ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA and the Adjusted Maxprep Ratings (Updated 9-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mountie you do know that Asheville is the same for Robbinsville and Murphy as nc state is for plymouth.
But yeah one ways crazy and the others not.
I dont have a problem driving it but just stop acting like its anywhere near the same.

Reactions: GreyGod623
Mountie you do know that Asheville is the same for Robbinsville and Murphy as nc state is for plymouth.
I dont have a problem driving it but just stop acting like its anywhere near the same.
Yes, but its not Robbinsville vs the world.

Keep in mind they also factor in the NCHSAA and their staff. For championship events they are NOT going to travel beyond Greensboro to the west. I think a few events have been held that far west (track and field championships, a few baseball championships) but it's rare and most times only when venues in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area cannot be used due to scheduling conflicts. I thought I read somewhere that the NCHSAA has a contract agreement/partnership to hold their championships in the Triangle area. I could be wrong on that, but swear I saw that within the last year or two.

Only one person from the NCHSAA admin is on site by requirement. They travel to Winston Salem. Several were at LR for the western regional basketball championships to see how things ran.

There is not a contract that keeps the championships in any area or site indefinitely. The NCHSAA is open to other spots but the geography and logistics must be looked at when selecting a spot. Also, they are looking for an invite from the city or regional group and some sponsorship money. The title games are not a big money maker.

Wake Forest is the best site except for one major issue, there are only two dressing rooms. That is an issue when there are back to back games or three in one day.

Duke did a great job with the games last season! Very impressed with the facilities and their staff's efforts.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Keep it like it is. Geez these kids get to drive to play at ACC Stadiums. Don't f it up for them because of distance.

When it has been suggested to go to smaller venues the coaches say that the kids want to play at the larger ACC stadiums. It is a reward to play there. I personally prefer a packed 10,000 seat venue but I do not even think there has been close to 10,000 at any one title game recently.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Wake forest is about right after looking at your "facts." Lol.

I have been to games at Robbinsville, Murphy, and Plymouth. I drove from West Forsyth HS last year to Robbinsville for the Murphy game.

Well it used to be worst before when the championships were at the high seeds home field imagine that if it was Murphy and Plymouth 477 miles over 71/2 hours apart.
I've wondered about the stadium at UNCC since they started football there but while I haven't seen an article on why NCHSAA doesn't play a championship there , I did read one regarding the Panthers Bank of America stadium when the teams owner meantioned he would like to see high school games there, NCHSAA gave three reasons why it won't happen two of the three reasons would apply to UNCC
1 as far as Bank of America stadium pro football regular season is still going on. I assume they feel it would be to deficult to have a high school game on Friday or Saturday and a Panthers game on Sunday.
2 That Charlotte is not central located enough. On the map yeah Raleigh- Durham in more in the middle but it depends on the teams , last year's 3AA championship would have been a 34 minutes for one and 1h25m for the other.
3 Which is probably the main reason there won't be one at UNCC or NC A&T , NCHSAA said that they had a relationship with the ACC to have the games in a ACC stadium.

Last edited:
A few years ago the NCHSAA went to the 1A schools and requested they go to four round playoffs. This was when 2A-4A had about 98 football schools and 1A had 76. The thought was to go four rounds and give the 1A schools there day and try to work on the geographical aspect more. The schools (ie coaches and ADs) fought it fiercely. The main complaint was they did not want to be treated any different than the other classifications. Imagine that coming from the group that brought us subdividing and the pod system.

When 1A and 4A went to the 12.5% of schools on the last alignment the four rounds was brought to them. Once again there was backlash but surprisingly the 4A schools seemed more ok with it. They settled on 48 teams with a first round bye. I would like to see 1A and 4A at four rounds. 32 of 76 schools is 42% of the teams qualifying for the playoffs which I think is more sensible. Do not like the bye for the higher 16 seeds!

Well it used to be worst before when the championships were at the high seeds home field imagine that if it was Murphy and Plymouth 477 miles over 71/2 hours apart.
I've wondered about the stadium at UNCC since they started football there but while I haven't seen an article on why NCHSAA doesn't play a championship there , I did read one regarding the Panthers Bank of America stadium when the teams owner meantioned he would like to see high school games there, NCHSAA gave three reasons why it won't happen two of the three reasons would apply to UNCC
1 as far as Bank of America stadium pro football regular season is still going on. I assume they feel it would be to deficult to have a high school game on Friday or Saturday and a Panthers game on Sunday.
2 That Charlotte is not central located enough. On the map yeah Raleigh- Durham in more in the middle but it depends on the teams , last year's 3AA championship would have been a 34 minutes for one and 1h25m for the other.
3 Which is probably the main reason there won't be one at UNCC or NC AT&T , NCHSAA said that they had a relationship with the ACC to have the games in a ACC stadium.

The relationship is not the main reason. If Charlotte would make a strong bid for the games and show some interest UNCC would get the games if they wanted them.

BofA is 75,000 seats. That would swallow up the crowd. Too big in my opinion. If the Panthers would have built a 12,000 seat practice facility downtown (will be in SC) that along with UNCC would have had some positives. If the Panthers have a home game they would not be able to use it.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
The relationship is not the main reason. If Charlotte would make a strong bid for the games and show some interest UNCC would get the games if they wanted them.

BofA is 75,000 seats. That would swallow up the crowd. Too big in my opinion. If the Panthers would have built a 12,000 seat practice facility downtown (will be in SC) that along with UNCC would have had some positives. If the Panthers have a home game they would not be able to use it.
I agree the Panthers stadium is to big , there might be one but I couldn't find an article on UNCC stadium concerning it. I just thought the last two reasons that NCHSAA gave might could apply to both. But UNCC is smaller right now( they built it to expand if need be), then the NC State or UNC and is a very nice stadium, but like you say they UNCC might not even what high school games l haven't seen anything with them commenting on it.

A&T would be perfect size and location. Parking would be tough. A&T has been approached and showed zero interest in hosting. FCS do not want to commit due to a potential playoff home game and the NCHSAA is a bit leery but think they could work it out although they would only have six days time to make the change.

]
A few years ago the NCHSAA went to the 1A schools and requested they go to four round playoffs. This was when 2A-4A had about 98 football schools and 1A had 76. The thought was to go four rounds and give the 1A schools there day and try to work on the geographical aspect more. The schools (ie coaches and ADs) fought it fiercely. The main complaint was they did not want to be treated any different than the other classifications. Imagine that coming from the group that brought us subdividing and the pod system.

When 1A and 4A went to the 12.5% of schools on the last alignment the four rounds was brought to them. Once again there was backlash but surprisingly the 4A schools seemed more ok with it. They settled on 48 teams with a first round bye. I would like to see 1A and 4A at four rounds. 32 of 76 schools is 42% of the teams qualifying for the playoffs which I think is more sensible. Do not like the bye for the higher 16 seeds!

I guess the next playoff changes we'll see will be in a couple years.
The commissioner announced in May after the boards spring meeting.. that the NCHSAA plans to create a 5A class, will postpone the realignment process by a year, and could result in massive changes to the realignment process, conference assignments, and state playoffs.

A&T would be perfect size and location. Parking would be tough. A&T has been approached and showed zero interest in hosting. FCS do not want to commit due to a potential playoff home game and the NCHSAA is a bit leery but think they could work it out although they would only have six days time to make the change.

With the deal the MEAC has for the Celebration Bowl the chances A&T plays in the FCS playoffs is very unlikely.

With the deal the MEAC has for the Celebration Bowl the chances A&T plays in the FCS playoffs is very unlikely.

The conversations with A&T were before the bowl game. I question the bowl game option over the FCS playoffs.

Elon was actually the FCS school that made the statement that it would look like they were giving up on their team if they scheduled a game when they could get a home playoff game. That was about ten years ago.

The Location of specific schools have nothing to do with it. You try to have the games played as close to the center of the state as you can.

The conversations with A&T were before the bowl game. I question the bowl game option over the FCS playoffs.

Elon was actually the FCS school that made the statement that it would look like they were giving up on their team if they scheduled a game when they could get a home playoff game. That was about ten years ago.

I think the bowl game option has paid huge dividends for the MEAC and SWAC. The MEAC teams never had hardly any success in the FCS playoffs. A&T has had a couple of teams in recent years that could have made good runs in the playoffs however, but I think the MEAC is in a better place doing what they're doing. It's been a good success for them.

I think the bowl game option has paid huge dividends for the MEAC and SWAC. The MEAC teams never had hardly any success in the FCS playoffs. A&T has had a couple of teams in recent years that could have made good runs in the playoffs however, but I think the MEAC is in a better place doing what they're doing. It's been a good success for them.

I know the last HC at A&T. He said the payout to the conference was a big motivator. Think he would have liked to went to the playoffs. I believe a national FCS title is much more impressive than beating Grambling (he was the HC there, too) or Alcorn State. The SWAC's season ends so late they cannot participate in the FCS playoffs so the bowl works huge for them. Either way, glad they have a game to play.

All I know is we were so excited for the state championship it looked like whoville at Christmas time. We came out 5,000 plus strong to Winston Salem. We only have 15k residents in the whole county.

Sounds like our first time at the state championship in Kenan. We basically had the whole county. Richmond County played after us and their fans were commenting on what a big crowd this little 1A school had. It was a great compliment coming from at that time the dynasty in N.C. HS football.

Reactions: Mhsneer
All I know is we were so excited for the state championship it looked like whoville at Christmas time. We came out 5,000 plus strong to Winston Salem. We only have 15k residents in the whole county.[/QUOTE

The last number I heard was around 7k. Mitchell travels well I've seen many times Mitchell out number the home side, the woman taking tickets this year at Erwin said she tickled to see so much purple, good gate money, one year at Mtn Heritage the ticket person told me as I was buying my ticket they had estimated selling around 4k on the visitor side.

Reactions: Mhsneer
In regards to location, I think the opportunity to play in an ACC stadium and facilities trumps the amount of travel. Most of the kids will never see a field on Saturday at that level. Let them have their moment.

As far as the travel time for fans....I don’t care if they are playing the game in the Walmart parking lot, if that’s where the trophy is being handing out, I will be there.

On the issue of the adjusted ratings, it truly is fuzzy math. Kinda like the ‘super delegates’ the democrats used to hose Bernie Sanders.

Asheville is not as far west as you think, you can still travel 2 hours plus and still be in NC

A bunch.....I think 12 is right for schools that have football teams. Several more that do not have football but compete in other sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I never suggested it should change, my initial comment was that Asheville is not the end of the state. Theres a lot of ground west of Asheville. I wonder if someone knows how many years a team West of Asheville has been in the state championship? Best I can tell from NCHSAA records is at least 45 since 1972

Last edited:
There's just no reasoning with a Robbinsville fan. Everything from Murphy to the NCHSAA has conspired against them for some nefarious reason or another. If they played in the state championship every single year, and the game was held at Western, they would complain that the bus ride didn't give the team enough time to prepare mentally...

I never suggested it should change, my initial comment was that Asheville is not the end of the state. Theres a lot of ground west of Asheville. I wonder if someone knows how many years a team West of Asheville has been in the state championship? Best I can tell from NCHSAA records is at least 45 since 1972
And 216 teams East of Asheville has been in the state championship since 1972. The math still doesn't add up.

How about when the west regional champion was Elkin, North Duplin,and Mt Airy. Does it make sense to have the west team travel west to the title game?!? Small distance could be acceptable but the sensible fight fir the SMC teams is to get the games in the Triad (A&T, Elon, Wake Forest, HP Simeon Stadium) or Charlotte. If it goes to Charlotte you lose the argument that Raleigh is too far from the middle of the state.

How about when the west regional champion was Elkin, North Duplin,and Mt Airy. Does it make sense to have the west team travel west to the title game?!? Small distance could be acceptable but the sensible fight fir the SMC teams is to get the games in the Triad (A&T, Elon, Wake Forest, HP Simeon Stadium) or Charlotte. If it goes to Charlotte you lose the argument that Raleigh is too far from the middle of the state.

How about when Elkin went all the way though the playoffs on 2006 and didn't see one western team? North Duplin had to go to Cherokee then back to Elkin that year. NC isn't an easy state to navigate geographically. Someone is going to be inconvenienced at some point.

Reactions: btango and BK13T-$
I will say if there was a change I think the best option would be to make the 1A permanently play at Wake Forest. Keep the ACC stadiums in it.

Why couldn't they set things up the week before? Identify the 16 teams playing for state titles and set the games the best they can based upon travel.

Reactions: Emmasdaddy1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT