ADVERTISEMENT

Round 1: West Caldwell @ Catholic

CatholicCougs14

Jan 4, 2013
Catholic #1 seed in 3A West starts their quest for a fifth state title vs West Caldwell.
First time they have met on the field in 13 years(met in 2003 and 04 in 1st round).
Catholic is rolling right now and is playing as good as I have seen them led by Milan Howard and a stifling defense.
West Caldwell while scoring a good bit, gives up nearly 40 a game. Catholic rolls, but more analysis later

Catholic may be able to name their score, but I do not think they will go out and try to embarrass West Caldwell.
Running clock should be applied if not in first half early in the third.

Reactions: icardcav3
Well I don't know about west but they played south Caldwell and the game went to over time were they won. We (RS central ) played south Caldwell and won. So this WILL not be ANY problem for Catholic. Backups in early

West has a Real good Running back and a good slot receiver who is fast but not very big.

Teams to score on CCs 1st team defense more than once:
Christian- 14pts shut out in 2nd half
Sun Valley- 13 points
Marvin Ridge 14 points, shut out from early 2nd quarter until 2nd team was playing in late 4th.
Catholic's first team D has been very very strong. AK, Weddington, Piedmont, South Meck, Country Day and Cuthbertson did not score a TD on Catholic's first team defense this season. While Catholic's O is chugging along their defense giving up 9PPG is really I think underrated this season.

@cougs14 in you're opinion what makes Catholic's offense so hard to stop? Who are the best weapons on their team?
One thing that many don't take into account is the rarity of the Wing T. Not many HS teams run it anymore, opting for more pro style offenses and the spread. So teams don't see it as much, so when they do it's hard to prepare for.
Also the coaching and discipline Catholic plays with, it starts at Holy Trinity and continues through CC. I think Kevin Christmas the OC and Frank Garcia the OL coach deserve a ton of credit for it and of course Coach Brodowicz.
Best weapon is obviously Milan Howard who has speed to burn! One of the fastest kids in the state regardless of classification. Michael Neel is a helluva player as well versatile just like Howard. Also sophomore TE Garrett McKernon has made a big impact and will continue to for Catholic, he is a talent!
With Catholic this year they have a ton of weapons on offense and excellent coaching that will make them very hard to beat in the playoffs.

Reactions: seadog28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT