ADVERTISEMENT

"Mountain" Teams

Titanman27

Sep 4, 2019
It has been a good year for teams in the western part of the state in the playoffs. From 1A to 4A the mountains have a shot to make noise in the 3rd round and beyond.

1A- Robbinsville, Mountain Heritage, Swain, Murphy

2A- Brevard

3A- West Henderson, Reynolds

4A- Watauga (TC Roberson only lost by 3 to perennial powerhouse Charlotte Catholic)

It has been a good year for teams in the western part of the state in the playoffs. From 1A to 4A the mountains have a shot to make noise in the 3rd round and beyond.

1A- Robbinsville, Mountain Heritage, Swain, Murphy

2A- Brevard

3A- West Henderson, Reynolds

4A- Watauga (TC Roberson only lost by 3 to perennial powerhouse Charlotte Catholic)
Good year for sure with more opportunity to advance. I am happy for the Pioneers as lots of people have talked trash about their schedule and they go and beat a big Charlotte school. Good job Pioneers!

My son was pretty shocked to see mountains in Randolph County when we took him to the zoo a while back.
Their highest peak is Mt Shepherd
@ 1,1 57ft which is higher than I thought there would be in the middle of the state but in the mountain west I'm not sure if there's a town that sits under 1,500ft. In our tri-county area Bakerville is 2,464ft, Spruce Pine 2,612ft, Burnsville 2,825ft and Newland 3,609ft ( Avery high school I believe is the highest elevation high school in NC @ 3,727ft)

Their highest peak is Mt Shepherd
@ 1,1 57ft which is higher than I thought there would be in the middle of the state but in the mountain west I'm not sure if there's a town that sits under 1,500ft. In our tri-county area Bakerville is 2,464ft, Spruce Pine 2,612ft, Burnsville 2,825ft and Newland 3,609ft ( Avery high school I believe is the highest elevation high school in NC @ 3,727ft)
While definitely not the highest in the old North state I do believe Randolph is home to the oldest…
And definitely ain’t flat 🙄🙄

While definitely not the highest in the old North state I do believe Randolph is home to the oldest…
And definitely ain’t flat 🙄🙄
No not flat. But that's North Carolina we have a little of everything Mountains, Piedmont ( not flat but mostly around the 1,000ft or less level) and the Coast. Thing is I used to talk to people on the phone for my business in other states and it's amazing how many didn't even know that NC had mountains they thought we like other southern states mostly hills at best or beaches while we have no only the highest peak Mt Mitchell in the Appalachian mountains chain but I believe the most peaks over 5,000ft @ 82 and over 6,000ft @ 43.

Yea-McDowell is the gateway to the Smokies or something like that. I think you have to count them, and probably have to count Polk County. I doubt Columbus has an elevation over 1500 feet.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
OMG I wonder if that kick was a mistake or a gamble that really went badly wrong?
Not sure when someone told me about it at church this morning he describe it as the kicker missed hit the ball hitting it on the top of the ball. But the video looks like an onsides kick. I was wondering why they were kicking from the 5 read the score tracker on maxpreps apparently KM had an unsportsman like penalty on the safety play.

OMG I wonder if that kick was a mistake or a gamble that really went badly wrong?

Not sure when someone told me about it at church this morning he describe it as the kicker missed hit the ball hitting it on the top of the ball. But the video looks like an onsides kick. I was wondering why they were kicking from the 5 read the score tracker on maxpreps apparently KM had an unsportsman like penalty on the safety play.
Not sure if I’d even call it a gamble. They were down a score with 50 seconds left. Onside kick was only chance to get the ball back and win. Didn’t work out. Once in a lifetime situation I’d say.

This came up on the Friday night score thread. They described it there as a "10 yard kickoff return for a touchdown." I think he probably fielded the ball at the 13 or 14 yard line, but it might be the shortest kickoff return for a touchdown in history. The thread Friday night said that Kings Mountain got unsportsmanlike conduct penalties after a safety which is why they were kicking off from the five.

This came up on the Friday night score thread. They described it there as a "10 yard kickoff return for a touchdown." I think he probably fielded the ball at the 13 or 14 yard line, but it might be the shortest kickoff return for a touchdown in history. The thread Friday night said that Kings Mountain got unsportsmanlike conduct penalties after a safety which is why they were kicking off from the five.
Yeah the way it was described to me this morning he described it as he had been told an accident kicking the ball short like he accidentally hit the top of the ball. But looking at the video it looks intentional.

I watched the game it was basically over only 50 seconds left. AC Reynolds could not move the ball at all the whole game and won
The stats had to be crazy. Kings Mountain play calling was bad.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Yea-McDowell is the gateway to the Smokies or something like that. I think you have to count them, and probably have to count Polk County. I doubt Columbus has an elevation over 1500 feet.
If my memory is correct Columbus is around 800 but the mountain right behind the town is 2500. Polk starts the mountains…. Tryon peak lets you know your back home when traveling from SC

Reactions: RealStihl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT