ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs Lincolnton

It's gonna be a good one!!!

I hope Mr Lincolnton gets to go! Good friend and I can already imagine him pacing back and forth on the back row ....

Of course I want the lions to win but if the wolves do beat us I'll pull for them to win it all ....with that said GO LIONS ha

I got to enjoy Mr. Lincolnton's company, along with a great Golden Lion fan,for breakfast this morning. Our pre Bumblebee Bowl meal was one of reminiscing and many projected outcomes. I told Mr. Lincolnton that he needed to get him a huge hat with white lights on it. As he paced he would distract the Shelby side, fans and team, like a "Brown Mountain Light on steroids"LOL

Last edited:
I got to enjoy Mr. Lincolnton's company, along with a great Golden Lion fan,for breakfast this morning. Our pore Bumblebbe Bowl meal was one of reminiscing and many projected outcomes. I told Mr. Lincolnton that he needed to get him a huge hat with white lights on it. As he paced he would distract the Shelby side, fans and team, like a "Brown Mountain Light on steroids"LOL

Lincolnton, you definitely need to do it. Channel my brother JJ.

Cheerduck, I want pictures.

I got to enjoy Mr. Lincolnton's company, along with a great Golden Lion fan,for breakfast this morning. Our pre Bumblebee Bowl meal was one of reminiscing and many projected outcomes. I told Mr. Lincolnton that he needed to get him a huge hat with white lights on it. As he paced he would distract the Shelby side, fans and team, like a "Brown Mountain Light on steroids"LOL
Cheerduck, last year when I was ill, Lincolnton sent my wife a custom-made Thomasville Bulldogs hat to give me when I "woke up". Not sure I can reciprocate on short notice, but please tell Lincolnton that, if he can find the hat, I'll be glad to bear the cost. Spit out my coffee just thinking of the image. It would go great with the coveralls.

I've always had a great appreciation for the Shelby program and enjoyed meeting Shelby Lion a few years ago at Wake. But I'm pulling for the Wolves in this one. Wish I could be there to watch what I feel sure will be a great game between two class programs.

Two great programs:

16 state championship games between them since 1986...

Shelby 7 state championships - '86, '87, '98, '05, '06, '13, '14
Lincolnton 2 state championships - '93, '07

Shelby 4 state runners-up - '88, '97, '04, '07
Lincolnton 3 state runners-up - '94, '05, '11

Here's what's cool...since 1986, at least one of these teams has been in a state championship game 14 of 29 years (this year will be 15 of 30), with both teams going in both 2005 and 2007.

Wow!!!

Reactions: LHSWolves
I was actually surprised that Nick Hatchett hasn't been full time on defense. This kid is tough and has a high motor. Last time I saw him he was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger during wrestling season. Ranked #5 in wrestling this year.

Cheerduck, last year when I was ill, Lincolnton sent my wife a custom-made Thomasville Bulldogs hat to give me when I "woke up". Not sure I can reciprocate on short notice, but please tell Lincolnton that, if he can find the hat, I'll be glad to bear the cost. Spit out my coffee just thinking of the image. It would go great with the coveralls.

I've always had a great appreciation for the Shelby program and enjoyed meeting Shelby Lion a few years ago at Wake. But I'm pulling for the Wolves in this one. Wish I could be there to watch what I feel sure will be a great game between two class programs.

it was a treat meeting you fellas at Wake a couple years ago....

Funny thing was: I was sitting there with Duck, Footsoldier, Seadog and others, and I saw Lincolnton WAY down toward the bottom, we started yelling, he was making his way up to us, stopping every few feet, putting his hands over his eyes to shield the sun, then he would walk a few more steps and do it again... At one point he was a mere 30-40 feet from us, and still didnt see us..... He actually started walking the other way.... LOL..... Finally found us though.... One of the finest people you'll ever meet in ol JD..... And yes he had on his coveralls that day.....

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I'm thinking Wake, State, Clemson, and UNC are the only four official offers Dax has, but everyone is looking at him.

I'm thinking Wake, State, Clemson, and UNC are the only four official offers Dax has, but everyone is looking at him.
If he stays healthy there will be many more.

I took a look at the Maxprep stats and it has QB Lee at -.6 yards running average. So that must be sacks basically and the one run against Crest. I remember that run, looked like he didn't want to do it but said what the heck and then hit the ground. Kid is very comfortable in the pocket.

Shelby's QB can run, but coaches prefer him to stay in the pocket and throw so as to not risk injury.

On the season he has 147 positive rushing yards and 2 TDs, but he has lost 181 yards in sack yardage...

Remember, this kid played LB on Varsity last year...

If he stays healthy there will be many more.

I took a look at the Maxprep stats and it has QB Lee at -.6 yards running average. So that must be sacks basically and the one run against Crest. I remember that run, looked like he didn't want to do it but said what the heck and then hit the ground. Kid is very comfortable in the pocket.

When we played RS Central we threw the ball every single play in the first half... Then in the third quarter right before they took Lee out, he was chased out of the pocket.... First run of the day for Shelby.... You are right he is very comfortable in the pocket.... He's not going to tuck and run often if at all.... You mentioned earlier about his line giving him plenty of time this season... Absolutely correct for most of the season and most of the games... They have played outstanding this season.... No doubt we are a passing club, but we can run it as well, when we have too...

Guys, I don't know if any team in the state has any tougher road than we do, Friday. I never pick against the Wolves for a few reasons, and I always believe we can win. I've seen the Lions play and they score so quickly... Posters saying "That's why they play the game". has been said so much until it's about worn out, but it's true.

Honestly, I don't know what else to say about it other than it's exciting and it feels good to make it this far and see your team in a game that will decide who plays for the state title. Cheerduck, OC Davis, Sasha, GoDevilsGo, the Shelby posters and the Lincolnton posters all know that feeling as all of our teams have been there and all have won state titles.

About the lights and hat, I just don't know. Our people are very tolerant and it's something I'm proud of. They tolerate my pacing and peculiarities, well, but tossing in the lights and hat, this might cause them to have to get tough with me. I'll confess to you, I'm quite good at making a fool out of myself so I'll give it some thought for next year. It does have its appeal...By the way, A long time ago, a friend at school gave me a cowboy hat. On the front it said "Dodge City Marshal". My Father told me I looked like a bug under a lettuce leaf.

Shelby Lion, I thank you for being good to people on here, and ancient sorts, like me, but sometimes, I wonder, if you know how impressive and positively influential some of the things you leave on here really are. Recently, on another thread, you portrayed a classic example of the sun and the lesson it teaches in Aesop's fable "The North wind and the sun". Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Guys, I don't know if any team in the state has any tougher road than we do, Friday. I never pick against the Wolves for a few reasons, and I always believe we can win. I've seen the Lions play and they score so quickly... Posters saying "That's why they play the game". has been said so much until it's about worn out, but it's true.

Honestly, I don't know what else to say about it other than it's exciting and it feels good to make it this far and see your team in a game that will decide who plays for the state title. Cheerduck, OC Davis, Sasha, GoDevilsGo, the Shelby posters and the Lincolnton posters all know that feeling as all of our teams have been there and all have won state titles.

About the lights and hat, I just don't know. Our people are very tolerant and it's something I'm proud of. They tolerate my pacing and peculiarities, well, but tossing in the lights and hat, this might cause them to have to get tough with me. I'll confess to you, I'm quite good at making a fool out of myself so I'll give it some thought for next year. It does have its appeal...By the way, A long time ago, a friend at school gave me a cowboy hat. On the front it said "Dodge City Marshal". My Father told me I looked like a bug under a lettuce leaf.

Shelby Lion, I thank you for being good to people on here, and ancient sorts, like me, but sometimes, I wonder, if you know how impressive and positively influential some of the things you leave on here really are. Recently, on another thread, you portrayed a classic example of the sun and the lesson it teaches in Aesop's fable "The North wind and the sun". Keep up the good work.

You are a good man JD.....

When I first read this post about Aesops Fable: I thought what does he mean, Then I realized

It teaches about the superiority of persuasion over force or perhaps "Gentleness and kind persuasion win, where force and bluster fail"

Good work sir, good work..... Hope to see you pacing over on the other side friday... Ill be sure to wave...

Good post guys. It has been said Lincolnton has improved thru the season and that is true. Something about the Wolves happens after the first three games. I think unlike some coaches, Lincolnton makes changes to positions and scheme to push the team forward. A few years back I think they had three losses early and went on to put a beating on the rest.

Same can be said for Shelby but everyone knows they play a very difficult nonconference schedule every year. I can remember a number of years back the had four losses early and a Newton guy said he wasn't worried about Shelby in the playoffs that they were horrible. I told him I guess they will only make it to the western finals then or state championship. He laughed at me but they played in the western finals. I brought it up at a game but it was obvious he didn't want to talk about it.

I know some of Shelby guys like say the SD7 is weak. Boy it is so weak we have two teams playing in 2A and 2AA western finals. Sorry Shelby guys, I like you knuckle draggers but if there is room I think I will be sitting on the Lincolnton side with the SD7 brothers. Whoever wins should be taking a trophy home next week.

I'll be on the L-Town side if my brother will go along with me.LOL..L-Town fans get tense when it's Championship football time. OC, Lincolnton will have those coveralls and the glasses made up of four or five different pairs and will be pacing away. The poor fellow is slap worn out working extra hours, in trade, with his fellow employees to get the time off to watch his Wolves.

I hope this is a very competitive game for the ages.

I'll be on the L-Town side if my brother will go along with me.LOL..L-Town fans get tense when it's Championship football time. OC, Lincolnton will have those coveralls and the glasses made up of four or five different pairs and will be pacing away. The poor fellow is slap worn out working extra hours, in trade, with his fellow employees to get the time off to watch his Wolves.

I hope this is a very competitive game for the ages.
I wasn't gonna bring up the glasses, Cheerduck. Especially after Shelby Lion relating that story about us watching him make his long trek to the top of the stadium at Wake. Maybe you guys should wear that white-lighted hat as a beacon. But allow plenty of walking room on that top row. I remember pacing a few steps with him myself when my son was kicking against EL.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I'm thinking 45-21, Shelby, but like I said in an earlier post, we will win by at least two touchdowns. Book it!

Lincolnton will see first hand what explosive, game breaking athletes we have in Jayden Borders and Antwan Wright.

Last edited:
Well if that's the case then I guess we will have to go with a saying or former coach Scott clonninger use to say you need to win a game you should have lost to play in a state championship game. Mabey that game will be tomorrow night

I'm thinking 45-21, Shelby, but like I said in an earlier post, we will win by at least two touchdowns. Book it!

Lincolnton will see first hand what explosive, game breaking athletes we have in Jayden Borders and Antwan Wright.
Now how bad did you have us beating Mt Pleasant?

Now how bad did you have us beating Mt Pleasant?
That game was closer than it should have been, and you know it. Mount Pleasant is a rugged bunch that plays us tough, but you know that WE made that game closer than it should have been, but every championship caliber has those type of games. Remember RS threatening us in 06? Of course, you do. Also, why do you not acknowledge us being without one of the best receivers in the state making a difference, as well the other missing, very solid receiver? Ain't but so many losses a team can suffer, and it not make a difference.

Come on man. 45-21 Lion Attack? You go ahead and book that. I hope you don't do it with Christmas present money. Momma's gonna be pee ode. I'm gonna get you in a good AA 12 step program. See step 10.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Come on man. 45-21 Lion Attack? You go ahead and book that. I hope you don't do it with Christmas present money. Momma's gonna be pee ode. I'm gonna get you in a good AA 12 step program. See step 10.
Yep, I'm serious. Seriously, you've seen us at our best. Would it really surprise you if we win by a minimum of 14 points? We have looked sloppy lately, but we will be up for Lincolnton.

And, GDG, I said to book it in us winning by at least two tds,14 points. Book that!!!

Yep, I'm serious. Seriously, you've seen us at our best. Would it really surprise you if we win by a minimum of 14 points? We have looked sloppy lately, but we will be up for Lincolnton.
Nothing's going to surprise me. I know the Mighty Lions can pour it on if they start fast. 24 for points for me is off base but I will say if Lincolnton gets the least bit conservative and punts more than twice its over. I said every year the same thing when East Lincoln played Lincolnton. Punting and conservative play will not get it done. Lincolnton is going to have some fourth downs with one or two. If over the 45 yard line punting may sound safe but it will not matter where Shelby starts, they don't pound it out and the other team hope for a break. The drive is getting air time just like East Lincoln. A five yard pass easily goes 20-80 if in the hands of Wright, Borders, or Camp. The after the catch for Shelby is the real killer. Not going to catch them after the first ten yards.

My worry LA is we have not played up to our potential in a long time.Lincolnton is a big time football program that will not come in intimidated in any way,are well coached and will know whats at stake.Must play our very best.

It's a legit perspective! Have you seen the Wolves play?
I just think we have a special team at Shelby this season, and when we are focused, and but full strength, no one has/can stopped our offense.

No disrespect and nothing against Lincolnton, but w/ the exception of South Point and East Lincoln , you guys haven't played anyone, and it will show up tomorrow. I am aware of your running back, but we have played against 3 of the best backs in the state, and those guys star on 3A teams w/ bigger offensive lines. Z's son, #82 along with 19 are impressive, too. Defensively, y'all are solid, but you all gave up 33 points to East Gaston who were without Robert Washington at that time.

My worry LA is we have not played up to our potential in a long time.Lincolnton is a big time football program that will not come in intimidated in any way,are well coached and will know whats at stake.Must play our very best.
I can certainly agree w/ you on us not playing up to our potential lately, but we will come out fired up versus the Wolves, clicking on all cylinders.

Reactions: '98 State Champion
I just hope your coaching staff and players are as confident as you are with a easy win Friday night. I promise you that will benefit us greatly

I see Lincolton's young quarterback making some mistakes, too. He's going to be a great one for the Wolves, and he's an even better basketball player, but the stage my be a little too big for the youngster tomorrow.

I just hope your coaching staff and players are as confident as you are with a easy win Friday night. I promise you that will benefit us greatly
It won't benefit you guys at all. It will just be a case of you guys losing to the only 3 good teams you've played this season. I respect Reidsville as a program, but they were down this year.

Here's what I will say:

We will spot you 120 yds on penalties. That's just what we do.
If...IF...we play to our potential, even with the penalties, it will be over mid 3rd quarter. Lincolnton is a good team, who I wish was still on our schedule every year. Always a fun game. This year, I'd guess you will be the 6th or 7th best team we've played.. Our schedule has just been stacked, and it will pay off this time of year.

Good luck to all...but mostly to my Lions :)

Reactions: '98 State Champion
Here's what I will say:

We will spot you 120 yds on penalties. That's just what we do.
If...IF...we play to our potential, even with the penalties, it will be over mid 3rd quarter. Lincolnton is a good team, who I wish was still on our schedule every year. Always a fun game. This year, I'd guess you will be the 6th or 7th best team we've played.. Our schedule has just been stacked, and it will pay off this time of year.

Good luck to all...but mostly to my Lions :)
Heck yeah, they're fun to play. I even like their bell.

Look at the bright side, you guys are going to have an absolute smoker in basketball with the addition of that 7 footer along w/ Littlejohn and I think that other kid's name is Crowe. Basketball season is amongst you guys after tomorrow, the warm confines of the gymnasium.

Ok I will give you that we did lose to South point and East Lincoln. But are you sure shelby could have beaten east Lincoln with Surratt. I have watched a lot of shelby film your QB is good but he is by far no Surratt not even close. And the 3rd loss you said we will have the game has yet to be played

Do they have a legit 7'er?

Another positive take away for you guys: You'll get to watch the best team in the state play tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT