ADVERTISEMENT

Top Girl Teams in the West

NCprepbball

Dec 10, 2016
Who are the top teams in the west this year?
There seems to be quite a few transfers.

4A- Mallard Creek (returns quite a bit and a transfer), Lake Norman (returns 4/5 starters), C Catholic (lots of size which includes Thomas/Gough) Independence, Watauga

3A- W Rowan (returns 4/5 starters), E Lincoln (returns a lot in guards and size), AC Reynolds (moves down to 3A), Robinson (Hobbs sisters have left 1of1 and will make Robinson a complete different team).
2A- E Burke, Salisbury (will not be as strong in the past but has Noble and a transfer), Andrews (returns everyone) N Wilkes (returns Bare and her sister is a fresh)
1A- Bishop (returns one of the top juniors in the state), Cherokee (I hear they have some strong fresh), Mtn Heritage (returns quite a bit), E Wilkes, Rosman (returns main players), Albemarle

Others to watch:
1A- Bessemer City, N Rowan
2A- N Stanly, E Surry, E Rutherford
3A- Freedom, Oak Grove, Ashe
4A- N Meck, S Meck

Who are the top teams in the west this year?
There seems to be quite a few transfers.

4A- Mallard Creek (returns quite a bit and a transfer), Lake Norman (returns 4/5 starters), C Catholic (lots of size which includes Thomas/Gough) Independence, Watauga

3A- W Rowan (returns 4/5 starters), E Lincoln (returns a lot in guards and size), AC Reynolds (moves down to 3A), Robinson (Hobbs sisters have left 1of1 and will make Robinson a complete different team).
2A- E Burke, Salisbury (will not be as strong in the past but has Noble and a transfer), Andrews (returns everyone) N Wilkes (returns Bare and her sister is a fresh)
1A- Bishop (returns one of the top juniors in the state), Cherokee (I hear they have some strong fresh), Mtn Heritage (returns quite a bit), E Wilkes, Rosman (returns main players), Albemarle

Others to watch:
1A- Bessemer City, N Rowan
2A- N Stanly, E Surry, E Rutherford
3A- Freedom, Oak Grove, Ashe
4A- N Meck, S Meck
I wouldn’t count out Hibriten to push both Freedom and Ashe in NW 3A/4A

SW Randolph didn't lose much. They could be in the thick of things in 2A. Randleman should still be pretty good as well.

Gotta think West Henderson is going to be in there. They went 22-7 last year and out of 13 girls who averaged at least 1ppg, they return 12 of them including their top 3 scorers. As a matter of fact there was only 1 senior on the entire team and out of those 13 girls, 11 were sophomores and 1 was a freshman. They're going to be really good this year and next.

Last edited:
Would love to say McDowell, but they arent there yet. They should be better than last year and may win the MAC but not like they used to be.

Lake Norman will definitely be a team to watch for in 4A. Several 5’11 and 6’2 to go with it. The twin girls are back as Jrs. They will be tough.

Many people, especially guys, truly underestimate how good the girls basketball is in the western part of the state. Took one of my golfing buddies, who hadn't seen a girls game since he was in high school in the early 70s, to a playoff game last season and he was astonished at the talent level.
Dang, 3daughters, welcome back.

Reactions: 3daughters
Many people, especially guys, truly underestimate how good the girls basketball is in the western part of the state. Took one of my golfing buddies, who hadn't seen a girls game since he was in high school in the early 70s, to a playoff game last season and he was astonished at the talent level.
Especially in 1a the western side is LOADED!!!

4A is going to be super tough.
2A is going to be down a little this year.
You think 2a will be down alittle? I haven’t seen much which is why I was asking. I think 3A will be similar to last year. 4a at the top I think you have a legit 10 teams that have a shot. 1a is deep Bishop Albemarle Cherokee Mtn heritage I think returned a lot North Rowan looks good. I’m sure there is more. Albemarle plays north Rowan bishop eastern Randolph and Chatham charter this year and then is in the Take me to the Queen jamboree showcase with north meck south meck west Charlotte concord academy Charlotte Catholic Hough I think is in it so they will be tested early and often as well as Bishop. Not sure what everybody else has

You think 2a will be down alittle? I haven’t seen much which is why I was asking. I think 3A will be similar to last year. 4a at the top I think you have a legit 10 teams that have a shot. 1a is deep Bishop Albemarle Cherokee Mtn heritage I think returned a lot North Rowan looks good. I’m sure there is more. Albemarle plays north Rowan bishop eastern Randolph and Chatham charter this year and then is in the Take me to the Queen jamboree showcase with north meck south meck west Charlotte concord academy Charlotte Catholic Hough I think is in it so they will be tested early and often as well as Bishop. Not sure what everybody else has
North has west Rowan on the schedule

I think East Burke may be the team to beat in 2A. N Wilkes and Andrews would also be in my top picks.
Salisbury returns Noble, but lost 3 starters. Randleman returns Petty but lost 3 starters.
Shelby lost their main players. Newton Conover lost Geddes.
I think 2A is traditionally tough but will be a little down this year due to so many graduating in 2023.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Bishop lost a lot but still has Varner and Jernigan coming back along with a lot of young players who got a lot of court time because their conference was/is so bad. Jernigan was 1 of only 2 sophomores to make the all state team and currently has offers from NC State, Louisville (almost all ACC schools other than ND) and Tennessee.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Bishop lost a lot but still has Varner and Jernigan coming back along with a lot of young players who got a lot of court time because their conference was/is so bad. Jernigan was 1 of only 2 sophomores to make the all state team and currently has offers from NC State, Louisville (almost all ACC schools other than ND) and Tennessee.
I will say this the top 1a teams can compete with anybody in any class. Like last year I expect the 1a west girls to be extremely deep.

Freedom did not have a senior on last year’s team, so we should get everyone back. I think we really came on at the end, but if coach Reddick can put it together we could be tough.
East Burke lost their two best bigs off last year’s team to graduation. They get back the Stillwell girl and another scorer who’s name escapes me, but they need to rebound and play interior defense in place of those two they lost and I don’t know what they are doing about that.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Congratulations to Bishop's Ryan Blaney for winning the NASCAR championship today. His sister, Emma, played on several of the state championship teams. Wonderful, down to earth family.

Yeah Eastern Randolph twice north rowan twice go to Chatham charter and host bishop. Playing in a jamboree today at South Meck Vs West Charlotte and then South Meck. The talent in girls basketball has risen and in the 1a West especially I think you can see 9-10 really good basketball teams that can play with anybody so you might as well get out there and challenge yourselves early.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Had a chance to see a lot of teams over the last two weeks and I think the

4a west is wide open. Lake Norman Catholic mallard creek north meck south meck Indy Myers park etc a ton of talent!!!!!

3a I think is a two team race. West Rowan and East Lincoln. west Rowan isn’t missing a beat

We beat west Charlotte and lost to south meck by 6 in a dog fight. Northside has a 8th grader that’s 6’2 😳

In my opinion we played west Rowan over summer and then from what I seen Friday they haven’t missed a beat. If they repeat I wouldn’t be surprised.

That’s some decent wins for E Burke. They should be one of the top teams in 2A.

I watched some of the W Henderson/Rosman scrimmage. Pretty evenly balanced teams- WH won by 3. Rosman should do well in 1A with Cheek and Powell back. Looked like they only had 8 players total, so hopefully they won’t experience foul trouble.
WH should do about the same as last year. They have the Wilson twins back but lack support to compete with the top 3A teams.

The Mary Garber Tournament starts today:

Bracket 1:
1- Reynolds vs 8- E Wilkes
4- W Forsyth vs 5- Reagan
3- E Surry vs 6- Mt Tabor
2- N Wilkes vs 7- Parkland

Bracket 2:
1- FCDS vs 8- Carver
4- Lexington vs 5-Atkins
3- Glenn vs 6- N Forsyth
2- E Forsyth vs 7- Walkertown

I wouldn’t be shocked if N Wilkes wins it. Many of the WSFCS schools are down this year.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Reynolds def E Wilkes
Reagan def W Forsyth
Mt Tabor def E Surry
N Wilkes def Parkland

Fcds def Carver
Atkins def Lexington
Glenn/N Forsyth
E Forsyth def Walkertown

I just heard Bare was out for the season for N Wilkes with ACL. Hate to hear that. She is starting to get D1 offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwguilford007
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT