ADVERTISEMENT

8 classes breakdown

Against this move completely, waters down state championships, not enough schools for classes to be fair and like always… the small schools getting screwed

• Love
Reactions: btango
Dogstuff don't act like you not crunching number. 😂
You still got a year. I have faith you will be 1a.
Murphy stayed around 470/500 for a decade until this new system started playing out and BAM numbers started dropping. Lol.

I know some of that is the ran down schools with no fix in sight. Maybe that was the plan.

I'm halfway kidding. Or 20% anyway. 😁
Already under 400.

I can not remember Mount Airy being over around 550 until the last 2 ADMs. Always up and down and as low as 505 a few years ago. So if other schools are up and down this can change come the new realignment and the new 8 classifications. But it is what it is and some of us may not be here to see it.

I can not remember Mount Airy being over around 550 until the last 2 ADMs. Always up and down and as low as 505 a few years ago. So if other schools are up and down this can change come the new realignment and the new 8 classifications. But it is what it is and some of us may not be here to see it.
I was poking around on Newspapers.com for some genealogy stuff, then got sidetracked and found an old article that listed the 1992 ADMs for the state. Pretty interesting how things have changed. Back then only 10-12 counted for ADM, so numbers a little smaller but Cherokee was 149 (so around 200 9-12). Elkin was 203 (so probably 270ish 9-12). And now looks like both will be 2A schools soon. MA was 360 at that time (so probably around 480 9-12), so I think you're correct TD that this is pretty big for MA historically.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I was poking around on Newspapers.com for some genealogy stuff, then got sidetracked and found an old article that listed the 1992 ADMs for the state. Pretty interesting how things have changed. Back then only 10-12 counted for ADM, so numbers a little smaller but Cherokee was 149 (so around 200 9-12). Elkin was 203 (so probably 270ish 9-12). And now looks like both will be 2A schools soon. MA was 360 at that time (so probably around 480 9-12), so I think you're correct TD that this is pretty big for MA historically.
Mount Airy was 2A in the early 2000s I think. 3A in most of the 1960s all the 1970s maybe and then 2A sometime in the 1980s and then 1A around sometime in the 90s or 2000s. Someone else may know the year that they dropped classification each time. Maybe DaddyDoug, the BEAR historian will see this and let us know.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about Madison with an adm of 387. They are currently larger than Mitchell, Avery and the Green team. Bk any ideas of how they pulled this off?😀
The final ADM for 2022-23 that they used for this season does have Madison @ 657 but the first month of this year 2023-24 which I believe he is using does show Madison @ 388. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Reactions: The Deerhunter
That 1A field of teams is a train wreck. And WSP at 152 students and being able to compete shows how blind they are to charter schools.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
WSP not a charter, part of Forsyth Co Schools. Issue with them is that all of Forsyth Co is open enrollment. Just another reason why classifying enrollment only is outdated
County wide magnet. County allows students to transfer without a residential move.

One of the biggest issues with the smaller classifications in NC are open enrollment schools, whether Parochial, magnet, charter, or traditional schools that allow it.

Here is a wcti12.com article that you might like. wcti12.com/sports/content/lucky-number-7-tarboro-football-team-aims-for-7th-state-title-against-mount-airy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT