of this point in the season Hayesville takes Tuscola behind the wood shed. Tuscola could not stop your grandmas rest home rushing attack and Hayesville is physical upfront. Hayesville and SM would be a really good matchup imo. But SM is improving took them a few weeks to find a new identity. Tough when you prepare with one qb all of season and he leaves you high and dry just before the season starts.

Ok not that you all care about my two cents but here it is. Watched Hayesville and Pisgah live (lots of Hayesville crowd doesn’t care for me) however I will say Hayesville played really hard they have decent size upfront and on D the front 7 are pretty solid led by McClure who is really good. Secondary wasn’t what I would call weak but Is the weaker part of the D. They were well coached at what they do. On offense they struggle a bit more McClure runs really hard and he can 3-5 yard you to death on some drives and eat a lot of clock if you’re not careful. At that point of the season if they got behind the chains they had a really really hard time throwing the football. I think they completed one or two passes against Pisgah with minimal yardage. Not a team made to play from behind.

Swain I watched the video of them and Tuscola. So I was not there in person and probably don’t have as good of a feel about them as Hayesville. However they did look really good running the ball as they normally do but everyone is looking good running the ball against Tuscola so far, so hard to judge for me there. Hayesville will be much tougher up front against the run imo. However Swain looked really good on the D line and I’m not sure Hayesville can put many points on them if they take care of the football.

All that to say after at least looking at both teams I think Swain is the better ball team. However the margin is much slimmer in the match up than it has been probably in sometime. Hayesville will make Swain earn it with the game being played at Hayesville. If Swain continues the turnover problems that you all speak of they could get themselves in trouble, the talent gap is not wide enough for them to give up the football and give Hayesville good field position. Also one other tid bit about Hayesville if memory serves me correct (games start running together as the years pass and to lazy to look back) they have a heck of a kicker may have put several in the end zone on kickoff-did give up one kick return td to Pisgah. But that is a big weapon in high school.

My prediction low scoring-but I’ll give the devils a slight edge 14-7 but I would not be surprised at all to see Hayesville pull it off. The Devils better come to play

Hayesville vs Swain the last few years has been anyone’s ball game. Most of the time advantage away team.
Hayesville won at Swain last year.
Swain won at Hayesville 2021.
Hayesville won at Swain in 2020 in April.

Don’t know that any have lead to offers but McClure has been on some pretty big ACC visits this year. Duke and VT

They do have a common opponent this season in Madison
Hayesville won 55-20
Swain won 35-16

Don’t know that any have lead to offers but McClure has been on some pretty big ACC visits this year. Duke and VT
He has D1 offers from Air Force, Navy and Army. Still looking for his first Power 5 offer.

That was an ugly game for Swain for no reason, nearly all the points/yds for Madison came exclusively from penalties.
If you watched the game on MDN, you would have seen some bullish calls. Check their offense line had as many tackles as their defense. Lol. We had one play ejected without even touching anyone. SMH, that one is over and the main issue I have is the Devils seem to play down to the level of competition this year.

If you watched the game on MDN, you would have seen some bullish calls. Check their offense line had as many tackles as their defense. Lol. We had one play ejected without even touching anyone. SMH, that one is over and the main issue I have is the Devils seem to play down to the level of competition this year.
I did watch on MDN, I thought he got ejected for talking to the refs/cussing too much.

To your last point though, playing down to their competition is a huge issue, doesn't seem like they know how to finish games yet or step on the opponents throat and take control when they need too. Case and point was the drive against Tuscola in the second Qtr. down 7 when they whipped them all the way down the field to the 15 yd line before fumbling, then allowing Tuscola to score on the very next play. They didn't realize they were crushing the life out of Tuscola and was a series away from just steamrolling them.

Hopefully Swain can control the LOS and not get into an air attack against Hayesville. Jackets whooped them last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT