ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 teams in WNC regardless of classification

Titanman27

Sep 4, 2019
Asheville Citizen Times used to (maybe they still do but their coverage sucks) of the top 10 teams in WNC. This included McDowell, Rutherford and all the counties directly west (and a few north) of there. I only include public schools.

Here is my top 10 as of October 9-

1. Reynolds
2. Roberson
3. West Henderson
4. Robbinsville
5. Murphy
6. Pisgah
7. Swain
8. Mitchell
9. Mtn. Heritage
10. Brevard

This is their local regional newspaper. Covers the conferences with teams in their area. Asheville would be the hub. "Western" is a misnomer the way the NCHSAA views it. I lived in Marion where McDowell HS is. Worked in Spruce Pine (Mitchell Co.) and Morganton and lived in Robbinsville. Spent 10 years of my life living and working there. 2 kids born in Marion. That is a great newspaper and covers high school sports in that area very well, or it once did.

Last edited:
This is the Greensboro area's top High School Football Rankings for 10/8/2023 also regardless of classification. I think this puts Mount Airy an all western NC top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swo1980
Yep, and a 7-0 Watauga gets left off most regional coverage areas. My "yep" was in reference to BK. He nailed it. Coverage area may vary from year to year.

Asheville Citizen Times used to (maybe they still do but their coverage sucks) of the top 10 teams in WNC. This included McDowell, Rutherford and all the counties directly west (and a few north) of there. I only include public schools.

Here is my top 10 as of October 9-

1. Reynolds
2. Roberson
3. West Henderson
4. Robbinsville
5. Murphy
6. Pisgah
7. Swain
8. Mitchell
9. Mtn. Heritage
10. Brevard
This is only SWNC and does not really include all WNC schools.

This is only SWNC and does not really include all WNC schools.
He qualified his topic by mentioning Asheville Citizen-Times and the coverage that many McDowell and west are familiar with. He isn't trying to exclude Mt. Airy nor get into the exact coordinates of where "East, West, Southwest, etc" occur in NC. If you're from the area BK13T mentions you'll better interpret this discussion and it isn't intended as a slight to anyone.

This is the Greensboro area's top High School Football Rankings for 10/8/2023 also regardless of classification. I think this puts Mount Airy an all western NC top 10.
I remember back in the seventies the Greensboro paper was the only paper in the state that ranked high school teams.

Just like the Asheville paper put out an All-WNC meaning in their selected area.

WS Journal puts out an All-Northwest team meaning they’re coverage area from Watauga to Forsyth to Surry to Davidson County plus those areas in between like Wilkes, Yadkin, Davie, Alleghany, Stokes.

I have no issue with it. I was just wondering what they considered WNC.
I grew up in Caldwell County, so due to my personal experiences, I always considered west of I-77 western NC and would consider teams like Watauga, West Lincoln, Hickory for this kind of list. Hickory is closer to Asheville than Murphy, so didn't know if that would be considered in their coverage area, but I guess that leave that for Hickory Daily Record.

I like the standings with the Twitter post. I just don’t understand how some have mountain heritage above draughn in the rankings. Should be a good game in 2 weeks.

Anyone who lives in WNC, knows what WNC is. It’s a specific region centered around Asheville media coverage.

WNC is not the entire western side of NC.

Reactions: f-ball-ace
Reactions: Swo1980
I think you guys are quibbling over semantics. Piedmont literally means “at the foot of a mountain”. There are certainly hills in the Mount Airy area, so foothills and piedmont are virtually interchangeable. I doubt any Mount Airy residents think of themselves as a mountain town.

Ehh.. I think that would be a pretty good game. Reynolds may win in the 4th quarter with having the depth needed to win. I think itd be a good football game.
Are you talking about RJR Reynolds HS in Winston Salem or Reynolds HS in Asheville?

West Henderson might be better than Reynolds too. They have been really impressive. I just wonder how their defense will hold up when they play some of the better teams in the playoffs.

Yes I think West and Rville would beat AC Reynolds. They're still without RB.

Even without their RB I think they beat both but it would be close. They have played an extremely tough schedule.
AC still has 2 good quality backs. They lost by 1 pt and 7 points to the number 24th and 25th overall ranked team in NC in East & West Forsyth and also lost by 1 to the number 27th ranked team overall in the state, Watauga. In comparison.. there isn't a 1A team ranked overall until you get to Mt. Airy which they are 39th. Although Robbinsville may keep it close by half time, even without their star RB.. AC would pull away with their depth and that's playing at Big Oaks. Of all the teams in the West.. I believe West Henderson would be the only ones with a shot of keeping it close. Reynolds has been the cream of the crop in WNC for over 10 years. We will see how good AC is in the west when they play TC Roberson next week. I will definitely have that game as one of the Bonus pics next week.

Anyone who lives in WNC, knows what WNC is. It’s a specific region centered around Asheville media coverage.

WNC is not the entire western side of NC.
Use to be that WNC was West of Old Fort mountain to the Tennessee state line. North to the Virginia line, and South to the Georgia/SC line.

Reactions: Swain97 and Swo1980
West Henderson might be better than Reynolds too. They have been really impressive. I just wonder how their defense will hold up when they play some of the better teams in the playoffs.
West's defense is set up to do well in the playoffs, IMO. They have more speed as a unit than typical Mtn. programs aside from Reynolds. This team isn't as wide open of an offense as last year but I think this year's group is a more complete team than last year.

West's defense is set up to do well in the playoffs, IMO. They have more speed as a unit than typical Mtn. programs aside from Reynolds. This team isn't as wide open of an offense as last year but I think this year's group is a more complete team than last year.
I still think their defense is the weak side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT